PDA

View Full Version : foot relief

PunkRockMantis
08-27-2007, 04:41 PM
i started a new job last week, it involves me to pretty much be walking for the entire shift, i keep getting blisters, i tried a new pair of boots and those gel insert things, but it doesnt seem to help.....any help or suggestions would be most appreciated!

cjurakpt
08-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Merrells (I prefer the Chameleon model myself) - probably the most comfortable shoe known to man: my wife swears by them, wore them through four years of OB/GYN residency, and the only one I've ever recommended to patients (for which I receive no kickback, BTW)

http://www.merrellboot.com/Shop/Category.aspx?C=MensFootwear

NJM
08-27-2007, 05:15 PM
I actually used Dit Da Jow for a while after distance running; blisters, sores etc. went away pretty fast.

Nebuchadnezzar
08-27-2007, 07:55 PM
I actually used Dit Da Jow for a while after distance running; blisters, sores etc. went away pretty fast.

Tell me you didn't put Jow on broken skin! :eek:

NJM
08-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Tell me you didn't put Jow on broken skin! :eek:

No, I didn't.

However even if I had, the tiny amount of Jow wouldn't have been a serious problem (It was just WLE Jow, not jow with Aconite/wolfsbane or anything)

herb ox
08-27-2007, 10:09 PM
PRM - most foot blisters are caused by a combination of friction and moisture. Perspiration softens the skin on your feet, making the layers of skin separate and blister more readily. A generous sprinkling of talcum powder will ease both a bit - however, your tender feet will still take a while to harden and adapt to your new job.

Meanwhile, women's hose stockings (you know, like nylons) under a good pair of wool socks is one of the best preventive measures, as the combination virtually eliminates friction, while the wool wicks away moisture from your feet and cushions the impact. If you're not tough enough to wear the thigh highs, you can just get the ankle stockings or pay $10 for the "men's version" at your local outdoor equipment store.

While you're at it, Google how to apply a moleskin patch to ease the pressure on your existing blisters. Its just good to know how to anyways.

Good luck,

herb ox

TaichiMantis
08-28-2007, 06:04 AM
PRM - most foot blisters are caused by a combination of friction and moisture. Perspiration softens the skin on your feet, making the layers of skin separate and blister more readily. A generous sprinkling of talcum powder will ease both a bit - however, your tender feet will still take a while to harden and adapt to your new job.

Meanwhile, women's hose stockings (you know, like nylons) under a good pair of wool socks is one of the best preventive measures, as the combination virtually eliminates friction, while the wool wicks away moisture from your feet and cushions the impact. If you're not tough enough to wear the thigh highs, you can just get the ankle stockings or pay $10 for the "men's version" at your local outdoor equipment store.

While you're at it, Google how to apply a moleskin patch to ease the pressure on your existing blisters. Its just good to know how to anyways.

Good luck,

herb ox

Yep, moleskin for the hot spots.

lhommedieu
08-28-2007, 06:29 AM
The moleskin/hose/socks strategy should work for you. Don't forget to wash open blisters with an antibiotic soap and dry your feet thoroughly.

Qing Dai San from Kamwo Herbs may help your blisters heal faster. In a pinch you could try Yunnan Bai Yao.

Best,

Steve Lamade

cjurakpt
08-28-2007, 02:19 PM
In a pinch you could try Yunnan Bai Yao.

I personally swear by that stuff - I packed it into a nasty gash on my eyebrow that I got running into the edge of a metal door: something that typically would have needed about 3 stitches; it mended up real nice with almost no scaring in less than a week and without any infection; and yes, it stung like a MF'er, but it was worth it; I carry it around in my son's diaper bag along with the antibiotic cream and burn spray just in case...

"in a pinch"...I get it - that's good, very good...

Snake77
09-04-2007, 10:42 AM
I experience foot pain regularly. My job requires I work standing/some walking for 12hrs. and i'm a large fellow. My problem area are my heels. I got some good work boots and insoles but after 12hrs. they still hurt. I usally take a couple tylenol to work with me and on breaks I take my boots off that helps.

Royal Dragon
09-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Wear some comfy gymshoes. Try Chuck Taylors.

PunkRockMantis
09-04-2007, 04:38 PM
hey Royal Dragon, Chucks wouldn't work on this floor, i would be walking on my ankles if i used those, i picked up some trail hiking shoes and they seem to be doing just fine

Snake77
09-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Where I work requires steel-toe work boots/shoes. Before they were strict on the policy I wore some comfortable shoes. I just have'nt been able to find a long lasting comfort boot.