PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Silat questions

Stranger
07-15-2001, 09:31 PM
1) Is there any distinction between Inonesian Pentchak Silat and Malaysian Bersilat other than what side of a natioanl border they were developed on? Are they basically the same thing? I know there are many diverse style of silat, but I'm asking if they still share a commonality or if there is no relationship?

2) Has anybody here trained with or purchased the tapes of Rudy Ter Linden?

A little off topic,
3) How come on deThours's forum they ask questions about your yearly income and educational background to register? I am not ashamed of my answer for either, but found the questions a little irrelevant for asking questions about silat.

Oh yeah, two more:

Are all silat styles interwoven with the faith of Islam?

What is the difference between the Dutch-Indo styles and the tribal styles?

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

thekuntawman
07-15-2001, 11:28 PM
hello

"1) Is there any distinction between Inonesian Pentchak Silat and Malaysian Bersilat other than what side of a natioanl border they were developed on? Are they basically the same thing? I know there are many diverse style of silat, but I'm asking if they still share a commonality or if there is no relationship?"
the difference of silat is with each style, not what country its from. there is silat like karate, and silat like kung fu. in malaysia the more familiar word is kuntao.

"2) Has anybody here trained with or purchased the tapes of Rudy Ter Linden? "
not me

"A little off topic,
3) How come on deThours's forum they ask questions about your yearly income and educational background to register? I am not ashamed of my answer for either, but found the questions a little irrelevant for asking questions about silat."
maybe they want to build up a mailing list to sale it. or its just to be able to say who and what kinds of people are interested in silat. its probably nothing bad there.

"Oh yeah, two more:

Are all silat styles interwoven with the faith of Islam? "

no most silat men i know are muslim, but many of the martial arts practices, even the ones of muslim silat men, are haram (forbidden). there are many muslims who use islamic requirements with his own martial art (really we all should do it that way). but you might see some influence of islam in the training to that style, like there is no bowing or touching of men and women or something. if you like to learn more about islamic martial arts, visit www.ummah.com/fighting/forum (http://www.ummah.com/fighting/forum) or www.ummah.com/fighting/forums (http://www.ummah.com/fighting/forums) i cant remember which one. my website is down now, but its www.angelfire.com/co2/gatdula (http://www.angelfire.com/co2/gatdula)

"What is the difference between the Dutch-Indo styles and the tribal styles?"
i dont think theres any, but many brothers i know say that indonesian hate the dutch because of the slavery and colonial power they have, so no one will really give a true or pure silat to them. something i never seen is a organisation with high ranking european fighters there. most of the dutch i seen do not talk about or give honors to there teacher, instead they will just mention "a master of this kind of silat", then make up there own style. this is why all the dutch i seen are "grandmasters" its the only way to get that far.

vertical fist
07-21-2001, 03:27 AM
http://cassmagda.com/histmain.htm

Here's a good article on Silat. May help answer some of your questions.

mild7
07-21-2001, 04:17 PM
Actually, in Malaysia Silat is know generally as silat, not kuntao.

The sport version of Silat is also more popular in Malaysia.

As for it being intewoven with Islam, you have to understand that the Malays are ALL followers of the islamic faith, so there will be some elements in Silat. But Silat, being ancient(fairly) precedes the malay conversion to Islam and there are a lot of tribal-type elements, black magic etc. In fact some Muslims consider Silat practice as NOT islamic but as it is interwoven in Malay culture Silat continues to be practiced today.

"may the chi forces be with you!"
- Grandmaster Mild7(founder of mild-style monkey triangle gung fu/chi-force improved Chi Kune Do)

Grappling-Insanity
07-27-2001, 03:29 AM
Pentjak-silat is not a very accurate form for defining a system. Its similiar to the term Kung-Fu translating to Chinese fighting arts. Just as there are many different forms of Kung-Fu, there are litterally thousands of different forms of Pentjak-silat.

With every region having a different form of Pentjak-silat it is very hard to generilize Pentjak-silat. Some are very similiar while others are vastly different.

As for Kuntao in Idonisia Kuntao is the word for ancient Chinese arts brought into Idonisia millenia ago. These arts are very sectretive and are somewhat similar to Kung-Fu.

And not every1 that practises a form of pentjak-silat is a follower of Islam. There are just as many Muslim groups and a small amount of Christian groups.

MonkeySlap Too
07-31-2001, 12:41 AM
If you are talking about the Delphi site, that's just the way Delphi does business. It has nothing to do with Pak Vic.

Hey, it's free...

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

CannonFist
08-24-2001, 01:00 PM
I do not know why many JKD people think that Penjak Silat is Indonesian and that Bersilat is Malaysian, well at least one of my former JKD teachers claim that.

Penjak Silat is just a common term that can be used for any Silat styles. Penjak just means to defend ones body. The term Penjak Silat is in fact widely used in Malaysia too. The term bersilat just means to do silat, the "ber" in front of the "silat" is just like putting the "ing" at the end of a word to imply action (as in running, boxing, punching).

Although not exactly the same Malaysian and Indonesian silat share common roots. In fact Malaysian history acknowledges that the beginnings of Malaysian (Melaka) civilisation was started by a Palembang (a place in Indonesia) prince. So Malaysian and Indonesian culture has similar roots and this goes for its martial arts.

Kuntaw is a Chinese term for fist. In old style Fujian dialect it is common to use the term Kuntaw the way we use the term Kung Fu now. Since the Chinese from the Fujian region (being a port) used Malaysia and Indonesia as trading ports with other countries like India and Arab, the word Kuntaw became widely used in Malaysia and Indonesia to refer to Chinese martial arts. Now, Kuntaw are usually mixture arts of silat and kung fu. But it is still common to refer to pure CHinese styles as Kuntaw.

[This message was edited by CannonFist on 08-25-01 at 04:16 AM.]