PDA

View Full Version : I fell in love....

xcakid
09-03-2007, 09:33 AM
.....with another art.

I just saw Human Weapon show showcasing Krav Maga. I have said many times before that I think martial arts have not evolved. They use the same techniques, the same weapons.

However, it seems Krav Maga has evolve. They are using modern weapons. Guns both rifles and pistols incorporated in their self defense including actual shooting. Aggressive techniques for knives, guns and multiple attackers. Close quarters fighting. Focus on ending the fight quickly including killing the opponent.

One short coming is the lack of internal development and longevity of health. Well I guess there is still room for TCMA.

Wonder if anyone in the US teaches Krav Maga like it is taught to the IDF. I know there are classes that involves open hand stuff. But I want to learn the shooting, weapons stoppage and close qtr defense/offense using firearms.

If it were not the lack of internal development, I would say this is a well rounded art.

TenTigers
09-03-2007, 09:35 AM
doesn't look any different than the kenpo I learned 25 years ago.
(dang, Xia. I was hoping for a Lucy Liu pictorial)

Shaolin Wookie
09-03-2007, 09:40 AM
What's the point? We're not in a society where everyone carries around an M-16 in public like it's no big deal, or shoots the closest Palestinian with a shoulder mounted RPG to sate the bloodlust of a 2,000 y.o. prejudice. Krav Maga is for the secret police of a messed up country that everyone on their borders hates, and it's only for those "oh ****, I'm going to die, so I might as well try something, and see if it works.....'cuz I'm dead anyways" kind of scenarios, whihc don't happen much. I guarantee the secret police kills all opponents with gunfire. If you're close enough to use Krav Maga, either you suck at infiltration, and someone else has disarmed you (perhaps with KM), or the guy is out of bullets or is in the process of surrendering, so your disarm isn't that imporant, unless you're trying to protect yourself from him grabbing one of your weapons, in the case he takes you down.

Either way, not really something you can use. Unless you're a vigilante commando.

Shaolin Wookie
09-03-2007, 09:42 AM
What's the point? We're not in a society where everyone carries around an M-16 in public like it's no big deal, or shoots the closest Palestinian with a shoulder mounted RPG to sate the bloodlust of a 2,000 y.o. prejudice. Krav Maga is for the secret police of a messed up country that everyone on their borders hates, and it's only for those "oh ****, I'm going to die, so I might as well try something, and see if it works.....'cuz I'm dead anyways" kind of scenarios, whihc don't happen much. I guarantee the secret police kills all opponents with gunfire. If you're close enough to use Krav Maga, either you suck at infiltration, and someone else has disarmed you (perhaps with KM), or the guy is out of bullets or is in the process of surrendering, so your disarm isn't that imporant, unless you're trying to protect yourself from him grabbing one of your weapons, in the case he takes you down.

Either way, not really something you can use. Unless you're a vigilante commando.

Not entirely useless, but you're better off sticking to fistfights rather than Schwartzenneger moments.

David Jamieson
09-03-2007, 09:54 AM
krav maga is interesting and is a fully functional and repeatedly tested martial way.

I would warn that if you do want to take it up that you only take lessons from people connect to Imi Lichtenfeld himself or it ain't the real deal.

now here's a lineage argument that is for real. lol

Shaolin Wookie
09-03-2007, 11:11 AM
No joke; there's a studio in ATL that teaches like 20 MA's, and one of them is Krav Maga, and I saw it done like it was an aerobics class.

RonH
09-03-2007, 11:51 AM
.....with another art.

I just saw Human Weapon show showcasing Krav Maga. I have said many times before that I think martial arts have not evolved. They use the same techniques, the same weapons.

However, it seems Krav Maga has evolve. They are using modern weapons. Guns both rifles and pistols incorporated in their self defense including actual shooting. Aggressive techniques for knives, guns and multiple attackers. Close quarters fighting. Focus on ending the fight quickly including killing the opponent.

One short coming is the lack of internal development and longevity of health. Well I guess there is still room for TCMA.

Wonder if anyone in the US teaches Krav Maga like it is taught to the IDF. I know there are classes that involves open hand stuff. But I want to learn the shooting, weapons stoppage and close qtr defense/offense using firearms.

If it were not the lack of internal development, I would say this is a well rounded art.

If you want to learn something about weapons, a suppliment I'd recommend is the lethal weapon certification for the state where you live. When I took the class, it was pricey, but the book/class stuff is very simple. Some certification classes don't have very indepth hand-to-hand stuff. The instructor that came into mine was one of these cult leader types. But, normally, because its governement sanctioned training, they limit what they teach you, as a preventative measure against possible legal issues down the road because the students that take the class are civilians and not military or police.

Aside from that, there are processing fees, which aren't that expensive, for the background and criminal record check. You'll also be fingerprinted, which will be sent to the FBI for future reference in case something were to happen and you went ape $hit and went on a killing spree or something.

Each state has slight variations for the requirements, but these are the standard, as of when I took the class.

xcakid
09-03-2007, 01:43 PM
krav maga is interesting and is a fully functional and repeatedly tested martial way.

I would warn that if you do want to take it up that you only take lessons from people connect to Imi Lichtenfeld himself or it ain't the real deal.

now here's a lineage argument that is for real. lol

I just like the concept of it. Right now I am taking CMA, FMA and augmenting that by taking various firearms shooting courses. As well as competing in various shooting competitions. Krav Maga incorporates all of that into one.

xcakid
09-03-2007, 01:54 PM

You really are in a permanent state of denial. Car jackings, home invasions, armed roberries happens on a daily basis here in the US. Thinking "it can never happen to me cause _____" is just dumb.

I live in a "safe" neighborhood with the lowest crime rate here in the DFW area. However, that can change at a drop of a hat. There are no boundaries for undesirables to cruise my neighborhood and possibly do harm as I pick up my dry cleaning. If the possibility is there, I want to be prepared for it.

In a street situation it is a "oh crap, I am going to die" situation. At least that is how I view it. Don't happen much, but it does happen. Just watch/read the news. Can you have an iron clad guarantee it will not happen to you or a love one. Maybe if you are locked into a bunker. Keep thinking a street confrontation is going to by like you rehearsed in class. Keep thinking, firearms or knives of a gang of people will not be a factor. But if you don't think it will happen to you, then go and keep thinking that way. I hope it doesn't. Me I will continue to be paranoid. :p

The Xia
09-04-2007, 09:13 PM
doesn't look any different than the kenpo I learned 25 years ago.
(dang, Xia. I was hoping for a Lucy Liu pictorial)
xcakid started this one TT. :p
I have to admit I wasn't expecting a Krav Maga thread either. I thought he might be going all Royal Dragon on us. :eek:

TenTigers
09-04-2007, 09:38 PM
oops, sorry Xia. Must've been one of those things where your mind fills in the blanks, or I'm having a senior moment.