PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good school in London area, UK

Farslayer_01
09-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Dear all,

I was hoping for some advice and I hope this is the right place in these forums to post (new member). I recently moved to the western London area and I am looking for a good school.

I have been training for a while in a variety of arts (Tae Kwon Do, Danzan ryu Jujitsu, Kendo and Wing chun) and I have had the honour to train under excellents sensei and sifus as the case may be. I was hoping someone would be able to suggest a respectable school with a qualified sifu. I am looking to remain in the Chinese martial arts, but I am open to try a new school.

thanx

Ben Gash
09-03-2007, 11:53 AM
I answered a similar question recently here
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47416

Farslayer_01
09-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Thank you :) I will check it out

golden arhat
09-03-2007, 02:58 PM
please dont go near anything that is called hung kuen or is associated with master ang

he is a serious fraud

and for some reason refuses to use the proper cantonese name for his art
its not mandarin either

in either case my advice would be to go to an mma class if you are actually interested in learning how to fight

if u really want the traditional route of cma then go for somewhere that doesnt make everything easy
an hour of horse stance is never a bad thing lol
and with good sparring sessions, san shou style
lol

Wong Ying Home
09-04-2007, 07:46 AM
There are some acomplished teachers in the list that Ben suggested, most of whom have good combat skill ability, and can use thier traditional fighting skills correctly, so dont be put of of by someone who suggests MMA or San Shou sport fighting over some of the good sifu's on that list

golden arhat
09-04-2007, 09:15 AM
There are some acomplished teachers in the list that Ben suggested, most of whom have good combat skill ability, and can use thier traditional fighting skills correctly, so dont be put of of by someone who suggests MMA or San Shou sport fighting over some of the good sifu's on that list

why ?

an mma fighter 9 times out of ten beats a traditionalist
its been proven time and again

so why not

regardless of weither a few of them can fight or not
an mma class will teach you how to fight
and fight well almost guarantee'd

simple fact
its been proven time and again

u cant really dispute it

Ben Gash
09-04-2007, 09:26 AM
As someone who does sport and non-sport I'd say that neither is especially better than the other, provided the training is GOOD. What Wongying is saying is that these people are good, and therefore bear consideration regardless of whether they do MMA.

golden arhat
09-04-2007, 09:43 AM
As someone who does sport and non-sport I'd say that neither is especially better than the other, provided the training is GOOD. What Wongying is saying is that these people are good, and therefore bear consideration regardless of whether they do MMA.

fair enough

i just dont find alot of the traditional to be worth much
especially forms and such

i do like stance training tho and the occasional application

most of it i see as useless

Ben Gash
09-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Forms training has value in and of itself, how much of that can be transferred to fighting skill is debatable, but at the end of the day I teach a TCMA class and forms is only a third (or less) of what I do. Again, remember that your TCMA experience was bad for a whole host of reasons.

golden arhat
09-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Forms training has value in and of itself, how much of that can be transferred to fighting skill is debatable, but at the end of the day I teach a TCMA class and forms is only a third (or less) of what I do. Again, remember that your TCMA experience was bad for a whole host of reasons.

very true

i should probably give it anoter go just to make sure

lol if i'm ever in swindon i'l look u up lol