PDA

View Full Version : Gear Question

Becca
09-04-2007, 02:29 PM
So I was looking for a pair of boxing gloves for a Muy Thai clinic comming up in a little over 2 weeks. I have several types of gloves, but no boxing gloves. So my questions start off with:

WTF are "cardio" gloves and are they as good as regular boxing gloves? Would they work for a MT clinic?

The only shin pads I have are the cloth style; will they sufice?

And what is the point of female groin protectors and do I really need one or was that just for they guys?

Please keep in mind that I am a die hard KF peep and have no need or want to run out and buy the best of the best, only what I need to get me through this clinic.

Ben Gash
09-04-2007, 02:31 PM
And what is the point of female groin protectors and do I really need one or was that just for they guys?

You've clearly never seen a labial haematoma.
We'd need to know more about the content of the clinic really.

RonH
09-04-2007, 02:46 PM
When struck, the female parts of the groin can hurt just as bad as a man getting kicked in the balls. The thing is, it's a lot harder to do it than the balls. Back in high school, these 2 girls got into a fight. The first tried to kick the other's groin. It didn't work. The girl that got hit struck the first girl's groin and it hurt. Eventually, she was able to walk around, but she had to hold at ice pack to her crotch, which she was given before she started walking.

TenTigers
09-04-2007, 03:04 PM
you need better shin guards than the cloth ones. I suggest checking out Title, Windy,Century as well.go for the leather ones as they will provide the best shock protection. Don't skimp on your protection-get the best quality gloves,pads,groin protection you can. Ask the people running the seminar. If the people running the seminar want you to wear protection, it's for good reason. One-liability,Two-for your protection

MasterKiller
09-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Get these Shin Guards:
http://www.combatsports.com/detail.aspx?ID=22281

You can use them in lots of sparring situations, so you'll get more bang for your buck.

AmanuJRY
09-04-2007, 10:33 PM
you need better shin guards than the cloth ones. I suggest checking out Title, Windy,Century as well.go for the leather ones as they will provide the best shock protection. Don't skimp on your protection-get the best quality gloves,pads,groin protection you can. Ask the people running the seminar. If the people running the seminar want you to wear protection, it's for good reason. One-liability,Two-for your protection

I agree. It's not about having the top name brands, but quality gear will be worth it.:cool:

Eddie
09-05-2007, 03:34 AM
if you are under 65 kilos, buy any good quality 8ounce gloves. Over that, get 10 ounce, that way you can use them for san shou events too.
Velcro closings type would be better than laces. if you have no objections about wearing leather, then obviously that should be a good choice too, if not, most brands usually have good pu gloves too.

I think the cardio gloves is more a marketing thing, unless they're heavier. As long as the weight is the right weight under your sanctioning body, it should be all good.

Come to think of it, I think someone once mentioned here they use 12 ounce and 14 ounce over in the US?

MasterKiller
09-05-2007, 06:12 AM
Amateur San Shou gloves are 10-12oz, depending on the tournament.

For training, you should be wearing 14 or 16oz anyway.

Eddie
09-05-2007, 06:19 AM
Amateur San Shou gloves are 10-12oz, depending on the tournament.

For training, you should be wearing 14 or 16oz anyway.

why train with different gloves than what you spar with?

16oz must be like bean bags :)

MasterKiller
09-05-2007, 06:37 AM
why train with different gloves than what you spar with?

16oz must be like bean bags :)

So people a) don't get hurt, b) can train hard and c) train more often.

Becca
09-05-2007, 07:01 AM
Thanks for all the great info guys! So go with the best gear I can afford anyway; I can always use it for San Shou, if and when any shows up in my area. Yes, they ment women too when they said groin protection, and all cardio boxing gloves meens is I can get them in purple to match my open finger bag gloves.:p

MK, I like the look of those shin guards; they are actually less expensive than most I've seen. And I am a wimp with taking hits to the shins, so I will likely get plenty of use out of them all the time... Now if only they came in purple.:D

Pork Chop
09-05-2007, 01:34 PM
cardio gloves aren't made for contact with anything- pads or people.
they're just something to put on your hands for cardio kickboxing class and occasionally glance off of a focus mitt.

i recommend getting twins or fairtex for thai kickboxing (i can't stand windy gloves). Either should be cheaper than most other gloves.

tufwear and ringside ultimate classics both make nice bag gloves (not for hitting people).

I also love grant, but aside from being pricey their stuff runs a little stiff: the bag gloves at only 10 ounces aren't really enough to protect your knuckles for dedicated boxing training; their training gloves are almost as bad as reyes for not having enough padding over the knuckles- but probably woundn't be bad for training.

Most boxing gym rats who can afford it go for Winning, but i ain't paying 275 for a pair of gloves.

Headgear go with top ten.

those grappling shin guards are nice- but they break down quick. depending on the size of your lower leg they can split open easily. they are very, very nice in the short term though (assuming they fit).

Becca
09-05-2007, 02:15 PM
I was thinking these (http://www.martialartsmart.net/10-070w.html) to replace my cloth shin guards and these (http://www.boxingdepot.com/bx-bg-40.html) for gloves. (after reading PC's glove review, of course.)

Look ok? I like the kicking pads because they seem to be more adjustable. And I've already found out that gloves specifically made for women's hands just work better.

to belatedly answer this question...

Ask the people running the seminar. If the people running the seminar want you to wear protection, it's for good reason. One-liability,Two-for your protectionAnd I quote, "Use whatever you feel comfortable with. He just said regular gloves." As I have no clue, I came to ask all you guys who do.;)

Pork Chop
09-05-2007, 02:29 PM
EDIT: Century are garbage.

given your budget & intended use, i'd say:
http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25084
or
http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25086
but if you really want women's gloves:
http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25170
Eventhough, I hate these things, a lot of people love them and they probably would serve you well; I believe the pink ones are for women (hence the smaller sizes):
http://store.titleboxing.com/titleboxing-everlast-semi-pro-velcro-training-gloves.html

Shinguards:
I haven't had a single pair of shinguards I've ever liked as much as cloth ones.
maybe try these?:
http://www.ringside.com/detail.aspx?ID=25896

BTW- I think most women are cool with 14oz training gloves. At 16oz the form tends to go out the window; depending on the person of course.

Becca
09-05-2007, 02:35 PM
This (http://www.martialartsmart.net/14x070.html) is the kind of shin guards I already have. They seem to hold up well for home training. Would they not do so well for Muy Thai?

And yes, I really like the hot pink gloves.;):D

Pork Chop
09-05-2007, 03:03 PM
I have those same shinguards.
I like them a lot better than any leather thai shinguard i've ever tried.
i have messed up feet so most times the leather instep part hurts my feet more than protects.
I don't see any problems continuing to use those ones you got.
Kind of depends on the coach though- my current coach isn't a huge fan.
Just bought some windy pro style shinguards recently and if they don't work out, i'm going back to cloth regardless of what he says.
i've cracked a toe in leather fairtex shinguards and in ringside's pro shinguard.

yah those everlast hot pink ones are alright. I think what i've always hated about that model of everlast glove is that folks use them for all their bag/pad work and still use them for sparring; many times keeping them long after the padding has broken down- so you can feel knuckles through the glove. don't bother with the century gloves though.

MasterKiller
09-05-2007, 07:57 PM
The ones I linked to are perfect for MMA type practice, but work for San Shou, too.

I have several sets that we use at least once a week when drilling and doing medium-contact sparring, and we haven't torn any of them yet. I like them because you can shoot and they don't slip around.

My advice is to buy big, though. They fit pretty tight.

Pork Chop
09-06-2007, 06:26 AM
The ones I linked to are perfect for MMA type practice, but work for San Shou, too.

yeah i haven't actually owned a pair of those myself, though i'd like to.
i'm going on the words of a couple coaches i know.
probably should've bought them instead of the windys i just recently bought.

Becca
09-06-2007, 06:31 AM
MK, I can't quite tell from the photo, are they slip-on or do they have fasteners? One of Porkchop's points about the cloth style, that they are slip-on, is actually one of the main reasons I bought that style in the first place. I like knowing that I won't loose one if the velcro gives out at an inopportune time. The other reason being that I can just throw them in the washer when they get gross.

MasterKiller
09-06-2007, 06:40 AM
MK, I can't quite tell from the photo, are they slip-on or do they have fasteners? One of Porkchop's points about the cloth style, that they are slip-on, is actually one of the main reasons I bought that style in the first place. I like knowing that I won't loose one if the velcro gives out at an inopportune time. The other reason being that I can just throw them in the washer when they get gross.

They are both. They slip on and have a velcro strap fastener on top. The back is stretchy neoprene and it fits pretty snug, so even if the strap comes loose they don't budge.

It's nice because you don't have to constantly pause sparring to re-adjust your shin guards, and they don't come off or get in the way much when action hits the floor.

I don't think I would wash them in a machine, though, because of the padding. Best just to Lysol them after every use.

Becca
09-06-2007, 07:06 AM
I don't think I would wash them in a machine, though, because of the padding. Best just to Lysol them after every use.Or because of the leather. The padding does fine in a machine so long as you use the delicate cycle and line dry them, but leather never does well in a machine. But I will think on it. Looks like I'd get more miles out of them than I do out of my cloth one's. But on the other hand, at about $13 a pair, I don't care as much when I mess up those cloth guards, either. I'll have to see what my check looks like.