PDA

View Full Version : Immortal Iron Fist

brucelee2
01-02-2001, 09:38 PM
That's right, folks, Iron Fist the movie, coming soon to a theater near you, starring Ray Parks (Darth Maul, Toad from the X Men). Y'all better batten down the hatches, cos after this mainstream movie confronts everyone out there with the omnipotence of chi, your previously small internal arts classes are gonna get large, and tkd schools by the bucketsful will go bankrupt.

Discuss-

razakdigital
01-02-2001, 10:34 PM
It sounds good where did you find out?

kfstudent
01-02-2001, 10:46 PM
is this about the marvel comic book character "Iron fist" from the seventies and eighties?

brucelee2
01-02-2001, 11:57 PM
I found out about it today on Altavista Enterntainment News. Just go to the altavista page and then go to entertainment news. Yes, it is THAT Ironfist from the comicbook of the 70s and 80s. Its kind of funny because a couple of months ago I posted a topic here asking what style Iron Fist's powers were based on and now they're making a movie- maybe I'll find out!

peace+love-

razakdigital
01-03-2001, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the information

Eight Diagram Boxer
01-03-2001, 03:39 AM
I doubt internal martial arts (other than tai chi of course) will ever be that big. For those who want to "kick ass" they'll always be looking to BJJ and other hard forms. I don't think most people want to put in the work inherent to internal arts. I wouldn't worry about it- The movie sounds interesting though.

Knowing others is wisdom, Knowing the self is enlightenment- Lao Tzu

Valraven
01-03-2001, 11:26 PM
Iron Fist better pray to "the god of green tightsand yellow shoes" that he never steps a foot
in Gotham. :mad:

HuangKaiVun
01-04-2001, 06:28 AM
Iron Fist is cool, and Ray Park is the right guy.

I'd love to see "Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu", though I can't think of the right guy.

There isn't a film star out there with the requisite charisma to play the enlightened Shang, though Jet Li obviously has the physical athleticism to play the part even without wires.

Vash
09-05-2007, 04:42 PM
http://www.majorspoilers.com/archives/2288.htm/

. . .

Yeah. It's good.

As much as I don't like Marvel Comics (actually, the only titles I buy are from DC, and those are subscriptions), this is actually good. It's also a martial arts comic better than (what is, in comparison, crap) the Val Amorr (Karate Kid) stuff.

Martial arts notwithstanding, it's just a good book. Very accessible and involving. Very good.

Buy it. I'll stick to free pirating of digital copies. And buying the trade paperbacks.

sanjuro_ronin
09-06-2007, 04:08 AM
I always prefered Shang-Chi to Iron Fist, maybe it was the crappy stories that IF had, or that really silly Costume...this one looks better though.

BlueTravesty
09-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Looks like a pretty interesting series. The action sequences look pretty snazzy, and the art has a nice "sketchy-but-polished" look to it. I might have to check it out to get my martial media fix. At least until the Manga gods find it in their capricious nature to bring History's Strongest Disciple to the U.S...

Man, I can't wait until my ankle heals up so I can stop living vicariously through comics and video games.

golden arhat
09-09-2007, 10:17 AM
anybody ever read storm riders ?

thats a good series right there

speschially if u like wuxia

Zenshiite
09-09-2007, 04:20 PM
anybody ever read storm riders ?

thats a good series right there

speschially if u like wuxia

Storm Riders was good. See the movie? Crap.

ComicsOne had some GREAT wuxia comics running before they shut down. The Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon manga was amazing. So was Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber.

Nice to see a fellow straight edger here too, by the way.

doug maverick
09-09-2007, 11:35 PM
you can still get comics one comics under hk comics. crouching tiger is eneded thou it was only meant for15 issues

BlueTravesty
09-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Heaven Sword Dragon Saber was TIGHT. Cool stuff. I loved those Storm Riders Chess Pieces they had too :(

@PLUGO
09-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Comics One did indeed contribute greatly to our collective Martial media pools.

Immortal Iron fist has also been Top Shelf right from the start. The first 7 issues are now available as in trade paper back (http://www.amazon.com/Immortal-Iron-Fist-Vol-Avengers/dp/0785124896/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5125120-7696842?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189464827&sr=1-1) as well as hardcover comic (http://www.amazon.com/Immortal-Iron-Fist-Vol-Avengers/dp/0785128549/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-5125120-7696842?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189464827&sr=1-2), I'd recommend either of them to anyone interested in Kung Fu in comics. The last chapter (issues #7) is a particular treat.

Regrettably Shang Chi has not been getting as respectable treatment over in the comic he's appearing in Heroes for Hire.

Zenshiite
09-10-2007, 06:34 PM
you can still get comics one comics under hk comics. crouching tiger is eneded thou it was only meant for15 issues

I was under the impression that not all of ComicsOne's stuff was purchased by HK. CTHD was, so was Four Constables and a couple other things... but Legendary Couple and Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber weren't. Neither was Saint Legend, which was interesting. LC and HSDS were awesome. I remember in like the 1st or 2nd book of HSDS there was a great image of WuJi doing chi gung with this purple chi mist at his dan tien. Awesome stuff.

Li Kao
09-11-2007, 01:17 AM
I am digging the Immortal Iron Fist series as well. The first thing I noticed was that they reworked his outfit -- no more disco collar! :D Even though he's always been a 2nd tier character like Moon Knight, I always liked the martial arts theme, even if his various series have been a bit cheesy. This particular series is digging into his past and I like the fact that they are showing all of the various Iron Fists throughout history. The art is great and really matches the mood of the story. The upcoming martial arts tournament looks like it will be really neat as well.

I stumbled across this discussion thread about the series -- it has some great panels from the various issues where you can get a better feel for the artwork. Check it out: http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=111431

I liked all of the ComicsOne books as well -- Andy Seto in particular is a great artist and his stuff reminded me a lot of the old Jademan comics.

Since we're on the topic of martial arts themed comics -- I recently finished rereading all 142 issues of Lone Wolf & Cub over the course of a couple weeks -- definitely the best martial arts comic I've ever come across. Even though it's in black & white, the art is mesmerizing and the story is laden with all kinds of philosophy as well as action. It's not a "superhero" book so you would think samurai duels would get redundant after 40 or so issues, but the book really keeps the reader in suspense. It was painstakingly researched historically to give an accurate depiction of feudal Japan and there is much political suspense as well as glimpses of peasant life. Definitely a satisfying read and one that everyone should read at least once.

doug maverick
09-11-2007, 01:39 AM
yeah seto is the man i loved the way he handled cthd. i hated the movie but i loved the comic

Zenshiite
09-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Seto's work is stellar. He did Saint Legend and my only complaint with that is the usual manga hair styles and colors. That just gets boring, especially with the male characters being so androgynous.

ittokaos
09-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Four Constables was his best work tho.

Chinses hero has great art and concept by Wing Shing Ma but the story is all over the place. I mean come on, he fights Dracula.

doug maverick
09-11-2007, 05:41 PM
four constables was awesome i have all five issues it was the best. i would love to see a movie made out of this

Zenshiite
09-16-2007, 06:31 AM
I just bought the second issue of Four Constables. Wow. The art and color is so amazing.

I looked at Chinese Hero but couldn't quite get it. Maybe it was the structure of the book. I didn't even read it because I didn't like the layout. Art work looked great though.

doug maverick
09-16-2007, 06:33 AM
yea the story is amazing to me that and crouching tiger were the best thing to come out of comics one/hk comics. to bad they only made five issues of it but trust me its awesome. okay this may sound way to you young for someone my age. but come on who's your favorite character?

BlueTravesty
09-16-2007, 07:46 AM
I am digging the Immortal Iron Fist series as well. The first thing I noticed was that they reworked his outfit -- no more disco collar! :D Even though he's always been a 2nd tier character like Moon Knight, I always liked the martial arts theme, even if his various series have been a bit cheesy. This particular series is digging into his past and I like the fact that they are showing all of the various Iron Fists throughout history. The art is great and really matches the mood of the story. The upcoming martial arts tournament looks like it will be really neat as well.

I stumbled across this discussion thread about the series -- it has some great panels from the various issues where you can get a better feel for the artwork. Check it out: http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=111431

I liked all of the ComicsOne books as well -- Andy Seto in particular is a great artist and his stuff reminded me a lot of the old Jademan comics.

Since we're on the topic of martial arts themed comics -- I recently finished rereading all 142 issues of Lone Wolf & Cub over the course of a couple weeks -- definitely the best martial arts comic I've ever come across. Even though it's in black & white, the art is mesmerizing and the story is laden with all kinds of philosophy as well as action. It's not a "superhero" book so you would think samurai duels would get redundant after 40 or so issues, but the book really keeps the reader in suspense. It was painstakingly researched historically to give an accurate depiction of feudal Japan and there is much political suspense as well as glimpses of peasant life. Definitely a satisfying read and one that everyone should read at least once.

Lone Wolf & Cub is pretty good. Haven't read a lot, but it looks slick. If you like the samurai stuff, check out Vagabond. It's a fictionalized account of the life of Miyamoto Musashi. Like Lone Wolf & Cub, that next issue is never at the store, but finding it is part of the fun.

Zenshiite
09-17-2007, 02:29 PM
yea the story is amazing to me that and crouching tiger were the best thing to come out of comics one/hk comics. to bad they only made five issues of it but trust me its awesome. okay this may sound way to you young for someone my age. but come on who's your favorite character?

Well, I just picked up issue 3 of Four Constables AND 5,6,7,8,9 and 11 of Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber. 4,5 of Saint Legend. 5 and 6 of Story of the Tao. All for 50 cents each. They were all marked way way down at a bragain book store from 4.98, amazing! I'll be going back to pick up more stuff.

doug maverick
09-17-2007, 06:57 PM
duuuude you got them for that cheap shiiit where do you live.

@PLUGO
09-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Getting back on topic (I guess) here's a review of the latest issue of THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST (http://www.majorspoilers.com/archives/2288.htm/#more-2288)

With scans of art and such. Be warned this review will break down the whole story.

Vash
09-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Getting back on topic (I guess) here's a review of the latest issue of THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST (http://www.majorspoilers.com/archives/2288.htm/#more-2288)

With scans of art and such. Be warned this review will break down the whole story.

I wish karate comics could be this cool.

sanjuro_ronin
09-20-2007, 04:30 AM
I got all of them, up to #8 and looking forward to the Annual and the rest of them.
Great story lines.

Zenshiite
09-21-2007, 02:32 PM
duuuude you got them for that cheap shiiit where do you live.

Philly. This place is a chain though, I know there's some spots in Jersey. It's called Atlantic Books.

doug maverick
09-21-2007, 03:17 PM
i could probably get to philly faster then certain parts of jersey

Zenshiite
09-22-2007, 06:31 PM
i could probably get to philly faster then certain parts of jersey

Haha. Probably.

I went back today and picked up some more stuff. Issues 3 and 4 of Weapons of the Gods and issues 10 and 12 of Storm Riders. More Saint Legend.

However, check out http://www.cubicmall.com/store/othercomics.html It's the official distributor of DrMaster publications as well as all of what's left of ComicsOne's stuff. You can get the entire collection of some of this stuff for cheap. Everything's marked down to 5 bucks per book some are lower.

GeneChing
07-21-2017, 08:26 AM
I feel it's important to discriminate between Immortal Iron Fist (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?47895-Immortal-Iron-Fist) (the comic) and Iron Fist (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?49086-Iron-Fist), which has become our Marvel Netflix thread.

JULY 20, 2017 6:00pm PT by Graeme McMillan
Marvel Launching Digital-Exclusive 'Iron Fist' Series on ComiXology (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvels-immortal-iron-fist-series-is-a-comixology-1022353)

http://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/scale_crop_768_433/2017/07/iron_fists.jpg
Kaare Andrews/Marvel Entertainment

'Immortal Iron Fist' will be the first in a series of comics created exclusively for Amazon's ComiXology platform.

Following in the footsteps of Valiant Entertainment and BOOM! Studios, Marvel Entertainment has announced that it will be providing exclusive comic book content to Amazon.com's digital comics platform ComiXology as part of the latter company's ComiXology Originals imprint.

The announcement came during Thursday's Marvel Next Big Thing panel at San Diego Comic-Con, with the partnership going into effect Friday with the launch of Immortal Iron Fists, a six-issue series released on a bi-weekly basis, with each issue available for purchase for $2.99 or part of the monthly ComiXology Unlimited subscription package. Additional series will be announced in coming months.

Immortal Iron Fists will be written by Kaare Andrews with art by Afu Chan, and will feature Danny Rand and Pei, the latest possessor of the Iron Fist as introduced in Andrews' 2014 print series Iron Fist: The Living Weapon. The series was originally teased, as a print title, under the title Iron Fists as one of Marvel's 2016 Marvel NOW! launches, appearing in the July 2016 Marvel NOW! catalog. Iron Fists never appeared, with its slot in the Marvel NOW! lineup taken by a separate Iron Fist title.

The ComiXology Originals line launched earlier this year with Valient Entertainment's Valiant High series; the imprint was intended to offer material outside the comic book mainstream as a way of reaching out to newcomers to the medium.

Immortal Iron Fists will debut Friday as a ComiXology-exclusive series.

Vash
07-21-2017, 08:37 AM
As much as I loved the series 10+ years ago, the Netflix show makes it less enjoyable to re-read.

I'll check it out on a free reader and see if it's worth a shot.