View Full Version : holy crap @ ren guangyi

golden arhat
09-09-2007, 06:26 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0Y_GULVhJmM
how awesome is this

where can i learn cannon fist here ?

TenTigers
09-09-2007, 07:54 AM
I dunno, man. I mean, look at how dusty the floor is. Anyone who doesn;;'t put the time in to keep his enviornment clean, which is an outward manifestation of what is going on in your life, couldn't be capable of achieving the true mastery in Kung-Fu.
ok, joking. Ren is an amazing sight to behold, and although I don't practice Chen style, I did get a taste when I did a seminar with his student,Jose Figuera, a great MA in his own right. Ren has made great contributions to his art and MA in general.

I'm gonna go practice. But first, I'm gonna clean my house.

SaintSage
09-09-2007, 09:16 AM
I really loved "The Fountain" and I thought the Taiji Jackman was doing looked like a modified Chen stye...*Is proud of self*

Fu-Pow
09-09-2007, 09:19 AM
Before you learn canon fist you need to learn the Yi Lu (first form.)

The canon fist techniques are what you do once you've drawn someone in by being soft. You contact, neutralize, then issue force.

FP

golden arhat
09-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Before you learn canon fist you need to learn the Yi Lu (first form.)

The canon fist techniques are what you do once you've drawn someone in by being soft. You contact, neutralize, then issue force.

FP

why cant u just modify it a bit use it first and turn them into completely offensive techniques so u dont have to draw anyone in u can just use em straight off

Shaolin Wookie
09-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Then what's he going to do with all that other stuff?:D

doug maverick
09-09-2007, 09:39 AM
cause then it wouldn;t be taiji. it would be something else

golden arhat
09-09-2007, 09:40 AM
cause then it wouldn;t be taiji. it would be something else

i dont care what its called :D

golden arhat
09-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Then what's he going to do with all that other stuff?:D

lol

exactly

i mean in a batlle do u batter the opposition with artillery first before finishing up with "softer" rifles and foot soldiers ?
of course u do

so why not use whats strongest first i mean i have never seen this in taiji before
and tho i like alot of the soft techniques

i think developing power like that and the ability to use it first and in sparring should be paramount before soft techniques

brianK
09-09-2007, 09:53 AM
lol

exactly

i mean in a batlle do u batter the opposition with artillery first before finishing up with "softer" rifles and foot soldiers ?
of course u do

so why not use whats strongest first i mean i have never seen this in taiji before

i think developing power like that and the ability to use it first and in sparring should be paramount before soft techniques

It's not just about drawing them in. Yi lu develops and conditions the body and body method (shen fa) to be able to throw those fajins. Without yi lu, the quality of power generation won't be there, and you're likely to damage the joints. My teacher is a student of Chen Xiaowang, and he says it's all about yi lu. Er lu is done for fun and endurance (issuing multiple fajins one after the other).

Brian

Fu-Pow
09-09-2007, 10:21 AM
lol

exactly

of course u do

Because your technique has more effect once you have drawn them into a position that is unfavorable.

For example, have you ever been hit in the stomach when you weren't expecting it? Compare that to being hit in the stomach when you were bracing for it?

The point in Taiji is to "lead" someone into a position where your offense will have the most effect.

FP

BlueTravesty
09-09-2007, 11:11 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0Y_GULVhJmM
how awesome is this

where can i learn cannon fist here ?

I know how ya feel... I've been trying to find a place to learn Chen style around my area too... I thought I found a school in the yellow pages, but their number is disconnected :confused:

brianK
09-09-2007, 12:57 PM
I know how ya feel... I've been trying to find a place to learn Chen style around my area too... I thought I found a school in the yellow pages, but their number is disconnected :confused:

Where abouts in Florida is Brandon? I know Chen style teachers in South Florida (mine), Gainesville (my old CLF teacher), and I know of one in Jacksonville. I might be able to help you.

Brian

BlueTravesty
09-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Where abouts in Florida is Brandon? I know Chen style teachers in South Florida (mine), Gainesville (my old CLF teacher), and I know of one in Jacksonville. I might be able to help you.

Brian

Unfortunately, Brandon is right in the middle of FL, on the west coast; It's a suburb of Tampa. If there were a few more hours in the day, the drive to Gainesville would be tempting- but with work, and a wife, and various other obligations, 5-7 hours (2 - 3 hours to get there, an hour or so for class, and 2-3 hours to get back) would be a tough commitment to make. Thanks anyway though :)

sunfist
09-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Go to emptyflower and ask for good chen people near you. Dont make a habit of listening to hippies such as fu pow.

Welcome to traditional kung fu. One more of us, one less of them.

golden arhat
09-10-2007, 12:02 AM
Go to emptyflower and ask for good chen people near you. Dont make a habit of listening to hippies such as fu pow.

Welcome to traditional kung fu. One more of us, one less of them.

i still intend to carry on with mma
but chen style looks good aswell and they could probably compliment each other quie well

golden arhat
09-10-2007, 12:04 AM
and uhh

anyone link me to emptyflower ?

i actually know one chen style place in manchester (yue liming) but its way too far to travel by bus :/ especially when i'm broke

golden arhat
09-10-2007, 12:06 AM
also

anyone notice that merryprankster is on fu pow's ignore list?

merryprankster always seems to have something good to say and always thinks thoroughly about it before he posts
in fact i have nothing but respect for him

i wonder why fu pow ignores him ?

sunfist
09-10-2007, 12:09 AM
www.emptyflower.com/xingyiquan/index.html

I think the forum link is under 'drilling'.

And yeah, crosstraining is good. At your age you should be soaking up different influences like a sponge.

TaichiMantis
09-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Excerpts from an article "Training in Cannon Fist Boxing " (http://i-chuan.net/pages/Choy4.html)by my kung fu uncle, Sifu Randy Choy.

"Even though every jin or "power" is important, you'll have those practitioners who only want to learn about fa jin. I can't complain because I did the same thing...."

"Fa jin can be used in fist strikes, elbow strikes, shoulder strikes, and even in your side kicks. Fa jin energy comes directly from relaxed, smooth movements. Tense or stiff movements will not produce the correct fa jin power. To understand this explosive energy, you must understand the Rules of Chuan and seek more training from your Taijiquan instructor."

"A word of caution: do not go hog crazy trying to fa jin everything all day. This is exactly what I did. In Taiwan, I tried to fa jin the trees all day. I kept punching into the trees until my knuckles were badly bruised. This produced no good results...."

"As I progressed, my teacher, Mr. Pan Wing Chow gave me three more rules to follow. First, you don't fa jin if your opponent is fighting back. Secondly, you don't fa jin if your opponent is stable, and finally, you don't fa jin if your opponent can issue power to meet your power. I take these words to heart whenever I practice Cannon Fist boxing."

GeneChing
09-10-2007, 04:25 PM
See Innovating Traditional Martial Arts: Ren Guangyi's 5 Step Roadmap (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=721) by Stephan Berwick in our 2007 September/October issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=720).

brianK
09-10-2007, 05:41 PM
http://www.emptyflower.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi/YaBB.cgi

Direct link to the EF forum.

What's with the "one more of us, one less of them" attitude. I train bagua, xingyi, and BJJ, and I'll soon start taking judo at the BJJ school. All of my arts enhance my fighting ability. It's not about choosing a style and then dogmatically convincing yourself and the rest of the world that it is superior to all others; it's about personal martial development. Are your arts tools which you employ, or are you a tool (pun intended) which your art employs?

Brian

sunfist
09-10-2007, 06:52 PM
http://www.emptyflower.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi/YaBB.cgi

Direct link to the EF forum.

What's with the "one more of us, one less of them" attitude. I train bagua, xingyi, and BJJ, and I'll soon start taking judo at the BJJ school. All of my arts enhance my fighting ability. It's not about choosing a style and then dogmatically convincing yourself and the rest of the world that it is superior to all others; it's about personal martial development. Are your arts tools which you employ, or are you a tool (pun intended) which your art employs?

Brian

I disagree. It IS about choosing a style and then dogmatically convincing yourself and the rest of the world it is superior to all others. Id debate your point on the matter, but your styles are all inferior so there would be little purpose to it all :p

GeneChing
03-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Check out our latest sweepstakes - you could win a CHEN STYLE TAIJIQUAN LAO JIA YI LU APPLICATIONS DVD, Autographed by Ren Guangyi (http://www.kungfumagazine.net/index.html). Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 03/19/09. Good luck everyone!

Chazmek
03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
I love the lighting and the chalk dust on the floor; very nice visual effects :)
The camera shaking when he stomps the ground is neat too.

Zenshiite
03-06-2009, 03:16 PM
BTW, the emptyflower mentioned earlier is now http://rumsoakedfist.com/