PDA

View Full Version : OT: Does anyone speak Latin?

FuXnDajenariht
09-09-2007, 06:59 PM
i want this quote translated.

"No one begs the sun for mercy."

cjurakpt
09-09-2007, 07:12 PM
http://www.translation-guide.com/free_online_translators.php?from=English&to=Latin

nemo peto sol solis pro misericordia

seems about right...

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Just E-mailed my daughter, she should have no problem with this, being the language nerd that she is.

FuXnDajenariht
09-09-2007, 07:32 PM
lol thanks. i wanna make sure its absolutely correct before i permanently ink it on myself. i translated myself but i thought best to ask too.

that stuff dont come off. (well cheaply or easily atleast) :D

MasterKiller
09-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Why don't people beg the sun for mercy?

Mr Punch
09-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Er, why don't you just tattoo it in English?! Then you won't risk the ridicule of passing Roman legionnaires or 85 year-old English grammatarians...

Does it personally matter to you that it's in Latin? Nobody's gonna understand it right, which means you must want it for attention... so, if you want a tattoo as a conversation starter why not just get the word 'olm' tattooed on your forehead? :D

Not attacking you, I got ink myself, just don't understand your reasoning...

FuXnDajenariht
09-09-2007, 07:37 PM
beg is the word i was having trouble with.

it seems like it could be posco, precor, or peto i dont have a clue which is the proper one for the usage i want.

peto : to ask for, beg, request, demand / to sue for.
posco : to beg.
precor : to beseech, pray, beg, entreat, invoke.

http://arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Latin/

Mr Punch
09-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Why don't people beg the sun for mercy?I give up. What's the punchline?

Anyway, I do. Japanese summers are brutal.

MasterKiller
09-09-2007, 07:41 PM
People routinely beg a space ghost and his son (but it's not really his son, it's a 1/3 of the space ghost) for mercy. I don't think the sun is much different. Except that it really exists. Which means people probably ask it for all kinds of things. Including mercy, from time to time.

Mr Punch
09-09-2007, 07:42 PM
beg is the word i was having trouble with.

it seems like it could be posco, precor, or peto i dont have a clue which is the proper one for the usage i want.

peto : to ask for, beg, request, demand / to sue for.
posco : to beg.
precor : to beseech, pray, beg, entreat, invoke.

http://arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Latin/FWIW I would go for 'peto'. But then I learned classical Latin: this seems a mix, I'm pretty sure 'precor' is a newer form (doesn't even look like a verb to me) and 'posco' definitely is. Plus, 'sue for' would be a good meaning to go for.

Make sure you don't get your Latins mixed up... if you get a mix of classical Latin and medieval Church Latin, hell, neither Centurions nor 12th century monks will be able to understand you! :D

NJM
09-09-2007, 07:42 PM
http://latinforum.org/

They'll translate it for you, and it's more accurate than a Kung Fu forum.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Wait till my daughter looks it up. she will figure it out right.

Mr Punch
09-09-2007, 07:44 PM
People routinely beg a space ghost and his son (but it's not really his son, it's a 1/3 of the space ghost) for mercy. I don't think the sun is much different. Except that it really exists. Which means people probably ask it for all kinds of things. Including mercy, from time to time.A "space ghost"? Have you been writing sci-fi again or have you gone all Anglo-Saxon poetic imagery on us?

And yeah, of course, people had been praying to the sun for centuries before the 'space ghost' popped up.

NJM
09-09-2007, 07:47 PM
people believe that tiny little magnets come together in different ratios to make stuff, and that some german guy who failed highschool was right about there being a limit to how fast something can go.

Anything sounds crazy if you word it correctly.

Mr Punch
09-09-2007, 07:48 PM
They'll translate it for you, and it's more accurate than a Kung Fu forum.Meh. Omnes viae Kung-fuforam du****!

EDIT: WTF, automatic Classics Filter - I like it!

OK, should be 'Omnes viae Kungfuforam duminge' or a four-letter variation thereof!

FuXnDajenariht
09-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Er, why don't you just tattoo it in English?! Then you won't risk the ridicule of passing Roman legionnaires or 85 year-old English grammatarians...

Does it personally matter to you that it's in Latin? Nobody's gonna understand it right, which means you must want it for attention... so, if you want a tattoo as a conversation starter why not just get the word 'olm' tattooed on your forehead? :D

Not attacking you, I got ink myself, just don't understand your reasoning...

lol whats does that mean...olm?

well i like latin for one, i think the phrase looks better in latin (ie: cooler) but thats just my opinion. and no its not necesarily a conversation piece. the phrase by its nature means most people will ask me its meaning anyway, but its more like a reminder to myself.

i read the phrase in a Frank Herbert book. one from the Dune series, i dont remember what. it kind of spoke to me. more like hit me like bag of bricks for some reason. i suppose it could mean anything you want it to. the scene was set in the desert. when in the desert your pretty accepting of your choice to be there. you simply have to accept and survive. makes no sense to get angry or upset or lament the heat. as it applies to every day life it basically means "just go with the flow".

its not very well articulated pretentious bullsh!t on my part lol. but i always carry that with me when i'm stressed.

FuXnDajenariht
09-09-2007, 07:55 PM
FWIW I would go for 'peto'. But then I learned classical Latin: this seems a mix, I'm pretty sure 'precor' is a newer form (doesn't even look like a verb to me) and 'posco' definitely is. Plus, 'sue for' would be a good meaning to go for.

Make sure you don't get your Latins mixed up... if you get a mix of classical Latin and medieval Church Latin, hell, neither Centurions nor 12th century monks will be able to understand you! :D

lol i didn't take the different forms of Latin into account. good point....

languages evolve duuuh.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Melissa says don't use the translators, they are very bad.

She created an account, and as soon a Gene approves it, she is going to do the translation for you here.

FuXnDajenariht
09-09-2007, 08:13 PM
ok kewl.....

Mr Punch
09-09-2007, 08:25 PM
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olm

Or I could translate it into Japanese for you...? (The quote, not 'olm'!) Japanese is a cool language...

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Yeah, do the translation to Japanese!! My daughter speaks that too! :D

Mr Punch
09-09-2007, 08:55 PM
きっと、俺の方が上手だろう!;) :D

I thought your daughter was like, fifteen or something?

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-09-2007, 08:58 PM
She is 17...speaks German, some French, self taught Japanese, and dabbles in Latin. She has also created her own language from the grammer up.

She wants to be a language teacher.

FuXnDajenariht
09-09-2007, 09:07 PM
wow... you gotta lil Noam Chomsky on your hands.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Yeah, I know It's scarry. :D

She barely speaks English anymore. I have to learn her language to talk to her. She is teaching me by immersion. It's really cool!

I don't study as much as I should though, and I think I frustrate her a bit with my slow progress.

FuXnDajenariht
09-09-2007, 09:15 PM
lol thats kewl as ****...how far along did she get?

i always thought about doing that but never had the patience.

does she have a working name? what language is it related to if any?

unkokusai
09-09-2007, 09:24 PM
What the heck drives people to permanently brand themselves with words they can't even read?

unkokusai
09-09-2007, 09:28 PM
well i like latin for one.

If you like it so much why don't you go out and learn it well before getting a tattoo?

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Well, with the Japanese, she self taught her self enough so that when she did go to school for it this summer, she could have taught the class.

I am really proud of her. She is super talented.

I am waiting for her to learn Mandarin ...I have a ton of stuff for her to translate for me!!

unkokusai
09-09-2007, 09:29 PM
She is 17...speaks German, some French, self taught Japanese, and dabbles in Latin. She has also created her own language from the grammer up.

................um, yeah.............ok............................... ...

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-09-2007, 09:29 PM
If you like it so much why don't you go out and learn it well before getting a tattoo?

Reply]
Why don't you stop butting into conversations where you are not wanted?

unkokusai
09-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Well, with the Japanese, she self taught her self enough so that when she did go to school for it this summer, she could have taught the class.

It is nice to see a dad proud of his daughter.

Its not nice to see one lose sight of reality, but.......

unkokusai
09-09-2007, 09:31 PM

Reply]
Why don't you stop butting into conversations where you are not wanted?

Oh, I'm sorry! Please don't crouch down really, really low at me and reference some obscure and unsupported 'history' on me!

unkokusai
09-09-2007, 09:33 PM
I am waiting for her to learn Manderian...!!

LOL! Really? Is that the language she made up? That'll come in handy at Star Trek conventions!

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-09-2007, 09:35 PM
What kind of Drugs do you take anyway?

See, this is why doing drugs is bad, bad, bad!! :mad:

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Are you some sort of internet stalker?

unkokusai
09-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Hey, its nice that you are proud, it really is. But don't lose sight of reality.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-09-2007, 09:45 PM
I tell you what, why don't you go back to dragon's list and stop annoying the adults.

unkokusai
09-09-2007, 09:49 PM
You don't count yourself among that number, do you?

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Like I said, go back to Dragon's list...the Adults are busy talking here.

unkokusai
09-09-2007, 09:55 PM
So what the hell are YOU doing here, besides crouching really, really low?

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-09-2007, 10:06 PM
This is what she E-mailed me.

"Nemo poscit sol nam lenitas."

Although I'm not sure on the declension. And the forum won't let me post! D:

NJM
09-09-2007, 10:32 PM
This is what she E-mailed me.

"Nemo poscit sol nam lenitas."

Although I'm not sure on the declension. And the forum won't let me post! D:

She's pretty pimp, RD.

Merryprankster
09-09-2007, 10:47 PM
wow... you gotta lil Noam Chomsky on your hands.

If true, then I hope she'll stick with linguistics instead of branching into politics.

SaintSage
09-09-2007, 11:03 PM
unk...It's generaly a bad idea to insult someone's child. And the fact that she's under 18 makes it even more wrong. That's the kind of situation where, even if you were right, you should probably keep your mouth shut.

RD, God bless you. When I was younger I started making my own language (not a code, but a new language) and I didn't have the kind of support you seem to give your daughter, so I just let it go. Haha, I still remember the alphabet and certain phrases...

Your daughter sounds brilliant, I'm glad she has a dad that can recognize creativity.

unkokusai
09-09-2007, 11:14 PM
unk...It's generaly a bad idea to insult someone's child. .

I have not done so. I will insult you as a presumptuous *****, and the other d-bag as an overly enthusiastic dope who doesn't understand languages and how they are learned (leaving alone the silly notion of 'creating' one)

SaintSage
09-09-2007, 11:31 PM
I have not done so. I will insult you as a presumptuous *****, and the other d-bag as an overly enthusiastic dope who doesn't understand languages and how they are learned (leaving alone the silly notion of 'creating' one)

:rolleyes:
If you don't see how RD could have taken what you said as an insult, you have a serious problem.

EDIT: BTW, J.R.R. Tolkien had the "silly" notion of creating a language...he did it, too. He actualy made more than one...but I guess he was just a nobody that was out of touch with reality... :rolleyes:

sunfist
09-09-2007, 11:36 PM
To perhaps put it a bit more politically, full command of a completely alien language is something that takes decades. You can grasp the core of a language much more quickly than that, sure. But to understand all the little nuances, even with immersion, is not going to come quickly. RDs daughter may well be the exception to the rule, a true prodigy, however any sensible person would at least seek several additional sources before getting it inked.

sunfist
09-09-2007, 11:38 PM
:EDIT: BTW, J.R.R. Tolkien had the "silly" notion of creating a language...he did it, too. He actualy made more than one...but I guess he was just a nobody that was out of touch with reality... :rolleyes:

You do realise Tolkien was one of the leading experts in the world at the time on several old european languages, publisher of non fiction works and a top lecturer in the field, right?

Just saying, Its a stupid comparison.

Mr Punch
09-09-2007, 11:42 PM

She wants to be a language teacher.

Yeah, I know It's scarry. :DMaybe she could do teaching practice by teaching you English...? Wait on, she's a linguist not ****ing magician! :p

She barely speaks English anymore. I have to learn her language to talk to her. She is teaching me by immersion. It's really cool!OK, inventing your own language or at least a framework of one as a linguistic exercise is a great idea, fun and productive, but are you trying to have us believe she has invented a language completely enough to be able to give you immersion in it? I think she's having you on! :D

I don't study as much as I should though, and I think I frustrate her a bit with my slow progress.Monolingualism would be the first step toward bilingualism...! ;)

(leaving alone the silly notion of 'creating' one)For a linguist, it can be a good exercise. For a 17-year-old, I think she's secretly videoing her dad babbling totally meaningless bollocks to get some kind of Youtube prize as a scholarship! :D

SaintSage
09-09-2007, 11:54 PM
You do realise Tolkien was one of the leading experts in the world at the time on several old european languages, publisher of non fiction works and a top lecturer in the field, right?

Just saying, Its a stupid comparison.

But he was a kid once who (by his own admission) invented languages.

Get it now?

FuXnDajenariht
09-10-2007, 12:04 AM

and why do you go so far out of your way to be a d!ck?

FuXnDajenariht
09-10-2007, 12:09 AM
To perhaps put it a bit more politically, full command of a completely alien language is something that takes decades. You can grasp the core of a language much more quickly than that, sure. But to understand all the little nuances, even with immersion, is not going to come quickly. RDs daughter may well be the exception to the rule, a true prodigy, however any sensible person would at least seek several additional sources before getting it inked.

believe me. its not sumthin im gonna go run out and do tomorrow. but a starting point is nice to have.

im reminded of people who go out to get Japanese or Chinese characters tattooed on them and end up with "beef and broccoli" or "i like men" instead.

FuXnDajenariht
09-10-2007, 12:11 AM
If true, then I hope she'll stick with linguistics instead of branching into politics.

lol i dont know. im partial to his politics. ;)

sunfist
09-10-2007, 12:20 AM
But he was a kid once who (by his own admission) invented languages.

Get it now?

At which time he was a child with no acheivments (to put it more coarsely, a nobody), whom was daydreaming and engaging in flights of fancy as all children do, not in touch with reality, one might say.

Are you sarting to get it, mellon nin? :p

FuXnDajenariht
09-10-2007, 12:23 AM
why is anyone even deeming it necessary or proper to comment about what his daughter did or didn't create without actually seeing it firsthand?

golden arhat
09-10-2007, 12:24 AM
A "space ghost"? Have you been writing sci-fi again or have you gone all Anglo-Saxon poetic imagery on us?

And yeah, of course, people had been praying to the sun for centuries before the 'space ghost' popped up.

OMG never speak to me again until u have seen at least one episode of space ghost

u get bravo at home? are u still a uk resident ? he's on the adult swim on there

really funny :D

golden arhat
09-10-2007, 12:27 AM
why is anyone even deeming it necessary or proper to comment about what his daughter did or didn't create without actually seeing it firsthand?

the same reason hes deeming it ok to show off about it without showing us

and does unkokusai ever go away ?

EDIT: no offence RD u seem a sound enough guy

sunfist
09-10-2007, 12:30 AM

I dont know about everyone else, but im talking about Tolkien.

Mr Punch
09-10-2007, 05:42 AM
im reminded of people who go out to get Japanese or Chinese characters tattooed on them and end up with "beef and broccoli" or "i like men" instead.Funnily enough, the Japanese translation for your quote I'd prepared for if you'd asked was exactly

'I like men's beef and two broccoli, Number 21'

It's an idiom.

:D

... anytime!

Mr Punch
09-10-2007, 05:44 AM
OMG never speak to me again until u have seen at least one episode of space ghost

u get bravo at home? are u still a uk resident ? he's on the adult swim on there

really funny :DI'll get me mate to download it... haven't been a UK resident since 99.

FuXnDajenariht
09-10-2007, 06:49 AM
oh yea and please thank your daughter for me for taking the trouble RD. :D

and a big thanks to everyone else who helped on this thread.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-10-2007, 07:09 AM
I'd just like to say here, she may not be 100% fluent in any of the languages she speaks, but how many 17 yearolds in the US can communicate in 3 languages that are not her first language?

She has been in German for several years now, and speaks that one the best.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-10-2007, 07:18 AM
FuXnDajenariht,

You can probably thank her later today after she gets home from school. She created an account for this and is just waiting for Gene's approval.

BruceSteveRoy
09-10-2007, 07:29 AM
just get it put on a t-shirt. (or all of your tshirts)

MasterKiller
09-10-2007, 07:35 AM
FuXnDajenariht,

You can probably thank her later today after she gets home from school. She created an account for this and is just waiting for Gene's approval.

Gene is on vacation for a while. She may not be approved for some time.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-10-2007, 07:46 AM
Really? does anyone else approve memberships?

BruceSteveRoy
09-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Gene is on vacation for a while. She may not be approved for some time.

"on vacation for a while" hmm... seems a bit suspect. is that code for saving the planet (again)?

golden arhat
09-10-2007, 10:49 AM
I'll get me mate to download it... haven't been a UK resident since 99.

really wow where u live these days ?

oh wait no u walk the earth like kwai chang caine :p

actually come to think of it didnt jules (samuel "bmf" l jackson) say he wanted to walk the earth ? like caine

i wonder if thats where the idea for afro samurai came from sam jackson does play him after all

i'd love to see a series where jules walkes the earth being the bmf that he is

oh wait i sense a snakes on a plain moment stay tuned in a couple of months u'l have

PULP FICTION 2 "jules' revenge"

Mr Punch
09-10-2007, 07:47 PM
I walk Tokyo. It's not as big as the Earth but it's a start I guess. Most of the Earth probably smells better though.

NJM
09-10-2007, 09:57 PM
FuXnDajenariht,

Could you ask her, if she has time, to verify the following latin for me:

"Expiscor Substantia Consocium"

Which should mean something ambiguous and vague, which could translate to: "To Find Substance, United in Harmony"

I created it in collaboration with some latin buffs. I just want to make sure its not completely wrong. I'm a bit of a language guy myself, though not even close to her level of expertise.