PDA

View Full Version : Fulltime Kung Fu training in US?

Cimaroon
09-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Where might one find something along the lines of live in full time training? ANything like the sports universitys in Bejing or ?? Maybe just living with sifu? Ive foud a few but nothing to solid yet.

lkfmdc
09-10-2007, 01:25 PM
For $499 a month, you can live in the bathroom of my school, clean it and fetch water for us (which will be an important part of your kung fu training; th buckets must be carried held out to the side). You must make a 10 year committment and the first year will be nothing but holding horse stance. Feel free to contact me at getalife@kungfucinema.com

BruceSteveRoy
09-10-2007, 01:45 PM
i tried that email address but it came back as undeliverable. please advise.

lkfmdc
09-10-2007, 02:06 PM
i tried that email address but it came back as undeliverable. please advise.

sorry, try this one instead

unrealisticexpectations@kffantasycamp.com

if that doesn't work, we also have

LARP@arentu2old4this.com

Dragonzbane76
09-10-2007, 02:10 PM
haha at least you have a sense of humor lkfmdc. It's what keep me going with all the stupid people in this world.

yutyeesam
09-10-2007, 02:15 PM
This is the perfect opportunity for any enterprising Asian or ambiguously Asian slum lords!

BruceSteveRoy
09-10-2007, 02:18 PM
sorry, try this one instead

unrealisticexpectations@kffantasycamp.com

if that doesn't work, we also have

LARP@arentu2old4this.com

that one did the trick. does your camp teach chi blasts? will you show me how to levitate during my meditation?

The Xia
09-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Where might one find something along the lines of live in full time training? ANything like the sports universitys in Bejing or ?? Maybe just living with sifu? Ive foud a few but nothing to solid yet.
http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=780544&postcount=1

The Xia
09-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Here's something that might interest you.
http://www.ymaa.com/retreat-center

IronWeasel
09-10-2007, 03:13 PM
For $499 a month, you can live in the bathroom of my school

That really isn't too bad for Manhattan...

What's the square footage?

cjurakpt
09-10-2007, 05:15 PM
For $499 a month, you can live in the bathroom of my school, clean it and fetch water for us (which will be an important part of your kung fu training; th buckets must be carried held out to the side). You must make a 10 year committment and the first year will be nothing but holding horse stance. Feel free to contact me at getalife@kungfucinema.com
sure beats living in a closet and sleeping on a shelf - not that I ever rented a place like that, right? ;)

That really isn't too bad for Manhattan...
What's the square footage?
sad but true - you've been through the "gauntlet" I take it?
anyway, what he didn't mention was about the guy who's already in there that he'll have to share it with...

cjurakpt
09-10-2007, 05:17 PM
that one did the trick. does your camp teach chi blasts? will you show me how to levitate during my meditation?
I've actually seen Dave levitate while sitting (although to be fair it was right after a meal at Taco Grande...)

David Jamieson
09-10-2007, 05:18 PM
sad but true - you've been through the "gauntlet" I take it?
anyway, what he didn't mention was about the guy who's already in there that he'll have to share it with...

...or the bad part about that guy living in the upstairs part of the "accommodations"...

cjurakpt
09-10-2007, 05:26 PM

and when you need a weekend break from your city-based training, you can come to my house in the suburbs and train some more:

a) pulling up the crab grass from my 2,000 sq. ft. lawn (trains stances and tiger claw) and carrying it in trash bags to the curb (holding the bags ou to the sides - continuity of training for your water-porting duties)

b) babysit my 3 year old for the afternoon (trains running speed, lower leg retraction reflexes, distant sound identification and localization, kiai-jutsu and psychological fortitude)

c) staining and sealing my 500 sq ft deck (using the brush up & down and side to side is like...aww, well, you know all about that)

and as a bonus:
d) run barefoot through the backyard where my 150 lbs. Swiss Bernese has been roaming around all day after eating leftovers from Taco Grande the night before (trains agility, surefootedness and definitely psychological fortitude)

you will then be returned to your GrandMaster Sifu for further instruction...

Cimaroon
09-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Must say yall are some reall good sports.

David Jamieson
09-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Must say yall are some reall good sports.

actually, collectively we are being total d1cks. But keep smiling and YOU will be the good sport. :)

cjurakpt
09-10-2007, 05:49 PM
don't take it personally, we get a lot of kung fu fantasy dopes around here, so it's just pro forma

seriously though, in this country it's a pipe dream, at least as far as anything organized (unless you have $90K to drop on YJM's 10 year long group encounter session; or go contemplate your navel with James MacNeil - I think he has a live-in program); I mean, if you really want to live with your sifu (lord knows why you'd want to do that, seriously...), you'd probably have to spend a few years in a regular class anyway before someone would take you in I imagine; you only chance of doing that right away would be finding a homeless Sifu and taking him home with you?

dumb question - why not just go to China and join the sort of outfit that you are looking to get into there? it'll be loads cheaper, and the environment would be much more conducive to what you are looking for

Cimaroon
09-10-2007, 07:30 PM
I do know of at least two instructors that take folks on fulltime, in house. One Woman who trains in Aikido along with other land based works, kinda like some of the jokes you folks are making. Working on her farm,etc, you doing something for her ,she returns its.And another who takes on fulltime wingchun students. Its out there, fantasy or not.

B-Rad
09-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Well, you just answered your own question then. You've got two options right there ;) What're you bugging us for? :D If you want something like Beijing Sports University, buying a plane ticket and flying to Beijing and enrolling there might be your cheapest option (and you'd get to learn Chinese!). Here in the U.S. I think Wah Lum's got some kind of live in program, but I don't know how much it is. I've never met any quality teacher that has any kind of servant in exchange for live in kungfu program (at least for random strangers).

Mr Punch
09-10-2007, 09:59 PM
There's the Budo University in Kanagawa, nr Tokyo too, if you want to go abroad, and you can do exchange programmes there with China too...

Costs a pretty penny and you'd have to study Japanese too though. But you know, if you wanted to do it properly...

:)

bodhitree
09-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Doesn't Chung Moo Do encourage students to live together? You could learn the arts of the chinese royal court.

sihing
09-11-2007, 08:08 AM

Sifu Gary Lam in LA California has a live in program, teaching Ving Tsun (his Wing Chun is not your typical Wing Chun, it includes chin na, and Muay Thai as he trained in that back in the 80's). He has a guest house on his property and when you stay there under those conditions you get anywhere from 4 to 7 hrs a day of training (the training hall is his backyard, fully equiped with dummy's, crash pads, pole training aperatus and kicking equipment), especially good if there are other live in's there as well. Sifu Lam's website is www.garylamwingchun.com , I've participated in this program and it is well worth the money spent. I remember saying to myself that I have found my little Shaolin Temple. Please call him as he is very approachable and knowledgeable in the Martial Arts:)

James

P.S. He is travelling to the UK very soon, so if you call him call now.

Eddie
09-11-2007, 08:10 AM
few weeks back we had scouts from the Shenyang Sports university over at our school. Their package looked pretty good, and their fees are pretty reasonalble. Id imagine if you go from the US, it would be 7 times cheaper than it is for us, so that shouldnt be much of an issue.

If you really are serious about that, go to China. Otherwise, just get an apartment near your gym and offer to water the plants everyday. Maybe that way you can become a full time student.

BruceSteveRoy
09-11-2007, 08:28 AM
i like this guy he withstood a bit of new guy hazing and still kept his sense of humor. doing this sort of thing in the u.s. as everyone said is not worth it. if you want to live out the fantasy go to china. if you dont want to do the whole wushu thing and are interested in something traditional this might be worth looking in to.

http://yeeshungga.com/china/2006_intensive_prog_flyer.pdf

good luck. and thanks for playing.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Doesn't Chung Moo Do encourage students to live together? You could learn the arts of the chinese royal court

Reply]
Don't you mean the Royal court jester?

Cimaroon
09-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Raspect to those keeping it real here with truthful replys. Peace and thanks.

chyna
09-16-2007, 09:48 PM
I've heard that the Wah Lum Temple in Orlando has a pretty good live in program. You can get info from their main website.

Phuc Carem
09-17-2007, 05:48 AM
The replies by lkfmdc, yutyeesam and cjurakpt had me laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes and my stomach and chest hurt LOL my wife was laughing as well, she said she did not think anyone else would ask about Full Time Kung Fu training especially after all of that LOL

Yao Sing
09-17-2007, 06:51 AM
Wah Lum Temple in Orlando, FL has a live in professional program.

http://www.wahlum.com