PDA

View Full Version : CLF 5 wheel stance

stout
09-11-2007, 10:52 AM
what is this? does anyone know for sure. I remember reading this in the Doc Fai Wong book a good while ago, just pop'd into my mind today.

cheers
S

hskwarrior
09-11-2007, 11:32 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=E8tMty5xvbw

the link above is what you are speaking about.

perhaps in the future, if you want to know about clf forms, check youtube first. you can find so many things there.

and below is the hand form

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dNAYUK1V8yE

CLFNole
09-11-2007, 11:54 AM
The versions will vary a bit from lineage to lineage but basically they are more or less fundamental sets that work various stances and hand techniques. Also focuses on turn the waist.

stout
09-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Thanks Sifu Frank

What makes it 5 wheel? I was thinking it more for the purpose of strifing and closing in on your opponnent.

The first link shows that the sifu does do some circular motion with his lead foot in cat stance, strife a little before he goes into the twisted stance. Doc Fai Wong seems pretty similar to Lee Koon Hung's version, except for speed, he goes straight.

CLFNole
09-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Not sure of the significance of the name Ng Lun (maybe XJ would know) but they are also called Li Ma & Che Kuen with our branch (LKH).

jdhowland
09-17-2007, 07:55 AM
My sigung, Ho Ngau claimed that the "five wheels" were the five basic stances taught. The problem with this explanation is that the set we got from him has six basic stances: sei pihng ma, ding jih ma, diu ma, duhk luhp ma, gwai ma, and nau ma.

It's also possible that the "five" refer to parts of the body rotating together like wheels in the same way that "sei pihng ma" refers to the legs, shoulders and head staying level, and as a play on words the fourth "level" is the heart (meaning a relaxed mind).

Some have tried to see five sections to the training. Ours has three major sections. When you add the fists to the training to make the "five wheels fists" (we also call this "che kyuhn") you find that the hands in combination with the stances are used in increasingly complex combinations. It turns out that these three sections in our first two training sets are a microcosm of the CLF curriculum.
The first section is broad, swinging strikes and chaap cheui. The second consists of grappling and throwing techniques. The third section has squatting while grappling and using more specialized hand forms for vital point strikes.

I've been doing these two sets for more than thirty years and I'm still impressed by how well designed they are.

CLFNole
09-17-2007, 09:09 AM
I have often thought that the five had some type of significance with the 5 petals of the plum flower symbol. Maybe I am overthinking here. :D

extrajoseph
09-18-2007, 01:49 AM
"Five" stands for the 5 directions of left, right, forward, retreat and center (when we start to move, it becomes a "Sup Ji"). "Wheel" stands for rotation of the body and footwork as in "Da Bok", "Sair Bok" and "Gwai Ma".

Eddie
09-18-2007, 05:06 AM
why cant we just download extrajoseph's knowledge from the internet so,mewhere ? :D

I also think EJ and Frank need to start an online fight again. I love those tiff, usually when the best knowledge gets exchanged :cool:

thanks for that mr ExtraJoseph

JAZA
09-18-2007, 08:09 PM
extrajoseph,

So Sup Ji doesn't stand only for cross and do have a 10 related meaning?

Xanks

extrajoseph
09-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Jaza,

The additonal word "ji" (written character) with "sup" (number ten) fixed the meaning as a cross shape and not 10 things.

XJ

Mano Mano
09-20-2007, 07:59 AM
So the literal translation of the Sup ji form would be 10 shape fist or 10 pattern fist.

CLFNole
09-20-2007, 08:09 AM
I thing it is Cross Pattern Fist - Sup Gee means the character 10 hence the cross pattern. Sup Ying would be 10 shape.