PDA

View Full Version : kung fu and bruce lee

chen zhen
08-11-2001, 09:32 PM
anyone know any websites where you can see what other kf styles bruce learnt while in hong kong, like the praying mantis and tiger stuff that he demonstratedd

DragonzRage
08-12-2001, 04:56 AM
I don't know of any websites but here's what I know: Bruce was taught a little tai chi by his father. After he'd been doing wing chun for awhile and before he left for America, he also had some brief informal training with a sifu who taught northern styles of kung fu. But basically all he did was teach Bruce a couple forms from northern shaolin and praying mantis. In exchange Bruce taught him how to dance the cha cha.

chen zhen
08-16-2001, 09:25 PM
i also heard that he did some southern mantis.1

PHILBERT
08-17-2001, 05:43 AM
In the book Tao of Gung Fu, it said that Bruce studied these arts*:

Wing Chun
Tai Chi Ch'uan
Hung-gar
Chin-na

*These were the arts up until he wrote the book in 1964

Classical forms he learned or demonstrated:

1.) Praying Mantis
2.) Southern Mantis
3.) Wing Chun gung fu's sil lum tao
4.) Jeet Kune
5.) Fu jow (tiger-claw)
6.) Crane

Styles that held Bruce's interest in the 1960s

1.) Tai Chi
2.) Northern Praying Mantis
3.) Eagle claw
4.) Pa-kua
5.) Monkey boxing
6.) Jeet kune
7.) Choy Lay Fat

And last but not least

Gung Fu styles Bruce read up on

1.) Southern Mantis
2.) Eagle claw
3.) Dragon fist
4.) T'ai chi ch'uan
5.) Choy Lay Fat
6.) Hsing-I
7.) sil lum tao
8.) Pa-kua
9.) Hung-gar
10.) Chin-na
11.) Dim mak

This can be found in Bruce Lee: The Tao of Gung Fu, A Study in the Way of Chinese Martial Art, edited by John Little (volume 2) in Appendix 1 on page 186-187.

PHILBERT

chen zhen
08-17-2001, 08:45 PM
yes, i have that book myself, a pretty good book actually...
but is there any sources where, fore example, you can see him demonstrate any movements,like the mantis stuff?(websites and books)
and i also read an article that said something like: "when he did a northern shaolin side kick he did it with a stomp like in wing chun."
whats the deal with that? do you do a side kick in NSL you know, with that running start like he did?c

Headbasher100
08-20-2001, 12:59 AM
Hey does anyone know of a descent jkd school around cleveland area. My neck of the woods is kind of sparse when it comes to BL arts?
THanks in advance.
Dar