PDA

View Full Version : Name my school

Tingjid
09-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Hi, I own and operate a small school for over a year now and it's probably the most rewarding thing I've ever done. The details are inconsequential so I shall spare you, suffice it to say I teach Kung Fu, Tai Chi and Yoga. When I inherited the school from my teacher when he moved away I kept the name, but I feel it is no longer fitting because it is too broad. Also I’ve recently become a Reiki practitioner and will be offering Reiki as a new service at my school. My Tai Chi classes are becoming more indepth as I discover my own teaching style and my love of the internal arts is going beyond even what it was before I started teaching. So I’ll be adding a chi kung class (focusing mainly on the 8 pieces of brocade and chakra balancing, small circle of heaven, root training, stuff like that).

So I’m looking for a name that encompasses all of that and adds a good focus to the fact that I’m moving in a more internally focused direction. Something that says we practice Reiki to heal people but can also teach people chi kung to better heal themselves and improve internal strength in both a gentle manner and from a very martial standpoint.

My problem there is no physical way to say all of that so that it will fit on my sign.

I’m about to move to a bigger school and I’d like to have the name thing figured out by then. I have a few things I’ve been thinking about.

Shao-Lin Kung Fu & Energy Systems

Shao-Lin Kung Fu & Chi Kung

Shao-Lin Wellness Center

Shao-Lin Kung Fu & Energy Healing

Shao-Lin Kung Fu & Internal Development

So if you guys have suggestions my students and I are stumped, any help would be appreciated. What do you think?

Thanks....

TenTigers
09-13-2007, 12:35 PM
I Like Shaolin Wellness center and Shaolin Kung-Fu and Internal Development.
I also like Shaolin Center for Kung-Fu and Internal Development

SaintSage
09-13-2007, 12:39 PM
You run a school but have only been training five years?

Tingjid
09-13-2007, 01:01 PM
I haven't updated that since I started here, but I believe that's about right, in Martial Arts I have been training about that long, Yoga and Tai chi it would be fair amount longer, more like 7 or 8. The circumstances under which I took over my teachers school are unfortunate, but in the end it worked out. My school is successful enough, the students and I have fun and train hard, it allows me a place to train personally and teaching is not only fullfilling it also alows me to continue to be a student, I have people at my school from all different styles and they all bring something different to the table. In all honesty I think it's an advantage to not be as experienced as others, keeps me open minded and keeps me questioning everything, but you are entitled to your opinion.

SaintSage
09-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything other than surprise.

Tingjid
09-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Fair enough, then I am sorry if I got somewhat defensive, becuase I am young to own my own school, and that is something I often deal with. People will walk in and be like so is your teacher here, to me that's like asking if your mommy or daddy is home :p

Though I must admit I enjoy the looks when I say no sir I'm the teacher...

Tingjid
09-13-2007, 01:26 PM

I like Shao-Lin Center for Kung Fu & Internal Development, but I don't think it'll fit on the sign. But it does sound more professional. Thansk for the input.

BruceSteveRoy
09-13-2007, 01:33 PM
i like the name "chinese karate"

ok just kidding. i think you can make TT's suggestion fit on a sign. its not as though there is only one size font and if it doesnt ft your screwed.

golden arhat
09-13-2007, 01:38 PM
i think u should make it something like

shaolin center for internal and martial progression

"your style" athletic association

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Kung Fu etc... :D

SaintSage
09-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Oh, btw, what's the legality of Reiki where you are? You don't want your school closed down for practicing medicine without a license.

B-Rad
09-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Also curious what sort of kungfu and taiji you teach? Obviously Shaolin but what branch? And what branch of taiji? BTW, who was your teacher?

Anyway, I think Shaolin Wellness Center or Shao-Lin Kungfu and Qigong are my favorites. Shaolin Kungfu and Internal Development is a decent name too though.

B-Rad
09-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Something with specifics about your style/lineage would be nice too, as "Shaolin" is a bit generic.

SPJ
09-13-2007, 07:27 PM
1. may be Tai Chi, qi gong and yoga center of city name.

Shao lin is the name of a place or mountain and of course the temple.

unless your kung fu is shaolin style. it is not necessary to name your school after shaolin.

2, "life wellness/fitness center of a city name"

depending on your focus is health/fitness or fighting aspects.

3. Shaolin has the connotation of Chan sect of buddhism.

unless you are leaning toward buddhism. again it is not necessary to use the name shaolin.

--

just some thoughts.

:D

NJM
09-13-2007, 08:00 PM
I like "<name of city/area> Center of the Internal Arts."

I am also interested in learning what style/lineage of shaolin you learned.

TenTigers
09-13-2007, 10:17 PM
generic is good. 99% of the people don't ask which style of Shaolin, and when they do, you tell them, heck most people don't know Shaolin from Chow-Mein.
You think most people would ask if you did shorin ryu,wado-ryu,goju-ryu? Nope. They ask if you do Kahrotty.

Tingjid
09-14-2007, 05:05 AM
Oh, btw, what's the legality of Reiki where you are? You don't want your school closed down for practicing medicine without a license.

My Reiki teacher got into that, I'm in Columbus Ohio, and apparently all is good as far as the legalities of Reiki are concerned, but thanks for the concern, that would be painful.

As far as font is concerned, I'm in a shopping center (moving from a smaller place, like 1000 sq ft too 1400 sq ft), everyone has the same size sign with the same size font.

I'm trying to keep it general, most people that come in are beginners with some exceptions. But most people aren't going to worry about my lineage they want to know that I have some skill and can teach in a friendly and knowledgable way, so I'm more looking for a general idea of what we do at the school.

Thanks all for the input, I liked a lot of those, but I believe I'll be sticking with "Kung Fu etc"... or maybe "Punch & Kick 'R' Us"

My only real problem with Karhotty is when the kids in my class call it that, it's always horse stance time at that point and a nice 2 minute long explanation of why we call it kung fu :D

FungFu2u2
09-14-2007, 07:11 AM

I am going with him on this one. Simple and to the point.

TenTigers
09-14-2007, 07:23 AM
what I was thinking,if yo went with "Shaolin Center for Kung-Fu and Internal Development,"if your students competed, the Shaolin Center would be the emphasis on the patch or logo, also answering the phone,"Good Morning, Shaolin Center.." rather than,"Good Morning, Shaolin Center for Kung-Fu and Internal Development, Rik speaking, how may I direct your call..." I would need an extra set of lungs to get that out.

FungFu2u2
09-14-2007, 07:29 AM
what I was thinking,if yo went with "Shaolin Center for Kung-Fu and Internal Development,"if your students competed, the Shaolin Center would be the emphasis on the patch or logo, also answering the phone,"Good Morning, Shaolin Center.." rather than,"Good Morning, Shaolin Center for Kung-Fu and Internal Development, Rik speaking, how may I direct your call..." I would need an extra set of lungs to get that out.

Good point. You would spend half the day just to get all that said answering the phone.

The Willow Sword
09-14-2007, 07:51 AM
you could call it "The Shaolin-Do Martial Arts Academy";):p:D

Peace,TWS

Tingjid
09-14-2007, 08:22 AM

That is a good point, having a full name and then something to call it for short would be nice.