PDA

View Full Version : Just a state of mind?

tai chi hermit
09-13-2007, 01:48 PM
I training in any martial art or even anything really, just a state if mind? You may repeat the form and movements over and over and your muscles may get use to it but actually is everything just a simple state of mind?

Scott R. Brown
09-14-2007, 02:27 AM
I training in any martial art or even anything really, just a state if mind? You may repeat the form and movements over and over and your muscles may get use to it but actually is everything just a simple state of mind?

Hi tai chi hermit,

Well yes it is, but to explain it comprehensively would take a book.

In somewhat truncated form: mind directs, the body and emotions respond. There are certainly some parasympathetic bodily reactions that are automatic. Many or all of these may be controlled with practice. Parasympathetic reactions are provided by nature to enhance our safety, such as flinching at danger or quickly drawing our hand away from fire. But this is not what is addressed when we say that experience is determined by mind!

Hui-neng relates an event in his life when he came upon two monks observing a banner moving in the wind. The two monks were arguing over whether the banner was moving or the wind was moving. It was Hui-neng’s assertion that it was their own minds that were moving.

Our perceptions and how we interpret our perceptions are functions of the mind. Our perceptions are filtered through our ego identity which draws conclusions about our perceptions, often incorrectly, and these conclusions whether correct or incorrect influence/determine our behavior. If it is our goal to perform righteous actions, that is, actions that are performed for the right reason, then it behooves us to learn to perceive clearly, without ego obstruction. Unobstructed perception allows us to make decisions based upon what is actually occurring and not what we “think” is occurring as determined by our ego filter.

Since our experiences are perceived with the mind and filtered through our ego, the amount of ego clutter we possess influences how we perceive events. How we perceive events will influence our reaction to them. Our reactions will influence the course of events in either a positive or negative manner. In order to understand how to act in the most beneficial manner we must acquire insight/wisdom. This is developed through introspection into our mind.

How effectively our actions are directed by conscious decisions is a matter of how aware we are of our mind and its functions; developing awareness takes practice. Awareness is developed through introspection. Introspection is merely looking into the mind to observe how it functions and how it influences/determines our perceptions.

When we react emotionally to an event we are behaving in a manner that is generally out of our control. This generally influences circumstances in a less than optimal manner. Just as a pebble dropped into a pond will create ripples that interact with all the other ripples in the pond, so our actions ripple outward to affect others. Through insight/wisdom/awareness we are able to better choose actions that create generally beneficial interactions.

Following the principles of Tao as illustrated by Yin-Yang we must understand that even negative reactions may create a positive result. In the end it is each of us that will determine for ourselves whether an interaction is measured as beneficial or detrimental based upon what we bring to the event. It is inherently not our responsibility how others choose to interpret our actions. We are concerned about our own actions because of how obstructed perception influences ourselves negatively.

The greater the self-awareness we have the greater control/freedom we have over our actions. With awareness we become free to choose our actions, rather than being at the mercy of actions occurring as a consequence of preconditioned responses.

Even programmed behaviors such as learning a movement until it becomes a spontaneous reaction is a function of the mind. It was a mental decision to learn and practice until the action became automatic. Our mind conditioned our body’s reaction. Our mind and body possesses this ability so that we can use our awareness in a more efficient manner. If we had to concentrate deeply every time we performed any action we would barely be able to perform any action at all much less numerous ones at the same time.

Habituation of action creates automatic responses that can also work to our detriment at times. So it is beneficial to periodically evaluate the benefit of habitual reactions. You don’t want to accidentally punch out your child when they startle you because you have trained yourself to react in a particular manner to surprises. Awareness provides a means of mediating our conditioned reactions.

Introspection is the means to accomplish this. Many meditative practices are meant to help us transcend the ego in order to clearly perceive circumstances without obstruction.

sunfist
09-15-2007, 04:12 AM
I think its a chicken-egg question. All things may begin with the mind, but you must then be able to manifest them physically. Both sides of the equation are required, or roaming gangs of sport fighters will beat you up and steal your lunch money.

Doc Stier
09-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Scott:

You write with such authority, seemingly as if you have completely mastered the subject matter you describe. Is that true? Have you personally eliminated the "ego clutter" responsible for "obstructed perceptions" from your own mind? Do you really "perceive clearly, without ego obstruction" as a normal course, and really "make decisions based upon what is actually occurring, not what you 'think' is occurring as determined by your ego filter"? Do you believe that you "are able to better choose actions that create generally beneficial interactions" due to your level of "insight/wisdom/awareness"? If so, perhaps you would also share the methods you used to transcend your ego to this level.

Thanks. :)

Doc

cjurakpt
09-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Scott:

You write with such authority, seemingly as if you have completely mastered the subject matter you describe. Is that true? Have you personally eliminated the "ego clutter" responsible for "obstructed perceptions" from your own mind? Do you really "perceive clearly, without ego obstruction" as a normal course, and actually "make decisions based upon what is actually occurring, not what you 'think' is occurring as determined by your ego filter"? Do you believe that you "are able to better choose actions that create generally beneficial interactions" due to your level of "insight/wisdom/awareness"? If so, perhaps you would also share the methods you used to transcend your ego to this level.

Thanks. :)

Doc

let the "Dharma combat" begin...:eek:

Scott R. Brown
09-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Hi Doc,

There is no such thing as Mastery in my opinion, it is a relative term. After a certain level of understanding is reached one realizes there is no such thing as mastering a subject, an ability, a skill, or a perspective. This is because there is always something else to accomplish or something else to learn from the vantage point of where one finds themselves at any particular time. If one considers themselves a Master it creates a label, a sort of mental barrier that tends to limit further growth. What occurs is they will tend to try to live up to their “idea” or “definition” of what they “think” it means to be a Master. This leads to contrived behavior. To contrive our behavior is to be out of accord with Tao. I do not concern myself with this label or with trying to “be a Master”. I focus on learning and growing.

To me life is about growth. One of the thoughts I try to live by is, “The only thing you take with you when you die is who you are!” So my time is better spent concentrating on improving my mental, emotional and spiritual condition. These are the values that are important to me. I do not seek to impose them onto others or compete with others. If there are others who are interested in interacting with me then I enjoy the time spent sharing ideas. If they are not interested that is ok with me too. It is not my responsibility to save the world, but to do the best I can with what I have at the place I am in at any moment in time.

I would say I have more insight than some and less than others; that is no different that anyone else, but inherently it does not matter. In the sharing of ideas I grow. I grow from sharing my own ideas and I grow from having others share their ideas with me. But it is not my responsibility to help others grow; that is their own responsibility.

From my perspective life is not a race and there is no competition, there is no hurry and it isn't important whether I know more than Mr. A or less than Mr. B. I don't seek to compete, but neither will I shy away from conflict. One of the principles of Tao as illustrated by Yin-Yang is that conflict stimulates growth. So if conflict is afoot and I am inclined to participate I will, when I am no longer inclined I retreat, once again, as modeled by Yin-Yang.

Some of my insights I have discovered on my own, others I learned first from others and then practiced applying them in my life. I know what I know from direct experience, but what I know is not anything new. Many of the comments I make have been stated by others for thousands of years and I will commonly quote them from time to time in order to lend some authority to my comments. My comments are not original thoughts. They are the same ideas stated by others restated according to my own experiences, temperament and ability to communicate.

I am not concerned whether anyone listens to me or not. If I say something that helps someone in their journey, I am happy to have helped. If others think it is a bunch of bull that is ok too, my comments are not for them. If my comments offend some that is their own burden to carry.

I write what I write to stimulate thoughts and introspection on the part of the readers, to help myself learn to communicate complicated concepts to a variety of individuals, to challenge myself in the arena of ideas with others and to provide myself with opportunities for growth. It is merely a game with no real winners or losers, just interactions that affect each other like ripples in a pond.

If you are asking if I think I know it all, well I have already answered that in a previous post. What each of us has to share is like 4 blind men who touch an elephant in different areas and then describe what they have experienced. None of the descriptions is wrong, but none of them are the whole picture either; having said that, the quality of each man’s description will be influenced by his temperament, experiences in life, education, ability to communicate, maturity, etc. Therefore some descriptions will be more helpful than others.

For example, an individual who is more articulate would likely have a more complete and understandable description of his individual experience. A man who has touched half of the elephant would have a greater perspective than a man who merely touched the trunk. If you closed your eyes and touched the same elephant after reading the descriptions of the other four men, you would have an expectation of what you would experience, but the experience would not be uniquely your own. You, (all of us), would have a tendency to filter our own experience according to what we expect based upon what we have learned from reading the description of others. In a sense, our experience would be the same as the others, but different as well. The key for each of us in this circumstance would be to allow the previous descriptions to guide us without limiting our experience. We may have a tendency to ignore experiences/perceptions that were not mentioned by the others or reinterpret our experiences/perceptions in order to make them conform to the description of the “experts”. If we do this we rob ourselves of our own personal insights into the experience.

I hope this response adequately answers your questions. If not I am happy to respond again later.

Scott R. Brown
09-15-2007, 04:51 PM

You didn't say 1,....2...,..3, GO!!!!;)

Doc Stier
09-15-2007, 05:01 PM

There is no 'combat' inherent to the Dharma, but only personal challenges in fully embracing it, IMO. Speaking of personal challenges, however, what are your thoughts regarding the possibility of experiencing a 'Karma Coma'?

Doc :D

Doc Stier
09-15-2007, 05:34 PM
I hope this response adequately answers your questions. If not I am happy to respond again later.

Hi Scott:

Well, kinda sorta, in a philosophically wordy and intellectually roundabout way. Without directly answering any of my simple questions, you essentially answered 'No' to all of them, with the possible exception of the final question regarding "insight/wisdom/awareness", which I read as a qualified 'Yes' in varying degrees depending on what is being addressed. These seem to be realistic and honest answers, and thus quite adequate. Thanks for replying.

I disagree with other comments you made along the way, however. Notably, I feel that mastery of a subject or a skill is in fact possible, although certainly only from the perspective of comparative assessment among all those who engage in the same study or the application of the same skills, not inherently any unconditioanl mastery of anything in and of itself alone. I also believe the attainment of mastery in any field of study or in the application of any specific skill does not necessarily mean the end of further knowledge acquisition or the end of continuing skill attainment. Those who truly achieve any degree of mastery in any field of endeavor usually better realize how much potential still remains to learn and achieve even more than those of lesser knowledge and achievement often do. What others comparatively perceive as a great achievement, the true master perceives as a small accomplishment in the domain of infinite potentiality. A true master would thus never settle for the mediocrity of "contrived behavior". ;)

Doc

Scott R. Brown
09-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Hi Doc,

I answer questions according to my temperament. Feel free not to ask any more if you do not like the manner in which I reply.

Since those who achieve a modicum of mastery over any subject, according to your definition, understand there is further learning available, they have not fully mastered the field according to their own perspective, while it could be said to be mastered from the perspective of novice.

Their “Mastery” exists only relative to those with less expertise. To those with similar or greater expertise they have no Mastery. So, in essence, they have not Mastered the subject.

As I said, Mastery is a relative term.

I have explained my reasons for not accepting the term. I do not accept it for myself, I do not consider it a quality possessed by others and I question the maturity of anyone who uses it for himself.

Daniel09
09-15-2007, 07:04 PM
In the past I have made the egotistical mistake of believing I was best and all knowing. That has changed in a relatively short amount of time, eg about 5 years. Now I do not look at the here and now as a stressful association, but merely another obstacle I must overcome. If I choose the wrong path I learn from the mistake and move on. I am no master. I believe no master is a master, they are simply those of higher understanding or "teachers". So even though I am quite young, I try to learn from those around me and help others.

In case you're wondering, I'm 15 years old, 16 in December. This may hinder your ability to take me seriously, but I look at myself and see a teenager going through mood swings. I can't stop them and I'd rather not. Better to get the feelings out than attempt to hold them in. I'm not in a philisophical mood very often so you probably won't get a good answer out of me very often. If in doubt, look to the stars. All the answers lie there.

cjurakpt
09-15-2007, 07:53 PM
what is mastery? is it simply the ability to perform a technique with greater skill than another? or is it something that goes beyond technique?

mastery is not a static state - that seems to be agreed upon - you never stop evolving in one's mastery of a subject - however, I think that as some point one reaches a level that can be consiered mastery: perhaps this is when one has infused the principle(s) in question into ones daily life in a way that there is no separation between what one is and what one does - certainly not "contrived"; for example, if one's taiji practice is masterful, one not only moves in a way according to the principles when one does the form, but when one does anything - what kind of complete taiji mastery can there be if one moves "correctly" in the form but walks stiffly down the street, or throws ones back out lifting a heavy load because one was in a rush and didn't have proper awareness? taking it astep further, if one experiences pain because of emotional distress that one does not acknowledge, because one does not allow the proper movement to occur, what then? (BTW, to me this is where Daoist practice and Ch'an practice intermingle in a very interesting way - the appllication to daily life in the everyday dealings of society)

techniques are ultimately limited, because they are necessarilly constrained - you do a certain move a certain way; with mastery, one finds freedom - not in the sense of moving randomly or incoherently - rather, one is not bounded by the vehicle one uses to proceed: Hui Neng teearing up the Sutras was masterful (well, at least for Hui Neng! me tearing up theSutras is another story entirely...:( )

ultimately, how does one meet the challenge of life? habitually, reacting from one's old patterns? or masterfully, spontaneously, alive in each moment...

cjurakpt
09-15-2007, 07:56 PM
There is no 'combat' inherent to the Dharma, but only personal challenges in fully embracing it, IMO.
I'd suggest reading Blue Cliff Record - those monks were fierce with each other!

Speaking of personal challenges, however, what are your thoughts regarding the possibility of experiencing a 'Karma Coma'?
Doc :D
I honestly don't know what that is supposed to mean, so I guess I have no thoughts on the matter prior to clarification

Doc Stier
09-15-2007, 08:19 PM
I answer questions according to my temperament. Feel free not to ask any more if you do not like the manner in which I reply.

Since those who achieve a modicum of mastery over any subject, according to your definition, understand there is further learning available, they have not fully mastered the field according to their own perspective, while it could be said to be mastered from the perspective of novice.

Their “Mastery” exists only relative to those with less expertise. To those with similar or greater expertise they have no Mastery. So, in essence, they have not Mastered the subject.

As I said, Mastery is a relative term.

I have explained my reasons for not accepting the term. I do not accept it for myself, I do not consider it a quality possessed by others and I question the maturity of anyone who uses it for himself.

Scott:

Sorry to labor you with menial questions. And for the record, I don't care how you reply. You are certainly entitled to your personal opinions, just as we all are. In the grand scheme of things, our opinions are probably only of value primarily to ourselves, and even then but temporarily, since they often change over time.

One definition for the title of 'master' in the Webster's Collegiate Dictionary at hand is "One who has attained a superior skill in the use of anything", and in another definition as "One so proficient in skill as to follow his trade or profession independently and teach apprentices; an expert tutor or preceptor." Apparently no requirement is associated with the term which precludes learning more about one's field of speciality after attaining mastery of any skill, or which implies that one must know all that can possibly be known about one's field of speciality.

You firmly stated that “Mastery exists only relative to those with less expertise. To those with similar or greater expertise they have no Mastery. So, in essence, they have not Mastered the subject." Your summation conclusion is clearly not so as there is in fact a special sense of comradeship among those who mutually recognize and acknowledge a similar level of expertise in the same field of endeavor, while also acknowledging that such expertise within their common field of endeavor varies from one to another by degree, whether due to natural gifts and talents, or due to length of study and experience, or both.

Greater financial compensation often accompanies the application of masterful skills as a reward for consistently demonstrated excellence as well. This is certainly the case among martial arts masters, master healers, master marketers, master arborists, master carpenters, master musicians, and masters of virtually every professional and avocational field in which personal demonstration of superior individual skill results in the establishment of a personal name reputation for excellence and expertise in comparison to the vast majority of individuals in the same field of endeavor. In this latter sense, such mastery is indeed a relative term, as you stated, based on direct comparisons of personal skill.

Doc

Daniel09
09-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Many people consider me a master of computer graphics, but does that really make me a master? No, that makes me an adept I suppose. I understand what you're saying and so does scott. What we mean is in the actual, real life sense, not the definitive.

Doc Stier
09-15-2007, 09:45 PM
I understand what you're saying and so does scott. What we mean is in the actual, real life sense, not the definitive.

Daniel:

That's what I mean as well. The definition of common usage for any word, including the word 'master', precisely describes its usual interpretation and significance of meaning in the real life, everyday language of speech and writing. This is exactly what distinguishes the commonly accepted meaning of a word, is it not?

Doc

Scott R. Brown
09-15-2007, 10:11 PM
The concept of mastery or any other term for that matter is arbitrarily determined. Everything that is arbitrarily determined is inherently illusory. Meanings/definitions have a practical purpose. Words, definitions and concepts are tools we use to benefit us, to serve us, but what tends to occur is we start to serve the words. That is, we conform ourselves to the definition and therefore limit our experience. The definition of mastery is just a definition, it is NOT mastery. When we strive for mastery or consider ourselves a master we confine ourselves to the arbitrary definition. We begin to serve the definition rather that it serving us.

When we conform to arbitrary definitions we serve the word and our actions become contrived. In the end we actually lose whatever mastery we think we have achieved because inherently mastery is a state of mind or a condition of being.

Scott R. Brown
09-15-2007, 11:38 PM
Hi Doc,

I did not consider your questions menial, only your response as rudely worded as your original questions. With each post you continue your poor attitude,

You are still not following your own advice to NJM.

To quote you, "Sometimes, it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open the mouth and remove all doubt!"

The more you behave like an impudent child the more foolish you appear.

I think it may be a bit late already though. If you continue with your rude attitude you may find few people willing to play with you and you will have to take your ball (poor attitude) and go play somewhere else.

Try to lighten up a little and take the chip off your shoulder.

Since you have already referred to me as your "Dad" (Yes, I know it was meant as an insult.) I will advise you to try behaving more like our resident 15 year old adult, Daniel ,and less like a typical 15 year old punk!

Oh yeah! I forgot to try to ameliorate the terseness of my post with superfluous smilies, :):confused::eek::D:rolleyes:;)

Scott R. Brown
09-15-2007, 11:40 PM
Hi Daniel,

No worries, you are doing fine. I think at 15 you are ahead of the game.

Try not to be too concerned with the sour pusses of the world. Sometimes they are fun to play with, other times it is better to ignore them. ;)

Doc Stier
09-16-2007, 06:25 AM
Daniel:

I also think that you're doing well, and want you to know that I have no issues with you whatsoever. :)

Doc

Doc Stier
09-16-2007, 07:16 AM
Scott:

Your comments to me come across as insufferably arrogant and rude, while insisting all the while that you are driven solely by altruistic motivations to help others. What a hoot! :D You're not helping me, in case this fact escaped you. I really don't care if you dislike me, disagree with me, or what your personal opinion of me is. I honor your right to whatever opinions you may choose to embrace. Nonetheless, I would greatly appreciate it if you would kindly cease and desist from your flawed, ego obstructed psychoanalysis of my personal character. It makes you look petty and vindictive, IMO.

News Flash, Scott! Your opinion is not Universal Truth for us all, but only your opinion, clearly based on your personal value judgements and your personal discriminations, which are obviously very biased. As such, your self-assumed 'authority' in using the word 'we' in your lecture style posts is misdirected, since your opinions do not represent those of everyone reading and posting here, but only represent your own egoistic thinking. I can tell that you are used to telling others how it is and what to do, always needing to be 'right' in every situation, and always needing to have the final say on every issue. Such tendencies are usually an attempt to conceal deep seated insecurities. This is further validated by the fact that you are clearly not at all comfortable with receiving similar input from others, especially when their opinions differ from yours. Thus, your style of communication merely makes you appear overbearing and obnoxious, IMO.

Example, you told me previously, didn't ask me, to stop responding to your comments if I didn't like what you were saying to me, which I did, but then you continue to perpetuate an adversarial interaction by making further rude and insulting comments. :eek: WTF, man! Give it a rest. Time out! Do you actually believe that by continuing to verbally assault me in this manner that I will eventually just roll over and accept your biased assessment of me as truth? Not likely, Bubba. :rolleyes:

So, do us all a great favor by posting on the topics at hand, and leave the personal attacks out, OK? Let us simply agree that we disagree, and let this be the last personal, off-topic exchange in all threads that we both post replies on. Think you can do that, I'm betting that you can't, or will it be necessary for you to have the final word on this issue as well?

Doc

Doc Stier
09-16-2007, 03:44 PM
".... is everything just a simple state of mind?"

Getting back on topic, in response to tai chi hermit's initial question quoted above, the following edited excerpts from Thought Power by Sri Swami Sivananda seem to be relevant and insightful.

"When a thought, whether good or evil, crosses the mind of a person, it gives rise to vibrations in the mental atmosphere, which travel far and wide in all directions. You are surrounded by an ocean of thought. You are floating in the ocean of thought. You are absorbing certain thoughts and repelling some in the thought-world. Everyone has his own thought-world.

Thoughts are living things. A thought is as much solid as a piece of stone. We may cease to be, but our thoughts can never die. Every change in thought is accompanied by vibration of its mental matter. The stronger the thoughts, the earlier the fructification. When thought is focused and given a particular direction, and in the degree that thought is thus focussed and given direction, it is effective in the work it is sent out to accomplish.

Thought has tremendous power. Thought can heal diseases. Thoughts can transform
the mentality of persons. Thought can do anything. It can work wonders. The velocity of thought is unimaginable.

Thought is a dynamic force. It is caused by the vibrations of psychic energy on the mental substance. It is a force like gravitation, cohesion or repulsion. Thought travels and moves.

What is this world, after all? It is nothing but the materialization of the thought-forms. Everybody is experiencing the power of thought unconsciously to a greater or lesser degree.

Scott R. Brown
09-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi Doc,

Your comments to me come across as insufferably arrogant and rude, while insisting all the while that you are driven solely by altruistic motivations to help others.

I have pointed out to you your rude behavior towards others and patiently tolerated your rude behavior towards me. It is not arrogant to defend those who were not rude to you when you attacked them without provocation. It is not arrogant to point out that you are guilty of the very behaviors you accuse of others. I have been patient with YOUR “insufferable” behavior. When both Daniel and Chris so thoughtfully apologized to you, you responded with more derisive comments. You need to grow up and change your attitude.

You are the arrogant one to come onto a BB where you have no established rapport with anyone and begin to deride and ridicule others in an unjustifiable manner. Please name for me any other social environment where your form of conduct is approved. Go play golf with three other men you do not know and treat them in a derisive manner and see what kind of response you receive. Try it with a bowling four-some or better yet go to a MA school and start ridiculing the participants you know nothing about. What response do you suppose you would receive?

The arrogance is yours when you believe you can come into a social group you know nothing about and behave derisively to those who are established members of the group without receiving any negative consequences.

I am straight and to the point now because your foolishness and arrogance will not allow you to understand kind and gentle admonitions. You are reaping the consequences of your own childish behavior.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would kindly cease and desist from your flawed, ego obstructed psychoanalysis of my personal character. It makes you look petty and vindictive, IMO.

I am not trying to help you! I am protecting the social environment from you, a bully who thinks he can storm into an established social group and be derisive to well-known and well-liked members. I am unconcerned with whether I look vindictive of not. Children require negative consequences or their inappropriate behavior tends to continue. You are acting like a child so I am treating you like the child you are. The fact is you will not be allowed to be rude to those you do not know without consequences. I am happy to take that responsibility for others if they are not inclined to do so for themselves.

If you would like me to desist then grow up and act like an adult. I gave you the chance to let it go by responding to your questions on this thread in an appropriate and detailed manner regardless of your rude undertone. The rudeness of your responses has indicated that you wish you continue and not let it go. So you are reaping what you sowed.

News Flash, Scott! Your opinion is not Universal Truth for us all, but only your opinion, clearly based on your personal value judgements and your personal discriminations, which are obviously very biased. As such, your self-assumed 'authority' in using the word 'we' in your lecture style posts is misdirected, since your opinions do not represent those of everyone reading and posting here, but only represent your own egoistic thinking. I can tell that you are used to telling others how it is and what to do, always needing to be 'right' in every situation, and always needing to have the final say on every issue. Such tendencies are usually an attempt to conceal deep seated insecurities. This is further validated by the fact that you are clearly not at all comfortable with receiving similar input from others, especially when their opinions differ from yours. Thus, your style of communication merely makes you appear overbearing and obnoxious, IMO.

LOL!! Nice try Doc! I have been here for about 6 years. I have an established rapport with the other long standing members. They know me and understand my personal style. You know very little about me other than you know I will not allow your childish behavior to go unanswered. I do not need to qualify my comments to those who know me. They understand me and I understand them because we have known each other for years. We have had the opportunity to qualify ourselves to each other over many years of conversations. We have established relationships. We accept each others comments and perspectives based upon mutual understanding and respect that has grown over time. We understand inherently that each persons perspective is unique and to be respected accordingly because we have established rapport. You do not, so your comments continue to demonstrate your inept social ability.

How long have you been here???

3 days, and you have already managed to be rude to 4 or 5 people. What school did you attend or whose master's knees did you learn at that taught you to earn respect in the manner you are using?

You have no established rapport with anyone here and your opinions of me are meaningless. I am reflecting to you your own ego-centric personality and you do not like it. If you do not like it then begin with yourself and let me worry about me.

Well then, why am I worried about you, you may ask? Because you have attacked some and behaved derisively towards others with no reasonable cause. These individuals are people I know and respect. When others have attempted to apologize you follow up with more derisive comments.

The problem is yours Doc. You are socially inept. You are childish and immature and have a serious lack of understanding of social etiquette.

Example, you told me previously, didn't ask me, to stop responding to your comments if I didn't like what you were saying to me, which I did, but then you continue to perpetuate an adversarial interaction by making further rude and insulting comments. :eek: WTF, man! Give it a rest. Time out! Do you actually believe that by continuing to verbally assault me in this manner that I will eventually just roll over and accept your biased assessment of me as truth? Not likely, Bubba. :rolleyes:

Nice try again Doc! You did respond to my comments in your now typical derisive manner. Your response was clearly rife with an undertone of derision. You got what you asked for. If you do not like it tough; Grow up and act like an adult then!

So, do us all a great favor by posting on the topics at hand, and leave the personal attacks out, OK? Let us simply agree that we disagree, and let this be the last personal, off-topic exchange in all threads that we both post replies on. Think you can do that, I'm betting that you can't, or will it be necessary for you to have the final word on this issue as well?

Once again nice try! I gave you the opportunity to let it go when I replied to your questions in a thoughtful and reasonable manner and you chose to respond with more derision. I gave you the chance when you asked Chris to keep on topic on your other thread. I responded by posting my response to him on a new thread. Once again your reply following Chris's was derisive.

The problem Doc is you! You continually choose to behave in a childish manner even when others give you the opportunity to act like an adult. It is your own choices that create the responses you are receiving.

If you wish to let it go then why didn’t you take the opportunities when they were provided you? Could it be because of you own ego-centric preoccupation? I think so.

If you truly wish to let it go, then demonstrate it now. This is your chance to display some adult behavior. I tried to give you the opportunity, but you didn’t respond with maturity. Try responding with maturity now and you will get what you want. If that is REALLY what you want.

If you do not want to be treated with the derision you treat others with then treat others with more courtesy and you will receive courtesy in return.

Scott R. Brown
09-16-2007, 09:04 PM
HI Doc,

Thank you for proving my points so well!;)

Scott R. Brown
09-16-2007, 09:06 PM
I'll continue to post where an when I like as I am so inclined.

If you don't like it feel free to go somewhere else to boost your inferiority complex!

Doc Stier
09-16-2007, 09:11 PM
HA! HA! HA! I knew you couldn't do it! You just can't resist keeping it going, can you? You need to always have the final word, right? Makes you feel powerful and in control, doesn't it? Well....nice try, boy, but no cigar once again!

Save your aggressive macho bravado for whomever it is that you bully back home. To me it's nothing more than totally pathetic entertainment....the Mighty Scott, self-appointed defender of the weak and defenseless. What a hoot! Talk about delusions of grandeur....sheeesh! In all likelihood, that's not anyone posting on these threads. The weak and defenseless folks are the peeps silently lurking in the background, afraid to post anything on any thread for fear that some jerk like you will criticize and berate them for not agreeing with you. Get a grip, man.

I am duly advised as to how you feel about me, but I think that I can live with that. I'm very certain that I can get along just fine without your esteemed approval. I don't know you well enough to invest so much time and effort into negative interaction with you, and I don't want to know you that well. However, since you feel so strongly about all of this, I'll concede to making an effort to stay out of your way, and won't reply to any of your posts on any topic. I ask you to do the same for me. Fair enough? It's time to bury the hatchet and move on, Scott. OK?

Doc

Scott R. Brown
09-16-2007, 09:19 PM
HI Doc,

Thank you for proving my points so well!;)

I'll continue to post where an when I like as I am so inclined.

If you don't like it feel free to go somewhere else to boost your inferiority complex!

Instead of erasing your inappropriate posts, or re-ordering them how about simply acknowledging your errors and apologizing to those you were rude too.

Doc Stier
09-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Oh, c'mon, Scott. You know that I could never prove anything to you, because you already know it all, and only see and hear what you're looking for. But that's OK. I'll add you to my prayer list.

Please be advised that I will continue to post on this forum when and where I choose to. If you don't like that, please feel free to go elsewhere with your poorly attempted intimidation tactics. I'm beginning to feel kinda sorry for you. ;)

Doc

Scott R. Brown
09-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Hi Doc,

Nice job at taking the high road and letting it go! I am pretty sure that is what you said you wanted. Or do you plan to erase that post too without apology? Yet another opportunity to demonstrate you want to move along wasted by your ego.

Of course I knew all along you wouldn't let it go. It was all empty posturing as I anticipated. You do not fool me and you are not fooling anyone else.

Once again you were given the opportunity to act like an adult and yet you continue to respond as a child.

I welcome your posts. It isn't your posts I have a problem with. I have not been critical of any of your strictly informative posts, yet anyway!;)

So feel free to post all you want. Just understand there will continue to be consequences when your rude conduct is unjustifiable.

Doc Stier
09-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Whatever, man! :rolleyes:

Scott R. Brown
09-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Good Job Doc!!!!

Now we are getting somewhere.

Doc Stier
09-23-2007, 06:46 AM
Just a State of Mind

http://www.uxmatters.com/MT/archives/images/15s06_kairos_state-of-mind.JPG

http://www.totalmind.com/images/newimages/Total_mind_whsle.jpg

Doc ;)

GeneChing
08-28-2015, 08:09 AM
Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for THE MIND INSIDE TAI CHI: SUSTAINING A JOYFUL HEART by Henry Zhang (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/sweepstakes-mind-tai-chi-joyful-heart.php) (Contest ends 5:30 p.m. PST on 9/10/15)

GeneChing
09-16-2015, 11:52 AM
See our WINNERS-THE-MIND-INSIDE-TAI-CHI-SUSTAINING-A-JOYFUL-HEART-by-Henry-Zhang (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68935-WINNERS-THE-MIND-INSIDE-TAI-CHI-SUSTAINING-A-JOYFUL-HEART-by-Henry-Zhang) thread.