PDA

View Full Version : I need a new punch bag, advice?

william
09-17-2007, 05:07 AM
I was after some advice:

I am looking to purchase a heavy bag of some form. Here’s the deal. Due to my flat/landlord restrictions I can’t put wall brackets to hang a bag from. So I have two options, The first being I hang a normal bag from my chin up bar. Benefits of this are that it is cheap, and I can also use the bag on the ground MMA training etc. Cons are that you can’t round kick it, due to the door way, also have to be careful with hooks, but it does teach you to keep you punching tight (did it like this in my old place, bag has since broken hence getting a new one) Option 2 is that I get a freestanding bag, the type with water in the bottom. Benefits here are full 360’ range. Cons are expense, these things tend to be expensive, also can’t pound it on the floor. Has anyone got experience of freestanding bags? Any good? Or do they just fall over all the time?

I am undecided, and would appreciate any advice/comments?

w

MasterKiller
09-17-2007, 06:05 AM
Freestanding bags just fall over all the time. You could back it against a wall, but for the most part I don't like them.

maxattck
09-17-2007, 07:47 AM
You can try this for your flat, works great. The bag has some give to it with the spring, but you can practice your timing with it.

http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=24721

TenTigers
09-17-2007, 10:23 PM
century martial arts makes a free standing bag-in my opinion, and experience, the only one worth buying is the xxl
http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&categoryid=bf98fb84-4266-4051-8b86-8a05fab1c44a&subcategoryid=65b4a054-a38a-4cc1-b617-4430ad8613ff&itemguid=bc2eb342-1510-4d29-bfbc-a329e2068266

but I really don't care for them. But if that's all you can get, you make do with what you got. Yuo can also get a regular heavybag, and hang it from a tree. I know guys who put them in their car and drive to the park and hang them from a tree, or from the jungle gym, or swings. Once you figure out where, you buy some chain from home depot and a carabiner (snap link) also at Home Depot, and you're good to go. The kids are all at school, so the days are free, early mornings,after work, the kids are at home, or late at night. Eventually the neighbors and local LEOs get used to your presence.

TenTigers
09-17-2007, 10:25 PM
oh, BTW-don't buy one of those water filled heavybags and kleave it outside. I have a friend who did that and when winter came, it froze.:(