PDA

View Full Version : survival/self defense guides

doug maverick
09-17-2007, 07:17 PM
i've never posted on this section of the site mainly because i had know reason too. but a thought occured in my head when i friend of mine asked me my opinion on this street fighting survival fighting guide he brought after i read i had to give my honest opinion and that was it was at 70% bullsh!t(excuse my language) and i could only speak from my experience growing up in the south bronx. that it is **** near impossible to right a guide on how to accurately defend one self on the street in this day age. there are way to many variables and factors i'm not saying a capable fighter couldn't do it certainly. but to right a guide about it come on. case in point i remember as a kid(and this is a true but funny as hell story, at least i was laughing anyway) these two guys are fighting onbe was really big and the other was little and the little guy was getting his ass kicked in front of his kids and girlfriend or wife. next thing you know the wife comes at the big guy with a butcher knife that she must have pulled out of thin air and stabbed the guy right in his side. now tell me can a guide prepare you for that would you even see that coming(i know above i said it was funny to me, he man i was 13 and the way i looked at it it was funny, cause who the hell carries a butcher knife in the street like that) another time i saw this guy chasing this other guy with a chain saw any defense techinques for that. anyway i'm just writing this cause i was a bit fustrated cause if people start following that advice and not developing there own self defense techinques then their doomed. anyway just speaking my mind. thank you and sorry that you had to read my rant.

bodhitree
09-18-2007, 04:03 AM
If you look in the sticky thread here there are some pretty good links. Self defense should not be about fighting, but rather recognising and avoiding, and if need be removing yourself from threatening situations. Self defense is much more a psychological discipline rather than a physical one. The best way is always to avoid conflict.

doug maverick
09-18-2007, 05:53 AM
thats exactly how i feel.

ShaolinWood
10-02-2007, 05:47 AM
If you look in the sticky thread here there are some pretty good links. Self defense should not be about fighting, but rather recognising and avoiding, and if need be removing yourself from threatening situations. Self defense is much more a psychological discipline rather than a physical one. The best way is always to avoid conflict.

Well said bodhitree, this is what most people miss in the martial arts. They're so obsessed about what style is better than what and the best moves and junk like that.

Martial arts is a way of life, and the benefits is obvious. You won't be able to fight a guy swinging a chainsaw or a robber with a gun, but your chances is better to avoid it or even to get out of the situation simply by staying calm and reacting quicker.