PDA

View Full Version : Sifu Charles Wins title at Total Fight Challenge

shaolinassassin
09-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Hello all,

Just wanted to let you guys know that on Sept 15, I defeated Joe 'the Triangular Strangular' Pearson for the Total Fight Challenge 145lb title in Hammond, IN. I won in the second round via triangle choke of all things!

Joe Pearson is a Pridefc and WEC veteran and has faced some very tough competition. We had an idea of what to expect from him. We knew that he was waiting for kicks and so we switched up a little bit and our game plan worked out well. The win was very exciting and I was happy to have a lot of my beginner students show up and see kung fu compete and win in MMA.

I know there were some threads on here about Traditional Kung Fu in MMA and also about the need for crosstraining. I want to let you all know that I personally feel that TCMA can do well in MMA For this fight, like all of my fights, I trained primarily the same way. I still practiced my forms. I still sparred with my foot pads and headgear from point karate. I still grappled with my Novice Black sash and my Brown sashes for practice. The only difference in training for this fight is that i actually started doing road work to improve my conditioning and a lot of pushups and ab work to improve my stength. Other than that, I trained the same way I always trained and did what my Sifu's taught me.

As far as the ground game goes, my philosophy is to not grapple or do jujitsu. If i go to the ground, i want to strike and stand up or just stand up. Of course i know some of the submissions out there and how to apply them just like i know alot of the chin na locks and how to apply them as well. Just like with standup, i try to keep moving, outthink my opponent and strike when the opening presents itself. If he's a better kicker, i punch. If he's stronger I stay away. If he's good on the ground, i keep him busy and i keep him moving.

I run a school full time so I still have to teach my kids classes, weeapons classes and whatever else. My fight preparation is part time but still effective in my opinion. That's because my training, whether its for MMA, point karate, TKD or Kickboxing, is on going. I am always teaching or showing techniques or doing forms. There is no down time.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know the results of the fight. I hope to get a copy and put it up on youtube for all to see. I do believe there was another fighter there that was either TCM or JKD. He also won so the two of us came away with wins. Let me know what you guys/gals think.

Sifu Charles

PS - we took some pics with the Pit Bull Andrei Arlovski and Jason Chambers - the host of 'The Human Weapon. He was the guest referee. I'll post them here or on our website - www.superkickskungfu.com

Anthony_ATT
09-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Congratulations on your win!

This is what MMA is all about, MMA is comprised of TMA styles.

Who would have thunk it, a Kung Fu Sifu winning by Triangle Choke! That's great! :)

bodhitree
09-18-2007, 04:05 AM
congrats! any vid to post?

sanjuro_ronin
09-18-2007, 04:09 AM
Great work and congrats !

TenTigers
09-18-2007, 05:31 AM
Hooray for our side! (does the 'I told ya so' dance)
Congrats!

MasterKiller
09-18-2007, 06:09 AM
Sweet. :cool:

TaichiMantis
09-18-2007, 06:17 AM
Nice job! It seems you have found a balanced approach to life and sport.;)

Royal Dragon
09-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Sifu Charles. Where are you teaching?

Are you at Johnny Tsai's school, or do you have your own?

BruceSteveRoy
09-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Congratulations!!! Do you plan on competing further in the MMA venue or was this kind of a one time thing?

TaichiMantis
09-18-2007, 09:45 AM
RD: he's at Superkicks (http://www.superkickskungfu.com/about/staff.htm)...but I think Sifu Johnny is planning to reopen his school and I don't know who he has lined up to teach there.

BSR: Sifu Charles has fought in MMA events before, I'm sure there will be more. :cool:

Royal Dragon
09-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the link. I was actually thinking of checking that school out some time ago as I passed while near there on business reacently.

Question, is Master Gia Wilson, Gia Spencer? As in Dino Spencers sister?

If so, my abbs STILL hurt from her conditioning back in like 1993!! :D

MasterKiller
09-18-2007, 12:26 PM
You guys made up your own ground system: Tsai Gou Chuan?

sanjuro_ronin
09-18-2007, 12:28 PM
You guys made up your own ground system: Tsai Gou Chuan?

Doesn't everyone now a days?

BruceSteveRoy
09-18-2007, 02:02 PM
isnt gou quan (chuan) dog boxing?

Mr Punch
09-18-2007, 09:27 PM
As far as the ground game goes, my philosophy is to not grapple or do jujitsu. If i go to the ground, i want to strike and stand up or just stand up. Of course i know some of the submissions out there and how to apply them just like i know alot of the chin na locks and how to apply them as well. Just like with standup, i try to keep moving, outthink my opponent and strike when the opening presents itself. If he's a better kicker, i punch. If he's stronger I stay away. If he's good on the ground, i keep him busy and i keep him moving. Good work, congrats on the win.

Your philosophy is not to grapple or do jujutsu, yet submitted him with a triangle? Did you learn that triangle in your TCMA, or was that one from your BJJ? If it's the latter, could you explain how you put this down as a TCMA win?

Not being funny, just interested.

Cheers.

shaolinassassin
09-18-2007, 09:46 PM
bodhitree - We are working on getting the vid. as soon as i do, i will post it on youtube.

Royal Dragon - I teach at Super kicks out in Plainfield. Sifu Johnny just opened his school in Evergreen Park a few weeks ago. And yes, Master Gia is Gia Spencer (now Gia Wilson). I feel your pain as she had me doing 5/5 minute rounds five days before my fight and running the day before. She is definitely tough!!

BruceSteveRoy - I will be fighting again in the future. I am also training some of my students to compete as well.

MasterKiller - We call our ground fighting Tsai Gou Chuan because we feel it is encompasses a lot. Most of the traditional ground deals with disabling strikes that can't be used in combat sports. A lot of the takedowns are applied by 'illegal' strikes as well.

Mr Punch - I appreciate the question. Once i get the video up i think you will see what i'm talking about. For much of the the ground fight, i defended his sub attempts and countered with punches from the top. I didn't go for basic submissions even though i know them and i had a few opportunities. He's a strong grappler and I didn;t want to play his game.

When he wound up on top, my leg was in perfect position to throw on top and finish him off. Of course I know what a triangle choke is. I study other arts to be able to do what they do and defend what the do and counter what they do. Again, that is what lets us compete in point, TKD, sub grappling and kickboxing. My Brown Sash Leo Perez, won his last fight (for the ammatuer title), with a heel hook. This happened after he knocked the guy down with a reverse punch.

Hopefully, I will have the vid up by the weekend.

Royal Dragon
09-19-2007, 07:54 AM
We call our ground fighting Tsai Gou Chuan because we feel it is encompasses a lot. Most of the traditional ground deals with disabling strikes that can't be used in combat sports. A lot of the takedowns are applied by 'illegal' strikes as well.

Reply]
Can you elaborate on the history of this system? I am assuming Master Tsai developed it?

Johnny Tsai
09-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Good work, congrats on the win.

Your philosophy is not to grapple or do jujutsu, yet submitted him with a triangle? Did you learn that triangle in your TCMA, or was that one from your BJJ? If it's the latter, could you explain how you put this down as a TCMA win?

Not being funny, just interested.

Cheers.

Congrats to Sifu Charles. FYI, he and one of my Full contact Kickboxers who also holds a national title will appear with me on the cover of the next Art of the warrior magazine. the article will be on how our Schools trains CMA to be not only street effective but also proven ring effective. We will be shooting the photo's on the 30th.

As far as how this would be considered a win for TCMA. Sifu Charles merely "finished him" with a triangle, but he beat him sooooo very bad all the way up to the finish with his kung fu balance, reflexes, speed,coordination, timing and hand strikes and lighting fast kicks, leaving his opponent with two swollen eyes and battered face. sounds like a pretty good beating to me, then he tapped him out on top of it.

Truly a win for a Kung Fu fighter.

All the best,

Waysun Johnny Tsai

www.tsaiskungfu.net

Shaolin Wookie
09-22-2007, 06:51 AM
I suppose the important question is: "Did you look cool while you were doing it?"

If so, sweet.

couch
09-22-2007, 02:01 PM
I suppose the important question is: "Did you look cool while you were doing it?"

If so, sweet.

THIS is what makes a kung-fu fighter a kung-fu fighter.

Hau Tien
09-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Congrats on the win!

I'm taking my first steps into the cage, myself, come November 3rd for King of the Cage Canada. I, too, am primarily a TMA striker (Xing Yi and San Da), but have done some cross training in wrestling to prepare me for grappling. Like you, I know basic submissions, but generally use my wrestling to put me in a position to ground and pound (I actually prefer it from the guard, rather than mount).

Good to see some TMA representation in MMA :)