PDA

View Full Version : How to defeat Wing Chun; it's so easy!

Lugoman
09-19-2007, 06:20 AM
Well, according to this e-article by that marketting mad man who's only been bested at peddling his wares, and pugging his products within his products by Matt Furey, I give you... Keith Pascal.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Wing-Chun-Opponents----Strategies-to-Defeat-Them&id=735011

"Don't Play the Attacker's Game!"
We hear this all the time -- now. I remember when only a few people, like Steve Golden (original Bruce Lee and Ed Parker student), were offering this sound piece of advice.

As I said, nowadays we hear it all of the time. So, why do so few of us follow this sagely suggestion?

Because it takes work -- you have to practice defeating other styles, while avoiding their pet techniques.

If you think about it, this isn't as hard as it sounds, especially when you go against someone who is bound to his (or her) system -- more on this in a minute.

Tips for taking on a wing chun artist:

1) Inside-Outside Hands
Many of the novice to intermediate 'wing chunners' don't like being on the inside (between the opponent's arms) with their hands. And even some of the more advanced artists work their hands automatically to an outside position (back of your right wrist touches back of opponent's right wrist, for example).

Once your opponent makes contact with you, don't be surprised if he uses the other hand as a check with the first hand, to get a 'better' (in his opinion) position.

This a great opportunity for you to surprise your opponent.

Catch the wing chun artist as he (or she) makes a change. especially if the practitioner breaks contact and leaves an opening to the body.

2) Beat On the Hands and Arms
Long ago, Dan Inosanto used to come to Eugene to give seminars.

At his first seminar, he told me/us "you wouldn't be afraid to fight Mohammed Ali, if he didn't have any hands, feet, arms, or legs, right?"

His tactic was to beat on anything that invaded your "personal body bubble." If a punch came in, you pounded the punch itself with a solid phoenix eye (knuckle strike).

A side kick racing at you was the perfect excuse to take out your opponent's shin with another phoenix eye.

Imagine using this against a 'wing chunner.' A wing chun artist loves contact -- his or her wrists touching yours.

Why don't you make your opponent 'gun shy,' so to speak. Start striking hands, forearms, and wrists. Make your attacker afraid, or at least hesitant, to reach in for contact.

3) And speaking of Wrists ...
On more than one occasion, I have heard wing chun practitioners say, "We don't do wrist locks in our style."

Perfect !

Remember, at the beginning of the article, I talked about folks being "bound to their system?"

Well, there you go. This is "the" example of a system with blinders on.

Note: Even though this article discusses methods for defeating certain wing chun practitioners, I am not implying that Wing Chun is a bad system. In fact, it is one of my favorites -- something I practice daily. Keep in mind that all systems have weaknesses. We are exploring strategy, not condemning a style.

Just because most wing chun artists don't use wrist and joint locks, doesn't mean we can't 'practice some of our locks on them." [Smile]

Which wrist locks work best?
Glad you asked.

If you ever find yourself 'rolling' with a wing chun artist in chi sao (sticky hands), don't play the wing chunner's game.

On the hand that is rotating, try either the Basic Lock when you see the hand open up (tan sao), or try a Double Ninety (see 'Wrist Locks: Fromt Protecting Yourself to Becoming an Expert') if you see the rotating hand go into a bent-arm position (bong sao).

If you are new to chi sao, my advice would be to avoid locking the fook sao hand. Your opponent's wrist rests on top of yours.

This hand just tracks.

As a beginner, you probably won't be able to effect a lock before the hand finds an opening to your body.

Stick with the rotating hand.

And remember, don't play the other guy's game.

Conclusion
Of course, there are other tactics to use on wing chun artists.

I want your radar to turn on, any time someone says, "We don't do that in our style."

The very technique that they don't do, could be the perfect move to use on them. At least it's worth further examination.

Does it ever end? :rolleyes:

sanjuro_ronin
09-19-2007, 06:23 AM
What, no chi bast?
No spitting chewing tabaco in the eyes ??

Bah !!!

YungChun
09-19-2007, 06:31 AM
A side kick racing at you was the perfect excuse to take out your opponent's shin with another phoenix eye.

Shin vs knuckle..

Just brilliant stuff..

Why didn't I think of this.. Doh!!!

Lugoman
09-19-2007, 06:48 AM
If you ever find yourself 'rolling' with a wing chun artist in chi sao (sticky hands), don't play the wing chunner's game.

I'm trying to figure out the context of this article. If you are not a "wing chun artist" under what circumstances would you find yourself "rolling" with one?

Maybe Mr. Pascal believes that chi sau is used in real fighting?

YungChun
09-19-2007, 06:58 AM
Maybe Mr. Pascal believes that chi sau is used in real fighting?
And even by non WCK people.. I think the context of this article is ACID.. :)

Vajramusti
09-19-2007, 07:56 AM
They abound so do sterotypes and generalizations about wing chum.. Those who dont do wing chun have the worst ones, imo.

joy chaudhuri

sanjuro_ronin
09-19-2007, 08:01 AM
The advice, which is basically "fight your fight not your opponents", is sound, even if the details are, at best, oversimplified.

Ultimatewingchun
09-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Actually, that article cracked me up. :D

The guy who wrote it is a retard - and clearly, whoever the wing chun guy is he sparred with is also a retard.

But yeah, Jim, the phoenix eye knuckle vs. the shin was a classic. I can't wait to try it. :eek: :rolleyes: :p

AmanuJRY
09-19-2007, 08:11 AM
I have no Idea who Keith Pascal or Matt Furey are...

but, from reading the posted article and following criticizms, I note two things;

first, he claims the pheonix eye to the shin, fist, etc., was Dan Innosanto's concept.

second, he claims to practice WC daily.

So, is anyone else aware that he only addressed how to defeat WC'ers who limit themselves with radical belief.;)

sanjuro_ronin
09-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Obviously it was a typo, against a side kick one must direct the PE fist to the center of the foot, Kidney 1, and that will cause violent spasms and explosive diarrhea.

Ultimatewingchun
09-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Explosive diarrhea !!!

Ha! Ha! Ha!

That was a good one. :D

Oh, and btw...the last I heard Matt Furey was still chasing the ghost of Farmer Burns.

It seems the Farmer bounced the $1,000.00 check Matty was charging for the 30 minute vid of material that can be found in the local public library.

Lugoman
09-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Obviously it was a typo, against a side kick one must direct the PE fist to the center of the foot, Kidney 1, and that will cause violent spasms and explosive diarrhea.

LOL!

Yeah, but that doesn't work if the kicker's tongue is touching the roof of his mouth.

AmanuJRY
09-19-2007, 08:39 AM
LOL!

Yeah, but that doesn't work if the kicker's tongue is touching the roof of his mouth.

...and crosses the toes of his other foot.;)

sanjuro_ronin
09-19-2007, 08:43 AM
LOL!

Minor details, obviously you don't have the real anti-_ing _un !

bodhitree
09-19-2007, 11:35 AM
fling dung ?

sanjuro_ronin
09-19-2007, 11:39 AM
fling dung ?

What is it with people giving out ancient secrets on the net ?!?!!
:mad:

Vajramusti
09-19-2007, 01:07 PM
he possibly meant fling flan. There, its fixed!

joy chaudhuri

jet64
09-19-2007, 10:20 PM
The best way to defeat wingchun is not to stand in front of them at punching distance. They wont be able to do their arm manuever or routine if you keep on moving (play the distance, combination of stances advancing and retreating using different directions to try to catch them in awkward position)

I hope the reader of my post try to understand this before making another ridiculous reply.

Chosen-frozen
09-19-2007, 11:15 PM

......EEEeeewwwww.

sunfist
09-19-2007, 11:35 PM
No, you dont understand, mister Pascal has extensive real world experience... as a high school teacher!

(I kid you not, he refers to this extensively in his newsletter, regaling us with tales of how bad ass he is breaking up fights in the cafeteria)

www.kerwinbenson.com

unkokusai
09-19-2007, 11:43 PM
Did his ass go bad from all the explosive diarrhea?

sunfist
09-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Possibly. Though Im sure he has methods by which he targets that diarrhea, enabling him to spray multiple opponents with relative ease.

Dont forget to check out his wonderful range of ebooks for sale, such as '10 days to better knife fighting'.

bodhitree
09-20-2007, 04:28 AM
obviously the best way to beat a chunner is to bring up lineage and spelling then they'll have to fight the other chunners thus leaving you unharmed

AmanuJRY
09-20-2007, 07:00 AM
obviously the best way to beat a chunner is to bring up lineage and spelling then they'll have to fight the other chunners thus leaving you unharmed

Voted - "Best strategy so far":D