PDA

View Full Version : Are NAGA tournaments really worth $80 to compete in?

Oso
09-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Just got the announcement for the GA event in November...thinking about it...especially since I'm now a 'Director' at 40. :p

but, money is way tight and we are supposed to be going to kung fu event the weekend after.

1bad65
09-19-2007, 02:51 PM
There will be some good guys there to compete against. I would be hesitant to pay $80 though, unless it's a double-elimination tournament. It's possible you might pay the money and get tapped in 10 seconds, no offense, but it does happen and you said money is tight.

bodhitree
09-19-2007, 03:58 PM
It's possible you might pay the money and get tapped in 10 seconds

It happened to me, I only payed 50$ and I was angry

Anthony_ATT
09-19-2007, 04:12 PM
You should have more than 1 person to compete against, there's 3 top places for crying out loud! :)

If money is there, go for it. :)

RonH
09-19-2007, 05:27 PM
It's too much money.

Oso
09-19-2007, 05:46 PM
i would be worried about not getting too many matches in the 40+ division.

I know, I could enter the 30+ division or open or all of them if they allow that to get as many matches for the money but i'm ok with the 40+ thing since I'm not really in that great a shape at the moment.

the brochure doesn't say 'double elimination' per se but does say that since they award 3rd you may be called back in to fight again even if you lost...so I guess the top three places have to be decided by double wins/double losses????

oh, if I tap in the first 10 seconds then obviously the other dude was better...no biggie...silly to be angry because you aren't better than someone else.

RonH: have you competed in a NAGA event and been dissatisfied? I figure they would pretty much have their act together. I hate going to an event and the organization is crappy. There are the usual things to expect at a tournament...'hurry up and wait' is certainly one of them but I don't like to see really poor organization.

Merryprankster
09-19-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm going to guess RonH has never been to a NAGA tournament, but maybe I'm wrong.

What are my thoughts?

Well, grappling tournaments in general are too expensive, and they always run late. NAGA tournaments tend to be pretty good, and their format encourages submission attempts and rewards aggression. They are usually reasonably organized.

I believe that at NAGA tournaments you can enter your division, the adult division and the gi division. If you place in your division you can also enter the one above you.

I've had as many as 10 matches in one day and as few as 1. As you go up in experience and weight, the number of opponents tends to drop. Most people come in around 150-175 or so.

So, the decision is really up to you, but seeing as you should be able to enter three divisions up front with the potential for more, you have the potential to get decent value.

1bad65
09-19-2007, 06:17 PM
You may be able to compete in a younger bracket. I've never done a NAGA event, but I'm 35 and I always just enter the men's division.

I said the 10 second thing only because you were concerned about money. I meant that if you only get 10 secs or so for $80 bucks you could have spent the money better is all.

bodhitree
09-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Grappling tournaments can be a great learning experience, but if you only have one match and lose ( like I did one time) you'll be ****ed, mostly at yourself.

They are fun but always run late and if you're only doing no gi you'll be waiting all day!

Merryprankster
09-19-2007, 06:46 PM
At NAGA, no gi is usually first.

rogue
09-19-2007, 07:29 PM
You may be able to compete in a younger bracket. I've never done a NAGA event, but I'm 35 and I always just enter the men's division.

I said the 10 second thing only because you were concerned about money. I meant that if you only get 10 secs or so for $80 bucks you could have spent the money better is all.

Hookers, strippers, good Scotch.

Shaolinlueb
09-19-2007, 08:07 PM
support naga.

naga tournaments are big because of www.nationallyranked.com. moving to a new server for faster service ;).

seriously if you do grappling, you should support NAGA. they are the biggest grappling circuit in america. plus i know the owner he is a cool guy and lives grappling. he does a lot of it for the sport and has helped grow the grappling tournament circuit.

1bad65
09-19-2007, 08:55 PM
They are fun but always run late and if you're only doing no gi you'll be waiting all day!

They run on 'Brazilian Time'.

RonH
09-20-2007, 07:35 AM
RonH: have you competed in a NAGA event and been dissatisfied? I figure they would pretty much have their act together. I hate going to an event and the organization is crappy. There are the usual things to expect at a tournament...'hurry up and wait' is certainly one of them but I don't like to see really poor organization.

I've never been to the Newfoundland Alberta Golf Association. :p

I've never competed in NAGA. The only kind of tournament (used extremely loosely) I've ever been in was this completely no rules type of fighting when I was younger. There were no prizes, no trophies or awards or belts. All that was recorded was how many you lost and how you lost. Martial arts/fighting tournaments are another story on just my presence at them. If you're competing, 80 is too much. 50 would be the max I'd go, but only in the most extrme circumstances. It's been my experence that people that charge larger fees are more into the money than the fight. They try to pack as many butts into the seats (sometimes, butts in the isles in the areas around the seats) as they can with a minimum of fights. Supe up the charge for the fighters, make it seem like it's exclusive and tough to get in and compete in and they hope people are enough of a sucker to fight.

That being said, if you feel just the desire to do it and you've got the time and the money, splurge on yourself.

Becca
09-20-2007, 12:06 PM
NAGA sucks; they almost never come further west than Ohio, and if they do, it's to Vegas.:mad::p

I wish they did, though. From what I've heard, its one of the best turnies to get your feet wet in regaurdless of age or skill level. I have absolutly no interest in competing in kick boxing, not the stuff around here anyway. But I admit I am curiouse how I'd do in mma or grappling. I really need to find the time to go up to that place KF told me about...

Shaolinlueb
09-20-2007, 12:10 PM
NAGA sucks; they almost never come further west than Ohio, and if they do, it's to Vegas.:mad::p

I wish they did, though. From what I've heard, its one of the best turnies to get your feet wet in regaurdless of age or skill level. I have absolutly no interest in competing in kick boxing, not the stuff around here anyway. But I admit I am curiouse how I'd do in mma or grappling. I really need to find the time to go up to that place KF told me about...

Becca

email them about your concern. its better then just complaining about it and not doing anything about it.

Becca
09-20-2007, 12:21 PM
did, about 6 months ago. I'm guessing I wasn't the only one, since shortly after they anounced that they'd be "going back to Vegas." But Vegas ain't any closer the Cincinatti...:(

Oso
09-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Becca, NAGA will be in Las Vegas October 27th according to the flyer I have.

MP: thanks, about what I figured. Running late is just par for the course and something to expect from any event.

Kinda looking for something to jumpstart my training a bit. I'd do no-gi...I'm definitely out of training for gi, I'd get my ass choked quick for sure. But, we've been rolling in the school fairly often...at least weekly if not twice weekly. I need to see if my jujitsu buddy wants to go and get some mat time in between now and then.

money will still play a factor as I just changed jobs, again, and the school is still struggling on.

we'll see.

Shaolinlueb
09-20-2007, 08:04 PM
cincinatti? ohio? the arnolds are in ohio, that is a naga tournament.

Merryprankster
09-20-2007, 08:38 PM
I think the arnold's are a GQ event.

Shaolinlueb
09-20-2007, 08:43 PM
they are nationally ranked. i remember seeing it on the site.