PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun's chain punch and JKD's straight balst

NorthernMantis
09-14-2001, 05:33 AM
Other than the name is anything else different?

"Always be ready"

ghoyd
09-14-2001, 08:08 AM
It depends on who you ask.

My blast is very similar, with a variation in footwork. I wrote a small explanation a while back. It is at the link below.

http://www.geocities.com/ghoyd/library/techniques/straight_blast.htm

Gary Hoyd
http://www.geocities.com/ghoyd/
MIDWESTERN JUN FAN FIGHTING ALLIANCE

Vankuen
09-15-2001, 12:05 AM
Lin wan kuen is the chinese term wing chun stylists use for consecutive punches, in other words numerous punches one after the other.

Correct me if Im wrong, but isnt the JKD straight blast a single punch? Like the lead straight blast using shooting in footwork?

"From one thing know ten thousand" - Miyomato Musashi, Book of five rings

"Loy lau hoi sung, lut sau jik chung"

NorthernMantis
09-15-2001, 04:06 AM
Thanks for the info

"Always be ready"

Cyborg
09-15-2001, 05:12 AM
I've got Vunaks tape on the straight blast and he says that Wing Chun keeps their lead the same (I don't know, can a real WC stylist step forward and verify that?) while JKD "runs" toward them punching. That's what it looked like on the tape.

Any body wanna spar?

Vankuen
09-15-2001, 06:06 AM
I would step forward...but I dont understand what you mean by keeping the lead the same. Lead hand? As is the man sau hand? or what? If you clafify on that...someone might be able to help you out.

Cyborg
09-16-2001, 01:10 AM
By lead I meant the side of the body that is predominantly in front. I know that the last WC guy I sparred was almost square to me, but I understood the tape to mean that WC doesn't change lead legs like Vunak did. I don't know WC terminology so I can't explain any more. :(

Any body wanna spar?

ghoyd
09-16-2001, 06:49 AM
Vankuen, You are thinking of the "Straightlead", or "Leading Straight Punch".

Cyborg, it depends on the JKD guy. I know that isn't much of an answer, but some guys keep the leading leg in front (for groin protection), and others "run it down the opponent's throat" (literally running it at the guy). I personally keep the lead leg in front.

Oh and yes, in Wing Chun the lead leg is kept in front as well.

You are also correct about the hips. Wing Chun guys keep square hips.

In JKD, the hips change depending on distance.

In kicking range, we use the 'open bai jong', which is having the hips at a 45 degree angle (to better facilitate long range tactics and mobility).

In trapping range it turns into the 'closed bai jong' where the hips square up and the rear heel drops, and the weight distribution changes (for added rooting, like in Wing Chun). This is for several purposes. To give you the use of both arms equally. To make it more difficult for an opponent to take one side from you. And it adds to the structural integrity of your stance.

Well this has already led into more than I intended, and I have to hit the hay

Gary Hoyd
MIDWESTERN JUN FAN FIGHTING ALLIANC

[This message was edited by ghoyd on 09-16-01 at 09:57 PM.]

sifuironfist
09-16-2001, 01:47 PM
I saw Vunak's Straight Blast tape, and his explaination of Wing Chun's way of doing it. Vunak didn't know what he was talking about! In wing chun the punch is thrown in a straight line. Vunak throws his in a circular fashion, with the fist arcing downward upon contact, which has no structure. There seems to be a misunderstanding about wing chun's fighting posture. In wing chun, a lead leg does not mean a lead side. Even with a lead leg, wing chun maintains a square body position, so there is no lead side. As for Vunak, I was very disapointed in his fighting method. As much as you see him in the mag's and with all of his instructional videos, I thought he would be good, but this guy is a joke!

Americans are so smart, they can put a man on the moon, but they still study Karate!!!

S.Teebas
09-16-2001, 05:16 PM
WC has structure, JKD does not. I believe WC can attain much more power at the high levels in each art.

ghoyd
09-17-2001, 12:09 AM
I realize many JKD'ers don't have much structure in their blast,,,, BUT THEY SHOULD!

The hand portion SHOULD look the same. As a matter of fact, I first learned the blast (chain punching) from Wing Chun, and just made a few modifications of footwork. This was where Bruce Lee learned and applied the blast as well.

Gary Hoyd

Vankuen
09-17-2001, 01:46 AM
It is my belief, and experience, that in wing chun we have no set stance, or lead, or a preferred side to fight from.

Most wing chun people that I see face square, with feet parallel to one another...and neither foot in front. Some others stand with a foot in front, but with the hips still square. This in no way has anything to do with the guard position, as either foot can be in front regardless of hand you choose as the man sau hand or "asking hand" (lead). Like in JKD, wing chun practitioners should never be static, but constantly varying the angle and mode of attack. And each "stance" is simply a transition to facilitate an attack.

I know a bit about JKD, but not a lot. As far as I know, those theories are about the same there are they not? I mean...one must never be static, and footwork must be natural and spontaneous right? Same same to me.

Now as far as lin wan kuen is concerned, or the straight blast, how different can it be? Other then the varying degrees of each persons technical level, shouldnt it all be pretty much the same? I mean as Bruce would put it, we all have two arms and two legs, and until we grow another arm, or leg, or tail or something, there will be no really "new" or different martial arts.

ghoyd
09-17-2001, 04:43 AM
Vankuen,

I agree with the first 3 paragraphs of your post.

As for the last one, well:

You seem to be from a Wing Chun background, so they probably do look very similiar. Most WC guys blast the same way (with minor variations). But brother, I am here to tell you, I have had JKD guys come into my JKD class blasting with what looks almost like backfists! Hard to believe, but true. The biggest mistake (JUST MY OPINION) I see JKD guys making is that they "roll" their punches and do not cross at the wrists, and they do not have a "heavy elbow". They are missing out on three great "clearing" tools!

Gary Hoyd

LEGEND
09-17-2001, 07:55 PM
Yeah but the JKD CONCEPT guys...VUNAK school of thought is basing there straight blast method of using chain punching as a distraction to use the knees and elbows! I don't think they care too much about the KO ability of a chain punch.

A

ghoyd
09-18-2001, 12:38 AM
We don't consider it a finishing move either (although it CAN be), but more of a setup to a finishing move.

Our way of thinking (application) is probably more alike than we realize. I think our techniques just vary a bit.

You said they use it as a distraction... Well if the opponent has a habit of counter fighting, don't you want to have the most protection you can when you blast? I'll take any extra little advantage I can.

Gary Hoyd

Vankuen
09-19-2001, 01:34 AM
I can see the rolling, and even the backfists during the lin wan kuen. As I've seen clips and read things of Bruce Lee teaching the lap/bong luk sau, or rolling hands, using gwai kuen instead of chung kuen (backfists instead of vertical fists).

When I dabbled in JKD, I used a lot of backfists as well. They are fast and easily inserted. There seems to be a high degree of importance on that particular strike. To me...if you can backfist then you can straight punch as well...and I believe that the straight punch packs a bit more of a whallup then the backfist on average. But thats just me.

I get concerned though when I hear people using that method to distract though, the reason being is that I was always trained to hit only when the hits count, and to me, using lin wan kuen hitting nothing but air seems to be wasted motion. I mean maybe theres a different philosophy in the schools of JKD? Someone want to clarify on that?

fmann
09-19-2001, 06:38 PM
There seems to be alot of variation. Some JKDers run like a mad man, some shuffle step. Some roll their punches, some backfist, some use straight WT/WC punches. Some JKDers can put a person down with their straight blast, some just use it to close distance w/o focusing on knock-out/down power.

In my WT school, we train it w/ straight punches, "shuffling" or "passing" steps depending on distance, but always drilling knock-out/down power. Which is what I think Vankuen also trains.

Vankuen
09-22-2001, 03:21 AM
Yeah....I try to train that way...I have a loong way to go with wing chun though. I came from a very "shaolin kung fuish" background...and muay thai too....so it's different wing chun is...If I spar doing things naturally as I would, then I do alright against most people, but when I try to only use wing chun...I dont do as well. Lots to learn lots to learn.

fmann
09-23-2001, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I have the same type of problem, Vankuen, although I haven't trained in any particular style long enough to be engrained by it, I don't use WC exclusively when I have to bust a nut, but I definitely realize that I apply the principles if not the technique -- straight motion, forward intent/pressure, etc..

Like I said in another thread, focusing on the executing perfect WC technique in a fight may not save you, but applying the principles will.