PDA

View Full Version : WTF is the purpose?

diego
09-19-2007, 09:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c2GoY4Wd9M&NR=1

spin kicks on a wooden dummy?...who is he fighting:rolleyes:

Fire Dragon
09-20-2007, 06:27 AM
Reminds me of an old CLF classmate of mine who studied Isshin Ryu karate. The body mechanics just seem so unrealistic. No fluidity, everything very stiff.

BruceSteveRoy
09-20-2007, 06:44 AM
is he slowing it down to demonstrate the moves or is it supposed to look like that? i have never seen karate kata so sorry if thats a dumb question.

Fire Dragon
09-20-2007, 06:54 AM
is he slowing it down to demonstrate the moves or is it supposed to look like that? i have never seen karate kata so sorry if thats a dumb question.

As far as I know that is how it is supposed to look, although this guy is really over exaggerating things.

lkfmdc
09-20-2007, 07:07 AM
I'm not really up on my history and all, but I wasn't aware we had eleven world wars?

oh, and for a "talented" martial artist who has taught "the best", he rots :rolleyes:

Becca
09-20-2007, 07:19 AM
OMG! Who in thier right mind whould think that was how it was supposed to look? I could start with the staff "kata" and how the staff didn't even touch the floor when he was sweeping. And the arm scrapes... No. This guy has no idea what the movements are suposed to be doing. Even if he was slowing it down and exagerating it, you should still be able to see good technique. He has none.

sanjuro_ronin
09-20-2007, 07:21 AM
There are so many things "un okinanwan goju" in that empty handed kata, I don't know where to begin, the most obvious being how he "tucks" his chin, the upper body posture and what is up with that "wooden dummy" stuff ?

I've seen less ridged movement in a popsicle stick.

brothernumber9
09-20-2007, 07:29 AM
I thought he was making everything up as he went along, which would explain the pauses between every move and the mad over-repetitions of the same techniques, which didn't make much sense anyway. He most likely learned a little san chin and mixed it with whatever he thought was cool or that he saw on some videos.

Or perhaps he's the real ascendant of Shaolin-Do.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-20-2007, 07:31 AM
The way he's rounding his upper back and sinking his chest is reminiscent of Chinese Haka styles, like WuZu Quan (5 ancestor's Fist).

He arches his lower back to a degree that makes it pointless though.

The staff set in the beginning has some similarities to Southern Tai Tzu Quan as well.

sanjuro_ronin
09-20-2007, 07:35 AM
The way he's rounding his upper back and sinking his chest is reminiscent of Chinese Haka styles, like WuZu Quan (5 ancestor's Fist).

He arches his lower back to a degree that makes it pointless though.

The staff set in the beginning has some similarities to Southern Tai Tzu Quan as well.

Except his stances are too wide for that to be of any use.
His staff work was as similar to real staff work as getting kicked in the groin is similar to choking the chicken.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-20-2007, 07:38 AM
His staff work was as similar to real staff work as getting kicked in the groin is similar to choking the chicken.

Reply]
Yeah, all that too. He's poorly corrected. Probably from one of those traditional teachers that shows you once, and you have to be smart enough to just "get it" from that.

sanjuro_ronin
09-20-2007, 07:40 AM
His staff work was as similar to real staff work as getting kicked in the groin is similar to choking the chicken.[/I]

Reply]
Yeah, all that too. He's poorly corrected. Probably from one of those traditional teachers that shows you once, and you have to be smart enough to just "get it" from that.

Reply]

Or someone that has "learned" from a Book or video.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Reply]
Or someone that has "learned" from a Book or video.

Reply]
That is possible...although my book learning never looked that bad....my OYD training did though.

OYD does not do the Dragon back, or I would say he probably came form them, or some similar group.

sanjuro_ronin
09-20-2007, 07:50 AM
OYD ?

Over
Yonder
**** ?

Shaolinlueb
09-20-2007, 08:17 AM
bad posture, over exageration, no idea what the moves are. this guy sucks rocky mountain oysters.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-20-2007, 08:20 AM
OYD ?

Over
Yonder
**** ?

Reply]
Oom, Yung Doe...which is another name for Chung moo Doe/Chung moo Quan

RonH
09-20-2007, 08:34 AM

Unless it's a 'stretching kata'. That way, we can assume that he isn't full of sh!t.

The multiple dummies can work, if one wants to do dummy work, while moving around. In a way, it might be good for practicing how you might fight against a group of people, but that's only in the solo form. It's much like doing a solo form. The only difference is that you've got wood to hit. It still suffers from the same drawbacks solo form work has for fighting multiple people. There are no others.

But honestly, you're better off just working with the one dummy and working on your footwork through some other method. I'd hate to get overexcited, turn and jab myself in the eye with one of the arms because I wanted to put 6 of them close together.

His staff work makes me think he never had any real form to derive from for what did. He just made it up as he went along after seeing bits and pieces in wuxia. How the fu@k do you even say that word?

mantis108
09-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Com'on guys, admit it... You are all jealous of his beautiful studio and he even have money to build a wooden dummy corridor like the legendary Southern Shaolin one. :D

packaging, it's all about packaging.

So what if he can't do shiiaat?! :eek: Not everything can be bought right? ;)

Mantis108

diego
09-20-2007, 06:49 PM
But honestly, you're better off just working with the one dummy and working on your footwork through some other method. I'd hate to get overexcited, turn and jab myself in the eye with one of the arms because I wanted to put 6 of them close together.

Pretty much:D

RonH
09-21-2007, 02:51 PM
But, if they're designed to shoot spikes out of those arms, I'll give it a go. ;)