PDA

View Full Version : kung fu stretches and forms and resistance training

shendog
09-20-2007, 11:27 AM
I need help. see i am pretty strapped for time with a full time job and college classes. I have In the past only weight lifted but now I have a new kung fu type workout that works fast twitch muscles and gives me massive flexibility. This workout takes a half hour.
I dont know what would be better:
Choice one
workout kung fu before work and weights after work.

Choice two
weights morning kung fu after work.

Choice three all at once like first do military presses and chins then continue right into my kung fu and after my forms do some sets of squats.

How do most teachers position things like pushups situps in their teaching kung fu before or after kung fu class?

BlueTravesty
09-20-2007, 11:30 AM
when I was doing kung fu *sniffle* sifu usually had us start with stretching and calistenics for the first 20-30 minutes... the remaining times would be technique, drilling, and then a little bit of time for forms. Sometimes, when they were feeling REALLY mean, one of the instructors would have us do more ab work toward the end of class...

ahh, how I miss it...

maxattck
09-20-2007, 11:53 AM
I would weight train after Kung Fu practice, unless you are working on endurance.
Weight training should Fatigue your muscles. I would stretch (static, isometric) after weight training though, and do dynamics strecthes prior to any Kung fu training( forms, bag work ect)

shendog
09-20-2007, 01:52 PM
thanks for the feed back. I have tried all three ways. Honestly like the training after my kung fu alot better so I will have to give it a go.
:)

shendog
09-20-2007, 05:17 PM
I have decided on this routine
monday first kung fu then heavy kettlebell presses
tuesday first kung fu then chin ups
wednsday kung fu then kettlebell squats
thursday kung fu then heavy kettlebell press and so on

do you think this is effective?
:D

GiggityZZ
09-20-2007, 05:22 PM
that sounds like ap retty good effective workout plan for now. after a week of that i suggest u throw in some special training that works out cardiovascular endurance.

one great exercise u can do is jog in place for 1 minute straight (if u can do more than go ahead and go for 5 minutes). when ur jogging in place, raise ur knees as high as u can. i guarantee ull be panting for breath within the first 30 seconds.

maybe u wont be panting if ur already physically fit. but thats just one exercise i started doing.

remember when ur lifting weights, get the full range of motion. so that ur whole stretch of muscle can get the workout.