PDA

View Full Version : perhaps off topic...

woodendumby
09-20-2007, 04:21 PM
To make a long question short....I have found myself in violent situations before , sometimes my awareness has tipped me off to the coming danger, only to start a huge rush of adrenaline. Not always a good thing for me.

This huge rush often leaves me half defeated prior to the first strike, shakiness and weakness sets in ... this could be deadly, for sure.

I suppose to a ring fighter, or someone who likes to fight this would not be a problem...because they fight all the time. can anyone give some guidance on this.... Perhaps this effects me more than others, but surely there are ppl here that have experienced similar things. I often think my body dumps too much adrenaline into my veins....but more likely I just need to learn to controll it.

any advice will be appreciated. thanks

couch
09-20-2007, 06:34 PM
To make a long question short....I have found myself in violent situations before , sometimes my awareness has tipped me off to the coming danger, only to start a huge rush of adrenaline. Not always a good thing for me.

This huge rush often leaves me half defeated prior to the first strike, shakiness and weakness sets in ... this could be deadly, for sure.

I suppose to a ring fighter, or someone who likes to fight this would not be a problem...because they fight all the time. can anyone give some guidance on this.... Perhaps this effects me more than others, but surely there are ppl here that have experienced similar things. I often think my body dumps too much adrenaline into my veins....but more likely I just need to learn to controll it.

In my opinion, the more you spar and 'practice' fighting, the more comfortable you'll be.

Also, you need to be 'mind-ready' by meditating on success in that situation. Use your imagination to come up with scenarios and how you will be successful in them.

If you can practice calm, then you can overcome that adrenaline dump.

Keep at your weaknesses and then they'll become strengths.

Best,
Kenton Sefcik

anerlich
09-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Read "Strong on Defense" by Sanford Strong and "Watch my Back" and "Fear: The Friend of Exceptional People" by Geoff Thompson for EXPERIENCED and PROFESSIONAL advice. IMO these are essential reading for anyone who claims any knowledge of self-defense.

Rehearsal and visualisation certainly help.

monji112000
09-20-2007, 08:41 PM

You should look to start going to competitions. Even chi sao.. it doesn't matter if you win or lose if the venue sucks.. ect...

You put yourselves in as many situation were you have confrontations, you will naturally adapt. EVEN light sparring venues work for this. You don't need to do MT or MMA .. not everyone is up for it.

Just get calm and then a few seconds before... get ****ed off or whatever you do to get in the mode. You do not want to be afraid, thats the worst thing you can do. Just be calm and then tun the switch on :D
I am normally allot better when I am angry, and I ignore the crowds ect.. It may take me a couple good hits before I really get ****ed but when I do :D
JMO do what works for you.

oh a few tips to also do when training... look people in the eye, and train with people that are better and who intimidate you. the eye thing is really important, I have gotten people to back down from fights recently just by looking them in the eyes. You can really intimidate someone ... and its a good ego boost. (ok I don't train in as much as I should but its smart).

YungChun
09-21-2007, 06:38 AM
Read "Strong on Defense" by Sanford Strong and "Watch my Back" and "Fear: The Friend of Exceptional People" by Geoff Thompson for EXPERIENCED and PROFESSIONAL advice. IMO these are essential reading for anyone who claims any knowledge of self-defense.

Rehearsal and visualisation certainly help.
Agreed...

And I'll add three more words.. Adrenal Stress Conditoning..
http://www.rmcat.com/page2.html

AmanuJRY
09-21-2007, 07:45 AM

Similar to what's been said, you need to experience it more. RMCAT training or MMA sparring and fighting are ways to ease into it at your pace and still be actually training and developing adrenal stress response.

MMA, both amature and pro has the added variable of public display, it can really play on the nerves and added with the adrenal dump can be the end of it (to me this is similar to the days in high school of getting my a55 kicked in front of half the school).;)

Experience is everything, and Kensho helps.:D

YungChun
09-21-2007, 08:03 AM
MMA sparring and fighting
This is where the 'sport' meets the street.. The body/primal brain, cannot tell the difference, when faced with an opponent in the "Ring" whether or not the threat is 'real' (a street attack) or sport. So, you have the adrenal conditioning happening in sport, that is just as important for "real application" as it is in sport.

The benefits, with experience, aside from not feeling like you're going to throw up so much, is that one is able to maintain more of what is called fine motor control <high road>, which can make or break some of those 'cool' moves everyone is working on in 'class'.