PDA

View Full Version : Now I need guidance

Daniel09
09-20-2007, 06:18 PM
I am as many say, a weakling. I'm trying to find a good style to practice martial arts-wise. If you are to help me out with this you may require a basic overview of the kind of person I am and the way I am physically. I am 5 feet 1 and a half inches tall. I weigh 135 pounds. I have flexibility in my knee joints wheras I can twist my lower leg to be vertical while I sit. I where glasses and have have a slightly chubby complexion. I have definite muscles on my arms and legs.

Now for psychology. My favorite animal is the tiger. My favorite color is green. I like to move around a lot, but I tend to run out of breath easy. I like to run a lot and I can meditate to the point of seeing definite colors.

If this is enough information, could people help me decide what form of martial arts would be best suited for me? I don't know enough about them to choose for myself.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-20-2007, 06:30 PM
I suggest you look to see what it is you find near you that seems to fit.

Barring that, I think you should do Long Fist to start out with. It will definitely help build your wind.

Of course, a good teacher of any style is more important than the style itself.

street_fighter
09-20-2007, 06:44 PM
I suggest you look to see what it is you find near you that seems to fit.

Barring that, I think you should do Long Fist to start out with. It will definitely help build your wind.

wait wait wait. he said his favorite colour is GREEN. do you even read posts before replying? long fist is only for people whos favorite colour is orange, green is mantis or bagua; but it doesn't sound like you will need instruction anyway, you can already see colours when you meditate... thats high level qigong.

*edit. sorry just saw the chubby cheek part, in that case you were born to take lama pai.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Sorry, Bagua is an imperial art. Purple is the color of Royalty. Gold too...:p

SPJ
09-20-2007, 07:44 PM
yellow is the color of the emperor.

green is not only for insects but also for reptiles.

if you are into shaolin fist, you would be asked to do xiao hong fist or little red boxing.

--

whatever is available to you as RD pointed out.

--

:D

Shaolinlueb
09-20-2007, 08:02 PM
sounds like you need to go on the show, "the pick up artist" on vh1

sunfist
09-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Buy a set of weights, use them daily in the privacy of your own home. Pay attention to proper alignment rather than how much you can lift. Show determination and slowly you will make progress.

As for martial arts, if youre looking for a zen answer here it is: You dont understand your question. In the mean time, experiment with a few different martial arts and see which fits you best.

SPJ
09-20-2007, 09:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRq33-EGVAE&mode=related&search=

northern boxing all started from here.

SPJ
09-20-2007, 09:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ArhPNuYkjw&mode=related&search=

and then

--

:D;)

SPJ
09-20-2007, 09:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VQW55fdJxA&mode=related&search=

and then

--

TenTigers
09-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Dai Sing Pek Kwa-Monkey Style. You were born for this. Too bad you don't live near NY-I know a Sifu who is looking for someone to pass this on to. So you're basically fukked.

Daniel09
09-21-2007, 03:04 AM
I'm only a few states off. After I finish high school I could check it out. And the spelling errors I had earlier, it was because I kinda do meditation and stuff in secret.

bodhitree
09-21-2007, 04:00 AM
with your background in meditation you may want to think about falun gong!

BruceSteveRoy
09-21-2007, 06:15 AM
with your background in meditation you may want to think about falun gong!

*places face in palm, and shakes head*

Daniel09
09-21-2007, 07:02 AM
I meant that I don't like my parents to know I do this stuff, or really my brother in particular, so I was typing at 50% zoom. Kinda hard to check spelling errors at that.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-21-2007, 08:32 AM
After some basics, Kuang Yun Chuang and foot work drills, this is the first form I teach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDb3f-9iyh0&mode=related&search=

golden arhat
09-21-2007, 08:34 AM
dear god

there is a simple answer to all of this

eat ALOT

do weights

go to a mixed martial arts gym there u will learn how to fight and to fight well

dont give up if its hard

meditate in your own time

also why do your parents dislike your interest in martial arts and zen ?
how old are you

golden arhat
09-21-2007, 08:36 AM

this is about the most sensible thing anyone has ever said on this board

ever

Dragonzbane76
09-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

ever

agree 100%

Daniel09
09-21-2007, 09:43 AM
dear god

there is a simple answer to all of this

eat ALOT

do weights

go to a mixed martial arts gym there u will learn how to fight and to fight well

dont give up if its hard

meditate in your own time

also why do your parents dislike your interest in martial arts and zen ?
how old are you

I'm 15. They just don't like odd things.

golden arhat
09-21-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm 15. They just don't like odd things.

i'm 16

lol thats weird cos buddhism pales in the weird stakes, christianity is like the oddest thing ever

u ever read the bible?

its CAAARAAAAZZZYYY!!

seriously someone was on drugs while writning half the stuff in there

Daniel09
09-21-2007, 12:04 PM
I know and it contradicts itself multitudes of times. I kinda believe in bits and pieces of many religions.

Lucas
09-21-2007, 12:52 PM
you are 15, i assume your in highschool.

would your parents be upset if you tried out for your schools wrestling team? or perhaps just took wrestling intruction on your off time?

a great place to build up your conditioning, strength, and spirit and its not "weird" or anything.

aside from that, i think it might be a bit difficult to pull off paying tuition, and spending the time it takes in a school to actually learn martial arts, without your parents finding out.

it just takes too much time and effort to hide for very long from your parents.

unless you know a neihborhood martial artist you can go sneak lessons from late at night ;)

RonH
09-21-2007, 03:02 PM
If you ever find you like the color of puke, take taijiquan. Really, if you learn how to do it right, you can use most of your muscles so much that it's took much for your digestive system and you vomit. It's easier if you have a very sensitive stomach.

SPJ
09-21-2007, 03:56 PM
I thought tai chi and meditation are reserved for mature adult.

for PG-13, PG -14, reading and travelling.

go out and smell the flowers.

---

RonH
09-21-2007, 04:20 PM
I've never heard that.

Mr Punch
09-21-2007, 04:27 PM
have a slightly chubby complexion. You have fat skin?

Now for psychology. My favorite animal is the tiger. My favorite color is green. I like to move around a lot, but I tend to run out of breath easy. I like to run a lot and I can meditate to the point of seeing definite colors.

If this is enough information, could people help me decide what form of martial arts would be best suited for me? I don't know enough about them to choose for myself.Your favourite animal is the liger? You want to learn bow-staff and chucks?

There are two options:

1) You're mad as a brush. MA will not help you. See a shrink.
2) You're a troll. 0.4/10

Mr Punch
09-21-2007, 04:37 PM
i'm 16

lol thats weird cos buddhism pales in the weird stakes, christianity is like the oddest thing ever

u ever read the bible?

its CAAARAAAAZZZYYY!!

seriously someone was on drugs while writning half the stuff in thereYou said a lot right there, Fred mate!

Don't forget he's in the Land of the Free, where you ain't free if your folks are fundamentalists.

I know and it contradicts itself multitudes of times. I kinda believe in bits and pieces of many religions.To say nothing of miracles, and some geezer coming back from the dead, and then his friends eating him. I suppose that's the point of believe. Ultimately, I'd rather believe in something practical, plain, non-judgmental, and free of all the weird baggage, like Buddhism.

Picking and choosing is a good start, but may complicate your thinking when you should be getting on with things.

But seriously, if your parents are that touchy, as someone else said, try wrestling. Even if you want to do something less jockish and more spiritual/suited to green tigers later it will give you an excellent base for any other MA. Or boxing for that matter. There's nothing like getting the snot beaten out of you for teaching you that colours and fighting are not remotely connected.

Daniel09
09-21-2007, 04:48 PM
It's not that my parents are against it. They already know I do some. I just feel like I don't need to tell them 'everything' that I do.

By chubby complexion I mean I've got muscles, but there is some fat on them. You know, enough for a pinch, but not a lot.

My reasons for wanting to learn martial arts isn't to fight. I already know enough to block attacks, so it's not for defense eithor. I wish to learn because I have always enjoyed it. (and I must say that I found monkey the most fun. I'm able to move alot better than my friend at school who knows it. His styles are based mostly on brute force of the fingers and surprising attacks)

SPJ
09-21-2007, 08:08 PM
After some basics, Kuang Yun Chuang and foot work drills, this is the first form I teach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDb3f-9iyh0&mode=related&search=

a good foundation is the rooting process.

with practice, we may grow into a big tree.

:)

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-21-2007, 08:14 PM

ever

Reply]
And that came from the board's most famous, theoretical video student!! :D

a good foundation is the rooting process.

with practice, we may grow into a big tree.\

Reply]
That is what Kuang Yun Chuang is for. It's a standing post exercise comprised of 6 postures, all horse stance. One a higher, followed by a deep one, then high again alternating like that. The first 3 postures are great for structure, and rooting. The next 3 make for good basic mechanics drills.

golden arhat
09-22-2007, 02:48 AM
My reasons for wanting to learn martial arts isn't to fight. I already know enough to block attacks, so it's not for defense eithor.

there is alot more to defending yourself than blocking
and i'm assuming u go to a regular cma school
u probably cant do that with any proficiency

take up mma
say to your parents that its just boxing, kick boxing, wrestling and judo

they wont think its weird
and u aint lying either

sunfist
09-22-2007, 03:01 AM
Pfft, let him have fun. If you wernt raised in a fighting family you aint gonna be kicking ass at 15, thats just the way of things.

Shaolin Wookie
09-22-2007, 04:32 AM
You said a lot right there, Fred mate!

Don't forget he's in the Land of the Free, where you ain't free if your folks are fundamentalists.

To say nothing of miracles, and some geezer coming back from the dead, and then his friends eating him. I suppose that's the point of believe. Ultimately, I'd rather believe in something practical, plain, non-judgmental, and free of all the weird baggage, like Buddhism.

Picking and choosing is a good start, but may complicate your thinking when you should be getting on with things.

But seriously, if your parents are that touchy, as someone else said, try wrestling. Even if you want to do something less jockish and more spiritual/suited to green tigers later it will give you an excellent base for any other MA. Or boxing for that matter. There's nothing like getting the snot beaten out of you for teaching you that colours and fighting are not remotely connected.

I disagree. As an exponent of MRA (Mixed Religious Arts), I think you can only grasp the truth once you've picked and chosen the most reliable and time-tested beliefs of all the relgions, which will serve you faithfully in all your life's lessons.

It is my personal belief that Jesus Christ, son of Jupiter and Hera, performed great feats throughout his life, including feats of magnificent strength like when he killed a bear with his bare hands (no pun intended); and in the afterlife, was granted an eternal place at the side of the Jade Emperor, and is often depicted with hair like golden fleece, and crucified on a supremely heavy kwan dao, which is intersected by a monk spade to make the cruciform. His is the oldest of the Indian religions, which promulgates the teachings of the 24 Tirthankaras; and he created a method of 24 qigong meditation based on their personalities; although only 23 are still in practice, because one of them was gay, and society hasn't been kind to the gays. Plus, his movements were really flamboyant, and when they're practiced in a park, you can get arrested for indecent exposure (Papa Legba style), and lewd and lacivious conduct. Trust me. I know. He was born in Azerbaijan, and he retreated to a hill and spoke with Ahura Mazda, who was either smoking near a bush, was a smoking bush, or was starting a forest fire by lighting the bush on fire; anyways, when he grew wise, he descended to teach the Jews the Code of Hamurabi, but they displeased god by worshipping a golden calf, so he flooded teh world. The only survivor was Deucalion, and he and his good friend, Robby, were the only two survivors of the flood. They often had sex on their boat, and when the floodwaters receded, a rainbow came out. That's why gay people still like rainbows to this day. Near the end of his life, Christ gathered his many imams and disciples and forsook cultural norms by eating pork. "Thus," spake he, "shall I prove that God's ban on pork is true." And true enough, he died. From this incident arose the Atheist creed, which aligns itself with the shunned prophet Rufio, who legends tell, said to Christ before partaking of the pork: "Dude, it's green. Please put down that fork. I'll go buy us some better pork." But to no avail. Christ ate and died. Rufio apparently delivered the eulogy as follows (before hanging himself by his foot, which is an image still propagated in omikuji Tarot): "What an idiot. I told him not to eat it. He at that spoiled mutton for nuthin'." Christ then entered heaven and was gifted with 70 virgins, whom he regularly has sex with in many creative positions. Because this followed after the pork incident, it became a custom to refer to the sacred sexual act as "porking." They carried the body outside, and placed him under the great tree, Yggdrasil. Ymir's worms ate the body, and from the dessicated body came the Great Second Kingdom of the Upper Middle Earth. Then the Evil Alien being known as Lord Xenu took Christ's soul, stuffed it into an electron tube, and broadcast it across the nation; millions still watch him every Sunday, and prove that the prophecies of Joseph Smith are true; Jesus did come to America. Ancient records tell of how he crossed the Land Bridge between Asia and Alaska, and guided the Native Americans to Christianity. And they became white when they were baptized. That's why we still pass around the magical golden plates on which god inscribed his divine message every Sunday, and many imams put live grenades in the plates, and blow up the congregation in homage to the atomic explosions Xenu enacted throughout the world in various volcanoes, in order to release the souls of those entrapped in human form. These souls then go to heaven and play harps, and fly around and stuff, or go to hell and basically just party hard and get drunk, but then get crabs and spend eternity searching through their pubes to eradicate the nuisance, only, they can't.

So whenever someone tries to discriminate against me using their religious beliefs, I tell them that mine is stronger. TRA (Traditional Religious Arts) are weak; they're codified, ****genized, and close-minded to the point of being ridiculous. My beliefs are contemporary and fit any situation in life. When I'm having sex, I'm Tantric. When I'm depressed, I'm a Catholic. When I'm happy, I'm a Hari Krishna. When I'm just normal, I'm a Buddhist. And whatever I do, I take my beliefs to the ground by bowing and scraping with all the feigned humility of any bowing, reverent religious figure.

And sometimes I like speak in tongues, preferably Ancient Greek. But only during Ramadan.

woodendumby
09-22-2007, 02:41 PM
since you're posting this question in a kung fu forum...I take it you want to learn a traditional kung fu style. forget mma....you're too small to be thinking about groundfighting with anyone....and you need to forget about hard style fighting altogather. be realistic.

first of all....quit being a **** goofball. what do favorite animals and colors have to do with your question ?

Yes you are a weakling...as you said yourself. but why ? Probably because ppl told you you were from a young (er) age.....and it's easier to be that then it is to be who you truly want to be. Change your mind....and your life will follow. I know a couple guys built similar to you who when provoked absolutley kick a$$.

You need an art that is considered a "soft art" using others own strengths against them. I would suggest taiji or better yet Wing Chun.

golden arhat
09-22-2007, 03:43 PM
since you're posting this question in a kung fu forum...I take it you want to learn a traditional kung fu style. forget mma....you're too small to be thinking about groundfighting with anyone....and you need to forget about hard style fighting altogather. be realistic.

first of all....quit being a **** goofball. what do favorite animals and colors have to do with your question ?

Yes you are a weakling...as you said yourself. but why ? Probably because ppl told you you were from a young (er) age.....and it's easier to be that then it is to be who you truly want to be. Change your mind....and your life will follow. I know a couple guys built similar to you who when provoked absolutley kick a$$.

You need an art that is considered a "soft art" using others own strengths against them. I would suggest taiji or better yet Wing Chun.

no
u really dont need a soft art

there is no such thing as "too small for groundfighting"
ground ighting happens regardless of size and if u know how to do it u have a considerable advantage

i'm 16 and weigh about 11 stone at 6 ft 1

size actually has little to do with it when ur on the ground
its all about technique and proper weight distribution not just sheer mass, i can tap out plenty of bigger guys with ankle locks and such

dont go for a soft art

most chinese hard styles are immensly difficult to use realistically so the chances of a soft art actually helping u are about nil

mma rules its been proven time and again

oh yeah and calling urself a weakling only reinforces that u are one
if u dont consider urself a weakling and u try not to be by standing up for yourself
etc then u wont be one

its ur attitude that needs to change other wise regardelss of how good you get at martial arts u will never really progress u'l freeze in an attack u will let urself be bullied because of your weak state of mind

dont say ur a weakling and u wont be one

Daniel09
09-22-2007, 04:02 PM

Maybe you misunderstood. By weakling, I mean most people I know are much stronger than me and have proved it. I do not look down on myself like you appear to believe. I know I can be strong too, what with the strength I've gained doing simple things like punching hard objects over a long period of time or blocking quick strikes from people. What I'm trying to figure out is what form might be best for my mind-set and body-build.

The fact of the matter is, I am a goofball, but I happen to be a very intelligent goofball. I don't plan on fighting people, just having a good long-term body-set so I don't have to fight people. Some people can be so explosive, acting as if they know everything just because of a few words I typed.

Mr Punch
09-22-2007, 04:24 PM
since you're posting this question in a kung fu forum...I take it you want to learn a traditional kung fu style.Hi KKM!

Bwuhahahaaaaa, how naive is the noob! Imagine thinking that this board really has anything to do with kung fu!

forget mma....you're too small to be thinking about groundfighting with anyone....and you need to forget about hard style fighting altogather. be realistic. OK, so before, I was joking, but this statement really is way off. You haven't practised any groundfighting have you? It's far more likely to be an easily learnable, size-equalizing, reflex skill set in a short time than any TCMA, and with most TCMAs not sparring/practising full contact, most of them NEVER help you to reach a realistic skill set against any size of opponent.

Whatever. It wouldn't be fair to hijack Daniel's thread with another TCMA vs MMA thread, and there are plenty of merits to be had from TCMA with a good teacher, but if you haven't practised something, it's definitely best to leave off with the ill-informed (i.e. totally ignorant) comments.

Change your mind....and your life will follow. That's good advice for anyone, but Daniel doesn't sound like he's desperate to change himself, just to find a MA!

You need an art that is considered a "soft art" using others own strengths against them. I would suggest taiji or better yet Wing Chun.Based on what exactly? The fact that he's small? Or the fact that he likes green?! Give us a workable definition of a soft art and we may have a discussion here! Judo is a soft art. Jujutsu is a soft art. Wing chun? Maybe... in some lines. Never heard of the oh-so-internal featherweight boxing or anything...!?

At this stage it's all academic:
Daniel, it depends on what you have near you and what your parents and you are happy reaching a compromise about... check out the local places, then get back to the All-Wise and All-Knowing kung fu forum! :) :rolleyes:

Mr Punch
09-22-2007, 04:29 PM
I know I can be strong too, what with the strength I've gained doing simple things like punching hard objects over a long period of time or blocking quick strikes from people. What I'm trying to figure out is what form might be best for my mind-set and body-build.
BTW, in general, trying to block non-prearranged strikes will get your face rearranged. It's generally a bad idea, though of course it can work. There are safer things to spend time on.

And sure, if you're happy with your body that's fine, but as somebody said further up the thread, you may want to try getting some weights and HIIT in there somewhere. I have always been happy with my body, but I recently started doing more explosive interval training and weights (strictly for strength, not size) after 17 years in MA and am delighted with the carry-over into my MA.

woodendumby
09-22-2007, 09:14 PM
A noob at what exactly ? posting on this forum ?...c'mon man.

mma rules ? at what ...entertainment ? dude, believe me... at 135 lbs I do'nt give a **** what ground skills you've learned , you're gonna get killed buy a guy my size. put a heavy weight fighter in with a feather weight mma and watch...if you can ... the brutal aftermath. It would be STUPID to say the least.

So if you're talking about entertainment...where the rules protect you from unfair weight advantages , then yeah, mma is great.

I live in the real world. you should visit sometime.

woodendumby
09-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Give you a definition of a soft art.....mmm ok.

It's really not that hard to figure out...but I'll enlighten you.
To the other extreme...Karate, Hung gar etc. meet brute force with brute force...trying to inflict pain with every block etc.

A soft art would rather deflect force or guide it in such a way as to open holes in the attackers structure....and then attack those holes.

I never said WC was a soft art.....I said "or better yet Wing Chun". Wing chun is however a semi- soft art....as you deflect and strike at the same time. often deflecting and striking with kicks and fists...all in one motion.... such skill would no doubt leave poop in your cute mma shorts.

Mr Punch
09-22-2007, 11:20 PM
A noob at what exactly ? posting on this forum ?...c'mon man.As I said, I was just jerking your chain. ;)

But I'd relax if I were you, it'll make it easier for you when the real MMA boys get hold of your post!

And by your own admission you're a couple of months into your beloved (blinkered?) wing chun, still don't understand what's with the pigeon-toed stance, lose it when you have a real-life encounter and are asking questions about the verity of your own sifu... so why don't you just lose the attitude, and don't give advice on things you don't have any experience of?

None of these things are to be embarrassed about, if you stop trumpeting your ignorance now.

mma rules ? at what ...entertainment ? dude, believe me... at 135 lbs I do'nt give a **** what ground skills you've learned , you're gonna get killed buy a guy my size. put a heavy weight fighter in with a feather weight mma and watch...if you can ... the brutal aftermath. It would be STUPID to say the least.I know this post was directed at Golden Arhat, but let's try and get you up to the same page as most of the folk on this forum, just in terms of clarity and terminology.

1) 'a guy of my size'... how big are you?!
2) Look at the weights of Royce Gracie's opponents in the first four UFCs (with no rules but eye gouging/biting - let me help you: Art Jimmerson, pro boxer 29-5 at the time, 6'1, 89kg; Ken Shamrock, wrestler, 6', 93kg; Gerard Gordeau, karateka and world savate champion, 6'5, 98 kg... all beaten in under two minutes including having been illegally bitten by Royce Gracie at 6'1 and then 77kg)
3) You talk about putting a 'heavyweight fighter' in with a 'feather weight mma' - what do you mean by 'fighter' in this context? 'Street fighter'?
4) A lot of fights outside go to the ground. If you don't know what to do, and they do, you lose, size regardless.

Give you a definition of a soft art.....mmm ok.

It's really not that hard to figure out...but I'll enlighten you.See, again with the snotty attitude... go ahead genius, show me! :rolleyes:

To the other extreme...Karate, Hung gar etc. meet brute force with brute force...trying to inflict pain with every block etc.You've never done karate either have you? At the top levels most karate has exactly the same idea of yielding as mst kung fu styles. And as for inflicting pain with every block, with a good pak sao I can not only cause enough muscular damage to your arm to cause you some problems, but I also aim to take your centreline and crush your centre of balance. Pak, bong, even tan will often be intended to hurt, and especially in some lines, every deflection is a strike too. Not so cut and dried is it?

A soft art would rather deflect force or guide it in such a way as to open holes in the attackers structure....and then attack those holes.Which karate often does too, not to mention kendo which wouldn't be judged a soft art either, and while it's a sport also has useful application.

I never said WC was a soft art.....I said "or better yet Wing Chun". Wing chun is however a semi- soft art....as you deflect and strike at the same time. often deflecting and striking with kicks and fists...all in one motion.... such skill would no doubt leave poop in your cute mma shorts.This statement makes you an idiot. Why? Because you assume that I'm championing MMA, and also that I know nothing of wing chun, plus you've obviously never used these wing chun skills in a live environment, either on the street or against a live resisting full-contact, full-speed opponent. I've been doing wing chun for 11 years, including having met and trained with many many people like Yip Chun, Sam Kwok, WSL's Sifu Ng in HK, and top students of Victor Kam, William Cheung's lineage, Leung Ting's lineage, and Robert Yeung's lineage... here's a fact: most of that simultaneous striking, kicking and deflecting is plain old bullsh!t: powerless, slow and/or innaccurate.

I could go into details but I've wasted enough time on another noob who is presuming
to lecture others, and frankly I don't think you'd understand.

sunfist
09-22-2007, 11:23 PM
If you take a soft art though, remember to keep your hands open, it gives you a +2 deflection bonus. Thats the way things work in the real world.

TenTigers
09-23-2007, 05:14 AM
ok, back on topic..sort of
Ok Daniel I have been involved in Martial Arts since I was your age-over 30 years. If I had known what direction my life was going to take-meaning if I had known I would really be doing this forever, I would have done several things first.
One-take wrestling. Join the High School wrestling team. No other team has the conditioning that the wrestling team does. You will get strong, and in phenomenal shape. PLUS-you will learn skills that you will keep for a lifetime. When I was in High School, the only guys you needed to watch were the football players, who would bum-rush you and tackle you-in which you have a fighting chance, or the wrestlers-in which case, you were fukked. Always. Every time. You had no chance in he11 fighting any of those guys. Besides, that team stuck together like glue. Even if you only join for one season, do it.
Two lift weights. But do it right. Get a coach. learn the basic powerlifting methods-deadlift,squat,benchpress,powercleans, and add the stuff for beach muscles in later. Your body is in a stage of development where it is releasing growth hormone. Weight training stimulates this even more. You will get strong FAST. (people would have to take artificial steroids and growth hormones to achieve what your body is doing naturally) And since this is during your growth development, you are laying a foundation of muscle and bone mass that will stay with you forever. Make sure you are getting proper nutrition as well. Don't eat crap food-get enough protien and fresh fruit and vegies, and drink enough water.And get enough sleep.
Three Find yourself a good, tough, traditional karate school-Kyokushin-kai, Seido,or any offshoot of Oyama's. (yeah, you heard me-and I'm a Kung-Fu guy-but I also trained karate, and the little bit of Kyokushinkai I did, made a lasting impact (pun) on me) You will learn structure, discipline of mind and body, and hard knocks. Also enroll in a Judo school-traditional Kodokan Judo, not some offshoot. Between wrestling, Kyokushin, and judo, you will have the absolute strongest foundation in Martial Arts, and anything you take afterwards, you will not only immediately adapt to, but your progress will be faster than most.

Anytime I joined a Kung-Fu school, I would always gravitate towards the guys who did strong Karate. We would be the only ones who didn't mind hitting each other, throwing each other,while the rest of the students shied away from contact-we relished it.

You can do all this while you are young and in school-by the time you graduate, you will be bigger, stronger,and tougher than anyone in your school. And you will have an iron will. Your grades will get better as well, because you will develop such discipline.
THEN, you can go anywhere, and do anything.

Shaolin Wookie
09-23-2007, 06:24 AM
If I had known what direction my life was going to take-meaning if I had known I would really be doing this forever, I would have done several things first.

Yadda...yadda...yadda.....

You can do all this while you are young and in school-by the time you graduate, you will be bigger, stronger,and tougher than anyone in your school. And you will have an iron will. Your grades will get better as well, because you will develop such discipline.
THEN, you can go anywhere, and do anything.

So does this mean you didn't go anywhere or do anything?:p:D

TenTigers
09-23-2007, 06:31 AM
nah, just dwelling on the coulda,shoulda,woulda's. I am right where I'm supposed to be,right now.(sitting on my butt,playing on the pc);)
-and saving this kid alot of frustration and time.
people say, "A wise man learns from his mistakes."
But, my Dad used to say,"No son, A fool learns from his mistakes,A wise man learns from the mistakes of others." Smart man, my Dad.(r.i.p.)

golden arhat
09-23-2007, 06:43 AM
A noob at what exactly ? posting on this forum ?...c'mon man.

mma rules ? at what ...entertainment ? dude, believe me... at 135 lbs I do'nt give a **** what ground skills you've learned , you're gonna get killed buy a guy my size. put a heavy weight fighter in with a feather weight mma and watch...if you can ... the brutal aftermath. It would be STUPID to say the least.

So if you're talking about entertainment...where the rules protect you from unfair weight advantages , then yeah, mma is great.

I live in the real world. you should visit sometime.

no
mma rules at teaching people how to actually fight

u really dont live in the real world
whatever dude ive fought with all kinds of guys from many martial arts and my mma background has always left me on top and them in some kind of submission

the only entertainment to be had is from when i laugh at your rediculous posts
go fight an mma guy okay ?
u obviously know next to nothing

Shaolin Wookie
09-23-2007, 06:50 AM
No son, A fool learns from his mistakes,A wise man learns from the mistakes of others."

HAHAHA.....that's a good one.:D

woodendumby
09-23-2007, 08:25 AM
My brother in law is a teacher at Travis Lutter's mma school here in Arlington TX.....He has never beaten me....and neither would you.

New to Wing chun...yes. New to MA no, I've studied Kenpo and TKD since I was 9 yrs old....I'm 32 now.

flippin out when it comes to a real fight....no, I was speaking about dealing with adrenaline dump when your life is on the line....not the cheers or boos of a crowd.

16 years old and all that mma experience. wow, that's amazing man. You're a f_cking retard.

golden arhat
09-23-2007, 09:02 AM
My brother in law is a teacher at Travis Lutter's mma school here in Arlington TX.....He has never beaten me....and neither would you.

New to Wing chun...yes. New to MA no, I've studied Kenpo and TKD since I was 9 yrs old....I'm 32 now.

flippin out when it comes to a real fight....no, I was speaking about dealing with adrenaline dump when your life is on the line....not the cheers or boos of a crowd.

16 years old and all that mma experience. wow, that's amazing man. You're a f_cking retard.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=v7KxuDYfpSQ

dude whatever that kinda says it all right there (the best bit is at 03:26)

now go hang your head in shame

oh yeah and its doubtful u would beat me in a fight

go and post a vid of you fighting(dancing) prowess otherwise go away

god some ppl seriously :rolleyes:

Knifefighter
09-23-2007, 01:44 PM

Really? Which instructor is that?

Daniel09
09-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the advice, but I don't think I can join the wrestling team (I mean, I can, but I really don't want to). My grades are excellent as it is, so I don't need anything in that area. All I need is instruction and I'm good.

So what I think I'll do is join a karate dojo and get training and tips there. I'll do that next year though, because that's when I'm 16 and can get a job so I can make money to pay for training. I'm pretty sure my growth will extend till the beginning of my senior year in high school, so I think I have time to do things.

You guys have really helped me out a bunch. Thanks!:)

Mr Punch
09-23-2007, 07:18 PM
My brother in law is a teacher at Travis Lutter's mma school here in Arlington TX.....He has never beaten me....and neither would you.OK, let's can the attitude: I'll put mine away if you put yours away!

So what exactly are you talking about here? You say he's never beaten you, but you say you don't deal with sports fighting, so how has he never beaten you if you haven't tried fighting with some kind of restrictions, i.e. sports rules?

Do you mean no rules death matches? In which case you're typing from state pen.
Do you mean on the street? How do arrange these fights? Is his name Kato by any chance?
Do you mean sparring? Is it full contact? Padding? Anything goes?

You see, you seem to be confused about what fighting is.

a) You were lecturing me/us on wing chun.
b) No offence, and there are people who make it work in a live setting, but kenpo and TKD aren't well known for realism in training either.

flippin out when it comes to a real fight....no, I was speaking about dealing with adrenaline dump when your life is on the line....not the cheers or boos of a crowd.Now, this is confusing. I referenced your own admission on the wing chun thread that you lose it in a real situation, and now you're talking about sports again. You seem a little obsessed with the whole sports vs TMA cliche. I was saying that you've come on here with an all-knowing attitude, giving advice to Daniel about toughening up, when you've admitted those things I detailed in my post. That's what's confusing. Everybody has problems within their MA: I've had real life encounters where I've frozen or completely bottled it - I'm not embarrassed; and I've also had real life encounters where I've done the job. So most people on here take that and ask for advice on the forum. You come in asking a bunch of questions, and then laying the law down.

Chill out.

You also seem to be answering me and Fred (Golden Arhat) together like we're some joint MMA entity. He's 16. I'm 35. Ive trained MMA, but I'm primarily a functional TMA guy with 17 years in aiki-based arts, 11 years in wing chun, and several years of MMA (boxing, Thai, shoot grappling), karate, and various other things.

Why do I say functional? Because I have realized that a lot of the stuff I was taught is nonsense in a real setting (i.e. people really trying t take your head off; full contact, full speed) and I like to think I'm finding a balance between the trad things that work and those that don't.

That's where Golden Arhat and I agree. Even at his age he's tried TMA, found some aspects of it wanting and gone on to MMA.

That's not to say we're saying that all TMA is **** and MMA rules (well OK: Fred did say that, but that's just his way of saying things!), but it is another way of challenging you to think outside your box and accept some things you've taken on trust from your teachers and training methods as wrong, however hurtful it is to your ego.

Why did you quit TKD? Kenpo? Why do you now think wing chun is the way forward? When you reach a higher level in an MA you make it your own, and pat of that is continuing to challenge yourself. When I reached shodan in aikido and looked around for good (i.e. more realistic dojo that would push me as a black belt) in the UK, in Japan, I found none. Everybody continued to practise in the same way ad infinitum through the dan grades, so I took the skills I had from aiki (which I personally had always tested against other arts) and tested them in my MMA training.

So, to people who go on about aiki being crap, I expect them to have a similar level of experience (say 5 years plus, since I was five years in when I got my shodan) - otherwise they don't know what the hell they're talking about... similar to people lecturing me on wing chun without having ever tried it in a pressure situation, or from a position of ignorance.

Now I'm going to watch you not addressing any of my points, swearing at the easy target of Fred like we're the same person, and telling m my post is too long and therefore not worth reading... :rolleyes:

Mr Punch
09-23-2007, 07:24 PM
So what I think I'll do is join a karate dojo and get training and tips there. I'll do that next year though, because that's when I'm 16 and can get a job so I can make money to pay for training. I'm pretty sure my growth will extend till the beginning of my senior year in high school, so I think I have time to do things.Good idea. Karate shouldn't be too unpalatable to your parents either. However, a 135 lb stick may find the initial head-on force aspect of karate difficult at first to say the least. If you're going to give yourself a year before you start, try a good bodyweight exercise programme and then work your way into light weights - should build you up a bit to make it easier for you when your start.

As for wrestling, personally, speaking from experience, I always thought that it wasn't for me at all: getting up close, sweaty and personal with some geezer didn't seem too attractive and seemed to have limited martial value... before I did it! Now I wish I'd started earlier! You might want to try it for a few weeks. You might be surprised... but then again maybe not if it's just jocks galore in your school!

woodendumby
09-23-2007, 08:44 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=v7KxuDYfpSQ

dude whatever that kinda says it all right there (the best bit is at 03:26)

now go hang your head in shame

oh yeah and its doubtful u would beat me in a fight

go and post a vid of you fighting(dancing) prowess otherwise go away

god some ppl seriously :rolleyes:

Don't show your ignorance.......that's like watching Rex Grossman and saying football sucks....:confused:

Daniel09
09-24-2007, 02:24 AM
Good idea. Karate shouldn't be too unpalatable to your parents either. However, a 135 lb stick may find the initial head-on force aspect of karate difficult at first to say the least. If you're going to give yourself a year before you start, try a good bodyweight exercise programme and then work your way into light weights - should build you up a bit to make it easier for you when your start.

As for wrestling, personally, speaking from experience, I always thought that it wasn't for me at all: getting up close, sweaty and personal with some geezer didn't seem too attractive and seemed to have limited martial value... before I did it! Now I wish I'd started earlier! You might want to try it for a few weeks. You might be surprised... but then again maybe not if it's just jocks galore in your school!

Actually I've been in karate before, but I was too young then. Got a yellow stripe belt and quit. This time will be for real.

Knifefighter
09-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Don't show your ignorance.......that's like watching Rex Grossman and saying football sucks....:confused:

So, who's your brother in law?

golden arhat
09-24-2007, 09:19 AM

there you go what a fantastic response

dance monkey dance !! :D

Mr Punch
09-24-2007, 05:29 PM
So, who's your brother in law?

So what exactly are you talking about here? You say he's never beaten you, but you say you don't deal with sports fighting, so how has he never beaten you if you haven't tried fighting with some kind of restrictions, i.e. sports rules?

Do you mean no rules death matches? In which case you're typing from state pen.
Do you mean on the street? How do arrange these fights? Is his name Kato by any chance?
Do you mean sparring? Is it full contact? Padding? Anything goes?

Why did you quit TKD? Kenpo? Why do you now think wing chun is the way forward?TTT for Woodendumby.

golden arhat
09-25-2007, 12:45 AM
hellloooo

woodendumby !! ?

u gonna answer them or not ?

also while ur at it have u got a video of you dealing with an mma guy ?