PDA

View Full Version : Scam Alert!!

TenTigers
09-22-2007, 09:22 AM
I just got an e-mail notification saying that there was a problem with my paypal acct. They send a link, you log in with your password and..well, I din't know what, but luckily, I used the wrong password-they still brought me to another site,where they asked for all info-including credit card and ss number! That, and the e-mail did not say paypal, yet they had all the logos etc, so at first, I was fooled-again, lucky for me, I have just enough dain bramage to have a horrible memory.
That woke me up-so I went onto amazon, bought a book, went to e-bay, bought something else, all with paypal-no problem. Sounds like a scam to me.So watch out.

Yao Sing
09-22-2007, 09:31 AM
NEVER click on a link in an email like that. If it says it's from PayPal then type in the PayPal address into your browser.

Hold the curser over it or highlight the link and right click you can see where the link actually goes. Don't be fooled by the text.

www.paypal.com (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2RvflWcEqQ)

TenTigers
09-22-2007, 09:40 AM
I just forwarded it to paypal security and they immediatley responded saying that it is a phishing e-mail designed to steal your identity.

Yao Sing
09-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Yep, I've received them for PayPal plus a couple of banks and I always forward them for investigation.

Again, for all to read, NEVER CLICK THE LINK in one of these emails. ALWAYS go directly to your bank or Ebay, PayPal, etc.

godzillakungfu
09-22-2007, 09:57 AM
NEVER click on a link in an email like that. If it says it's from PayPal then type in the PayPal address into your browser.

Hold the curser over it or highlight the link and right click you can see where the link actually goes. Don't be fooled by the text.

www.paypal.com (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2RvflWcEqQ)

Yes, I've sent every single one to paypal. It seems the less I use it the more I seem to get.

lkfmdc
09-22-2007, 10:06 AM
you mean I didn't really win the British Lottery? ;)

you'll get TONS of these if you have a publicly displayed email... I just delete most, though "fishing" back can be fun. The supposed queen of the Ivory Coast I strung along for about a month until she got tired of answering my dumb questions :p

rogue
09-22-2007, 06:09 PM
I knew it was fishy since I don't have a Paypal account.

Ronin maximus
09-22-2007, 08:06 PM
A co-worker of mine had their identity stolen from the very scam-mail TenTigers described.

Big time nightmare for that person........

NJM
09-22-2007, 08:44 PM
A co-worker of mine had their identity stolen from the very scam-mail TenTigers described.

Big time nightmare for that person........

Well, they deserved it for the stupidity of complying to a password/private information request email, amirite?

GreenCloudCLF
09-22-2007, 09:07 PM
Clicking on a link from an e-mail saying you have account issues makes you punchy.

RonH
09-23-2007, 08:51 AM
I got an email like that not long after I had paid for an item online. The site used paypal, but I hadn't opened an account for the payment. I also got one that said there was a security problem with my amazon account, which I did have, but the ending for the sender address didn't seem right. Everything I ever got from amazon in my email always had the same ending and the ending itself was in the name of the sender, which shouldn't have shown up. That's how I knew it was a scam and I even heard about that type of scam not long after I got that email. I'm 2 and 0.

Ronin maximus
09-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Well, they deserved it for the stupidity of complying to a password/private information request email, amirite?

Yes and no.

Everyone's been scammed at one time or another, whether they know it or not.
Try buying a new car w/o getting shafted. They come up with new way to sucker you every day.

Yum Cha
09-23-2007, 11:57 PM
Ok, once more for the peanut gallery:

NEVER EVER EVER respond to an email asking for your password.

No bank, financial institution or other secure website will ever ask you to verify your ID. This is a major scam, and with all the press it gets, I'm still surprised that people still fall for it.

So, to protect yourself, just send me your bank account number - BSB and Account number - and your pin, I'll store it in my secure vault, and handle all your finances for you. Promise, honest injun!

Dont delay! Operators are standing by!