PDA

View Full Version : Why do we live where we do?

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-22-2007, 10:26 AM
When we could like move to the Caymen's or some other such location and live in paradise year round?

Fire Dragon
09-22-2007, 10:36 AM
When we could like move to the Caymen's or some other such location and live in paradise year round?

Because while 3rd world countries are nice to visit there is not alot of economic opportunity.

FD

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-22-2007, 11:43 AM
There seems to be civilization in the Caymens. Who need lots of money, when you are in paradise anyway?

Dragonzbane76
09-22-2007, 11:53 AM
family and jobs seem to be the biggest things i can think of.

xcakid
09-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Because I am a Catholic, gun toting, NRA member, moderate Republican. Nowhere better to live than TEXAS!!!

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Ahh, ok, so that explains you then.

What about everyone else?

Take me for instance. My daughter is 17 now. In a few years she will be off making her own path...why should I stay in Chicago and freeze all winter, when I can just move to the Caribbean and be in a warm, tropical paradise?

There are just about no taxes for an American living there, or owning a business there, the women are just about naked year round, there is TONES of some of the best hiking, and eco experiences in the world.

All I would have to do is build my trading account up enough to live off of it, and there would be no reason not to move there, and just about every reason for it.

I mean, with my track record with women these last few years, it's doubtful I'd meet someone worthy of staying for anyway.

If I go, I can have a yearly Kung Fu conference for everyone on the board. If I move to a smaller island...I could do my own Han's Island tournament every 3 years!!

Fire Dragon
09-22-2007, 02:05 PM

Take me for instance. My daughter is 17 now. In a few years she will be off making her own path...why should I stay in Chicago and freeze all winter, when I can just move to the Caribbean and be in a warm, tropical paradise?

There are just about no taxes for an American living there, or owning a business there, the women are just about naked year round, there is TONES of some of the best hiking, and eco experiences in the world.

All I would have to do is build my trading account up enough to live off of it, and there would be no reason not to move there, and just about every reason for it.

I mean, with my track record with women these last few years, it's doubtful I'd meet someone worthy of staying for anyway.

If I go, I can have a yearly Kung Fu conference for everyone on the board. If I move to a smaller island...I could do my own Han's Island tournament every 3 years!!

What's stopping you?

FD

WinterPalm
09-22-2007, 02:07 PM
I would say most people stay where they are because of the social community they are a part of. Also, most people really do want the nice things associated with wealth and so figure where better to do it than where they are.
Also, many people have very large debt-loads that will haunt them for some time to come and cannot make such a leap.

That said, anyone can follow their dreams and succedd if they have the inclination and the will.:)

bigdoing
09-22-2007, 02:13 PM
why do we live where we do?

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-22-2007, 02:15 PM
What's stopping you?

Reply]
Well, as soon as I am finished raising my daughter...nothing.

mantis108
09-22-2007, 02:38 PM

errrrr.... you do realize that the majority of the women (60-70%) look better or sexier with some kind of clothing on, right? :eek:

Mantis108

Yao Sing
09-22-2007, 03:31 PM
when I can just move to the Caribbean and be in a warm, tropical paradise?

Have you checked this out? Some countries have restrictions on foreigners working or owning businesses.

I had an opportunity come up in St. Maarten but they have some strange work laws there that might have prevented my ability to take the job.

What's stopping you?

Reply]

So, you believe there's an end to raising children? Interesting concept. My 30 yo MARRIED daughter is moving back next month. And she's the independent one.

jdhowland
09-22-2007, 07:07 PM

To each his own.

I live where I do because I'm a native. This place is always in my heart. I lived in Hawaii for eight years because of the wealth of asian martial arts there. Lots of good people, but I never got used to the humidity. Central Alaska is my paradise.

RonH
09-23-2007, 08:42 AM
My body temp is always higher than average and I prefer around 55 degree weather for when I'm my most comfortable. You should see my electricity usage for keeping cool. With pants and a long sleeve shirt, 55 in the external environment is enough to offset the excess heat I put off all the time. Plus, I like fall weather and snow, just not moving it with the snow blower.

With island places, people think that is what they need to revitalize a sinking relationship or whatever, but what's at the island is what they take with them, which screws everyone else over and ruins their time. But, living there full time can be fun, since it isn't an attempt at temporary escape.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-23-2007, 08:45 AM
errrrr.... you do realize that the majority of the women (60-70%) look better or sexier with some kind of clothing on, right?

Reply]
I am not interested in the 60-70%, only the 30-40% that look best naked!

RonH
09-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Have you tried Minnesota?

SPJ
09-23-2007, 09:16 AM

life sometimes can be such a dreg.

we all have our dream vacation/getaway or dream retirement.

for me. may be another 20 years.

2027 maybe??

:)

SPJ
09-23-2007, 09:19 AM
where there are not so many people.

growing up in taipei, taiwan.

people are everywhere. pretty girls everywhere always in fashion/style.

--

if only I could be alone for a while.

--

:D

BoulderDawg
09-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Although I don't have any stats on this I would say that most people grow up, live and die withing a 100 radius of where they were born.

Some people complain about where they live yet you'll tell them "Move somewhere else".....then the excuses start "I don't have the money", "My job" so on and so forth. Or I'm going to move....next year. Of corse next year never comes.

I think they're missing so much not living in other places. Personally I would like to live in Europe for a year.

TenTigers
09-23-2007, 09:32 AM
my teachers are here,my friends are here, and my students are here, plus I'm close to Chinatown (I'm there 3-4 days a week,sometimes, I might get an apt there and commute to the island) Why would I leave?
I might want to do what Steve LaVallee did-open up three locations here in NY, and then "retire" to Florida and open up one there. Then, go back to NY once a month for tests, seminars,instructor training,etc. Then again, I would be in my
seventies then and what's the point of seeing 20 yr olds in thongs? "All you can do is run to the end of your chain, and bark!" Might as well stay in NY.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-23-2007, 09:33 AM
I have been looking to Costa Rica lately...found a an area settled by Italian Farmers with a good sized Chinese population too.

Shaolin Wookie
09-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Please, you know you live in the 'cago because that's where all the aliens are, dude. There "ain't no green men" in the caimans. There's some "made-men", but no "green men."

"It looked like they knocked over a building on its side and it was flying around....."

golden arhat
09-23-2007, 10:54 AM
paradise is never somewhere new
paradise can only be found by being content with yourself and situation
the sunny beaches change nothing

the grass is never greener on the other side

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-23-2007, 11:02 AM
"It looked like they knocked over a building on its side and it was flying around....."

Reply]
NO quoting my TV appearances!!

BlueTravesty
09-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Well, I live here mainly because I already have a pretty good job, and somewhat "established" where I am. Sure, CMA schools are few and far between, but economic stability is primary. Now if I find out my company has a location somewhere that is rich in CMA schools, and doesn't have a bunch of high taxes for fruit-loopy social programs, then I'm in like flynn, assuming I can find a house there.

Yao Sing
09-23-2007, 12:11 PM
I like being near the ocean (grew up on Jersey shore) and I don't like cold weather. Still considering a move back west to New Mexico, I like the mountains out there.

Other than that I've been thinking of spending some time out of the country, an island would be nice.

Shaolin Wookie
09-23-2007, 12:20 PM
paradise is never somewhere new

Refutation: prom night.

1 point, Gryffendor.

paradise can only be found by being content with yourself and situation

Yeah, but you only feel that way after you take a long trip.

2 points, Gryffendor.

the sunny beaches change nothing

Uh, hello? What about hot babes in skimpy bathing suits who are visiting some paradise in order to have an adventure, and dance gaily about the maypole? And by maypole, I don't actually mean a maypole.

3 points Gryffendor!

the grass is never greener on the other side

Dude, you're a stone's throw from Ireland. If you've ever seen the red dirt in the southern US, then taken a look at any plot of land in Ireland, you know this isn't true.

4 points, Gryffendor!

boshea
09-23-2007, 01:45 PM
What's stopping you?

Reply]

And depending on where you stand in relation to the Cayman Islands work permit laws (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayman_Islands#Work_permits):

In order to work in the Cayman Islands as a non-citizen, a work permit is required. This involves passing a police background check and a health check. A prospective worker will not be granted a permit if certain medical conditions are present. Nor are work permits issued after age 60.

The Cayman Islands presently imposes a controversial "rollover" policy in relation to expatriate workers who require a work permit. Non-Caymanians are only permitted to reside and work within the Territory for a maximum of seven years (non-renewable) unless they satisfy the criteria of key employees. The policy has been the subject of some controversy within the press,[2] and concerns have been expressed that in the long term, the policy may damage the pre-eminence of the Cayman Islands as an offshore financial centre by making it difficult to recruit and retain experienced staff from onshore financial centres. Government employees are no longer exempt from this "rollover" policy according to this report in a local newspaper [8]. The Governor has decided to use his constitutional powers, which give him absolute control for the disposition of civil service employees, to determine which expatriate civil servants are dismissed after seven years service and which are not.

This policy is enshrined in the Immigration Law (2003 revision), written by the UDP government, and subsequently enforced by the PPM government. Both governments agree to the term limits on foreign workers, and the majority of Caymanians also agree it is necessary to protect local culture, and heritage from being eroded by a large number of foreigners gaining residency/citizenshp. [9]

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Hmmm....looks like I would be better off living between Caymen's, Nevus and running an off shore business registered out of Panama.

Su Lin
09-23-2007, 02:18 PM
I live where I do for practical reasons- it's half way between my work and my boyfriend's work and opportunities in my field don't come up very often.I also live where I do as it's really close to the Lake District,some awesome mountain biking to be had there.It's also relatively close to my family,but just far enough that my Mum can't just "pop round" in an evening :D

boshea
09-23-2007, 02:41 PM
I was recently in the position of deciding whether or not to take a new job, which would have made it more convenient for me to move closer to San Francisco if I had chosen to do so, and would have come with a decent pay raise.

However, in the end I decided to stick with my current job because it is close to where I currently live, where I train, and where most of my friends are. I started to think about how much the move would disrupt my training routine, and how much less I'd see my friends. My parents live close enough to both places that moving to SF wouldn't have affected my ability to visit them.

I have lived in other parts of the world for short periods of time, and after a few months I always start to miss the comforts of home. We are creatures of habit, and the nostalgia associated with places that we have lived for long periods of time has a strong effect on us.

Chosen-frozen
09-23-2007, 06:22 PM
This is where my wife and daughters live and they don`t want to go anywhere else.

PS- No skiing in the Camens

Pork Chop
09-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Found out i'm losing my job in about 2 months.
I've got a rare opportunity to relocate somewhere more fun if i can ever get my resume decent.

I'm starting to embrace the idea of going back to where i had the most fun and not just the place that makes the most sense to settle down.
Pros n cons to either.

For me it kinda ties into the woman thing- if I'm not happy & diggin my life, than nobody's going to want to be a part of it, so better take the steps to be happy first.
My job's been a headache since I started- they just haven't given me much work to do.

I'll let you know how it goes. Resume's already overdo but workin on it, so once I get it done i'll be able to start making some progress.

Wherever I end up next I'm going to have a good time.

unkokusai
09-23-2007, 09:42 PM
A lot of benefits to picking up and moving somewhere outside your 'zone' every now and again.

boshea
09-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Found out i'm losing my job in about 2 months.
I've got a rare opportunity to relocate somewhere more fun if i can ever get my resume decent.

I'm starting to embrace the idea of going back to where i had the most fun and not just the place that makes the most sense to settle down.
Pros n cons to either.

For me it kinda ties into the woman thing- if I'm not happy & diggin my life, than nobody's going to want to be a part of it, so better take the steps to be happy first.
My job's been a headache since I started- they just haven't given me much work to do.

I'll let you know how it goes. Resume's already overdo but workin on it, so once I get it done i'll be able to start making some progress.

Wherever I end up next I'm going to have a good time.

I think that's a fantastic idea. Don't let what I said dissuade you; I don't regret the times I've lived in other areas. I just never found the place that would be my new home. Any one of them just as easily could have been the right place, if for example I'd met the right woman there or if it fit my routine better than this place does.

My totally unsolicited advice to you: get that resume together and start your job search in the new area as quickly as you can. If you decide to move there, the less time you have to spend not getting paid a salary the better. Even if the resume is not 100% complete, if you can have something decent ready tomorrow it's better than sitting on it for a few weeks and losing the potential time applying for jobs. Obviously, run it through a spellchecker and an extra set of eyes for sanity checking. You can always revise it as you go. This will give you more options to choose from and allow you to be more selective.

Best of luck to you!

Lucas
09-23-2007, 10:57 PM

If you move there, I am holding you to this statement, and ill see you in the winter time. :D

Yum Cha
09-23-2007, 11:48 PM
I take it most you guys don't live in paradise? Sux to be you.

boshea
09-24-2007, 12:52 AM

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Not too far off, IMO.

Laukarbo
09-24-2007, 01:04 AM
I live in Manila/PI in the heart of chinatown...Im half german half english..lived in Germany most of my life..also lived in HK,China,England (Salford :cool:)..
like Goldenarhart said it doesnt matter where u at..$hit has always the same smell..but as a cma practicioner and teacher I couldnt wish 4 more..here I have all the masters from fukkien cma styles....I have my own small school and if I hadnt have a lovely misses there would be thousands of nice birds available...
hey on the other side we have poverty,coruption,high pollution ..
cant have it all though..its hectic as in most asian countries but thats what I love..to chill in a hectic place..:D

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-24-2007, 07:06 AM

Reply]
I live in Chicago...half the year it might as well be the North pole...

Actually, we have had mild winters here the last 6-7 years. I would still prefer someplace with much shorter winters, and longer summers.

Maybe I could move down by OSO, at least then it would be easy to find training partners!

Another draw back to moving to the Caribbeans is the hurricane season.

Maybe if I went to Sandiego instead?

Eddie
09-24-2007, 08:03 AM
Good question.

I basically live in a country I HATE. I often sit and dream about what it would be like to live anywhere else. Pretty much most of my school friends moved to other countries (something I only recently found out since the bloom of facebook), and we have family who are moving away and making good living in other places.

Im an alien in my own country of birth, and I have to carry the shame of what my grand parents did.

Problem is, Im from a group of people who has very little claim to any lineage anywhere else in the world. We are ‘European’, but we are not. Im African, but Im not.

Some time ago our minister of Safety and Security made a comment in response to critics about the high crime rate. He simply said, those minority of white people who always complain about the crime, can move away to Europe and should leave SA. Honestly, If I could have moved, I would have. But its not so simple. Immigration policies are tough on people from down here, and without a masters degree or plenty of money, its pretty hard to be accepted in other places.

I live in a beautiful country. Some may even call it paradise, but when you have to struggle every day to make a living, and when you have limitations on recourses, it can be hell. I don’t think people that are used to the luxuries of a First World Country, can ever adapt to the punishments of living in the third world.

I’d swop places with you in an instant. I give you the sun, the heat, and the fresh air of Africa, and will gladly take the freezing cold of Chicago.

The third world is a good place to come to if you want to make money for a few years and then return to your luxurious life back in the REAL world. But if it’s the only thing you have, its pretty crappy.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Problem is, Im from a group of people who has very little claim to any lineage anywhere else in the world. We are ‘European’, but we are not. Im African, but Im not.

Reply]
You sound like you would be right at home here in the US.

MasterKiller
09-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Ray Pina packed up and moved to Puerto Rico.

Eddie
09-24-2007, 08:25 AM

Reply]
You sound like you would be right at home here in the US.

yeah, very much so. I wouldnt mind living in the US tho. I love that place.

Australia is the place of choice when you ask South Africans where they want to go. Maybe because the cultures are so similar.

Only thing I know, after 2010, I really hope I wont be stuck down here anymore

Mr Punch
09-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Although I don't have any stats on this I would say that most people grow up, live and die withing a 100 radius of where they were born.Is that 100 inches? 100 thousand miles?!

Personally I would like to live in Europe for a year.Good choice... er, where?

Few tips:

UK, easy women, teeth much much better than a few years ago, but population getting more obese. Violence high, terrible food, great beer, very relaxing, personal hygiene up, say they don't like yanks but your accent'll make many women melt.

France, women more of a challenge (really easy, but they won't let on!), hairy, great food and wine, relaxing is a source of national pride (and so not relaxing at all!), two hour lunch breaks when you're expected to drink wine until you can no longer work in the afternoon, really hate yanks!

Spain, hot women, wine, cheap, good atmosphere, bunch of thieving gypsy *******s.

Portugal, see Spain but cheaper and less jaded towards foreigners, unless you kill your daughter by mistake and hide the body. You can buy approx a third of the country for the price of a Happy Meal in Denmark.

Scandinavia, exhorbitantly expensive, very good standard of loving... er, living; social welfare unbelievably good; you'll learn to love getting shagged by beautiful blond giants, some of them women, some of them Sven.

Eastern Europe: don't, whatever you do, call them Eastern Europe! You'd have to offer them a donkey to make up for the insult to their heritage. Beautiful countries, populated solely by very friendly tour guides who have killed all of their neighbours in unimaginable ways. Can buy all of them for the price of a house in Denmark.

German: great country for beer and food second only to UK in unpalatability; 5% women beautiful, 95% square. Germans are famous for their great sense of humour where you say something as painfully honest about their country's past and everybody laughs very loudly and scarily: same as Yanks but more subtle and they actually know they're joking.

Belgium: beautiful country, good food, really really hate Yanks, but if you tell them you hate the French and Walloons (or was that Flemish? - could be a problem...) they'll love you.

Then again, I would be in my
seventies then and what's the point of seeing 20 yr olds in thongs? "All you can do is run to the end of your chain, and bark!" Might as well stay in NY.Are you nuts?! You may be too old (though now's the time to point at Charlie Chaplin who was still 'active' into his nineties), but the view's still better!

My totally unsolicited advice to you: get that resume together and start your job search in the new area as quickly as you can. If you decide to move there, the less time you have to spend not getting paid a salary the better. Even if the resume is not 100% complete, if you can have something decent ready tomorrow it's better than sitting on it for a few weeks and losing the potential time applying for jobs. Obviously, run it through a spellchecker and an extra set of eyes for sanity checking. You can always revise it as you go. This will give you more options to choose from and allow you to be more selective.D@mn right.

Only thing I know, after 2010, I really hope I wont be stuck down here anymoreWhat happens in 2010?

I live nr Tokyo, Japan. I want to visit a few other places (like most of Asia) while I'm here, but it's going to be difficult with my baby. I wouldn't want to live in the Carib. It's too hot for me, and there is a very high crime rate in many places. I like Japan, but I do want to go back to Birmingham, UK, and live there or in the countryside just out of there for the rest of my life. House prices and the cost of living in the UK right now are way worse than even Tokyo so this isn't going to happen until we've saved a lot more money, but we're kind of on schedule for that plan.

I came here for the culture (and the women...!), and the MA. Got married and that's why I'm still here. I strongly recommend visiting or living in another country for some time to anyone... and to me learning the language has made that experience real - can't be bothered with people who spend any significant time in another country and can't even be bothered to learn the language.

boshea
09-24-2007, 10:33 PM
I came here for the culture (and the women...!), and the MA. Got married and that's why I'm still here. I strongly recommend visiting or living in another country for some time to anyone... and to me learning the language has made that experience real - can't be bothered with people who spend any significant time in another country and can't even be bothered to learn the language.

I could say all of the above about my time living in Thailand for six months, but I didn't end up getting married. How the h*ll did that not happen? :p And don't get any dirty ideas in your head! I worked as a volunteer teacher, learned to speak/read/write the language, adapted to the culture, and trained Muay Thai a bit (which lead to me training Muay Thai a lot when I ended up back home).

I totally agree. Living abroad for a while was one of the best experiences of my life. Sometimes I wonder why I came back. Oh yea, money, ha! But if I could find some way to swing working abroad and earning enough to save some real money, I might do it again.

Mr Punch
09-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Re, the dirty ideas thing: TBH, I only added the bit about women cos if I say 'I went to Japan for the culture,' everybody nods their heads and goes, 'Yeah yeah, tell it to the judge...!'

But the woman thing was after I came... it'd've been rude not to! :D

boshea
09-25-2007, 01:30 AM
Re, the dirty ideas thing: TBH, I only added the bit about women cos if I say 'I went to Japan for the culture,' everybody nods their heads and goes, 'Yeah yeah, tell it to the judge...!'

Hahaha, I hear ya. I practically have to lie and tell people I went there for the women just so they don't call me a liar right off! :p

I won't claim that I went for the culture. I traveled to several countries around that time because I wanted to get out of my office job for a while and have a little more adventure in my life. I happened upon the volunteer teaching opportunity by chance, and it gave me the ability to stay abroad longer while doing something helpful (in theory) at the same time.

Eddie
09-25-2007, 03:49 AM
Is that 100 inches? 100 thousand miles?!

What happens in 2010?

SA will be… or rather I should say, is planning on hosting, the 2010 Soccer World Cup. Pretty much the biggest sporting event in the world.

Theres allot of talk about social and economical upliftment and growth, but nothing seems to be happening really. We all just hope, wait and see. I predict some major changes in the country after that … mostly for the worst.

Although… I do recommend anyone who wants to call himself a world traveller, to visit Africa – specially Southern Africa. If you look past the crime and violence, this place is good for holiday, especially if you bring Pounds, Euros and American Dollars.

and to me learning the language has made that experience real - can't be bothered with people who spend any significant time in another country and can't even be bothered to learn the language.

There are allot of foreigners whos been in this country for ages, but still dont speak or even understand my language. One of the ways the cops down here check to see if the random [very dark] black guy was born here or comes from other neigbouring african countries, is to speak to them in Afrikaans (Dutch / Flemmish). If they dont understand, they get locked up ;)

SPJ
09-25-2007, 07:27 AM
I always live very close to the ocean.

all the hustle and bustle of a city dwelling "upset" me.

--

laguna beach is only 10 min away. I usually would go to the beach at least once a week.

look at the waves and hear the voice of seagull--

I am calm.

no matter what stress or worry on my mind is forgotten.

if we think something big or massive such as the ocean or the space/universe, then everything seems so minute or not as important.

--

I was born close to a seaport. My mom took a daily walk near the ocean when she was carrying me. may be that has something to do with it.

--

paradise is where your mind/soul is may be???

--

SPJ
09-25-2007, 07:30 AM
for my brother.

a can of beer and a microphone from a karaoke machine.

he would sing his lung out.

that soothes his mind/soul.

or he vents his emotions in the songs.

--

that is a paradise for him.

--

Pork Chop
09-25-2007, 08:10 AM

Hehe, I know exactly how that is. That's why I always make it a point to say I went to high school there. Wasn't my fault I ended up there, didn't have any interest in it before I got there, but man did it have an effect on me. :D

Becca
09-25-2007, 09:31 AM
To each his own.

I live where I do because I'm a native. This place is always in my heart. I lived in Hawaii for eight years because of the wealth of asian martial arts there. Lots of good people, but I never got used to the humidity. Central Alaska is my paradise.
Nicely put. I personally don't consider the tropics paradise. Paradise is an over-night hiking trip in the high Rockies with my kids and mutts. Wich I did this week end after my clinic.;):)

Lucas
09-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Ray Pina packed up and moved to Puerto Rico.

on of the smart ones too....

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-25-2007, 03:34 PM
on of the smart ones too....

Reply]
I may follow his lead...only to Costa Rica. Just as soon as my trading account is big enough to support me.

I can live on half the amount of money there, as I do here and have a better standard of living too.

I have to see what thier governmental structure is like, and thier banking too. Costa Rica may just be a freer country too.

B-Rad
09-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Would like to live somewhere else, but not sure what I'd do to make money. Working on web design and photography though, as I think those skills would transfer fairly well to other locations.

boshea
09-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Would like to live somewhere else, but not sure what I'd do to make money. Working on web design and photography though, as I think those skills would transfer fairly well to other locations.

As long as they speak the same language (or another language that you are fluent and literate in).

WuDe
05-15-2008, 05:15 AM
Then again, I would be in my
seventies then and what's the point of seeing 20 yr olds in thongs? "All you can do is run to the end of your chain, and bark!" Might as well stay in NY.

One should never lose sight of twenty year olds in thongs,at any age no matter what kind of chain you may have locked yourself up to.My father always told me,he will always look,still faithful,but if you dont look and admire pretty girls , you must be blind.

David Jamieson
05-15-2008, 05:38 AM
we make our own heavens and we make our own hells.

You would find something to dislike in the tropics eventually.
There is planty to not like there as there is plenty to not like here.

the first time a hurrican takes your shanty will dishearten you, the 5th time will see you back in chicago. :D

Black Jack II
05-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Actually, we have had mild winters here the last 6-7 years.

Ah, last winter was the worst winter since 1977 in terms of lack of sunlight and it was a ***** with snow.

I can live on half the amount of money there, as I do here and have a better standard of living too.

God no it's not, part of the company I work for has a organic mushroom farm in costa rica, have you ever been there??

It's amazing to look at but that above statement holds no truth.

I have to see what thier governmental structure is like, and thier banking too. Costa Rica may just be a freer country too.

There legal system has some serious issues to say the least.

RD'S Alias - 1A
05-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Worst winter since 1977? Did you forget 1979 by chance? I also remember WAY worse winters all through the 80's, and even early 90's.

What is wrong with thier legal system?

BoulderDawg
05-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Where we live?

I'd say about half of us live their entire lives within a 100 miles of where they were born. Of course 50 years ago that was probably 90%.

Others becasue of jobs, friends, family live elsewhere. Still others have a sense of adventure.

Black Jack II
05-16-2008, 05:46 AM
Worst winter since 1977? Did you forget 1979 by chance? I also remember WAY worse winters all through the 80's, and even early 90's

No, not with Sunlight it was not and not by total volume based on a staggering period of time. It's did not have any massive blizzard but in terms of lack of Sunlight and staggering snow after snow it sure was.

Tell it to the news.

Costa Rica is a cool place, don't get me wrong, but their is a bit of corruption in it's legal system, if that extends down to the common man and past business dealings I can not say.

Either way, I love to travel, but staying right here in the U.S.A

To many people as it is, think that traveling aboard is some great adventure when they have not even seen a percentange of what is in their own country. Massive amount of amazing things to be seen and done here, it would take you two lifetimes.

David Jamieson
05-16-2008, 05:57 AM
the simple truth of it is this.

people are lazy, greedy and self interested.

moving takes thought and effort and time.

those three factors alone are the roadblock to most people against doing anything with usefulness or purpose or correct intention in their lives.

unfortunately a great deal of people behave like the walking dead and have no elan de vidal and ergo live their life of drudgery out in their little space.

sad lot of monkeys we are eh? lol

Becca
05-16-2008, 07:44 AM
I think you've seen only the bad side of humanity too long, J.D. Everyone everywere, every speicies is by definition lazy, greedy and self-interested. Law of nature and evolution demands that we be, or we end up being eaten by something else that is.

I've traveled and lived in other places. And I still ended up living within 50 miles of were I was born. I just like it here. It has enough of the small town I can feel comfortable, but is close enough to everything else to be convenient. It's a great place to raise kids to have the kind of values I personnally value and I can actually afford to buy a home here. The schools aren't the greatest, but I am more than capable of making sure my kids get the mental stimulation they need.

David Jamieson
05-16-2008, 10:11 AM
I think you've seen only the bad side of humanity too long, J.D. Everyone everywere, every speicies is by definition lazy, greedy and self-interested. Law of nature and evolution demands that we be, or we end up being eaten by something else that is.

I've traveled and lived in other places. And I still ended up living within 50 miles of were I was born. I just like it here. It has enough of the small town I can feel comfortable, but is close enough to everything else to be convenient. It's a great place to raise kids to have the kind of values I personnally value and I can actually afford to buy a home here. The schools aren't the greatest, but I am more than capable of making sure my kids get the mental stimulation they need.

I am not certain if it is so much good or bad as much as it is simply the way it is.

I don't despise people for being what they are, I simply observe that laziness, greediness and self interest are driving factors in pretty much everyones life. They have to be for us to survive I suppose. Or so it seems. Altruism is quite uncommon as is upright behaviours and righteousness on the whole. This is why it is so refreshing to see when it does occur. In which case, this is demonstrative of not only rareness of these traits, but also demonstrative of how we view these traits (uprightness, altruism and righteousness). We view them with some kind of wonder as if it weer beyond many of us to act in this way...which of course is simply not true.

anyway, does this thread have anything to do with that recent book by the dude who is pondering this very subject?

does he ever mention the lazy, greedy. self interested angle? :)