PDA

View Full Version : FMA and jeet kune do kwoons

chen zhen
09-27-2001, 07:20 PM
If a jeet kune do school says that it is philipino martials arts-based, what styles would you expect the school to emphasize?(other than kali/arnis/escrima for obvious reasons) _

apoweyn
09-27-2001, 08:30 PM
Any or all of the styles that Dan Inosanto has brought into his program would be fair game, I expect.

Savate, silat, bando, BJJ, krabi krabong, muay thai, etc.

Generally, a JKD-FMA lineage is associated with Inosanto or Richard Bustillo.

Stuart B.

chen zhen
09-29-2001, 06:53 PM
Bando is burmese-style boxing right? and krabi-krabong is an ancient thai weapons style, correct?
these are some pretty exotic styles they are emphasizing. sounds cool. i'll check out a FMA-JKD school out soon.

Tvebak
09-29-2001, 09:20 PM
Im going to check out a JKDschool tomorrow after capoeira, which one is it you are talking about?

apoweyn
09-30-2001, 03:30 PM
chen zhen,

Yeah, that's basically right. Krabi krabong is thai weaponry. And bando is burmese martial arts. Not just boxing though. They have different terms for different aspects of the art, if I'm not mistaken. I can't remember specifically what they call the kickboxing aspect of the art. I'm sure there are other more knowledgeable people here though.

Bando actually uses empty hand, weaponry, the whole bit. Weapons include short stick, staff, kukri. Instructors are, if I'm not mistaken, required to train with the pistol as well. At the very least, strongly encouraged.

I don't know how much of any given JKD school's curriculum will be made up of what arts, mind you. Depends on the instructor, I think. For Burton Richardson, perhaps it's more silat. For Larry Hartsell, more wrestling. Etc.

I hope that helps.

Stuart B.

chen zhen
10-04-2001, 08:30 PM
When you have tried it, tell me if it was any good. and then give me the address! (Drooling)

well, i meant the JKD school in the yellow pages that says it is FMA-related. but if there is any other schools then let me know. :)

Tvebak
10-04-2001, 11:05 PM
I tried the one out in svanemøllehallen, seemed nice...you can find info on www.martialarts.dk (http://www.martialarts.dk)
The training was serious but in a friendly atmosphere.

chen zhen
10-06-2001, 06:51 PM
Can you tell me what days and time of the day they train? and is there any type of clothes you have to wear, training shoes etc?

Tvebak
10-06-2001, 11:52 PM
Monday and...what is it called...onsdag? 20:00-21:30 løstsiddende tøj.

chen zhen
10-12-2001, 07:44 PM
i just saw it's website, looked interesting. but it did'nt look like it was the FMA-place i have heard of. or is it?

Tvebak
10-13-2001, 11:58 AM
they do some stickfighting, but i dont think its one of their main things.