PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Spasm Recovery Tips?

houstonwriter.c
09-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Ever have a muscle spasm in your back from excessive training? Any tips for speeding recovery?

Cheers,

William Dylan Powell

BaguaGoblin
09-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Is it still effecting you? Or while a spasm is occurring?

Becca
09-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Not that my workouts are anywhere near as intense as yours, but for a while I had a problem with back cramps and spasms under similar circumstances. A trainer I very much respected suggested the following back release to help stop the spasms as they were happening and also to work on reducing the frequency and severity of future attacks. Just a series of yoga poses done kind of slow but as fluidly as possible:

child's pose > cobra > upward facing dog > downward facing dog > downward facing cat > upward facing cat > back to child's pose.

Looks about like what some TCMA schools would call a reverse cat's arch push-up, except the focus is not on anything but elongating and stretching the core, back, and shoulders.
This is the post I made in this thread. (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47653&page=4)

houstonwriter.c
09-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Cool; thanks. Working with a Physical Terrorist right now, staying hydrated. Heat. Massage. Much improvement. Doc says I'll be back at the Kwoon in four weeks. Awesome considering I couldn't stand, walk or drive 10 days ago.

As an aside, if you loved Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, you'll also love the muscle relaxant cyclobenzaprine.

I have no medical background, but I'm pretty sure the logic goes like this: since the pill puts you in a Matrix-like unresponsive not-world like a 16-hour snooze button, you don't really notice your back.

I could only take about a fourth of what he prescribed; otherwise I would have been a walking audition for Trainspotting II whose hobbies include power drooling and cleaning the berber carpet with my forehead.

William Dylan Powell

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-29-2007, 10:39 PM
contrast showers (ice bath/hot tube would be even better).

and beer.

lots of both. espeically beer.