PDA

View Full Version : Speed accuracy or power?

Shadow Skill
09-24-2007, 10:23 AM
which do you think is the most important. True all of these factors help make great Martial Artists. but if you cold only have one of these attributes what would it be and why

MasterKiller
09-24-2007, 10:25 AM
The most successful old west gunfighters were not the fastest ones, they were the ones that took time to aim accurately.

SPJ
09-24-2007, 10:37 AM
I voted for accuracy or exactness.

do things/movements the right way all the time.

power and speed can only be gained by doing things right and practice over time.

--

:)

Ben Gash
09-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah, accuracy, good timing can make up for a defficiency in the other two.

Judge Pen
09-24-2007, 11:39 AM
To what degree? Accuracy is great, but I think people are assuming that one will still have enough power to actually cause damage. Example: the accurate old west gunslinger was still shooting a .44 caliber! But a shot-gun may pack more of a wallop without the need to be as accurate.

I vote power because a strong well-conditioned fighter can overcome a lack of technical accuracy.

If power and speed were equal, then accuarcy would be the no-brainer.

Judge Pen
09-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Accuracy, speed and power in that order.

Simple physics says that force(power) equals mass times acceleration. So speed is a necessary function of force.

Let me ask it this way? Which of the following would you prefer:

1. The accuracy of a martial arts master, but the speed and power of an 8 year old child.

2. The speed of a martial arts master, but the power and accuracy of an 8 year old child.

3. The Power of a martial arts master, but the speed and accuracy of an 8 year old child.

sanjuro_ronin
09-24-2007, 12:04 PM
If you can figure out how you can have power without speed, let me know :p

Judge Pen
09-24-2007, 12:07 PM
If you can figure out how you can have power without speed, let me know :p

Internal power, grasshopper.

sanjuro_ronin
09-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Internal power, grasshopper.

Ah, I see, though never seen slow fa jing...I guess internal = gas.

David Jamieson
09-24-2007, 12:35 PM
power... ...

sanjuro_ronin
09-24-2007, 12:41 PM
power... ...

Maybe because power is a direct result of speed and accuracy ?

Sneaky ninja...;)

Lucas
09-24-2007, 01:29 PM
this is really tough.

as the question posed by JP, I would choose the speed of a master. Velocity has its own force, so even without much power physical power, I would still distribute as much force as my speed is worth, assuming i am still able to have correct structure and alignment.

even an eight year old has the accuracy to hit someone in the eye....

speed would give power on its own, not full, but it will be more than just that of an eight year old concidering velocity.

Dragonzbane76
09-24-2007, 01:43 PM
To what degree? Accuracy is great, but I think people are assuming that one will still have enough power to actually cause damage. Example: the accurate old west gunslinger was still shooting a .44 caliber! But a shot-gun may pack more of a wallop without the need to be as accurate.

Depending upon the range.... shot gun great in close quarter...revolver better at medium range... rifle best for max range.

comparing weapons like guns to hand to hand is a little over kill and not exactly accurate in depiction.

golden arhat
09-24-2007, 01:51 PM
i chose speed

so if need be

u can run the f@ck away !!

lollllll

Tomas
09-24-2007, 01:58 PM
None of these is important if you do not have a proper contract with clause #6.

Oso
09-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Accuracy is more important than power or speed but timing is more important than all of them.

It doesn't matter if you are early to catch the bus or late to catch the bus, you are still waiting for the bus. :D

Lucas
09-24-2007, 02:34 PM
None of these is important if you do not have a proper contract with clause #6.

rofl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GiggityZZ
09-24-2007, 02:42 PM
i would say speed.
if u are fast enuff to throw 2 punches before ur opponent throws 1, even with 50% accuracy, this is still better than being slow with 100% accuracy. i think

its hard to choose 1 attribute out of these 3. but speed over all. and then accuracy running close behind speed.

power is still a very important part of a martial artists. so dont overlook it.

David Jamieson
09-24-2007, 03:03 PM
a punch that causes a lot of shock no matter where it hits has power.

you can hit something fast and with good accuracy and not cause much shock unless you have power.

driving through is power.

I pick power still. lol

when you have all 3 together then it's a whole different thing. But they don't create each other so much as they augment each other. But still, in context to use, it's all wrapped into one.

Lucas
09-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Power is created out of the barrel of a gun?

David Jamieson
09-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Power is created out of the barrel of a gun?

power is dependent on how many grains of powder there are in the bullet in the barrel. ;P

Judge Pen
09-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Accuracy is more important than power or speed but timing is more important than all of them.

It doesn't matter if you are early to catch the bus or late to catch the bus, you are still waiting for the bus. :D

My 1 year old is accurate as hell. Her little heel fits right in the eye socket: Thankfully, she lacks the power to do any real damage.

I agree with timing, but it wasn't one of the options!!! You have to be cute and pick the option that wasnt' available. :D

SPJ
09-24-2007, 09:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDuc1WoIl-s&NR=1

jet li slowed down to 'normal" time/speed.

he was speaking chin glish.

:D

David Jamieson
09-25-2007, 07:07 AM
if we look at long power, short power, falling power and rising power, most of the juice in these besides time and pressure has to do with intention and ...well chi, or internal power.

acceleration of mass does increase force, but if you don't have much mass, then don't expect a lot of force to come out of your fast punches.

It's still power for me and the ways to acquire it are myriad.

everything from lifting, to structural exercises, to breath work and so on and so on.

power development is key to success in martial application and study.

AJM
09-25-2007, 09:05 AM
I consider timing a componant of accuracy.

Becca
09-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Speed. You get going fast enough, they get flustered and let a hole open up. A powerful kick don't do much if it's slow enough to be avioded. ditto for acurate strikes. And while an acurate block is great, it won't get you far if it's slow.

That being said, speed is also not much help if you can't hit the broad side of a barn. Though there is some definant value to it if you hit like a girl.:D

Lucas
09-25-2007, 11:13 AM
I consider timing a componant of accuracy.

accurate timing also requires you to know your own speed impeccably....

sanjuro_ronin
09-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Wonder where the idea of power = slow comes from.
Perhaps there is a confusion between power and strength ?

Lucas
09-25-2007, 11:24 AM
Perhaps there is a confusion between power and strength ?

i always thought speed and force = power.....

sanjuro_ronin
09-25-2007, 11:30 AM
i always thought speed and force = power.....

And you though correct, power is explosive, can't have it without speed.

Power is the culmination of everything on the poll, hence is the correct answer.

A faster strike has more power
An accurate strike has more power
Power is a fast, accurate strike with mass behind it.

Power is the key.

Becca
09-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Perhaps there is a confusion between power and strength ?Power doesn't meen slow if it's done correctly.

Strength, IMO, has very little to do with power. A little wimpy kid can have a powerful kick. But a powerful kick does not work 100% of the time. A fast one does, if you use it right.

Not as in "I can throw more per second" but rather, "I can throw a good one in the blink of an eye." You don't need it to be a "killing" kick. Just throw 'em fast with as little telegraphing as possible and mix em' up with some other stuff. Burry them in a combo, what ever. Sooner or latter, your oponant will start to flinch every time it looks like you're going to kick. Viala! an opening you can trick them into giving you any time you want it.