PDA

View Full Version : Sex and Chi

MightyB
09-27-2007, 08:42 AM
So, Sugar Ray Robinson used to say that his trainers liked him to abstain from sex for at least 3 weeks prior to a fight because sex weakens the legs. The YMAA Book on Qi Gong has a similar statement about sex, well- at least semen retention- stating that every time you know you, um... er--- basically you release a bit of your original chi- and that a big part of Qi Gong is transforming that stuff into a life-sustaining elixir. Now my high school track coach used to say that there were two modes of thought on this topic. (A) that it's ok because you'll be more relaxed and the endorphines help you through the pain (B) the release will weaken your legs... his resolution was that it was up to the athlete to decide what they wanted to do.

So- here it is, what are your thoughts? Should you abstain to conserve chi, or it doesn't really matter because chi hippies are full of crap. Thoughts and responses?

-

MasterKiller
09-27-2007, 09:02 AM
I try to avoid it before class. I have no aggression for hours afterwards.

Golden Arms
09-27-2007, 09:34 AM
For Hung and all that low movement, I definately notice the difference between abstaining and not. It can still be done, but doesn't feel nearly the same to me.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-27-2007, 09:43 AM
I am allways stronger after sex.

Xiao3 Meng4
09-27-2007, 10:09 AM
The question is, does the man who's just had sex have the same need to impress the ring girls as the man who hasn't had sex for 3 weeks?

Lucas
09-27-2007, 10:11 AM
I try to avoid it before class. I have no aggression for hours afterwards.

same here. i get really relaxed but i can definately feel a change in my energy output. now....before work is a whole nother story...if at all possible thats a must.

sanjuro_ronin
09-27-2007, 10:12 AM
I am a married man, what's this "sex" thing you all are speaking of ?

Lucas
09-27-2007, 10:16 AM
I am a married man, what's this "sex" thing you all are speaking of ?

thats too bad for you :o

shoulda married a nympho with morals

sanjuro_ronin
09-27-2007, 10:17 AM
thats too bad for you :o

shoulda married a nympho with morals

Oh, you know Tanya do you?

Lucas
09-27-2007, 10:18 AM
haha. possibly, i do know of A tanya...

sanjuro_ronin
09-27-2007, 10:20 AM
haha. possibly, i do know of A tanya...

The one I know can suck start a 747 :D

Lucas
09-27-2007, 10:34 AM
The one I know can suck start a 747 :D

hmm, not sure whether to be impressed or scared.

sanjuro_ronin
09-27-2007, 10:35 AM
hmm, not sure whether to be impressed or scared.

Both bro, both.

mantis108
09-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Well, my friend, there's sex and there's making love (kinda women thing) ... ;)

The point is can you focus and would you get distracted by emotional involvement (making love) or addicted to sexual act (non emotional but physically draining)?

Once again, use in moderation. :D BTW, your baby fat content usually replenishes in 24 hours if you are health and young.

Mantis108

SanHeChuan
09-27-2007, 01:13 PM
I think you only get the after sex benefits right after sex and up to a few hours, so unless you want to rub one out in the locker room right before the big fight, I'd go with option 'B'. Also you get better after sex benefits if you abstain for a while before you release. So if you did it every day you wouldn’t get much of a benefit when you need it.

There is also a difference between have sex with yourself and someone else. You can feed off of the energy of a good sexual partner, and counteract some of that Chi drain.

Abstaining periodically does leave more energized, so instead of an every day thing, I’d go with a once a week thing. If you go too long you’re likely to get addlebrained.

These are ofcourse all just personal opinions and do not reflect Chinese medicine or thought.

sanjuro_ronin
09-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Its a muscle, like any other, it needs regular exercise, but not so much it gets over trained.

stonewarrior67
09-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Some People React Differently.
I Wont Go Near My Wife The Day Before Class...if I Do My Legs Shake Horribly During Stances And They Are Weak For Everything Else And I Feel Off.
My Friend Has Laughed At Me For Years As He Enjoys Relations Up To The Day Of Class And He Says That He Cannot Tell The Difference One Way Or The Other. I Never Liked Him.
Certain Chi Kung Exercises Like Iron Body, Shirt Or Vest Whatever You'd Like To Call It Requires You To Abstain The First 100 Days.
Sw

The Married Guy Who Asked What Sex Was Made Me Chuckle!!!!

sanjuro_ronin
09-27-2007, 01:18 PM

I find no humour in this :D

KC Elbows
09-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Some People React Differently.
I Wont Go Near My Wife The Day Before Class...if I Do My Legs Shake Horribly During Stances And They Are Weak For Everything Else And I Feel Off.
My Friend Has Laughed At Me For Years As He Enjoys Relations Up To The Day Of Class And He Says That He Cannot Tell The Difference One Way Or The Other. I Never Liked Him.
Certain Chi Kung Exercises Like Iron Body, Shirt Or Vest Whatever You'd Like To Call It Requires You To Abstain The First 100 Days.
Sw

Is this a title?

bodhitree
09-27-2007, 03:15 PM
I find no humour in this :D

as another married man I can say me niether

GreenCloudCLF
09-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Fu Pow splits the difference and just gets snowballed...

Mr Punch
09-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Is this a title?ROFL! :D :D :D

BTW, I'm married and we still have great sex!

As for the sex before a fight thing, of course everybody's different!
With me it's a time thing. I always feel sleepy in the afternoon between 3:30-4:30 so if we bump uglies then I'm really ****ed!

Chosen-frozen
09-27-2007, 05:50 PM
I`ve never noticed a difference one way or the other when fighting. But in Chi Kung circles I`ve always heard the the sexual release temporarily weakened the kidneys and lower back (which is strengthened by the kidneys). I didn`t buy into until I started Iron Palm training and had to abstain for the first 100 days. Lower back pain that had bothered me pretty much constantly for years disappeared almost overnight.

Silly me, I thought as a newlywed I`d be getting it more often. When theory meets reality the results are never pretty. (SIGH)

Hau Tien
09-28-2007, 06:31 AM
Lots of different people do different things for this one. I'm just about to step into the cage for my first time and decided I would look up what most people do...

Turns out that sex actually increases the amount of testosterone you produce and increases the amount in your blood. I'd say that's pretty sound evidence that sex before a fight can be a good thing.

I don't think it's the sex before a fight that causes fatigue in a lot of cases... I think it's the being up all night partying before a fight that does it ;)

mkriii
09-28-2007, 06:34 AM
Does anyone know of the old chi exercise where you exchange chi with your partner by having intercourse? I remember reading something about this a long time ago but don't remember the specifics of it other than you exchange chi while having sex.

BruceSteveRoy
09-28-2007, 06:52 AM
there was actually somehting about this on discovery health the other day and they said that there is no conclusive evidence to prove that sex beforehand diminishes performance. however, i am in the no hanky panky before competing mindset as well. it might be psychosomatic but i do notice a difference in both my energy level and the endurance in my legs. but even if it is psychosomatic it doesnt change that i experience them adn it effects my performance. good thing i am married so i dont have to worry about it :o.

SPJ
09-28-2007, 07:42 AM
eat, drink, sex, rest/sleep, fight -- everything in moderation.

to know the chi or leg strength before and after

just assume a low horse stance--

you would know the difference?

:D

sanjuro_ronin
09-28-2007, 07:59 AM
there was actually somehting about this on discovery health the other day and they said that there is no conclusive evidence to prove that sex beforehand diminishes performance. however, i am in the no hanky panky before competing mindset as well. it might be psychosomatic but i do notice a difference in both my energy level and the endurance in my legs. but even if it is psychosomatic it doesnt change that i experience them adn it effects my performance. good thing i am married so i dont have to worry about it :o.

I would think that a little hank panky with the wife/GF/significant other, woudl be just fine, as compared to an all out Caligula-like orgy, which many not be in ones best interest ;)

TaichiMantis
09-28-2007, 09:34 AM
So If I (a woman) have sex before a fight I will be receiveing "chi" and can actually fight better...right?:eek::p:

mkriii
09-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Are you the same taichimantis from the dragons list?

Lucas
09-28-2007, 10:07 AM
So If I (a woman) have sex before a fight I will be receiveing "chi" and can actually fight better...right?:eek::p:

only if its unprotected and you plan on trying to concieve.....

TaichiMantis
09-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Are you the same taichimantis from the dragons list?

Yes mak/mark, its me :p

SanHeChuan
09-28-2007, 01:54 PM
My Legs only get shaky when I have Sex In Horse Stance. :p

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-28-2007, 03:58 PM
My Legs only get shaky when I have Sex In Horse Stance. :p

thats only cause my grandma gained weight.

Shaolin Wookie
09-29-2007, 05:45 AM
Personally, I find it useful to engage in sex before fighting, but then having to pull out half-way through because your girl has "lost the mood" or wasn't in it in the first place. You'll be frustrated for good week or so, and have more aggression than you ever thought possible, and you'll punch harder than you've ever punched in your entire life.

Shaolin Wookie
09-29-2007, 05:49 AM
I'd have to imagine that you'd get the same results if you boned a tranny, but only found out afterwards.

Just look at those tranny episodes on Springer.

Jow_Ga
09-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Well, at least Qi regenerates...I hope...

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-01-2007, 02:18 PM
man ... last week i practically pleaded for sex every single night. not dropping hints mind you .... outright begging. then on saturday she comes home from work and wants to do it right before im supposed to go deadlift a relatively heavy 5 set. and she knew it ... she was coming to lift with me. the funniest part is that she actually seemed a little bothered that i turned it down. i wonder if women do that kinda thing on purpose.

Lucas
10-01-2007, 02:30 PM
man ... last week i practically pleaded for sex every single night. not dropping hints mind you .... outright begging. then on saturday she comes home from work and wants to do it right before im supposed to go deadlift a relatively heavy 5 set. and she knew it ... she was coming to lift with me. the funniest part is that she actually seemed a little bothered that i turned it down. i wonder if women do that kinda thing on purpose.

wonder no further my friend.

of course they do