PDA

View Full Version : Hung Gar China

thewutangmonk
09-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Anyone been to the Yee's Hung gar school in China?

Lau family school in HK ?

Or any other Hung Gar schools in China?

Lama Pai Sifu
09-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Been to both, what would you like to know??

Laukarbo
09-28-2007, 01:49 AM
Anyone been to Lau family school in HK ?

yeah Im from the Lau School learned and learn there..

visit my youtube page..many videos there..or just ask what u wanna know
www.youtube.com/FrankyLau

:D

Lama Pai Sifu
09-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Officially, I've never seen Frank Yees students train in Toi San, although I have been to the school. I don't know what their training is like, but I have seen two of his students from Toi San perfom in Hong Kong and they had good skill in their forms. FY's students in NY/NJ are well known and you can easily see tournament footage of them or see a class for yourself. I have watched a class while visiting Sifu Pedro Yee in NJ, and I enjoyed it. You'd probably have a hard time finding a much better traditional kung-fu school to train in.

I have been to the Lau Family school several times over the last few years. Sifu Mark Houghton owns/runs the school. Lau Kar-Leung is M.Houghton's Sifu for about 20 years, although he was an accomplished Sifu even before they met. The school is a no frills, hard core training facilility; if you want fancy bathrooms and matts and pads - you won't find them there. You will find stumps, logs, bamboo, wooden dummies and other training apparatai as seen in Lau's Kung-Fu movies. Mark and I had a dissagreement in the past and don't speak as of now, but his KF is top notch. But one word of advice - don't make the trip to train with him unless you are prepared to work and work hard. If you can stick it out, you'll learn a lot from him, he's very competent. You'll probably also get the opportunity to meet some of the movie starts of Shaw Brothers fame...

Best of luck. If you have the opportunity to train with both groups at some point, I'd recommend it. If you are into Hung Kuyhnn, these are the two places to go.

Eddie
09-28-2007, 07:26 AM
i want an email address for Mark Ho. Can you please pm me with his contact details. Even telephone number would be good

Laukarbo
09-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Eddie check ur pm:D

Lama Pai Sifu,
I think he will like u again once he read this...:D

nothing is forever

Eddie
09-29-2007, 02:33 AM
thanks dude