PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Claw?

thewutangmonk
09-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Anyone know of any schools teaching Eagle claw in China?

Any reviews?

Thoughts?

B-Rad
09-27-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't think there's any northern style eagle claw masters left in China. All I've ever come across is modern wushu eagle claw (which has only a few techniques with a lot of play acting) and variations of that form (Shaolin monks and Emei eagle claw forms). Plum Pub has a vcd series on Shaolin "Eagle Sect" (NOT the traditional Eagle claw system):

http://www.plumpub.com/sales/vcd3/coll_SLeagle.htm

Haven't seen it myself, but the vcds are cheap enough that it might be worth checking out if you're interested in seeing what the system is like.

B-Rad
09-27-2007, 10:32 AM
I've heard of a Southern Eagle Claw system, but have no idea what it's like or where you could find it.

B-Rad
09-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Actually, it looks like Lily Lau has a branch school in China:

Grandmaster Lily Lau currently is opening the Latin America Headquarter in Puerto Rico. She wants to continue spreading the real Eagle Claw techniques throughout all Latin America. She also has schools worldwide: United States, Brazil, England, Hong Kong, Greece, and China. Master Lau travels frequently to these schools where she presents seminars and workshops yearly.

http://www.lilylaueagleclaw.com/lilyinfo.html

Should try contacting them if you're interested.

Bruce W Sims
09-27-2007, 11:28 AM
I may have misunderstood, but I was of a mind that Lily Lau essentially "inherited" her father's MA business and promotes her father's particular take on Eagle Claw with the support of his former students. I have no idea if this has any implication for the nature of the system that she offers.

I also understand that one Leung Shum also offers instruction in Eagle Claw but know nothing of him either save for his book published through Tuttle Publishing of Vermont.

Fact is that Eagle Claw was much more desireable as a skill set prior to the consolidation of CHIN NA techniques at the turn of the 19th Century. The idea of complimenting one's striking and kicking with subduing and submission techniques made Eagle Claw very attractive. Since the time of the Chinese Republic ( about 1911), however, CHIN NA seems to have come into its own almost as a separate art of 72 methods rather than the former adjunct to Boxing Styles.

Now it seems that grappling has gone a step even beyond that and we have SAN SHOU competitions.

Time marches on, ne?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

sean_stonehart
09-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Go to Hong Kong for sure or Macau maybe. Find a Jing Mo school & you should find Ying Jow Pai.

ngokfei
09-27-2007, 08:05 PM
this site has alot of info on the style and teachers from various lineages around the world

www.eagleclawkungfusociety.20m.com

the system was formulated in Xiong County Baoding City Hebei Province

The liu village is just like the Chen Village for Taichi Lots of instructors there.

In the capital Beijing is sifu Guo

Chosen-frozen
09-27-2007, 09:47 PM
If I recall correctly, Leung Shum`s teacher in Hong Kong was a disciple of Lau Fat Mang (Lili Lau`s father) so they should both be Ying Jow Pai. Since both come from Hong Kong you should be able to find schools there. And since Lau was on the board of the Ching Mo schools foralong time most branches should offer instruction in it. In Hong Kong you may even be able to get that instruction in English.

There are actually 108 chin na in ying jow pai, not 72. The first 72 are taught first because they are considered safer, generally speaking. The remaining36 are generally considered lethal or at least permanently damaging so they are generally taught later or reserved people in the inner circle so to speak.

NorthernShaolin
09-27-2007, 11:03 PM
Well, actually Leung Shum`s teacher was Ng Wai Nung who learned from CHEN ZI ZHENG - (CHAN TZI CHING).

The connection between the two is from Lau Sing Yau.

Lau Sing Yau passed this knowledge to his third son Lau Kai Man and his nephew Chan Tsi Cheng (Chan Tzi Ching). Lau Kai Man passed the Eagle Claw Kung Fu to his nephew LAU FAT MANG

Wong Ying Home
09-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Ng Wai Nung was actually a student of Chen Tzi Ching and Lau Fat Mang, as stated in Lau Fat Mangs book Dai Hong Kuen.

Ng Wai Nung learned initially form Chen Tzi Ching at Shanghai Ching Wu, when Lau Fat Mang took over the teaching there Ng Wai Nung continued his studies with Lau Fat Mang.

Ng Wai Nung was not a disciple of Lau Fat Mang as far as I am aware.

ngokfei
09-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Ng Wai Nung (Wu Wei Neng) trained under Chan Tzi Ching (Chenzizheng) for 5 years.

After Chan left to return to his village for family reasons Lau Fat Man (LiuFaMeng) took over the position at the Chin Woo.

Ng was appointed the position of Instructor and assisted LFM as well as continuing his studies.

Have no idea if he underwent a Baisi ceremony under LFM. All I know is that he had a high position in the LFM organization along with some other senior students who also had been students of Chan as well. This can be seen from group photos with him seated in the front row.

I also have a photo of Ng Wai Nung at a banquet seated with Sek Kin, LFM's Widow and Zhang Jung Ting.

Sal Canzonieri
10-02-2007, 12:08 PM
As an aside to a related topic.

Seems that Liu DeKuan learned BOTH Yue Fei Jia Quan from Liu Shijun of Xiong County, Hebei
AND before that he learned LiuHe Quan (6 Harmony) from Tian Chungui
and Li Fenggang of Cangzhou.

Through Liu DeKuan maybe is why people mixed up together Yue Fei Jia Quan and LiuHe Quan with Yue Fei being thought the teacher of both styles.

ngokfei
10-02-2007, 01:37 PM
sal

during your research have you come across information regarding Fanziquan of Shandong Province?

Sal Canzonieri
10-02-2007, 05:29 PM
sal

during your research have you come across information regarding Fanziquan of Shandong Province?

No, actually.

Just North and North West China.

There has to be another much older line from south of Henan province.

Chosen-frozen
10-02-2007, 10:38 PM
I stand corrected guys. It`s not my style, so I`m not up on the history.Thanks for keeping me honest.