PDA

View Full Version : How much do you charge for off-site classes?

Oso
09-29-2007, 04:05 AM
I'm working an opportunity to do a weekly class at an addiction recovery center and need to figure out how much to charge per class.

In town the tai chi people get $10 bucks a class per person to do a tai chi or chi gong class at say, the hospital.

This recovery center is a 'for profit' facility run by a pretty major national company.

I'm going to have about 30 minutes of travel time involved, round trip and probably 1.5 hours on site for a one hour class so basically 2 hours of my time. I feel like I need to get $60 an hour to cover myself.

thoughts?

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-29-2007, 05:24 AM
How many students will you have?

Oso
09-29-2007, 05:47 AM
don't know yet. I'll be going by next week to demo for the director and staff.

the director is a former student of mine as well as a BB in Tracy's Kempo.

Shaolin Wookie
09-29-2007, 05:54 AM
7 dollars. That's what I paid for off-site classes in some art, I forget which.

It's less threatening than 10.

I'm just posting this for a student's perspective. You'd be surprised how much that 3 dollar difference makes in the eyes of a destitute student.

Oso
09-29-2007, 06:01 AM
i hear ya. in this case the student's wouldn't be paying but the company.

I usually sell myself short in instances like this and don't want to do it.

an extra 50 a week would go a long way to keeping the doors open.

Shaolin Wookie
09-29-2007, 06:34 AM
i hear ya. in this case the student's wouldn't be paying but the company.

I usually sell myself short in instances like this and don't want to do it.

an extra 50 a week would go a long way to keeping the doors open.

BTW, 10 dollars is by no means unreasonable for 1.5 hours.;) Even for community work.

GreenCloudCLF
09-29-2007, 06:49 AM
You have 2 options, IMO.

You can charge the company per student...$12-15 I think is fair.

Or you can just charge a bulk fee - $80 - $100...don't you think you are worth $40 - $50 per hour?

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-29-2007, 06:57 AM
All I do is off site work. I generally charge my students $10.00 to $12.00 per class, and pay a rent of $4.00-to $5.00 a student.

Oso
09-29-2007, 07:46 AM
well, it would only be a 1 hour class but probably another 1 hour of logistical time so that's where the 2 hours came from.

I certainly think I'm worth 40-50 and hour which is why my initial thought was 60.

this is the place

http://www.fourcirclesrecovery.com/why.html

again, they are not non-profit or community based but part of a larger medical group

definitely not non profit
http://www.crchealth.com/investor-relations.asp

so, there's no reason to discount for them as I see it.

I was just trying to survey the field here.

GCCLF: you're in a major metro area, right? 80-100 is going rate there I assume? Asheville isn't that big but the cost of living is comparable to cities much bigger so I think 80-100 would not be a bad place for me to start. thanks.

GreenCloudCLF
09-29-2007, 08:06 AM
well, it would only be a 1 hour class but probably another 1 hour of logistical time so that's where the 2 hours came from.

I certainly think I'm worth 40-50 and hour which is why my initial thought was 60.

this is the place

http://www.fourcirclesrecovery.com/why.html

again, they are not non-profit or community based but part of a larger medical group

definitely not non profit
http://www.crchealth.com/investor-relations.asp

so, there's no reason to discount for them as I see it.

I was just trying to survey the field here.

GCCLF: you're in a major metro area, right? 80-100 is going rate there I assume? Asheville isn't that big but the cost of living is comparable to cities much bigger so I think 80-100 would not be a bad place for me to start. thanks.

Always charge YOUR time, not class time. If I had to drive 1 hour each way, teach an hour class, and hang around for an hour of paperwork and admin stuff...they would be paying me for 4 hours. Every hour you are out of your school is lost revenue you need to make up.

And yes I am in NY.

Oso
09-29-2007, 08:51 AM
check...that's my 2 hour figure. I charge $45 for private lessons so $90 fits right between your 80 & 100.

do you reduce the price per class if you get a decently long contract? Like if they want to contract me for 12 classes or something like that?

thanks for taking the time to reply.

GreenCloudCLF
09-29-2007, 09:21 AM
You could do something like that, ONLY as long as they pay in full BEFORE you start teaching.

So say they want you to do 10 classes @ $90. cut a 10% discount. ($810 up front)

And then give them a bigger discount for a larger number, like 25% if they pay in full for 30 classes ($2025 right in your pocket before you even begin) And always hammer the benefits provided in martial arts don't happen overnight...it helps land the bigger packages.

Oso
09-29-2007, 10:35 AM
ok...sounds good. thanks.

mambi
09-29-2007, 06:48 PM
agree with with Green Cloud. My wife runs a buisness and always sells herself short. charge travel time ect.. Aint no buisness person but if your good at what you do and they want to do it theyll pick up on it and pay you what its worth .You know how it goes with the initial enthusiasm for most but you might get some to come ovewr after they RE OUT AND STICK WITH IT.. 12AN HOUR PLUS TRAVEL IS MY GUESS(MINIMUM)

ngokfei
09-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Each situation is different and you have to ask yourself some questions:

why am I doing it?

For the Money, to get Recognition and expant your PR or ......

For Money:

then the average rate is $100 per hour with traveling costs and materials.

Recognition/PR:

then a small token of about $50 per hour and you eat the traveling costs

Since its a "For Profit" organization then a combination of both would suffice. See how they can have this played up in the Local Media.

If the program/course is a success then you have to then re- analyze it to see if you should charge more etc.

hope this helped
eric