PDA

View Full Version : fut sao (buddha hand)

Aeturnal
09-30-2007, 09:58 PM
anyone know anythin about fut sao or buddhand hand and how its different than other lineages of wing chun?

FlyingCrane
10-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Fut Sao Wing Chun was introduced in NYC chinatown by Henry Leung back in the 60s.

I studied with one of his students for a while in the 80s. I heard several stories as to the style's origin. One story was that Henry had learned it from a monk that was nicknamed "Nine Finger Buddha" (the monk had supposedly lost a finger during a sword fight with someone), and that this version of Wing Chun was the original internal version of the art that was at one time only taught to temple elders.

This Wing Chun is more soft and fluid than any other Wing Chun style that I have seen, and places a lot of emphasys on soft, internal power, and "snake like" hands. There is also a fourth form in their curriculum that I have never seen in any other Wing Chun style called "Siu Baat Gwa", which means "The Little Octagon", and teaches footwork that is very "Ba Qua" like in nature.

All in all, I thought it was a great style to practice. If I still lived near anyone that was teaching it, I would resume studying it for sure.

You can learn a lot more about this style at the following link:

http://www.futsaoyongchunkuen.com/

Aeturnal
10-01-2007, 12:58 PM
sounds interesting....but again more of the internal vs. external thing...ill think ill check it out since i live in nyc

bamboo bug
10-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Check it out...

Fut Sao Wing Chun Kuen
20th ave & 74st Bensonhurst
Saint Dominics Tues.&Thurs
347 495-6992 James Cama Sifu
www.futsaoyongchunkuen.com