PDA

View Full Version : Seminar Update: Hung Fa Yi in Texas

BRTX
10-01-2007, 08:30 PM
We are pleased to announce that Grandmaster Gee will be doing a seminar in Houston, TX.

The topic will be and extension of the seminar that was in Brazil earlier this month. The topic will be on Hung Fa Yi Kui Sao using Tin Ya Dei understanding on anti grappling and ground fighting. Also what is the difference between wrestling and anti grapping? This will be Grandmaster Gees first time to Houston Texas.
We are all looking foward to this. Don't miss it.

Dates, times and location:

Public Seminar
Saturday Oct 20th
10am-5pm

Disciples/Instructor Candidates only
Sunday Oct 20th
All day.

Hung Fa Kwoon of Houston
2217 Hwy 6 South
Houston, TX 77077

The school is located on the West side of Houston. If needed, there are many hotels in the area. If flying in there are 2 airports either one is fine. Please contact Sifu Brad Ryan for details on cost and lodging. If you are within the family don't worry about lodging. A plce to stay will be arranged.

Sifu Ryan can be contacted directly at 281 757 9862 or e-mailed at sifubrad@houston-martialarts.com

www.hfy108.com

Thank you.

Thank you.

Ultimatewingchun
10-02-2007, 01:48 AM
"The topic will be on Hung Fa Yi Kui Sao using Tin Ya Dei understanding on anti grappling and ground fighting." (BRTX)

***Now I know what kui sao is - but what does "Tin Ya Dei" translate into in English - and what exactly is it's meaning (ie.- what does it entail)?

CFT
10-02-2007, 04:30 AM
***Now I know what kui sao is - but what does "Tin Ya Dei" translate into in English - and what exactly is it's meaning (ie.- what does it entail)?There's a typo in there - it should read "Tin Yan Dei" - Heaven, Man & Earth. I'll leave the meaning to the HFYWCK folks.

Nick Forrer
10-02-2007, 04:44 AM
. Also what is the difference between wrestling and anti grapping?

Simply put, one works and one doesnt. 'Grappling' already encompasses the best ways to defend against grappling e.g. pummel, sprawl, shelf, ****zer, cross face, peeling grips, stiff arm etc. Dont waste time learning anti grappling from someone who doesnt know how to grapple in the first place.

JPinAZ
10-02-2007, 05:44 AM
There's a typo in there - it should read "Tin Yan Dei" - Heaven, Man & Earth. I'll leave the meaning to the HFYWCK folks.

You are correct. And I think the 'n' accidentaly was left off of Yan

osprey3883
10-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Nick/Mr Punch,
There is some discussion of the recent Brazil trip here-
http://www.hfy108.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15153&postcount=26
Funny enough the people from Brazil have a really good sense about what does and doesn't work against grappling, especially since many of them are currently training as grapplers....

Matt

Gary Collins
10-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Hello There

Its great to hear about the Seminar Sifu Ryan and I will be glad to be travelling over to join everyone for another lesson in the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun lineage. I have been reading the reports on the Brazil trip and they have been very interesting.

http://www.hfy108.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15153&postcount=26

Cheerio, Gary

www.hungfayiireland.com

nschmelzer
10-03-2007, 05:52 AM
I am speaking only for myself, and do not represent Hung Fa Yi or the Hung Fa Yi community. To those interested in trashing Hung Fa Yi on this thread or this forum, I suggest you go the closest Hung Fa Yi Kwoon and ask your questions in person. If you are close to Cincinnati - send me a private message and I can get you in touch with the Hung Fa Yi Kwoon in that city. Sifu Ryan was simply promoting an important seminar. If you are not interested - then why comment? He was not asking for snide little comments and "questions" that are nothing more than thinly veiled and sarcastic commentaries. Do you guys live a kung-fu life or punk life?

anerlich
10-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I gather the Brazilian HFY students that study Luta Livre are still studying that art along with HFY. There was no mention of leaving their crosstraining behind because of any cataclysmic revelation during the seminar.

Those guys are thus doing the same thing Victor, Nick, and I do, and what the big T admonishes and browbeats everyone, including those who have done it much longer than he has been talking about it, to do incessantly.

OTT claims aside (by WC or grappling substyles), we're all sort of on the same page then, as unappetising a prospect as that might be to some.

Savi
10-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Vic,
I don't question his experience in grappling, but I definitely call him on his experience with anti-grappling.

As for your question on Tin Yan Dei in relation to grappling, it is multi-layered and wouldn't do you much good to try and understand in depth through reading about it here. But if you are looking for food for thought, I'd recommend reading Marcelo's write ups on HFY108 in the meantime, since the material was also covered in Brazil and his posts are informative.

Ultimatewingchun
10-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Alright, I'll check out Marcelo.