PDA

View Full Version : Static holds

Egg fu young
10-02-2007, 11:47 AM
My Tai Chi teacher had us do alot of static holds during class. He had us do 60 second holds for the push-up and parallel squat. I started doing the same thing @ home with the chinup, dip, and roman chair thrown in also. It seems to be a great compliment after my 24 form and warm up. Anyone else do anything like this for a strength workout?

bodhitree
10-02-2007, 06:41 PM
What are your goals?

These exercises are not for 'strength' but more so for muscular endurance. Actual strength (maximum force) will come from shorter duration and higher intensity activities (e.g. lifting heavy weights), and you could gain speed strength through plyometrics and dynamic lifts (olympic).

If your goals are general fitness, these are good exercises. If your goals are to be able to hold low positions these would be good. They are not the best for strength IMO.

If you are interested in strength training there is a sticky thread at the top of this forum called 'strength training links' that has plenty of great information.

You may also want to look into conditioning routines, some good stuff on conditioning can be found at www.rossboxing.com and www.rosstraining.com
if you can't do the advanced exercises, don't worry, noone can when they start!

stricker
10-03-2007, 04:05 AM
in systema they do VERY slow push ups and squats etc too... i dont think the point is purely physical conditioning, the push up for example i think has to do with using the hand/wrist for striking, conditioning the bones and teaching alignment and body mechanics right through to the core...