PDA

View Full Version : Best Class ever...

xcakid
10-02-2007, 07:18 PM
I love a class where you break down your forms. First the Sifu would explain the primary application of each move then hidden application, then secondary or tertiary applications. Its always an eye opener to see hidden application and secondary application of each move. One form we were working on had a bunch of Chin Na in it. Although at first glance they looked a simple block punch application, after it is shown with Chin Na application, it really make a lot of sense. Then we get to pick a part of a form and interpret the application ourselves. Funny what people can come up with. Some come with the wildest application there is.

I love seeing open hand application of weapons as well. We also take an open hand form we already have and get handed a weapon and told to use it while doing that form. Really make you think.

Anyone else do their classes this way?? Or have learned this way in the past??

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-02-2007, 07:31 PM
This is pretty much how you should learn your forms in the first place. Only at the end, when you have gotten all the possible application there is, do you learn the actual sequence....well originally anyway.

xcakid
10-03-2007, 06:25 AM
This is pretty much how you should learn your forms in the first place. Only at the end, when you have gotten all the possible application there is, do you learn the actual sequence....well originally anyway.

Yep.

Although not many teach it that way. I have been fortunate enough have been associated with schools that taught this way. Although aside from Eagle Claw and my currently style, we pretty much just went with primary and hidden application. Never secondary and so on.

My currently style and when I was in Shaolin Kempo, we went fu rther by using our open hand forms with weapons.