PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat discouraged after sparring....

naja
10-03-2007, 04:30 PM
a guy much bigger than myself. It was light sparring, since I haven't been training very long. Still though I figured I would be a lot faster than this guy and would be able to get inside and connect some. Man was I ever wrong. We've been training for about the same amount of time, but this guy is easily 100lbs over me (mostly muscle too) and about a foot taller than me.

Did I have the wrong game plan or what?

Phrost
10-03-2007, 04:32 PM
a guy much bigger than myself. It was light sparring, since I haven't been training very long. Still though I figured I would be a lot faster than this guy and would be able to get inside and connect some. Man was I ever wrong. We've been training for about the same amount of time, but this guy is easily 100lbs over me (mostly muscle too) and about a foot taller than me.

Umm, size matters and anyone who tells you otherwise is generally selling you something Martial Arts-related.

It takes a significant amount of skill and athleticism to overcome a size advantage like that.

WinterPalm
10-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Umm, size matters and anyone who tells you otherwise is generally selling you something Martial Arts-related.

What does that even mean? The first part makes it seem like you would suggest a phony martial art or something and then you just say martial arts related... I don't get it?:confused:

That said, you need to learn how to overcome his size through your strengths. The best motto I can come up with, aside from the basic of "know thyself" is to do what you do better than what he does.
It takes a long time and often the times you get destroyed in sparring are some of the most inspirational and motivational.

Phrost
10-03-2007, 06:41 PM
What does that even mean? The first part makes it seem like you would suggest a phony martial art or something and then you just say martial arts related... I don't get it?:confused:

It's pretty self-evident. People who tell you size doesn't matter in a fight are generally selling you some garbage training or are themselves scrawny, nerdy Bruce Lee devotees who get stuffed into lockers and desperately want to believe you don't need strength and athleticism to be good at fighting.

Pk_StyLeZ
10-03-2007, 09:47 PM
It's pretty self-evident. People who tell you size doesn't matter in a fight are generally selling you some garbage training or are themselves scrawny, nerdy Bruce Lee devotees who get stuffed into lockers and desperately want to believe you don't need strength and athleticism to be good at fighting.

you dont
i wreslted people 50-200 pound heavier than me
and i took them down with ease
and they were never able to take me down
i weight 130 at the time
just have to know what you are doing
skills > weight

ShaolinWood
10-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Hi guys,
I think both are good points. Size does matter when your skill isn't developed to a certain level yet. Intimidation, sheer strength and advantage in reach can be a hard obstacle for any beginner or low-skilled fighter. It takes a while to desensitize and look past the threats.

Superior skill can indeed beat a bigger opponent, but it does take time. I've also met many small guys that tried martial arts for a while and after meeting someone in sparring left with the excuse that it doesn't work.

Martial arts does work, but it relies on the practitioner. If you're a fighter by nature you only need a little training to become a better fighter, where someone who isn't will need a lot more.

Don't be discouraged. Know your weaknesses and work on it. Keep sparring with bigger guys and train harder. There's NO martial art that will make you invincible in a short time (well you'll never be invincible) but if you feel it works for you keep at it. Train hard and see every defeat as a learning curve. (I know it sounds like Mr Miagi but believe me it's the only way)

Phrost
10-03-2007, 10:36 PM
you dont
i weight 130 at the time
skills > weight

AOLSpeak circa 1996 username and a burning hatred for the English language aside, you completely failed to comprehend what I wrote. Unless you meant to quote someone else, in another thread, on another planet or something.

You must have missed the part where I said:

It takes a significant amount of skill and athleticism to overcome a size advantage like that.

naja
10-04-2007, 05:36 AM
"It takes a significant amount of skill and athleticism to overcome a size advantage like that."

Yea, I think I already knew that in the back of my mind but it took something like this to really make me understand that size does matter to a certain extent.

I think the biggest problem I have with this is that I'm wanting to get into something like mantis that isn't kick heavy. I have fast hands, but I guess I didn't realize how hard it would be to get to someones head if they are so much larger than me.

bla.

sanjuro_ronin
10-04-2007, 05:49 AM
Size matters, HOW MUCH it matters depends on your skill level, like it was mentioned AND your game plan.

Reach matters a great deal in the striking arts, take thins from a 5-6 fighter :)

Some guys have arms longer than my legs !

Kicking is irrelevant to beating the size game, it actually plays in favour to the bigger, taller fighter, pretty obvious.

You wanna get IN on taller fighter, not stay outside where their reach advantage and size will count more.

Fast hands mean crap if you can't get in, you need good foot work to get in, you need to be able to move off his move, go to the outside to get inside, you need to fight YOUR fight not his.

I can't over emphasie the importance of footwork when facing someone bigger.

naja
10-04-2007, 06:37 AM
sanjuro...I'll try and keep that in mind next time I spar with anyone. You and I are about the same height, and I weight 160lb. I think you’re right on though. If I hadn’t gotten intimidated early I may have been able to get in and do some damage, or I may have been able to get behind him as well. I pretty much stood my ground after the first few attempts didn't work out.

I’m going to try and focus on the positive side of all this and take it as a learning experience. At least I know what I need to work on!

naja

Becca
10-04-2007, 02:05 PM

Did I have the wrong game plan or what?You assumed you would be faster. You have been training the same amount of time and I'm guessing in the same class, too. Any yet you assumed. You didn't know. Me thinks you might want to pay a bit more attention at class. I am well aware of which of my class mates is fast, slow, soft hitting, hard hitting, likely to kick high, likely to use spinning techniques, ect...

Pork Chop
10-04-2007, 02:31 PM
how'd you set up your entry?
or did you just try to bumrush in?
reach is a pain in the hiney and is often a bigger problem than weight.

Pk_StyLeZ
10-04-2007, 03:36 PM
AOLSpeak circa 1996 username and a burning hatred for the English language aside, you completely failed to comprehend what I wrote. Unless you meant to quote someone else, in another thread, on another planet or something.

i just randomly quoted someone......
gee ppl here are so offensive

naja
10-04-2007, 04:47 PM
You assumed you would be faster. You have been training the same amount of time and I'm guessing in the same class, too. Any yet you assumed. You didn't know. Me thinks you might want to pay a bit more attention at class. I am well aware of which of my class mates is fast, slow, soft hitting, hard hitting, likely to kick high, likely to use spinning techniques, ect...

LOL....actually, no this was the second class I had with him. He was there at my second class, went MIA, then showed up the other night. He has been there longer, but what I gathered from him was that he can't come a lot because of his college schedule. From what one of the black belts was telling me tonight when I talked to him about it was that this guy also plays arena football for an amateur team. The guy definitely has more athleticism than I do.

naja
10-04-2007, 04:50 PM
how'd you set up your entry?
or did you just try to bumrush in?
reach is a pain in the hiney and is often a bigger problem than weight.

Well, I really can't answer those questions! This was "light sparring", so we could see how we would/wouldn't use the techniques we had been studying.

I agree with you on reach. I dont' think I really thought about the reach factor until after the other night.

Becca
10-05-2007, 06:27 AM
LOL....actually, no this was the second class I had with him. He was there at my second class, went MIA, then showed up the other night. He has been there longer, but what I gathered from him was that he can't come a lot because of his college schedule. From what one of the black belts was telling me tonight when I talked to him about it was that this guy also plays arena football for an amateur team. The guy definitely has more athleticism than I do.Ah. Now it makes more sence that you didn't know his speed. And so you have discovered the bain of short people everyware: Not all big guys are slow lumbering cattle.:p

But, as a short person, I must say your best bet is to stop focusing on how fast your hands are and start focusing on how fast you can sneek inside on people. Fast hands do you no good if your arms are shorter than the other guys.:)

Phrost
10-05-2007, 10:38 AM
i just randomly quoted someone......
gee ppl here are so offensive

This isn't kindergarten, nobody's obligated to be nice to you.

I'm not even "from" this forum anyway.

MasterKiller
10-05-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm not even "from" this forum anyway. Whatever helps you sleep at night...

Phrost
10-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Whatever helps you sleep at night...

I sleep like a baby. But I was making the point that I shouldn't be considered as a representative of this forum in case he was judging you guys based on what I posted.

Wouldn't want him over on Bullshido anyway.

bodhitree
10-05-2007, 12:16 PM

LOL :D:D:D:D

WinterPalm
10-05-2007, 02:21 PM

SO why would you say that if someone tells you size doesn't matter they are selling you something martial arts related? I don't get that part? Isn't martial arts what you're looking for?:confused:

Pk_StyLeZ
10-05-2007, 04:49 PM
This isn't kindergarten, nobody's obligated to be nice to you.

I'm not even "from" this forum anyway.

i didnt ask u to be nice to be??
and i aint obligated to be nice to you either
so i can quote u all i want

The Willow Sword
10-08-2007, 09:28 AM
ok Phrost IS a Tool, however, there is sense to what he is saying.

Physics is physics and if you are smaller and weigh less and you go up against someone bigger and weighs more, chances are that THEY are going to over power you should you meet with them head to head. its the nature of physics.

However, we train in martial arts be it MMA or TCMA or JMA to deal with the opponent who is larger and stronger. It is not always going to work but you also have to realize what your training is about. is it about tournaments and points or is it about survival?? I am 6ft 2 and fluctuate in my weight about 190-195. im tall and muscular and have an advantage to a degree over someone else who is not as tall or weigh as much. but then if a judo expert who is half my size and weighs not as much is going to prolly throw me pretty well because i dont have much Judo or much ground experience. And i think that is what it is about, Skill and how you can deal with a larger opponent/attacker. my goal if i am dealing with a larger opponent is to get away from them as much as possible and if i need to,resort to dirty tactics and hope i come out of it okay. If its a tournament where i am protected by rules and regs then maybe i am going to test myself a bit more against the larger opponents,but prolly to no avail. and why? simple, physics.

Peace,TWS

Phrost
10-08-2007, 03:31 PM
SO why would you say that if someone tells you size doesn't matter they are selling you something martial arts related? I don't get that part? Isn't martial arts what you're looking for?:confused:Umm, where have you been for the past 40 years?

It's a common selling point at McDojos to (mis)represent their training as imparting the ability to overcome an attacker's size so that scrawny, pimply nerds pay their $100 a month to dress up in pajamas, punch at the air, and believe it's going to keep them from getting their arsecheeks taped together.

Phrost
10-08-2007, 03:35 PM
i didnt ask u to be nice to be??
and i aint obligated to be nice to you either
so i can quote u all i want

Are you 12 years old or is English just your second language?

In the case of the latter, no worries. In the case of the former, Gene's going to need some paperwork faxed over from your parents giving you permission to post here due to COPPA laws.

If neither of these apply to you, your refusal to construct your posts in a coherent manner is little different than spraying saliva on the faces of the people you're talking to in person.

Or maybe you're just a chav.

Becca
10-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Umm, where have you been for the past 40 years?

It's a common selling point at McDojos to (mis)represent their training as imparting the ability to overcome an attacker's size so that scrawny, pimply nerds pay their $100 a month to dress up in pajamas, punch at the air, and believe it's going to keep them from getting their arsecheeks taped together.It will too. It's very hard to kick someone's bum when your doubled over lauphing at 'em.;)

BaguaGoblin
10-09-2007, 10:52 AM

You got it. :D

You have to develop skills before sparring will start to go well. If he is mostly muscle, then he has already developed some form of muscle strength skill.

Learn from what went wrong. Sparring is great for that. You should learn something every time.

He didn't say size doesn't matter.

Pk_StyLeZ
10-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Are you 12 years old or is English just your second language?

In the case of the latter, no worries. In the case of the former, Gene's going to need some paperwork faxed over from your parents giving you permission to post here due to COPPA laws.

If neither of these apply to you, your refusal to construct your posts in a coherent manner is little different than spraying saliva on the faces of the people you're talking to in person.

Or maybe you're just a chav.

gene already knows how i type
he doesnt care how i type
so u can go screw ur self
and if u dnt like the way im typin
then u can take these words
and shove it up ur eye
i can careless how i type
dis aint no school or class or anything

Scott R. Brown
10-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Size matters when skill level is equal or nearly equal.

A number of years ago I went to my old school to train. There was a kid who was a brown belt in judo that my friends decided to pair me up with him. They thought they would use him as a ringer against me. He out weighed me by about 80#-100# and was about 5 or 6 inches taller than me. No one in this class or his Judo class was able to choke him out because he was so big and strong. Even the instructor's could not choke this guy out. So in short my friends thought they were setting me up and wanted to embarrass me.

We started out on our knees because of lack of room. The short story is I choked him out 5 or 6 times easily while he never even got close to choking me out. He even had his Judo instructor's son coaching him while we fought and I still choked him out. I figure we would have been about even or perhaps a slight advantage to him if we had begun fighting while standing.

Finally, in frustration, the Judo instructor's son joined me on the mat and I proceeded to choke him out 3 or 4 times. He really got pi$$ed about that, LOL! I never understood why he did this because I out weighed him by about 40 or 50 pounds. He must have had a lot of confidence in his abilities.

I have never had a day of Judo training. I beat him on tactics. I have an understanding of Judo and how he would approach the fight, but he had no understanding of how I would fight. I changed the context of the fight to my advantage and prevailed. If we had trained together for a number of months it would have become increasingly difficult for me to choke him out because he would have begun to understand my tactics and strategy. I would have had to innovate constantly to keep ahead of him, but in the end he would figure out all my tactics and his size advantage would work for him because the difference in our skill level would narrow.

jet64
10-10-2007, 06:07 PM
you dont
i weight 130 at the time
skills > weight

thats because the skill level is different. that is higer level of training regardless of style.

Pk_StyLeZ
10-10-2007, 06:31 PM
thats because the skill level is different. that is higer level of training regardless of style.

skill level is different..means skills > weight.....
exactlly what i was sayin.....
thanks for repeating me

jet64
10-10-2007, 10:20 PM
thanks for repeating me

yup, agree!

and in case of the same skill, the 1 with more sparring experience is the advantage

Pk_StyLeZ
10-11-2007, 05:39 PM
yup, agree!

and in case of the same skill, the 1 with more sparring experience is the advantage

but in reality..no one will ever have the same skill...dat is like impossible to say these two people are 100% EXACTLLY SKILLED.

sanjuro_ronin
10-12-2007, 04:54 AM
but in reality..no one will ever have the same skill...dat is like impossible to say these two people are 100% EXACTLLY SKILLED.

Quite correct, when they say, "all things being equal...", fact is, they never are.
Secret, if there is one, is to fight YOUR fight and to use YOUR advantages.

Mortifere
10-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Good points. You also have to remember though, that skill isn't only what you have practiced on a constant basis. You bring only cookie cutter skills to a fight with a larger opponent and you are risking it. I say that solely because each opponent that is larger than you is going to be different from the next. Never assume that this person is going to be slow and unskilled. You also need to bring adaptibility to the table.

In my case for example, I sparred my friend who was twice the size of me. He was, however, into MMA, so I had no idea what he was going to throw at me. It's then that I began to learn that adaptibility is important. He was fast with his hands and even better with his grappling. After giving some of my own shots and dodging most of his, I was keeping in mind his repetoire of attacks. I was then able to put myself or him in the postion to use certain attacks. Since I knew for the most part what was coming, I reacted accordingly.

When he threw his fast punches, I knew how fast they were, so I increased the speed to my blocks, allowing me to use full force kicks, especially since he wasn't all that great with his legs. When he threw himself to grapple me, I used my advantage of better footwork to step aside and throw him to the ground. Would he catch me and pin me, I would have lost. (Especially after seeing my other friend gettign knocked out in the first few seconds). All in all, once I got the jist of his moves, I was able to adapt to his fighting style and manipulate him to make him use certain attacks and make him think it was his idea. For the most part, though, you still have to be ready for anything.

That was my experience, just wanted to chip in my two cents.

SevenStar
10-16-2007, 09:00 PM

I haven't read any posts other than this one, so forgive me if this has been said - big does not automatically equate to slow and size does matter. he may be just as fast as you, which means he hits harder. that equates to a bad day for you if you don't have any advantage over him, since he is also much taller.

SevenStar
10-16-2007, 09:05 PM
thanks for repeating me

not quite. weight > skill if our skill levels are close. if you are much better than me, then my size means less. if you aren't much better, then size will give you fits.

Pk_StyLeZ
10-17-2007, 08:53 AM
not quite. weight > skill if our skill levels are close. if you are much better than me, then my size means less. if you aren't much better, then size will give you fits.

how do u define not much better.....
you kind of just agreed with me anyways,...you said if my skills were much better and u weighed more...then your weight doesnt mean anything....so after all...it is SKILLS > WEIGHT

o well this is an endless debate
which WILL NEVER BE PROVEN on either side
cause it is just to hard to find people the exact same skills or close enough skills
and people of the same weight
and all that other criteria thats matter

just dont under estimate people when you fight
big ppl can be fasst n quick too
i wont disagree with that

SevenStar
10-17-2007, 10:15 AM
how do u define not much better.....
you kind of just agreed with me anyways,...you said if my skills were much better and u weighed more...then your weight doesnt mean anything....so after all...it is SKILLS > WEIGHT

no...but I guess you can look at it that way. looking at it that way is saying that if I am bigger than you, but I suck, then my weight won't mean much. Also, I didn't say it means nothing, I said it meant LESS. It is still a factor. But, we are supposed to train for the worst case, no? in the worst case, the guy will be bigger than me and equal to me or better in skill. since we are close in skill, his weight is a MAJOR factor because that is an equalizer that I do not have.

o well this is an endless debate
which WILL NEVER BE PROVEN on either side
cause it is just to hard to find people the exact same skills or close enough skills
and people of the same weight
and all that other criteria thats matter

because it is frowned upon in sanctioned fighting - and that is even among people close in weight. why would I let a fighter with 30 fights under his belt fight a guy that only has 2? it's not hard to find people with equal skill and weight... that's what competing is for. they will find the matches for you.

just dont under estimate people when you fight
big ppl can be fasst n quick too
i wont disagree with that

this is true.

Pk_StyLeZ
10-17-2007, 01:10 PM
because it is frowned upon in sanctioned fighting - and that is even among people close in weight. why would I let a fighter with 30 fights under his belt fight a guy that only has 2? it's not hard to find people with equal skill and weight... that's what competing is for. they will find the matches for you.

and competition fighting still will not prove this theory.....
it is way to hard to determine two people skills are close alike.....
how would YOU determine two people skills are alike/close to each other.

SevenStar
10-17-2007, 01:30 PM
and competition fighting still will not prove this theory.....
it is way to hard to determine two people skills are close alike.....
how would YOU determine two people skills are alike/close to each other.

from a competition standpoint, length of time in training, number of fights, etc. on the street you can't. but that's not really the point at all. you don't HAVE to know his skill level to be able to look at him and tell you have a weight disadvantage. you will find out his skill level in relation to your own while you are fighting him.

On a regular basis I get into it with big, weight training boys in affliction fight wear shirts... most of them are garbage, but some actually train somewhere. I have no way to tell until I get into it with them. but either way, it's MUCH easier for me to restrain the guy who weighs 170 (I am over 200) than it is to restrain guys my size or larger. Why? because size matters to some extent, be it great or small (which is skill level dependent)

Pk_StyLeZ
10-17-2007, 06:56 PM
from a competition standpoint, length of time in training, number of fights, etc. on the street you can't. but that's not really the point at all. you don't HAVE to know his skill level to be able to look at him and tell you have a weight disadvantage. you will find out his skill level in relation to your own while you are fighting him.

On a regular basis I get into it with big, weight training boys in affliction fight wear shirts... most of them are garbage, but some actually train somewhere. I have no way to tell until I get into it with them. but either way, it's MUCH easier for me to restrain the guy who weighs 170 (I am over 200) than it is to restrain guys my size or larger. Why? because size matters to some extent, be it great or small (which is skill level dependent)

well to restrain someone is different from fighting...restraining is just holding them back?....and controlling them i guess in a way(this is how i interpret restrain, if yours interpretation was different, then ignore this).....if u wanna restrain someone, then of course size matter, since basic physic applies, ofcourse if you fight brute force with brute force the stronger force will win,....no doubt...but if you fight force(weight) againt skills....skills will win....

i dont even know where this is going now.....

SevenStar
10-17-2007, 08:04 PM
well to restrain someone is different from fighting...restraining is just holding them back?....and controlling them i guess in a way(this is how i interpret restrain, if yours interpretation was different, then ignore this).....if u wanna restrain someone, then of course size matter, since basic physic applies, ofcourse if you fight brute force with brute force the stronger force will win,....no doubt...but if you fight force(weight) againt skills....skills will win....

i dont even know where this is going now.....

fight skill vs weight and skill... you will see what I mean. grapple a guy with even 6 months of bjj who outweighs you by 60 pounds...

restraining easily becomes fighting considering they never want to be restrained and in my line of work, they were already fighting, which is why I had to restrain them in the first place

Pk_StyLeZ
10-17-2007, 09:08 PM
fight skill vs weight and skill... you will see what I mean. grapple a guy with even 6 months of bjj who outweighs you by 60 pounds...

restraining easily becomes fighting considering they never want to be restrained and in my line of work, they were already fighting, which is why I had to restrain them in the first place

i did some wrestling/throw down techniques(some what kind of grappling?) wit someone who outweighed me by atleast 50 pound..who practice judo for a good 2-3 years....and at dat time i had probably been practicing shaolin/wushu for a good 1-1.5 years??
does that count??

fighting to restrain.....thats a new one....i thought u fight to win...o well...i dont know....i guess u one of those peacefull fighter..and u jus fite so wont get hurt...i guess it make sense

SevenStar
10-18-2007, 11:55 AM
i did some wrestling/throw down techniques(some what kind of grappling?) wit someone who outweighed me by atleast 50 pound..who practice judo for a good 2-3 years....and at dat time i had probably been practicing shaolin/wushu for a good 1-1.5 years??
does that count??

if you were rolling and not just doing drills, then yeah, that counts.

fighting to restrain.....thats a new one....i thought u fight to win...o well...i dont know....i guess u one of those peacefull fighter..and u jus fite so wont get hurt...i guess it make sense

when you work security, you can't "fight to win". sure, I can knock a guy out, but what happens next is he calls his lawyer and sues us. that's just the reality we live in... Even if someone swings on me, I am not supposed to strike him. parry, evade, etc. move in and restrain him. Throwing is more incidental, as is an "accidental" choke out, so I can get away with those things a lot easier than I can get away with hitting a guy.

Pk_StyLeZ
10-18-2007, 04:06 PM
if you were rolling and not just doing drills, then yeah, that counts.

when you work security, you can't "fight to win". sure, I can knock a guy out, but what happens next is he calls his lawyer and sues us. that's just the reality we live in... Even if someone swings on me, I am not supposed to strike him. parry, evade, etc. move in and restrain him. Throwing is more incidental, as is an "accidental" choke out, so I can get away with those things a lot easier than I can get away with hitting a guy.

ya we were rolling..it wasnt drill...we were actually going at each other and stuff....it was soppose to be a kickboxing sparring match....but i just decided to use take down techniques instead

ok so u do security..that make sense why u restrain....i will agree if u wanna hold down someone...size will matter than..but in a fight fight fight situation...as in punching kicking(on both side) and etc....size will not matter

Lucas
10-18-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm a pretty average sized guy. 5'11" 175lbs.

I've gotten my share of both ends of the stick.

some guys are smaller than my by a good degree, some are larger to a good degree.

To me, the biggest factors that can help one deal with a larger opponent, or what i have found smaller people doing:

Footwork,

Distance,

Timing.

Especially if you are training in the same gym/school. The longer you train with the same guys and spar the same guys the harder it is going to be for you guys to suprise each other with tricks or techniques.

with good footwork, distance and timing you can overcome some of the disadvantages from being smaller. granted this is only an applicable part of a solution if you are able to outsmart / time your opponent, if not hope you get lucky or have more skills.

but with a guy who is faster, stronger, taller, and better looking than you. use the ground as best you can.

SevenStar
10-18-2007, 05:47 PM
ya we were rolling..it wasnt drill...we were actually going at each other and stuff....it was soppose to be a kickboxing sparring match....but i just decided to use take down techniques instead

ok so u do security..that make sense why u restrain....i will agree if u wanna hold down someone...size will matter than..but in a fight fight fight situation...as in punching kicking(on both side) and etc....size will not matter

one guy is 140lbs, one guy is 250lbs, they punch at a similar speed. Which will hit harder? why?

Pk_StyLeZ
10-18-2007, 06:08 PM
one guy is 140lbs, one guy is 250lbs, they punch at a similar speed. Which will hit harder? why?

ok......blah ok that matter......the bigger guy will most likly hit harder...unless the skinny guy is bruce lee and has bunch of internal qi force or wutever that stuff is
but if the smaller guy is more skilled
he will dodge the block and retailiate...and if he is good enough he will suceed.....
so size doeesnt matter in a fight......
i dont care how big you are, how much muscle you have, everyone have weak points in their body......

your situation is just brute force vs brute force. i already said, if you fight brute force vs brute force, the stronger force will win. that is basic physics.
but you not soppose to fight force with force
so your examples doesnt really prove anything.....

Becca
10-19-2007, 06:55 AM
one guy is 140lbs, one guy is 250lbs, they punch at a similar speed. Which will hit harder? why?OR to rephrase, if you drop a 140 lb. rock and a 250 lb rock from the same height, at the same time, which will hit harder, disregarding all drivel about terminal velocity, since that little bit of physics is irrelevant to punching. The bigger rock will cause more blunt force trauma to what ever it lands on, because it's the sudden stop at the end that kills, to quote a cliché.... Which is why a smaller person had better be the better fighter in a match-up like that. Good technique will conquer brute force, but it's got to actually be there, not just theoretically.

sanjuro_ronin
10-19-2007, 11:55 AM
We must try to be logical in these matters.
Size matters, always has, always will.
Anyone that believes otherwise has never fought a skilled big man.
How MUCH it matters, that is the key.

Fight your own fight and do what you do best, try to be as complete a fighter as you can and victory/survival will present itself.