PDA

View Full Version : tai chi, hung gar ,hsing-i or bagua?

hindoshima
10-03-2007, 07:45 PM
As I have posted many times before I am looking for a teacher. I have sorted out all of my options and decided that I would like to learn one of the above arts.

I'm 17 years old, 5' 10" and weigh 175 in case that makes a difference:).

Any ways I've been taking tai chi for 3 or 4 weeks. My teacher said it will take 10 years to be able to use it martialy.

Hung gar is my favorite martial art. I especialy like how you can get very strong through it.

Hsing-i is my second favorite art and I have heard it has great martial qualities.

Baguazhang is also supposed to be very good martialy. I like how they can suddently get behind their opponent.

For hung gar or bagua I'd have to move to san fran. I don't know where a hsing-i teacher is.

Any recomendations? After this one I won't take up any more space with my monatanous(mispelled?) posts about teacher recommendations.:D

Thanks agian. Sorry agian. :p

Shaolinlueb
10-03-2007, 08:05 PM
hsing i is good when you have a good teacher and understand it. even though it is linear it has good applications. when you see good hsing i performed and see someone who thinks they understand it, but don't, you can tell. i love hsing i.

bagua is more circular but also good.

hung gar is fun when you have a good instructor.

what it comes down to is the instructor and how much you listen and learn/train techniques.

what area are you from. the guys here might know school's you can train with.

SPJ
10-03-2007, 10:51 PM
try out a bit for each style and see what you like.

the differences are in the stepping methods and body methods--

Tai Chi starts with standing in posture and then Chan Si exercises.

Hung gar starts with standing in horse stance for as long as you could.

Xing Yi starts with San Cai/Ti Shi posture.

Ba Gua starts with standing in postures and then stepping exercises and then walking in a circle.

They all start with standing in postures to get the requirements of the body methods.

--

they all start with boring stance work first. lots of standing while "relax" all over.

--

:D:)

SPJ
10-03-2007, 11:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8yCwikaU4s&mode=related&search=BaGuaZhang

power generation methods of Xing Yi fist.

:)

golden arhat
10-04-2007, 11:02 AM
do neither

instead

try

M
M
A
!!!

SanHeChuan
10-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Forget about what you think you want! Just train in what’s available to you. If you hold out to find the ideal style, you'll waste years of training.

Tell us where you are, and what’s close by and then maybe we can point you in the right direction. It doesn't matter how bad you want to train hung gar, if it isn't on hand, you'll never get any good at it. :rolleyes:

XsingYi dude was alittle scarry :eek:

The Xia
10-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Check if the sifus are good. If they all are, go with what you like best.

Christopher M
10-06-2007, 03:30 AM
Any recomendations?

It seems like you haven't trained in these styles that you are talking about, but you have some idea about what your "favorites" are based on what you're read about them on the internet or somewhere else.

My recommendation would be to completely forget all these things you've read and heard, and then to go visit the schools in your area with a completely open mind. And if any of the classes seem interesting, I recommend trying them out for a couple months to a year so you can understand better what they are training. And I recommend being realistic and honest with yourself and your teacher about what your goals are and whether or not you are really training to achieve them.

And if a primary goal of yours is to develop realistically applicable martial skill and your teacher is telling you it will take ten years, my recommendation is to find a new teacher.

Michael Udel
10-06-2007, 04:06 AM
Neither of my Taijiquan teachers, or teachers I know in general who say they've used Taiji for fighting, think it takes ten years to learn how to fight with Taiji. I wouldn't get fixated on any long term figures like that. Whatever MA you chose, you should like it immediately, so much so that you are willing to work at it to learn more, but really focusing on stuff immediately at hand. Pick the best teacher available to you, style being secondary.

hindoshima
10-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all the good advice! I'll be moving soon so I'll just take which ever of them are there!:D I'll be sure to watch them first with an open mind!:p

Flying-Monkey
10-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Any ways I've been taking tai chi for 3 or 4 weeks. My teacher said it will take 10 years to be able to use it martialy.

if this is true, it is not worth it.

jet64
10-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks for all the good advice! I'll be moving soon so I'll just take which ever of them are there!:D I'll be sure to watch them first with an open mind!:p

you should try zi ran men. you'll find it very unique. you can apply it whatever style youve learned before.