PDA

View Full Version : Hi all

hunter101
10-05-2007, 10:38 AM
I am going through some real culture shock lately. For the last 10 years I have studied shaolin kempo. I attained a black belt then had to move out of state, then came back. When I returned the cost went from 68 bucks a month to 95, and the drive was a lot longer. I found at my local community center near my home, they have kung fu classes. The cost and the time to drive there was win / win for me. I am not totally sure what the lineology is here, but they claim the person who started their class came from southern china and opened a school in lexington kentucky. I am not certain the spelling, but master Sin is his name. Anyway that was way back in the 60s to 80s now, and the 2nd and 3rd generation students spread out all over. I have so far had 5 lessons at the school. I am pretty amazed to see what some of the old dogs can do. crisp snapping movements, power and delivery. The way it was explained to me, out of the 5 animals, dragon is the primary force and the other 4 animals are merged and blended into the dragon style. I belive the shaolin kempo I studied for so long was primary snake in form blending the other 5 animals around it. So when I said culture shock i wasnt kidding. Well, this is my first post here so if anyone has any knowledge of a kung fu school in lexington kentucky with a teacher named master sin, or john fernandez it would greatly help me to know what exactly im getting into. thanks all.

JGTevo
10-05-2007, 02:13 PM
http://www.shaolingrandmaster.com

Shaolin-Do is your lineage there.

I've been to one of their schools in Northridge, CA and I wasn't very impressed at all. The whole "More than 900 forms... from over 100 fighting systems" makes me cringe and is a huge red flag for me, personally.

900 forms?

Who the hell can honestly tell me they know even 90 forms.. and how many people can honestly tell me that even 9 of those forms are completely necessary...

southernkf
10-05-2007, 03:00 PM
JGTevo,
Shaolin Do? Where did you get that from? He clearly stated Shaolin Kempo. Very different. There are a few Kenpo lines using the Shaolin Kenpo moniker. Both Ralph Castro and Fred Villari use it and I am sure others do as well. This is NOT Shaolin Do. But in any case, thanks for your comments on Shaolin Do.

CLFNole
10-05-2007, 03:19 PM
If you read what he wrote he started with Shaolin Kempo and has seemed to have found Shaolin Do.

Either way they are neither southern kung fu or kung fu at all for that matter.

southernkf
10-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Hmmmm.... I didn't see any reference to shaolin-do. I suppose that is infered by the name Sin? In any case, sorry if missed that. I just saw the reference to Shaolin Kenpo, which isn''t Shaolin-Do, or are they also using that name as well?

JGTevo
10-05-2007, 04:13 PM
You're confused southernkf :)

He says he USED to do Shaolin Kempo.. now he found a school that does shaolin from a Grandmaster named Sin who started it in the 60's or so.

JGTevo
10-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Just for further clarfication, he posted this

When I returned the cost went from 68 bucks a month to 95, and the drive was a lot longer.(to the shaolin kempo school) I found at my local community center near my home, they have kung fu classes.(this is a new place) The cost and the time to drive there was win / win for me. I am not totally sure what the lineology is here, but they claim the person who started their class came from southern china and opened a school in lexington kentucky. I am not certain the spelling, but master Sin is his name.

southernkf
10-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Confusion does indeed play a large role in my life. :D I didn't see any reference to Shaolin-Do so I made an assumption. As I am not aware of Shaolin Do's specific I probably didn't get any reference to it (Sin, Kentucky, etc). But for what it's worth they are very different styles.

Off to the land of confusion.....

JGTevo
10-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Just for the OP - There's a "Is Shaolin-Do for Real?" post on the Shaolin Kung Fu forum here.. if you want to know more about it.

hunter101
10-05-2007, 05:05 PM
sorry for the confusion. I actually found the web site from grandmaster sin, the funny thing is, the folks at the dojo say they moved away from shaolin do, and that the school turned from a good school to a way for master sin to make a lot of money. I dont want to argue what is a true martial art or what is fluff but I like that kind of honesty. Anyway, after having a black belt, I learned 5 pinions and 5 katas, also I studied 5 star praying mantis and learned 1 long form and 2 short forms. I didnt go very far in the 5star cause the guy that was teaching it moved on to open a restaurant. I really dont know who to believe is a true martial artist, the head teacher at my old dojo just got her 8th degree black belt and i'm kind of skeptical about that. the shaolin kempo i studied was the grand baby of fred villari. I think he was a student of ed parker.

TenTigers
10-05-2007, 05:18 PM
five star praying mantis-that sez it all.

JGTevo
10-05-2007, 05:22 PM
I think they lost two stars cause the service sucked :p

As for finding a true martial artist...
Ask questions.
Ask any questions you can think of.
If **** doesn't make sense. MAKE THEM MAKE LOGICAL, SCIENTIFIC SENSE OF IT. Question EVERYTHING.

If they can't explain it (explaining it means more than just "uhhhIt works because you move like this and then it does that.", or using your ability to attack them as the basis for showing how effective their technique is)they don't understand it themselves, and move on to looking for a teacher and not someone who mimics movements and passes them on.

CLFNole
10-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Hate to break it to you but there is no such thing as 5 Star Praying Mantis. I honestly think this whole thread is another trolling expedition but if not :eek:

hunter101
10-06-2007, 06:34 AM
you are right, it is 7star praying mantis. not 5star, its been some 6 or 7 years since i did that. the preying mantis my instructor studied was under wah lum, spelling ok? hey i'm not lieing about what i have studied, but if what the folks who taught me were bogus, well that sucks.

CLFNole
10-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Wah Lum isn't 7-star either, it is considered jut sow (wrestling hands) mantis.

sun dragon
10-20-2007, 04:47 PM
I am going through some real culture shock lately. For the last 10 years I have studied shaolin kempo. I attained a black belt then had to move out of state, then came back. When I returned the cost went from 68 bucks a month to 95, and the drive was a lot longer. I found at my local community center near my home, they have kung fu classes. The cost and the time to drive there was win / win for me. I am not totally sure what the lineology is here, but they claim the person who started their class came from southern china and opened a school in lexington kentucky. I am not certain the spelling, but master Sin is his name. Anyway that was way back in the 60s to 80s now, and the 2nd and 3rd generation students spread out all over. I have so far had 5 lessons at the school. I am pretty amazed to see what some of the old dogs can do. crisp snapping movements, power and delivery. The way it was explained to me, out of the 5 animals, dragon is the primary force and the other 4 animals are merged and blended into the dragon style. I belive the shaolin kempo I studied for so long was primary snake in form blending the other 5 animals around it. So when I said culture shock i wasnt kidding. Well, this is my first post here so if anyone has any knowledge of a kung fu school in lexington kentucky with a teacher named master sin, or john fernandez it would greatly help me to know what exactly im getting into. thanks all.

What school did you pay 68 a month villari or ussd?