PDA

View Full Version : SanHeChuan + San Shou = Video

SanHeChuan
10-07-2007, 07:33 PM
HaHa! I finally got one on video. :cool:

This year at the Austin Martial arts festival was pretty thin. I don't know why Yutyeesam didn't bring anybody to represent. There wasn't anybody in my weight class, so I fought an exhibition match with a dude 36lbs lighter.

The dude was a point fighter. He was quick and he pretty much controlled the distance the whole match, to both of our detriments. He stayed out of range of my attacks, but most of his attacks were too short too. I had to stalk him down the whole fight, there were no corners to pin him down in. He was really hard to connect with, he kept ducking my punches. When we did trade punches at close range he usually came out on top, throwing wide circle punches to side of the head. At close range they were hard to see coming. If he was my weight he would have torn me up in those exchanges.

I hurt my foot pretty bad with a round house kick to his leg in the second round. The distance was too long, and I think I hyper extended my arch or some such. I hope I didn't fracture my foot. HtownDragon was there and had told me earlier that he had fractured his foot at the Taiji Legacy.

I forfeited after the second round. You see me shaking my head at the end of the round. Somehow in the exchange right before that I got hit in the back of the head. I was seeing stars and I didn't know what happened, so I said I was out. I guess I'm just not a real fighter, perseverance and all that. :o

Round 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skPpr3Tu2Uw)

Round 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRdMzlVUDfw)

MasterKiller
10-08-2007, 06:21 AM
w o r d .

Shaolin Wookie
10-08-2007, 06:28 AM

This year at the Austin Martial arts festival was pretty thin. I don't know why Yutyeesam didn't bring anybody to represent. There wasn't anybody in my weight class, so I fought an exhibition match with a dude 36lbs lighter.

The dude was a point fighter. He was quick and he pretty much controlled the distance the whole match, to both of our detriments. He stayed out of range of my attacks, but most of his attacks were too short too. I had to stalk him down the whole fight, there were no corners to pin him down in. He was really hard to connect with, he kept ducking my punches. When we did trade punches at close range he usually came out on top, throwing wide circle punches to side of the head. At close range they were hard to see coming. If he was my weight he would have torn me up in those exchanges.

I hurt my foot pretty bad with a round house kick to his leg in the second round. The distance was too long, and I think I hyper extended my arch or some such. I hope I didn't fracture my foot. HtownDragon was there and had told me earlier that he had fractured his foot at the Taiji Legacy.

I forfeited after the second round. You see me shaking my head at the end of the round. Somehow in the exchange right before that I got hit in the back of the head. I was seeing stars and I didn't know what happened, so I said I was out. I guess I'm just not a real fighter, perseverance and all that. :o

If you're not fighting for money, there's never any shame in saying....okay, I think I'll save myself a couple of thousand brain cells and a CATSCAN and just call it a day.;)

The Willow Sword
10-08-2007, 06:45 AM
You played right into HIS game San He Chuan. He was Quicker and had the moves to evade you from the get go. Still though, good match. I would have been attack attack attack on him the whole way and gone for takedowns(did they allow those in this match?) oh and Why was the tourney Thin this year? Not enough press on it?

Peace,TWS

Eddie
10-08-2007, 06:59 AM
I guess I'm just not a real fighter, perseverance and all that. :o

dunno. You pretty much look like a real fighter to me.

David Jamieson
10-08-2007, 07:25 AM
not a bad match.

I would give a good effort to both of you and in my view the techniques and skills were clean and not bad at all.

the kicks got a little chop sockey a couple of times, but taht's always fun to see. :-)

I thought you two were mismatched weight wise, you looked a lot heavier than he did. He had good speed I thought you showed good structure.

I would have liked to see more throws and I think that if you had clinched more, you would have destroyed him. Your inside fighting was better than his. just my observations.

Knifefighter
10-08-2007, 07:34 AM
I thought you two were mismatched weight wise, you looked a lot heavier than he did. He had good speed I thought you showed good structure.

See, that's why you actually should read a thread before posting... so you don't make dumb@ss comments like that.

BTW, SHC, I coudn't view the first round, but I thought you did fine in the second. He was good at using his speed vs. your size, but I would have given you that round.

xcakid
10-08-2007, 07:37 AM
If you're not fighting for money, there's never any shame in saying....okay, I think I'll save myself a couple of thousand brain cells and a CATSCAN and just call it a day.;)

My thoughts exactly. I would even go as far as to say, not for money, but for your life. Money is good, but if you ended spending it for long term care anyways......

We got a guy at my school that hits like a wrecking ball. My machismo goes out the window and I put on as much protective gear as possible when I spar him. Call me a wuss.

That was a good fight. I would also agree with TWS. Should closed in more. Go for take downs/sweeps. He looked to be a stand up only fighter and not used to sweeps and takedowns. This was evident by him throwing some high and spinning kicks.

David Jamieson
10-08-2007, 07:40 AM
See, that's why you actually should read a thread before posting... so you don't make dumb@ss comments like that.

BTW, SHC, I coudn't view the first round, but I thought you did fine in the second. He was good at using his speed vs. your size, but I would have given you that round.

Why oh why must you be such an adversarial twat knife? I looked at the vids and commented. I read the part later in his post. My observation is no less my observation. what a jerk you are. lol

xcakid
10-08-2007, 07:48 AM
"Twat Knife"

Nope don't see it in the dictionary, but I will sure save it for future use. Maybe not in Scrabble. But that is funny right there. :D

Shaolin Wookie
10-08-2007, 08:10 AM
My thoughts exactly. I would even go as far as to say, not for money, but for your life. Money is good, but if you ended spending it for long term care anyways......

We got a guy at my school that hits like a wrecking ball. My machismo goes out the window and I put on as much protective gear as possible when I spar him. Call me a wuss.

I just call that smart. A third degree smashed me straight in the mouth/nose with a jab about a month ago, then stopped, pulled out his mouthguard, and said: "Why aren't you wearing your mouthguard?"

I felt like an idiot.:D

Shaolin Wookie
10-08-2007, 08:12 AM
"Twat Knife"

Nope don't see it in the dictionary, but I will sure save it for future use. Maybe not in Scrabble. But that is funny right there. :D

I'm sure there's something of the sort at the OB/GYN's office. Man, the thought of that room just frightens me.

SanHeChuan
10-08-2007, 08:24 AM
oh and Why was the tourney Thin this year? Not enough press on it?

Yep.

That was a good fight. I would also agree with TWS. Should closed in more. Go for take downs/sweeps. He looked to be a stand up only fighter and not used to sweeps and takedowns. This was evident by him throwing some high and spinning kicks.

Hey I threw some High and spinning kicks too. I had been working on some great punching combos and using them to set up a take down, but I couldn't get him to stand still for more that two punches. I was working off of the premise that I could get my opponent to cover up defensively, before executing a double leg. He also ducked low alot, if I had gone for the shoot, we might of bumped heads. :D I might be able to grab a leg but he was kicking me with the top of his foot, so I would have had to reach a bit to get it, and I haven't trained for that. My feeling at the time was that he was too fast to catch, the mat were too thin, and he was always on the out side closest to the concrete. AND My take down just aren't that good, yet. :eek:

Oh yeah and when I did close in close the exchanges did not favor me.

Scott Meneely
10-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Good job man! There's no shame in anything you did! You looked good in there, and don't pay attention to armchair quaterbacks! You know what you need to improve, so go forth and work on that! Good work!

SanHeChuan
10-08-2007, 03:30 PM
I would have been attack attack attack on him the whole way and gone for takedowns

So I'll see you there next year then? :p

yutyeesam
10-08-2007, 06:01 PM

Great job!

Sorry I wasn't there...I had to go to Portland for some family biz. Just now got back.

My sparring group is still not ready, because we haven't worked much takedowns yet (I need to invest in some mats - our floors are all wooden). If anyone knows of where I can get some really good deals on mats, I'd be grateful. They ain't cheap.

How was the attendance? From the video it looked kinda sparse.

SanHeChuan
10-08-2007, 07:07 PM
There was nobody there. Last year something like 10 or 12 fighters showed up. Even some MMA fighters jumped in the mix. This year there was only four. I think this year they only called the instructors of schools and talked to them about the event, and that was their only promotion. They said they would promote more next year.

You're never "ready" for your first match. :eek: It's a learning experience that cannot be simulated.

I don't know about mats but grass is a good substitute. So just get some sod from home depot and there you go. ;)

yutyeesam
10-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah, the event seemed very poorly promoted from what it looks, which is why I didn't prioritize it...in fact, i didn't even know if it was going to happen, because I saw ZERO publicity for the event...until I got an e-mail the week before the event to please help and participate and judge...but I had already bought my plane tickets.

If the event is better promoted next year, I'll have my students spar definitely in Continuous Sparring. But no way am I letting them spar San Shou until they know how to break falls and a few basic takedowns. I think this company might be the way to go:
http://www.tiffinmats.com/Products/ElementarySkills.html

Did you happen to make it to the AAU event Sifu David Pickens put together?

SanHeChuan
10-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Those actually look like the mats they used at the tournament, only add about ten years. :(

No, I didn't make it to Round Rock. I had to go to San Antonio that weekend. Was there a good turn out?

Until they get their skills up just teach'em to sit out or take a knee when in trouble. You loose the points you were going to loose anyway, but save the pain.

Htowndragon said he would like to fight some Choy li fut guys. :D

There was actually a Chinese dude there with a Chinese wushu association sanda uniform, all red with gold strips. When he was warming up it was obvious he knew San Shou. He looked my size so I was hoping/dreading fighting him, but he only did the Continuous sparring. I guess he hadn't been training for Sanda so he didn't want to risk loosing face. He fought some Kuk Sool Won dude whose main defensive posture was head down fetal position. They were the only competitors in that division.

There were also some highlarious point sparing kids who would cup their junk with their off hand while sparring. I guess they don't wear cups in their style.

I say just throw'em in with the sharks. :cool:

yutyeesam
10-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Too d@mn funny!! Now THAT, I would like to see!

I didn't make it to the AAU either, I was having my Fall Kids Open House that Saturday. One of my students volunteered for the event, and said it was a pretty decent turnout... seems like AAU will be the primo venue for the CMA folk next year. I'll try to get some folks to compete Continuous and San Shou for that.

I think AMAFest lost a bit of people's confidence this year unfortunately.

Li Kao
10-09-2007, 02:04 AM
I thought you did pretty good SanHeChuan -- it's all good experience -- I should get back to tournaments myself -- watching them again reminds me how much fun they were. Hope your foot is ok.

On a side note: that guy's girlfriend was fairly annoying though cracking me up -- "whoop his ass so I can go home!" and then just "whoop his ass" over and over. And then the cameraguy going "Language, woman!" It's nice when girlfriends/boyfriends come to show support, something I could never get any of my old girlfriends to do, but sometimes the grandstanding is a bit much.

BruceSteveRoy
10-09-2007, 09:07 AM
good job man. and posting it on youtube. way to put yourself out there.

one thing i learned from my instructor when fighting guys that are really quick like that is to throw lots of thigh kicks. he says punish their lead leg til it slows them down. you will know when he's had enough when he switches to a southpaw stance then punish that lead leg. puts the game on an equal footing speed wise. or if not equal it will be in your favor. of course he was doign a good job at keeping distance so it was a bit hard to land but all in all i would say upi did a good job.

SanHeChuan
10-09-2007, 08:14 PM
The Swain Flexi-Roll Mat
(http://superiormartialarts.com/cgi-bin/uniform/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=mats.html&ORDER_ID=270691687&affiliate=!affiliate!)

These are good matts, and at 5x10 are cheeper than the ones you put up.

yutyeesam
10-09-2007, 09:51 PM
The Swain Flexi-Roll Mat
(http://superiormartialarts.com/cgi-bin/uniform/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=mats.html&ORDER_ID=270691687&affiliate=!affiliate!)

These are good matts, and at 5x10 are cheeper than the ones you put up.

Thanks!!! That's Norman Smith's store. He's a good guy. I'll give him a ring.

Pork Chop
10-10-2007, 02:22 PM
First round looked like he was out to take you out but you were in exhibition/sparring mode.
By the beginning of the second round, he got it into his head he could run you over, until you caught him with that side kick when he was rushing in.

Fast guys like that, accruing damage on the legs & body will slow them down.
When they come rushing in, body attacks on the centerline (like that sidekick) will stop their momentum nicely.

Kinda looked like in the second round, when you were actually comfortable throwing with some power, you wanted to land the hard shot first- which is why he saw it coming. With runners like that, it's okay to hide the big hit behind some quick stuff as you close distance. Also, don't be afraid to tie up with the clinch if he starts winging with those quick hands.

Nice match
I would say you definitely came off as the more controlled/skilled fighter
He's got some decent boxing tho

I'm in the process of trying to move to san antonio or austin at the moment.
Once I make it i'm definitely down to participate in that event.