PDA

View Full Version : Useless Waste of Time

TenTigers
10-08-2007, 10:03 AM
ok, to pick up-when I was studying arts like Hapkido, Kenpo, and others, we learned techniques against many attacks that would never occur in real life.
We discussed the wrist grab-one, it being a left-over from fuedal times when someone would grab your sword-hand. Two-it being simply a beginner's learning tool, that should be disgarded after the student has a grasp on the technique in favor of more realistic training.
What other attacks did you learn defenses against, that you feel are not only invalid, but were a complete waste of time. Of course, when you were young and first learning these, you thought they were great.

1) The rear Frankenstien two-handed neck grab-see other thread

2-The Front Frankenstien two-handed neck grab-
in reality, it is almost never done standing, unless you are being pinned on your back. For the front standing, the neck choke and two-hand lapel grab are basically the same attack, and can be treated the same. I was taught so many techniques against this, but I dropped in favor of one or two that handle both effectively. This way there is no need to learn one for this, one for that, etc

3-the running tackle-big difference between this and a double leg takedown-in this case the guy is several feet away! Heck, just move. Sure there are techniques to take him down, butthey rely on him being right on top of you-why take the risk?

4-front bearhug around the waist,arms free. -WTF? This has never, ever happened to me in real life. Also, imagine for a moment you are an instructor, and you are teaching this to a child or young girl, or teen. Nope, nope, nope!
now, there are takedowns where you would do this, which is why having a good grappling curriculum is appropriate, but a standing bearhug?
what else can you guys come up with?

HOKPAIWES
10-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Windmilling the choke.

The very first move I ever learned was called the windmill. Lol, ok the attacker comes up putting both hands on your neck to choke you, you use one of your arms to windmill his hands from you. This works really great for removing hands assuming they don't have an athletic grip or are bigger than you and will just stand there.

Hello! Earth to me.

Why The F*&^ am I letting someone just walk up and put his hands around my neck in the first place when I could have started pounding on them when they entered my circle a few feet back.

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-08-2007, 10:27 AM
I have a great defense for the double handed choke. Mine works against how it would be done if someone was really trying to choke you too. I know, I had people actually try to strangle me to death when I was testing it...and yes, I had to tapp, or pass put a few times before I perfected it.

The double handed choke is not something a real fighter would choose to do, but in a domestic violence situation, the abusive spouse is very likely to try and strangle his victim.

It is an action that a highly frustrate and angry out of controll individual would do. Picture this:

Two people are in an argument, one is thick like a wall and no matter how much he tries, person A just cannot get his side hear. The tension and frustration builds, and builds when finnally he snaps and lunges unexpectedly for person B's throat pulling him in and begns strangling with every thing he's got out of sheer frustrated anger. Basically he can no longer controll the primal urge to choke the crap out of someone.

Now, I am sure all the old timmers here are aware that *I* am the classic person B in this situation, so havening a solid workable defense against a 2 handed strangle would be an important tool in my tool box, even though most attacks, and certainly most fighters would never think to grab or strangle like that....a guy like me has had it happen at times.

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-08-2007, 10:31 AM
front bearhug around the waist,arms free. -WTF? This has never, ever happened to me in real life.

Reply]
It happens to Women all the time...it's called unwanted physical attention from some loser who can't quite get the message that he has been dumped, and replaced already.

Or the guy who *Thinks* he's on a hugging basis with a girl, but in reality he's too dennse to getthat she wants to vomit at the site of him.

She is obviously in no real danger, but needs to have good techniques to escape his slimy grubby embrace before she becomes nauseous.

TenTigers
10-08-2007, 10:34 AM
yeppers like peppers! classic EDP
I am not saying it is useless, but to learn twenty defenses when one simple move would suffice is just retarded.

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Most of those 20 moves don't work against an angry, highly, frustrated attacker, in a frenzy bent on choking the c r a p out of you.

MasterKiller
10-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Counters for the thai clinch work for the "strangle" also. Just use those.

monji112000
10-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Counters for the thai clinch work for the "strangle" also. Just use those.

thats true. The only difference I see is that the two times someone tried to choke me like that they were pushing me back very hard. (they were much bigger than me)
I personally like the Krav maga escape. I have used to it many times with people who didn't believe it would work. I just ask them to really try to choke me and give me all they got.. so fare its worked 100% of the time.

The Xia
10-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Anyone ever have someone who claims he is a martial artist describe how he can drive the nose bone into the brain with the heel of the palm? :D

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Got a clip of that?

The Xia
10-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Got a clip of that?
I hope you aren't serious lol.

The Xia
10-08-2007, 12:18 PM
One of the people who told me that claimed he did "Judo!" :p

The Xia
10-08-2007, 12:20 PM
One of the people who told me that claimed he did "Judo!" :p
Maybe it was Takeshi! :eek: :D

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-08-2007, 12:22 PM
I hope you aren't serious lol.

Reply]
I was replying to monji112000

But a clip of the nose bone kill would be cool if you have one.

golden arhat
10-08-2007, 02:17 PM
front bearhug around the waist,arms free. -WTF? This has never, ever happened to me in real life.

Reply]
It happens to Women all the time...it's called unwanted physical attention from some loser who can't quite get the message that he has been dumped, and replaced already.

Or the guy who *Thinks* he's on a hugging basis with a girl, but in reality he's too dennse to getthat she wants to vomit at the site of him.

She is obviously in no real danger, but needs to have good techniques to escape his slimy grubby embrace before she becomes nauseous.

speaking from experience ?

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-08-2007, 02:33 PM
:(

--------------------