PDA

View Full Version : My youngest son shot 3 times

Phil Redmond
10-08-2007, 05:35 PM
.My youngest son was shot 3 times yesterday.
Witnesses say he fought and beat two guys who live in the same building earlier in the day. They came back later for revenge with a gun. He was hit in the leg, shoulder, and a bullet grazed his head. I just talked to him on the phone at the hospital and he is doing well. I guess this tradgedy has made me reflect about how we take things for granted. You never know when it's your time. I've seen lots of animousity on this forum. As martial artists we should strive to be more civil to each other. On another note I also thought about how there are rarely fair fights in the streets. That's why the no come back rule applies in some instances. But, I also think the best defense is common sense.

TenTigers
10-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Sorry to hear that, Glad he's ok. What is going to happen next? Were they apprehended?

Liddel
10-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Thats hard core Phil....hope the cops nail those guys.

Hope he has a speedy recovery mate, and chicks dig scars :o

DREW

k gledhill
10-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Glad to hear he's ok...

Edmund
10-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Wow.. Hope he gets well soon.

On another note I also thought about how there are rarely fair fights in the streets. That's why the no come back rule applies in some instances.

Very true.

anerlich
10-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Sorry to hear that Phil. Glad he's basically OK.

Vajramusti
10-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Shocked and saddened Phil. So sorry that it happened but thankful that it was not worse.
Thanks also for the very thoughtful part of your post. None of us are promised the next moment in our lives.

joy chaudhuri

VingDragon
10-08-2007, 06:16 PM
i'm sorry... dont know what to say more.

Matrix
10-08-2007, 06:30 PM
I guess this tradgedy has made me reflect about how we take things for granted. You never know when it's your time. I've seen lots of animousity on this forum. As martial artists we should strive to be more civil to each other.
Phil,
Good to hear that you son has survived what could have been a tragic event. This certainly serves to show how petty some of our "discussions" can be.

Take Care,
Bill

LynyrdSkynyrd
10-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Good luck to your son. That is just awful how our society can be like that at times.

bodhitree
10-08-2007, 06:47 PM
god bless and a speedy recovery to your son. no individual or family should have to go through that.

Ultimatewingchun
10-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Jeez, Phil...

So sorry to hear all this. I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Mr Punch
10-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Holy **** mate, glad he's OK.

Mat.

Chosen-frozen
10-08-2007, 11:18 PM
I`m glad to hear he wasn`t hurt more seriously. I can only imagine how you felt when you heard.

Let us know if either of you need anything, and how this turns out.

Alan Orr
10-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Hi Phil

Sorry to hear you news. Good to hear your son is doing okay.

Yes, we must make the most out of life.

Peace

My best

Alan

Wayfaring
10-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Phil,

So sorry to hear that. I'd rather go through it myself than it be my boy. You guys are in thoughts and prayers.

WF

Jeff Bussey
10-09-2007, 02:08 AM
Whoa Phil,
I'm really sorry to hear that. Thank god he's still alive.

Ernie
10-09-2007, 06:13 AM
Streets are a beast Phil ,,,,, Thank God they only they only took a nibble .
Keep your head up big Papa !
E.

Phil Redmond
10-09-2007, 06:14 AM
Thanks to everyone who posted. I'll be at Bellevue Hospital in NY with my son today.
I'll get the whole story from him then. The guys who shot him live in the same building and my daughters say they've know them since they were 8 years old. I also want to make sure that there in no sort of retribution and to leave it to the law.
Phil

t_niehoff
10-09-2007, 06:14 AM
Phil,

I am very sorry to hear about the assualt on your son. I hope he makes a full recovery soon.

Warmest regards,

Terence

Knifefighter
10-09-2007, 06:16 AM
Phil-
Best wishes to your son for a speedy recovery.

Sihing73
10-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear about this incident. I am glad that your son was not more seriously hurt, although any injury is too great. A sad reflection on our society today when many senseless things escalate to such great violence.

You and your family are in my prayers. Let me know if you need anything. I will call you later on.:(

1renox
10-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Sifu Redmond, our sympathies. My family will remember yours in our prayers.

AmanuJRY
10-09-2007, 08:18 AM
Best wishes and prayers to your son and your family.

sihing
10-09-2007, 08:40 AM
I hope your son has a speedy recovery Phil, you both are lucky men:)

James

chusauli
10-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Phil,

Hope your son has a speedy recovery. Contact me if you need any assistance with trauma medicines.

Best regards,

osprey3883
10-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Sifu Phil,
Glad to hear your son is OK, I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Matt

YungChun
10-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Thank God your son is okay Phil.. Hope he'll be fully recovered soon...

A clear reminder of how things can go down in the street and escalate..

JPinAZ
10-09-2007, 09:51 AM
Sifu Phil,

Such an unfortunate (and un-necessary) incident. I hope your son has a speedy recovery and I wish you both my best.

Jonathan

AndrewS
10-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Phil,

seeing one's child suffer is the worst pain one can endure. I add my good wishes to the rest here, in hopes that, in some tiny way, they may help that pain.

Andrew

Zhang Yong Chun
10-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Jesus.

Bellevue is one of the best hospitals.

This transcends everything else.

Hope he heals and that no one cowboys up. You're right to let the law handle it.

God bless you and your family.

southernkf
10-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Hi Phil,

Thank good it wasn't worse. Your son is in my prayers and I hope all goes as well as it possibly can.

planetwc
10-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Phil,

I am glad to hear he survived the shooting. As a father, that is the worst kind of news one can hear. Best wishes and hope for a speedy recovery. I hope in the long term, things end up ok for him and that there is no further bad blood between him and his attackers. It is bad enough when strangers randomly attack others, but for someone to have intent to kill someone they've known most of their lives is scary.

It is very true what you are saying about all the testosterone filled posts on this forum and others. Things can quickly get out of hand, and we should all know better. Good to see you are keeping your wits about you.

Perhaps moving your son somewhere else, will end the cycle. This has already escalated too far.

Stay strong.

Ultimatewingchun
10-09-2007, 01:29 PM
I was thinking the same thing, Phil...

Get your son out of there.

We'll talk further about it on the phone. I might have some suggestions about where he might be able to find an apartment (we are talking here in Brooklyn, right?)...

Stay strong.

-Victor

russellsherry
10-09-2007, 04:45 PM
hi sifu phill sorry to here about this anyone that has to use a weopon is a coward but we all know that , best wishes to your family peace russell sherry

GeneChing
10-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Despite the "animousity on this forum" it's good and pleasant to see that everyone is behind you on this one, Phil. What a horrible situation. Let us know if you need anything.

byond1
10-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Im so sorry Phil. You know I lost a child, so I more than anyone, understand the pain of having our children injured or lost to us. Im thankfull for you, he survived. If you need anything, please contact me!

Brian

donbdc
10-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Very sorry to hear about your son Phil. I have 2 boys of my own and can only imagine what you are going through. My prayers will be w/ you and yours tonight.
Don

FlyingCrane
10-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Hey Phil,

I said this to you in my reply to you in the "Questions on Traditional Wing Chun" thread, but I realize you are not likely to be checking other threads right now, considering what you're going through. So I posted this here also.

I'm very sorry to hear about your son. Thank god he's alive though. I hope he is coming along fine with healing.

Hang in there. I look forward to hearing back from you when you are up to it. You obviously have a great deal of knowledge and experience with more than one Wing Chun system.

mickey
10-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Hi,

I wish your son a full recovery.

mickey

Lugoman
10-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Sorry to hear about your son Phil, I wish him a complete recovery.

tjwingchun
10-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Phil,

My thoughts with your son and the rest of your family. Hope for a full and speedy recovery.

Trevor

rindge
10-12-2007, 07:36 AM
Phil, sorry to hear the news. Hope your son recovers soon.

Rindge

donbdc
10-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Hey Phil,
How is your son? How is he progressing?
Keeping you and yours in our prayers.
Don Berry

Phil Redmond
10-12-2007, 11:40 PM
I just got back to South Jersey from NY and I saw my son. He's home now and can't really understand why all this happened. He has his own construction business and isn't involved with trouble makers. He thought the fight was over even when the two guys walked past him until they turned and fired at him. But his memory of the two guys looking into his face while firing point blank at him has made him look at things differently. Luckily they only had two rounds between them and ran out of bullets.
Phil

Hendrik
10-13-2007, 09:13 AM
I just got back to South Jersey from NY and I saw my son. He's home now and can't really understand why all this happened. He has his own construction business and isn't involved with trouble makers. He thought the fight was over even when the two guys walked past him until they turned and fired at him. But his memory of the two guys looking into his face while firing point blank at him has made him look at things differently. Luckily they only had two rounds between them and ran out of bullets.
Phil

Phil,

Excellent to know your son is doing well. I am sure as a father you must be really under stress. Take care.

if you son has any trauma or shock. got to get some threatment so that it doesnt cause subsconcious fear burried inside him.

Your son must be a very special person bless by God, and we need to learn from his incident.

peace

doug maverick
10-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Phil
i'm sorry to here you son got shot but thank god he survived. thats a blessing right there he's got alot of angels watching over him. this is something i talked about. i live in new york and i understand the situation times have changed you just can;t get into fights anbd not worry about whats going to happen tomorrow peoples ego's are to big their all worried about their stupid ****ing street cred, so when they get their as whipped they turn into cowards and go get guns. i hope they catch these *******s if they haven't already. god bless your family

Great Equalizer
10-15-2007, 04:57 PM
.My youngest son was shot 3 times yesterday.
Witnesses say he fought and beat two guys who live in the same building earlier in the day. They came back later for revenge with a gun. He was hit in the leg, shoulder, and a bullet grazed his head. I just talked to him on the phone at the hospital and he is doing well. I guess this tradgedy has made me reflect about how we take things for granted. You never know when it's your time. I've seen lots of animousity on this forum. As martial artists we should strive to be more civil to each other. On another note I also thought about how there are rarely fair fights in the streets. That's why the no come back rule applies in some instances. But, I also think the best defense is common sense.

I'm glad to hear he's okay. As a fellow combat vet, it's always hard to hear when one of our boys takes it hard. But It's also uplifting to know the American spirit is alive and well in you son, and family.
"Rangers Lead the Way".
2/75

Phil Redmond
10-15-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm glad to hear he's okay. As a fellow combat vet, it's always hard to hear when one of our boys takes it hard. But It's also uplifting to know the American spirit is alive and well in you son, and family.
"Rangers Lead the Way".
2/75
Thanks to you and all for the kind words.

R0D
10-20-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi Phil
I'm sorry to hear about the assault. I hope your son makes a full recovery.
Nice to hear he's okay. I truly hope they get the gunman that did this.

saifa5k
10-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Wow Phil, I am really sorry to hear about your son getting shot. I sure hope he recovers OK.
Dave