PDA

View Full Version : Hit him so hard he thought Dumbo squished him

diego
10-09-2007, 03:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzYMX_3K_xE

rampage jackson punches with 1800 pounds of force by putting his azz into it in order to knock you on your azz

David Jamieson
10-09-2007, 03:57 PM
typically, most fighters put their ass into it. the kinetic linking is important and is part and parcel to kungfu training. (borrowing energy from the ground, remember?) :p

1800 lbs of force is pretty good. that's a solid punch for sure.

BlueTravesty
10-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Ahh, kinetic linking, energy starting in the feet, driving up through the legs, and up through the core, ending at the fist

If only, IF ONLY Chinese Martial arts had an equivalent concept. If only they taught big, swinging punches! If ONLY the earth were round...

kidswarrior
10-09-2007, 09:14 PM
I've long believed that pro heavyweight boxers got 1000 lbs. per sq. inch into a punch. So, yeah, 1800 sounds off the charts. Still, did they start measuring differently, was I always wrong, or is Rampage just dynamite?

sanjuro_ronin
10-10-2007, 05:10 AM
Its not just the HW that pack a wallop:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6228040.stm

sanjuro_ronin
10-10-2007, 05:12 AM
Of course there is impact force, kinetic energy, impulse, etc, etc.

PSI is not a good measure of impact force, its a pressure mesurment, not an impact measurment.

kidswarrior
10-10-2007, 05:57 AM
Of course there is impact force, kinetic energy, impulse, etc, etc.

PSI is not a good measure of impact force, its a pressure mesurment, not an impact measurment.This is really interesting, as was the article on Hitman. Can you help me understand the difference a little better (I'm kinda slow). It seems one difference would be, pressure could be slow, impact would depend on speed? Or another way to look at it (?), pressure is lab, impact is ring/street? Don't know, but would like to hear thoughts on this.

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-10-2007, 07:06 AM
If only, IF ONLY Chinese Martial arts had an equivalent concept. If only they taught big, swinging punches! If ONLY the earth were round...

Reply]
Tuck the tail bone, sink the chest, round the shoulders...use mechanics of open/close and coiling.....

sanjuro_ronin
10-10-2007, 08:47 AM
This is really interesting, as was the article on Hitman. Can you help me understand the difference a little better (I'm kinda slow). It seems one difference would be, pressure could be slow, impact would depend on speed? Or another way to look at it (?), pressure is lab, impact is ring/street? Don't know, but would like to hear thoughts on this.

Pressure is just that, pressure (think squeeze) and impact is just that ( think hammer on nail).
Pressure would "read" like a fairly constant progression to the top factor where as impact would be a dramatic spike from 0 to X value.
Strikes are best mesured with impact force, energy and impulse, rather than psi.
Think G's, newtones, Lb's of force and Joules, rather than PSI.

BlueTravesty
10-10-2007, 05:21 PM

Reply]
Tuck the tail bone, sink the chest, round the shoulders...use mechanics of open/close and coiling.....

I was being a might sarcastic, but I agree. However, I was thinking more along the lines of rooting and spiral energy.

However, EVERYONE KNOWS that rooting does nothing for you in a fight (I'd love to see what that punch woulda looked like with Rampage suspended above the ground, with less force than a jab.)

And of course, spiral energy is just a bunch of esoteric chinese martial art nonsense with no applicability to anything in a REAL FIGHT. There's no way that using coiling and twisting motions can increase the working distance of a movement thereby enhancing is potential power. That's just unfounded poppy****.

Jeez, next you're gonna say the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

Sal Canzonieri
10-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Ahh, kinetic linking, energy starting in the feet, driving up through the legs, and up through the core, ending at the fist

What are you talking about?
This is a 3,000 year old concept in CMA, it is what Tong Bei Quan means, "through the back", with energy starting in the feet, driving up through the legs, and up through the core, ending at the fist.

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-10-2007, 07:46 PM
I think he is being sarcastic. :)

BlueTravesty
10-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Sal Canzonieri
What are you talking about?
This is a 3,000 year old concept in CMA, it is what Tong Bei Quan means, "through the back", with energy starting in the feet, driving up through the legs, and up through the core, ending at the fist.
No no no, you're mistaken. Spiral Energy, "through the back" that's just a result of snake-oil salesmanship on the part of CMA. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm still trying to find a penny in the corner of this round room I'm in.

I am of course, just kidding around. Kidding aside, I'm glad you could explain what "tong bei" means in that context. I kept picturing someone trying to throw a punch behind their back, for some reason.

On a serious note, while the concept of rooting and rotation is by no means unique to CMA, the CMA styles that implement it are really the only ones to really make an effort to isolate that aspect and put it in the training. Most other systems, especially modern ones just focus on your coach/instructor shouting "Put your hips into it!" or "Hit harder!" and waiting for you to figure the rudiments of it it out yourself or quit in frustration.

Takuan
10-10-2007, 10:59 PM
I think BlueTravesty is my new favorite poster. XD