PDA

View Full Version : Is this a pure Chan form?

stout
10-12-2007, 09:20 AM
hello,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zjdGr-Guhs

It doesn't appear to me as just Chan, it looks there's Cheung Yim or Buk Sing added as well. I have seen that in a few of Wong Ha's students demo as well. Am I just confused?

Cheers
S

Ben Gash
10-12-2007, 09:59 AM
What's pure these days? We're 150+ years on. Things get picked up, things get dropped and things get changed.

firepalm
10-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Wong Ha learnt his CLF originally from Chan Yiu Chi & then after migrating to Hong Kong, he trained under his Sihing Tong Shek (also a student of Chan Yiu Chi whom Wong Ha acknowledged as his Sifu & himself being listed as 5th Generation).

The person performing is a student of Sifu Hilbert Yiu, a long time student of Wong Ha. Wong Ha has had many, many students since the mid 60s and those that have since gone on to teach, like Sifu Hilbert Yiu, have all added there own little modifications & such. In fact the CLF of one club stemming from Wong Ha can sometimes look very different from another.

By lineage is it Chan's? I guess so. Elements similar to Jeung Yim & Buk Sing? It's all CLF right?

:cool:

iron_silk
10-12-2007, 11:47 AM
I spoke with the performer of that particular form and I believe he said that it is

Ba Gwa Sum (75%) beginning and the end it is changed it for demo/competing/keep things interesting purposes.

So although it is from Chan Lineage it has been modified on purpose by the performer.

Also Sifu Hilbert Yiu school teaches wushu and probably mixed some basic elements together. Since wushu is based mainly on traditional northern style that's probably why you would believe it to be similar to Buk Sing.

CLFNole
10-12-2007, 11:47 AM
The 9 baat kwa sets which this is a part of are part of the Chan family side or to expand Chan Koon Pak's hung sing. These sets are generally not part of the Jeong Yim or Tam Sam line's.

With that all out of the way is it pure Chan? Maybe the pattern/set itself but everything else is just CLF.

hskwarrior
10-12-2007, 12:37 PM
I wanted to edit this to make it more clear.

i've spoken with people about this because i wondered myself if it was connected to the Jeong Yim lineage. It seems i think someone in the lineage is connected to Chui Cheung.

However, the first few moves in the opening are in fact connected to the Fut San hung sing kwoon. those opening moves are found in Lau Bun's Yuen Hai lineage, and Chan Ngau Sing's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjqIkz-_FKU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMqGdIzCDzg

and then there's this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z1NXmn-RAw

but the clip in mention, yeah, its part hung sing fut san in the first few moves, but is a chan family set.

CLFNole
10-12-2007, 12:57 PM
I think many sifus have changed hoi jongs over the years. Also remember all the various sifus used to interact amongst each other back in the day. There wasn't all the division that exists today.

stout
10-12-2007, 01:15 PM
I like this form. The flow seems good. Thumbs up to the performer.

hskwarrior
10-12-2007, 01:26 PM
thats true, they may have all been friends. but no one outside the hung sing branch has seen our hoi jong performed by any of you here on the forum. but verification of our fut san hoi jong starts with the Yuen Hai lineage, or any others from Lee Yan or Lui Chun, and Chan Ngau Sing.

No other lineage does our hoi jong. Buk Sing does fut san hoi jong with a buk sing ear mark. but its still fut san hoi jong. Not just Choy Lee FUt. it IS what we use to identify if you are part of our family or not.

CLFNole
10-12-2007, 01:32 PM
At this day and age I really don't care much about hoi jongs. I mean really it is nice that they meant something along time ago but really in todays times they are just openings.

I am also not sure how much they meant along time ago either as forms weren't very important back then but rather techniques of the style.

stout
10-12-2007, 01:40 PM
I am also not sure how much they meant along time ago either as forms weren't very important back then but rather techniques of the style.

So what is the essense in the technique of each lineage?

-Chan Hung Sing
-Chueng Hung Sing
-Buk Sing

Buk Sing is know for peen sun when attacking and chap. Chueng Hung Sing is know for sau. What about the Chan then?

hskwarrior
10-12-2007, 01:42 PM
before anyone starts jumping up and saying but its all clf.......

for the fut san hung sing lineage around the world there are only a few schools existing outside fut san.

of course we got lau bun's lineage in usa (yuen hai), Singapore HSK )lee Yan, and Chui Kwong Yuen's Chan Ngau Sing lineage. now, within our lineages, we recognize techniques, but the sets are different. so, in our search to find what was supposed original fut san we began comparing and noting what is common between the lineages.

one thing we've agreed that amongst the three main forms of hung sing, there is one hoi jong which is found in all true hung sing and buk sing lineages. and thats part of the first few moves in the set being discussed.

not drumming up no issues, just pointing out to why the hoi jong is important to us.

hskwarrior
10-12-2007, 01:49 PM
and sorry clfnole, don't take this wrong either.....

but its cool you don't care......some of us do.....

in your LHK lineage, you know you are chan family. all the info you need on your lineage is right at your fingertips thanks to the past masters.

the fut san lineage is just now coming together after so long of a separation from the rest of us.

If our lineage didn't second guess each other, we would never have discovered what was most likely original since nothing has changed since 1851.

so when folks start asking about which is fut san, and chan family........there is only a very few but silent people here that represent fut san hsk, aside from my loud mouth arse right?

all the rest are chan family..........so when people ask about the differences you have to be open to hearing OUR side and then make your decision.....don't shoot it down cause you don't care about it. some people actually do, and want to hear what is being said.

sometimes.....

but i just wanted to make myself clear. sorry man.

CLFNole
10-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Frank:

Its all good, I might have been a bit wrong in the way I said what I did. My FSU Seminoles lost last night so I have been a bit PO'd today. When I was reading your post and you said something like "no one has seen our (yours) hoi jong" I took it wrong.

I think all hoi jongs are important and I understand what it means to you its just I try not to get too caught up in things like that becuase it only makes you crazy in the end. We (LKH line) have 2 different hoi jongs as you know one more Chan and the other Jeong Yim.

I think when peple examine hoi jongs they all share similarities and differences but you will typically see the 3 bow sequence in some shape or form.

I hold each branch at the same level not one higher than another.

hskwarrior
10-12-2007, 02:48 PM
yeah i agree with you, but see, you have your lineage's hoi jong, we now have discovered what may be the official old school fut san hoi jong shared by all true hung sing's. the chan fam knows theirs.....

see, in knowing our fut san hoi jong, it allowed me to see where buk sing placed their earmarks on the hoi jong we all have.

in the big scheme of things, it doesn't matter. but when it comes to self identifying.....it means the world.....at least to me.

CLFNole
10-12-2007, 03:07 PM
In that regard I see where you are coming from but it seems to me all kung fu has changed over the years to some degree and I would think the same has happened to hoi jongs as well.

hskwarrior
10-12-2007, 03:29 PM
actually, our fut san hoi jong hasn't really changed much.....you have to always allow some play room, but as you know our lau bun lineage is pretty old, and we've never had any outside contact, but to meet up with people who have virtually the same set opening as you when you thought no one else ever would is comforting to me.

not much has changed though.......

Satori Science
10-12-2007, 04:49 PM
I can see the sections of the form that look fut san, but when ever I have met, seen or competed against Sifu Hilbert's students there CLF has always looked more wushu than Fut San to me. But then they have many forms I havent seen. That said I've always gotten along with them fine (CLF Yat Ga) I even judged the Vancouver Tiger Balm Wushu divisions with one of his senior students this year.

This is one of Sifu Hilbert's students whom I judged in at the year's Tiger Balm. He ended up taking under 18 traditional forms Grand Champion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOU-r3Gx_Bo

gwa_sau_chap
10-20-2007, 03:56 AM
hello,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zjdGr-Guhs

It doesn't appear to me as just Chan, it looks there's Cheung Yim or Buk Sing added as well. I have seen that in a few of Wong Ha's students demo as well. Am I just confused?

Cheers
S

Hi everyone, I am the person performing in this video. Surprised that it'd be on a forum, didnt think ppl would even watch the video, lol! I have been practising Chan family CLF for over 10 years now and wushu for a lil over 5 years, and never been fortunate enough to learn other branches of CLF. Thanks to youtube, I am able to gain a bit of knowledge about the other Hung Sing and Buk Sing.

I am not sure which part of my form looks anything but Chan family, altho I am aware that other Chan family practitioners can look different from me as well. However, my background and foundation is Chan family CLF and then after many years, then I began my training in wushu. I have also heard from this forum that there's some wushu mixed in there or that we have wushu influenced into our (Hilbert Yiu's group) CLF forms. I can promise and guarantee that I, personally have not added any wushu movements into my modified Bagua Sum. Each movement that has been changed are from CLF basic techniques, including the side kick and the jumping Chang Fu (please excuse my translation, hehehe). But I am aware that there are wushu influences in my performances, and I tell you what they are in my opinion: head snaps, longer pauses (but that's cuz i'm outta shape as well, lol). These are the only wushu essenses that i've added to my CLF, everything else belongs to my clf training.

Please let me know if you disagree with what i've said and let's exchange knowledge and perhaps, we can learn something from each other. This is not an open invitation for debates or arguments, cause I've seen some pretty heated arguments in here and I know it can get outta hand with some people (you know who you are, hehehe), and I'd like to avoid that. I'm open for suggestions and improvement of my CLF training and if possible, make a few friends in CLF.

Thanks,

Gwa_Sau_Chap
Nelson from Vancouver, Canada

Satori Science
10-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Hey Nelson, good on you dude!
Have we met, are you Sifu Hilbert's student I was emailing with on youtube? If so I'll get off my arse and send you those vids.

Either way, didn't mean to insinuate that your CLF was wushu, just that the performance style of the studets I've seen from your school has an obvious Wushu flavour to it. As you pointed out as well right?

Cheers Bro, :D

gwa_sau_chap
10-21-2007, 12:34 AM
Hey SatoriScience,

Yeah, that's me on youtube that you chatted with, no worries about the vids! It's not a biggie!

Yeah, I mite have a tangy wushu flavor to my clf (but that's my personal preference and my "style" lol) but in my opinion, my classmates don't have wushu flavors in their clf really. Especially the guy in your video that you judged for his grandchamp (broadsword video), he's never done wushu before in his life, so I wouldn't say he has any wushu flavor in his forms. How you tell that i have wushu flavor in my clf? Wat do i do that wushu-nize it? Is that a bad thing? Just wonderin, dats all, =)

Cheers Bro

Gwa_Sau_Chap

hskwarrior
10-21-2007, 09:34 AM
if i may......

i'd say only a small amount of wu-shu flavor there. i thinks its in some of the transitions......like a small pause......but not where CLF people would pause.....you got spirit for sure.......strong perfomance.......

only bits n pieces in my opinion have wu-shu-ist flare...........and not a problem.

its a performance.........not a fight.

but i watched it again, you do have more intensity found in tcma than you see in wu shu.....wushu seems sooo soft and supple.......you got the tight strong power going on here.

Eddie
10-21-2007, 10:47 AM
I like that form and performance. You kicked ass. I also agree with the other, slight wushu feel to it, but its a good thing.

I take it you do nanquan right? woudnt mind seeing your nanquan form. You'd probably do it witha CLF flavor :D

you not going to beijing to the wushu champs by any chance are you?

hskwarrior
10-21-2007, 11:15 AM
BUT I THINK I'D HAVE A PROBLEM IF HE ADDED MORE WU SHU TO IT.....

A LITTLE LIFE, OR EVEN ACTING IS OK.....AS I SAID EARLIER, ITS A PERFORMANCE NOT A FIGHT.

WU SHU HAS ITS PLACE JUST AS DOES tcma. BUT BEING A DISCIPLE OF EITHER WILL SPILL OVER TO THE OTHER STYLE.

CLFNole
10-21-2007, 12:14 PM
My only question would be if your sifu had already had a wushu influence in his CLF then he teaches you and your fellow classmates how would you know what influences his kung fu had? You would just think it is CLF.

I competed at Sifu John Leung's Tournament in WA in 1995 and your school was there. Guys were practicing and doing typical CLF moves then jumping into splits. Maybe things have changed over the years but there was a definate wushu flair back then. Not that there is anything wrong with it but since Wong Ha taught many students in Vancouver you can probably look at the different schools and pick up similarities and differences.

gwa_sau_chap
10-21-2007, 08:49 PM
My only question would be if your sifu had already had a wushu influence in his CLF then he teaches you and your fellow classmates how would you know what influences his kung fu had? You would just think it is CLF.

I competed at Sifu John Leung's Tournament in WA in 1995 and your school was there. Guys were practicing and doing typical CLF moves then jumping into splits. Maybe things have changed over the years but there was a definate wushu flair back then. Not that there is anything wrong with it but since Wong Ha taught many students in Vancouver you can probably look at the different schools and pick up similarities and differences.

Hi CLFNole,

U make a very good point. Honestly, I can't say I KNOW for sure that my sifu hasn't added the influence of wushu into his clf by the time I joined. However, I would say he doesn't have much wushu influence because his foundation has been CLF for over 20 years and only wushu for like.....not even close to that. My sifu's training in wushu is viewed (by me) as more of a supplement to his CLF training for performance purposes. When he teaches us, all concepts and theories and all techniques and forms are CLF. I've never asked him what he took from wushu and added into CLF but I'd imagine it'd be along the lines of solely visual beauty. As well, wen we train with him and when he performs, my sifu doesn't combine any wushu movements into his forms, other than a flare/flavor (in my opinion cuz i'm jus so amazed by his performances) and that could be wushu influenced, or from his CLF training or his personal flavor from neither sources, i dunno.

However, you are right, back then, our school did add aerials and splits into our forms, that was due to tough competition against wushu practitioners (back then they combined all wushu and non-wushu into "soft style" categories). We have cut that aspect out once they started to separate wushu from traditional soft styles and I'm guessing it's because of the separation but my sifu didn't tell me why back then, i just cut it out cuz he said so.

Another great point you made is in regard to the other students of sigung Wong Ha have many differences and similiarities. I'd say more differences than similarities. That I really really can't explain why, and i'd like to know as well! I believe it'd be too simplistic to just say the cause is of personal preference or flavor. Wat do you think?

Hi Eddie, thank you for your kind words! I actually trained in most of the older compulsory forms however, nanchuan was my area of focus and yes, i used my CLF knowledge to guide my movements in that form. However, I've stopped most of my training in wushu since my ACL injury and operation and stuck strictly to CLF. If I had a chance to go to wushu olympics, I'd prefer to represent CLF than wushu. Only because I've already redirected my focus and I don't have enough time to catch up to the standards of the professional wushu athlete's levels.

Thank you HSK for your compliment as well. You're right, wen i was training in both CLF and wushu, it was interferring with my training in both fields and I tried to manage both of them without it's bias on each other. But that ended me with being crappy in both disciplines! lol! A strange blessing came along when I broke my knee and that gave me the answer I was looking for.

Take cares

CLFNole
10-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Gwa Sau Chop:

I think this can be said for all of us because afterall we follow what our sifu's teach us. What influences they have in their kung fu we really might not know until later on. In no way was I ever trying to imply that your sifu does not teach CLF concepts or principals, I was just raising the question if there is a slight wushu flair to your forms would you really even know it. Since you have a wushu background it might not seem as much but to people that might have only done southern styles it could appear more noticable.

In any case you guys do your forms well and there is nothing wrong with having a different flavor. Personally I think this is a good thing and something that separates kung fu from karate and TKD where everything looks the same. All CLF shares the same basic seeds and concepts yet we all interpret and demonstrate things a bit different, this is a good thing.

Peace.

Satori Science
10-22-2007, 02:24 PM
What I've noticed in Van is that adding a little wushu flare is pretty common for many schools who actively compete. Many of the schools who teach trad forms supplement their cirru. with Wushu and thus "spice" their forms up (a little). For instance one of my gung fu sister's from Jonh Funks mantis school was training with Hung Ga Master Raymond Chueng's UBC CMA club and learning wushu, not Hung Ga. In Master Chueng's forms you see pointed straight kicks to the forehead, a little uncommon in trad. hung ga if I am correct?

I understand what gua sow chop is saying about the pre-seperation soft style divisions out in Van and the need to add some flare to compete against wushu.My sifu's first schools were in Vancouver and he changed our northern forms around for the exact same reason. How ever he left our southern forms untouched, in fact in all of our forms we only play one kick above the waist no spinning kicks etc. We have limited our "flare" to our northern cirriculm to keep our southern forms "pure" (a problematic statement I'm sure but still quite accurate) or atleast as close to the way he learned them as possible.

stout
10-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Hey Gwa Sau Chap,

Just wondering do you guys mainly practice forms. do you do applications or any sparring? Just curious about your curiculum.

Cheers
-S

ChoyLeeFat
10-23-2007, 03:45 PM
hey stout, im also from the shung ying camp, im gwa sau chap's sidai...
just to answer your question about our curriculum, we do forms, lion dance and we do do applications and sparring. however we dont put up videos of it cuz we like to keep our "inside stuff" secret hehh...

dai mui fa
10-23-2007, 08:33 PM
What I've noticed in Van is that adding a little wushu flare is pretty common for many schools who actively compete. Many of the schools who teach trad forms supplement their cirru. with Wushu and thus "spice" their forms up (a little). For instance one of my gung fu sister's from Jonh Funks mantis school was training with Hung Ga Master Raymond Chueng's UBC CMA club and learning wushu, not Hung Ga. In Master Chueng's forms you see pointed straight kicks to the forehead, a little uncommon in trad. hung ga if I am correct?

I understand what gua sow chop is saying about the pre-seperation soft style divisions out in Van and the need to add some flare to compete against wushu.My sifu's first schools were in Vancouver and he changed our northern forms around for the exact same reason. How ever he left our southern forms untouched, in fact in all of our forms we only play one kick above the waist no spinning kicks etc. We have limited our "flare" to our northern cirriculm to keep our southern forms "pure" (a problematic statement I'm sure but still quite accurate) or atleast as close to the way he learned them as possible.

SatoriScience,

If you consider the Choy Lee Fut you're practicing now is southern and that you're keeping your southern forms "pure", then you should review the history and style of Choy Lee Fut.

http://www.plumblossom.net/ChoyLiFut/history.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choi_Lei_Fut
http://www.choylayfut.co.za/

Choy Lee Fut is known for the blending together of "southern fist" and "northern kicks" as well as large circular movements. Choy Lee Fut is relatively northern in the spectrum within the family of southern styles.

Dai Mui Fa

gwa_sau_chap
10-23-2007, 11:56 PM
Gwa Sau Chop:

I think this can be said for all of us because afterall we follow what our sifu's teach us. What influences they have in their kung fu we really might not know until later on. In no way was I ever trying to imply that your sifu does not teach CLF concepts or principals, I was just raising the question if there is a slight wushu flair to your forms would you really even know it. Since you have a wushu background it might not seem as much but to people that might have only done southern styles it could appear more noticable.

Hi CLFNole,

No, no offense taken about my sifu teaching CLF concepts or principals, i kno you were just makin a support for your question, i understand, no worries =)

You're right, because I've wushu background, to me, my clf doesn't seem very wushu at all, whereas for people without the wushu background, it may seem "wushu"ish. However, if you had a chance to take a look at a video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkzvAe7i2m0 , the performers in there are purely CLF, that's before my sifu started his wushu training (my sifu's the guy performing with the big staff...i love that video!! so awesome! hehehehe) and the way they performed the sets, the hands and techniques, the chuan li, or hand technique concepts/theories are very similar to what our school practises today. The changes that our school has made are very minimal considering a time difference of 20+ years. So going back to my original post, the only difference is really just slight wushu changes (head snaps and longer pauses). Of course if you look closely, that video and the video of me have many differences, however, overall, the way the techniques are executed (the path from origin to designated targeted area, aka, chuan li/hand techniques) are very much the same.

I hope I was able to convey my meaning and message in that big mess of what I call my english. It's difficult to encode my meaning in writing as suppose to that I was able to speak to you, it'd be probably alot more clearer of what I'm trying to say. But I'd like to thank you for your insight because that really made me reflect on my sifu's teachings and it's changes in the last 20+ years. And it's great to see my sigung in that video, man, I miss that guy! Great cook too!

Hey Stout,

Just to clarify what ChoyLeeFat was tryin to say, our curriculum pretty comprises of the "typical" CLF class i guess, never really seen other schools and their class regimens but I assume it's pretty much the same. We do sparring, we do applications and lion & dragon dances. Its just our club policy that we don't post up everything that we do. Hope that answers ur question!

Take cares

Satori Science
10-24-2007, 04:03 AM
SatoriScience,

Choy Lee Fut is known for the blending together of "southern fist" and "northern kicks" as well as large circular movements. Choy Lee Fut is relatively northern in the spectrum within the family of southern styles.

Dai Mui Fa

Agreed that CLF has a history of blending, it is a blended art,
someday when I am ready I will post some video of our southern sets, manily because when I look at the Lee Koon Hung forms or the Chan family forms they look much more northern to me than ours do. If you watch the Bak Hsing forms that are up on youtube you don't see any hopping (except the kick and the hop in the hoi jong) no standing on one leg no spinning kicks and almsot no kicks at all (a few exceptions) It may have been because Tam Sam's back round was Hung Kuen, or because you don't see as much of northern flare in the Fut San My SIfu also told me that though Tam Fei Pang emphasised on the coordination of punches and kicks in fighting, Lun Chee didn't beleive in kikcing at all. He said that one should nevr lift the feet off the ground wehn fighting.

dai mui fa
10-24-2007, 05:18 AM
Agreed that CLF has a history of blending, it is a blended art,
someday when I am ready I will post some video of our southern sets, manily because when I look at the Lee Koon Hung forms or the Chan family forms they look much more northern to me than ours do. If you watch the Bak Hsing forms that are up on youtube you don't see any hopping (except the kick and the hop in the hoi jong) no standing on one leg no spinning kicks and almsot no kicks at all (a few exceptions) It may have been because Tam Sam's back round was Hung Kuen, or because you don't see as much of northern flare in the Fut San My SIfu also told me that though Tam Fei Pang emphasised on the coordination of punches and kicks in fighting, Lun Chee didn't beleive in kikcing at all. He said that one should nevr lift the feet off the ground wehn fighting.

I found on this site saying that Buk Sing has only 3 hand forms. Is this correct according to your knowledge?
http://members-central.optushome.com.au/meanstreets/clf/clftam.htm
and yet, there are 148 hand forms in the Chan family branch and somewhat less from the Hung Sing branch (taken account to previous Grandmasters might have created some new forms).
http://www.clfma.com/au/content/view/22/38/

That might explain why the Chan family and Hung Sing might have more of a northern flare compared to Buk Sing.

If you look at the "sup ji" cross pattern, and "ping kuen" level fist forms on youtube from either the Chan family or Hung Sing branches,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lE4XFjU5w8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04I3DIs07AQ
you'll find that these forms don't have much of northern flare in them.

But when look at other forms such as "siu mui fa","bak mo kuen", and the"Baat Gwa kuens"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocr5SPFNQbQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpb_YUtuIlw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H2GEBlmzJc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxjVQP9Otks
you'd find more single leg, jumps, and kicks in them.

So whether there's northern flare or not, it has more to do with the particular form you're doing.

hskwarrior
10-24-2007, 06:44 AM
originally, Hung Sing Fut San Branch only had three forms too. Then it turned into 5 and kept on growing. each branch and school has the duty to evolve the school.....hell everyone does it from chan heung, to the shaolin temple......

not ALL of buk sing has northern flavor since not all of buk sing went to ku yu cheung.

forget the fact that buk sing only had three forms, to tell you the truth, i'd rather have only three forms that covered ALL of choy lee fut.

number of forms means nothing, anyone can create a form.

CLFNole
10-24-2007, 07:12 AM
Satori:

The reason our forms (LKH) and the Chan Family forms looking a like is that our forms primarily come from them albeit slightly different as we are outside of the direct family. The way we play the sets (extension, flow, etc...) though is similar.

Gwa Sau Chop:

I have seen that video before it has the same feel as when I watch my sifu's school in Hong Kong perform. I was always under the assumption that this was a performance of Wong Ha's school and not specifically your sifu's school. It is easy to pick out you sifu as he is a tall guy. Anyhow it is always interesting to watch the old videos and see how things change over time. The same goes with us, Lee Koon Hung's students in old videos I have did things slightly different then we do today, nothing major but slightly different. This is how kung fu evolves I suppose.

Peace.

hskwarrior
10-24-2007, 07:26 AM
clfnole,

in your opinion, do you think LKH took what he felt was effective from his peers and blended it into his own fighting method?

Now, i know this question may sound wrong, but its not intended like that in any way. i'd like to know so i never have to ask again. although you guys are geared more toward chan family clf, why do you use the fut san hung sing?

just curious. nothing more.

CLFNole
10-24-2007, 07:38 AM
Frank:

Yes sifu blended what he learned from many people. He learned early on from Poon Dik (not sure how long as Poon Dik passes away early in sifu's learning) then from Leung Sai, Chow Bing, Poon Sing, and So Kam Fook (sisuk). He also learned from Leung Siu Kueng (Leung Kwai's nephew) and possibly others, so yes he blended what he learned.

As far as the hung sing thing I believe it had to do with politics back in the day. There is no question where our stuff comes from.

hskwarrior
10-24-2007, 07:49 AM
yeah, lee koon hung WAS respected for promoting hung sing by many masters.....all who have spoken highly of him.

but thats great that the evidence of LKH's knowledge gain from many is in his lineage. i had a feeling he absorbed knowledge and you guys are his proof.

gwa_sau_chap
10-25-2007, 03:08 AM
Gwa Sau Chop:
I was always under the assumption that this was a performance of Wong Ha's school and not specifically your sifu's school.

Hi CLFNole,

At the time of that performance in the video, my sifu was assisting in sigung's school because my sifu was there practically every minute of everyday (simple life back then, no school...ahhhh...swweettt, hehehe) so he was very involved with the class curriculum. Not to say that sigung wasn't teaching either, just my sifu was helping out alot around the club by that time. It wasn't long after that my sifu started his first club in Delta, BC. However, my point wasn't that my sifu was teaching alot and stuff back then, I was just trying to point to the fact that despite whether it was my sifu teaching those people or sigung, generally, their hands (Chuan Li) and techniques are very similar to our hands and techniques in our school today. Meaning that our school's wushu influence is only limited to performance aspects (pauses and head snaps) and not mixed/combined in together with our school's CLF teachings (forms, chuan li, sparring, etc).

With respect,

CLFNole
10-25-2007, 07:27 AM
Gwa Sau Chop:

I hear what you are saying the techniques are definately the same; however the look or flavor of the sets does look a bit different. The clip is more "old school" if you will and this happens in all schools. The way sets look over time evolves with the times. The sets themselves are basically the same but the way they played is what changes with time (not the whole form but typically parts).

By the way do you speak mandarin? Reason I ask is the way you write "chuan li", I believe this would be "chuen la" in cantonese. Do you also speak cantonese because I thought that is what your sifu spoke but maybe he speaks both?

Eddie
10-25-2007, 07:39 AM
quan li is hand skill. Guess it would be Kuen Lek in cantonese?

dai mui fa
10-25-2007, 02:28 PM
I think we are all referring to "拳理" .

gwa_sau_chap
10-25-2007, 08:23 PM
CLFNole,

Yeah, totally agree with you on the change of way forms are done. It does happen in all schools no matter how hard you try to maintain it.

I am a cantonese native speaker, but I've learned mandarin in school but as you can tell, i'm not very good! lol!! My sifu speaks both mandarin and cantonese but primarily, he speaks cantonese.

But I believe Eddie has the proper pin yin there and Dai Mui Fa jus "spelled" it right out for us.

Take cares

CLFNole
10-25-2007, 08:40 PM
So you were referring to "kuen lek" or fist power?

Wasn't sure my cantonese is "mah mah dei" so spelling words in cantonese is a problem. Actually my cantonese is not that bad for a gwai lo. When you live with 3 chinese women who watch TVB constantly you haveno choice but to learn, especially when they are talking about me.

gwa_sau_chap
10-25-2007, 08:57 PM
So you were referring to "kuen lek" or fist power?

Wasn't sure my cantonese is "mah mah dei" so spelling words in cantonese is a problem. Actually my cantonese is not that bad for a gwai lo. When you live with 3 chinese women who watch TVB constantly you haveno choice but to learn, especially when they are talking about me.

hahaha!! No, your chinese is actually pretty good, it's as good as some of my chinese friends who can't even speak a word of chinese! hahaha!! When I refer to chuan li = quan li = theory/concept of the fist, not the power of the fist.
And in a broader sense, quan li includes primarily the theory of attack and defense which then encompasses the path of the hands and feet, the bodily positions, the designated target areas, etc. Perhaps there might exist another word/phrase that is more specific or general than quan li but that's what me and my sihings call it. My chinese isn't so great either, I'm a CBC (chinese born canadian) after all =)

Take cares

CLFNole
10-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Is that is kinda of like "kuen faht" which generally would refer to fist methods.

Is "li" how you say the word in cantonese? Reason I ask is because chuan and quan are more how one would write mandarin words.

gwa_sau_chap
10-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Is that is kinda of like "kuen faht" which generally would refer to fist methods.

Is "li" how you say the word in cantonese? Reason I ask is because chuan and quan are more how one would write mandarin words.

Kuen Lay (cantonese) would be the theory, and Kuen Faht (cantonese) would be the method. Kuen Lay is the abstract concept and Kuen Faht is the application

Cheers

Eddie
10-26-2007, 03:57 AM
CLFNole, this is term often used by Northern Shaolin players - or least the ones I met that are from Beijing area.
While on the topic, I understand the word Li (理). I always wanted to know - when you say Gong Li (Kung Lek) - like the term you use for skill - Which li would it be? I've heard a few different explanations - 功率 and 功力. While a few people confirmed its 功力, a friend of mine's father insist its 功率 (Luu sounding different).
Sorry to hijack the threat