PDA

View Full Version : ringworm prevention

street_fighter
10-12-2007, 02:37 PM
what can i do to prevent ringworm? Ive only been grappling for a few weeks and I can't train for a week or so because of ringworm on my arm... Do those spandexy drifit shirts that I see people wearing help?

MasterKiller
10-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Yes, keeping as much skin covered as possible will help prevent it.

Ringworm is a fungus, so you have to use fungicide to kill it. Anti-bacterial soap doesn't cut it, neither does bleach (which a lot of people will tell you to use).

doug maverick
10-12-2007, 03:37 PM
awe man yet another reason for me not to get into grappling. j/k:D

AmanuJRY
10-12-2007, 04:24 PM
awe man yet another reason for me not to get into grappling. j/k:D

Only when the owners of the gym/school don't keep the mats clean and sterile.
Personally, I believe mats should be cleaned between each class/group and sterilized at the end of the day.

MasterKiller
10-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Only when the owners of the gym/school don't keep the mats clean and sterile.
Personally, I believe mats should be cleaned between each class/group and sterilized at the end of the day.

It's not always the mats. Sometimes a guy comes in with a bug and infects the whole club.

street_fighter
10-12-2007, 06:44 PM
ok thats good to know. too bad those shirts are so expensive. yeah, i've been treating it (athletes foot cream does the trick), its almost gone. just a pain in the ass.

MasterKiller
10-13-2007, 06:31 AM
ok thats good to know. too bad those shirts are so expensive. yeah, i've been treating it (athletes foot cream does the trick), its almost gone. just a pain in the ass.

Wal-Mart has generic rash guards made by Atheletic Works for $12. They work just as well as the expensive ones.

AmanuJRY
10-13-2007, 06:58 AM
Wal-Mart has generic rash guards made by Atheletic Works for $12. They work just as well as the expensive ones.

I was going to say that, and then mention about personal hygene.:D:cool:

David Jamieson
10-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Train at a gym where they practice basic hygiene.
avoid gyms where they are lazy in this aspect.

cover as much of yourself as possible and keep a big bottle of sanitizing gel in your gym bag.

keep yourself clean at all times and refuse to roll with guys who do not clearly practice good hygiene. (bad breath, unwashed hair, unshaven, body odor etc are all clues that this person doesn't practice good hygiene)

I say this because in my opinion, when people train with each other, they should be thoroughly clean and hygienically courteous.

If they cannot simply respect their own body, they will not respect yours and yes, every session should be followed with disinfectant liberally used on the mats you are rolling on.

If you are a gym owner, work it into your charge system to hire someone who will clean the place for you. If you are a student, be responsible for yourself and be conscious that this is a factor that can seriously effect your training regimen.

doug maverick
10-13-2007, 09:27 AM
i think that would be grounds for dismissal. because if you know your gonna be in close quarters with people you should wash your dirty a$$ i mean thats beyond disgusting. you pay for lessons and your training and next thing you know you get ****ing ringworm. i mean come on that make me want to vomit. but honestly is this common among grappling schools? i doubt i know a few people who do Bjj and wrestling and this is the first time i heard about getting ringworm. ewww

street_fighter
10-13-2007, 09:48 AM
i think that would be grounds for dismissal. because if you know your gonna be in close quarters with people you should wash your dirty a$$ i mean thats beyond disgusting. you pay for lessons and your training and next thing you know you get ****ing ringworm. i mean come on that make me want to vomit. but honestly is this common among grappling schools? i doubt i know a few people who do Bjj and wrestling and this is the first time i heard about getting ringworm. ewww

its very common in grappling, and from what i've heard, it has less to do with personal hygene than you'd think (usually). The first gym i tried out boasted their infrared lights over there mats but just before i left there were two guys in there with ring worm. I can't tell if your saying i should be "dismissed" or someone else, but i stayed right off the mat once i noticed, and thats alot more than alot muscle bound *****s do. alot of guys try to tape over it and keep training and next thing you know the whole club has got it. it lives in the sole of your shoes, and if you step foot on the mat with you street shoes...

doug maverick
10-13-2007, 09:52 AM
nope no grappling for me. at least not at a gym

street_fighter
10-13-2007, 10:03 AM
nope no grappling for me. at least not at a gym

good decision:rolleyes:.

Scott Meneely
10-13-2007, 10:10 AM
put diluted bleach in a spray bottle, get a mop.

before every time you use mats clean them with the above, using a spray bottle will help the mats dry faster than if you used a bucket with the mop.

If you see anyone walking on the mat with shoes on KILL THEM!

Get rashguards, shower immediately after practice.

DMK
10-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Ringworm and athlete's feet ,jocky itch are from the family of the the fungi.Most of you got it right in the prevention of the fungus. This has been a trend that has been growing and recently been on TV in Houston.
To prevent the fungus it does start with keeping your body clean BUT not always the cause.A fungus can develop on any part of the body that REMAINS MOIST, AND DARK. So if you are a heavy sweeter, have excessive hair in those areas make sure you are drying off periodically off.
MAT are easily disinfected by diluting bleaching with water, and placing the mats outside to DRY...DAILY
Mats that are not santinized properly can lead to other disorders called staph infection, boils, and folicitus, and are very painful, require medicine and sometimes surgery for boils.Summer months are usually the active months.

David Jamieson
10-13-2007, 05:14 PM
street shoes or training shoes you wore on the street indeed are major contributors.

You should have a pair of shoes that are specifically for use where you train. If you are adamant about using the same shoes you always wear for say rbsd stuff, then BUY a second pair of the same shoe.