PDA

View Full Version : Tan Tui Origins

DMK
10-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Can someone please explain to me the charteristics of the differnt tan tui. I know they are all excellent foundation training, the confusion starts with shaolin version which I think have a southern flavor to it, then the northern version which i believe is the same as the moslem version then other style like preying mantis annd others have a similar version. I believe Chinwoo have a verision . It get a little con fusing to me, then ther is the 10 road , 12 road ,14 road, and 28road.
thankx

B-Rad
10-12-2007, 04:23 PM
I know they are all excellent foundation training, the confusion starts with shaolin version which I think have a southern flavor to it
You sure it wasn't just a southern stylist doing a shaolin tan tui form? I've never noticed any southern flavor to shaolin tan tui. BTW, which groups practice 14 and 28 road?

xcakid
10-12-2007, 04:28 PM
BTW, which groups practice 14 and 28 road?

Yeah I'd like to know the answer to this also. I've never seen or even knew there were any past 12.

B-Rad
10-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Oh, I did read an article on wikipedia about tan tui mentioning the original version as having 28 roads (one for each letter of the arabic alphabet due to its muslim origins). No idea of the accuracy of that article though.

DMK
10-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Oh, I did read an article on wikipedia about tan tui mentioning the original version as having 28 roads (one for each letter of the arabic alphabet due to its muslim origins). No idea of the accuracy of that article though.

That's were I got thrown off. I know shaolin had 12 roads, Chinwoo have 12 roads as well,I dont know if it is the same but they have 12 roads,now the northern school have 10 roads aka Jiao men tan tui.
B-Rad you are right EVERYONE be careful what you read on wikipedia..

Bruce W Sims
10-13-2007, 07:10 AM
What I find is that TAM TUI has pretty much been adopted by many Chinese MA as part of their trainiing regime. And like PAL DAN KUM ("Eight Pieces of Brocade") everybody seems to have their own variant. Even in the KMA there are systems that use TAM TUI and there is a system of fighting that is actually based on the moves found in the 12 streets. (See: Korean Kung Fu Association).

Personally I would probably worry less about where it came from than in locating or identifying a version which demands to individual execute various moves over the widest possible range of movement. Its an excellent training tool, but like so much in the MA community people seem to always look to make it easier, faster and cheaper, right? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Sal Canzonieri
10-13-2007, 11:54 PM
The 10 Road version is the original, the Moslem Cha Quan based on, it was a foundational set developed from Cha Quan and related Hua Quan. Toi Quan is related as well. I think there was 28 roads originally, the rest after the 10 were made into separate forms over time.

All the rest came later, far as I know.

There is a 6 road version that is part of 6 Harmony.
There is a 18 road version that Liu Yun Chiao 's Wu-Tang schools teach. I learned it from there.

There are a lot of different but essentially the same versions of the basic 10 tan toi, as there are a lot of versions of the Shaolin based 12 tan toi.

Plus, then there is the Jing Wu schools 12 tan toi, which is flavored by whatever stuff they taught there.

You'll go crazy if you worry about it too much.