PDA

View Full Version : Grappling

Red
04-20-2000, 09:41 PM
Now personally I do kung fu, but i thought i'd post something to maybe brighten the place up a bit!
Bjj and Graciejj have got a lot of publicity through NHB competitions because of their cool ground skills. My friend does JKD and he says that he does quite a bit of grappling. I was wondering what kind of grappling techniques are involved in JKD? eg chokes, locks etc.

------------------
Nothing is to be feared, only understood...

GinSueDog
04-23-2000, 10:15 AM
Most of the techniques I train in are from Sambo, Wrestling, Shoot Fighting, and of course BJJ just to name a few. Many of the techniques are adjusted for streetfighting and I know alot of the guys I train with enter grappling competitions.-ED

Ian Brewster
04-26-2000, 05:16 PM
Test

Ian Brewster
04-26-2000, 05:24 PM
JKD Grappling....

In my JKD class there are two kinds of grappling classes

The first class involves purely BJJ/Submission style grappling...This type of grappling is a combination of grappling arts and functional grappling elements from around the world (Judo, Sambo, Greco-Roman, Shoot, BJJ, JJ, Pankration etc.)
This type of grapplinghelps studnets gain a good feeling for the ground and helps to make the student more comfortable in a ground based fight.

The second more advanced kind of grappling class involves putting on some light head gear and goggles and we go all out. Bites, hair, pulls, strikes, slaps, eye gouges, head butts, elbows, knees and submissions are all allowed. This kind of training is to prepare the studen for the ultimate reality of ground fighting on the street...in these cases we sometimes use no mats either...or we'll throw in a knife or stick or gun to make things interesting..CQB grappling with knives...think about it....

The second type of training is put together with stand up every so often and we have a VALE TUDo style JKD NHB event. Where all attacks are allowed (excercising ultimate control however)

JKD grappling is ultimately to prepare the studnet for the reality of combat, therefor our approach is a little different than say a BJJ guy or a Sambo guy...that is not to say that these forms of grappling are not effective...

Hope this helps,
Ian