PDA

View Full Version : top three states, areas to train in , in USA

eomonroe00
10-15-2007, 03:53 PM
I have chosen to probably leave the great training state of new york, and i will relocate based primarily on martial arts teachers, so if you guys were leaving ny, but staying in the country , what top three states are on your list for martial arts teachers, style doesnt matter, wing chun, hung gar, tia chi, mantis, etc.

Whats your top three states(areas) , not including new york?

TenTigers
10-15-2007, 04:10 PM
personally, the only reason I haven't moved is
1)my students
2)my Sifus
3)my Hing-Dai
But, if I were to move anywhere well, it depends on what you want to do-California has great Hung-Ga and CLF,(too many to name) Florida has great CLF(Joe Kiet,Lee Siu-Hung,John Wai,etc), Minnisota has Gin Foon Mark,and I believe South Carolina has Chin Dai-Wai.New Mexico has Francisco Rivera, but he is very selective about who he teaches. Boston has Yang Jwing-Ming, but I believe he's moving. Not sure where adam Hsu or George Xu live-probably Califoria...I would go where the Chinese communities are. Look, if you can't even get decent Chinese food, you can forget about finding decent Gung-Fu!

SanHeChuan
10-15-2007, 05:21 PM
California
Florida
Texas

If you pick the right cities.

eomonroe00
10-15-2007, 07:20 PM
he ten tigers i contiously try to open your website, as listed next to your name on every post, tentigers.com, hoping one day it will be up, and it is not valid, do u have a school?

eomonroe00
10-15-2007, 07:26 PM
and my chinese friend tells me toronto has the best chinese food, any masters up there?

TenTigers
10-15-2007, 07:28 PM
yeah, but the new website is ten-tigers.com-only one page thus far-still under construction
don't yuo train at Ling Nam Siu Lum?

jdhowland
10-16-2007, 07:26 AM
Outside the U.S. I'd choose British Columbia. The eastern seaboard has a lot of good people, but for anyone considering a move west I would recommend California, Oregon and Hawaii. As usual, many of the best schools cannot be found in the yellow pages.

sanjuro_ronin
10-16-2007, 07:44 AM
and my chinese friend tells me toronto has the best chinese food, any masters up there?

The good ones teach "public" to the public, you have to be a tudai to get the "real" kung fu and by that I mean real training.

xcakid
10-16-2007, 08:38 AM
CA, specifically the bay area.
IL, specifically Chicago
WA

Would be my choices

onehawaiian
10-27-2007, 06:33 PM
i'm partial to hawaii.
there are a lot of practitioners, professional and family alike.
the culture is so diverse u get an amazing amount of MA options.
and the knowledge base of the average individual makes it fun to learn and/or teach.

just my opinion. :cool:

TenTigers
10-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Hawaii, Southern California, and Florida-good gung-fu, and thongs. What more can you ask for? Besides, you can train outdoors all year round, and all your Chinese New Year shows and Lion dances are in warm weather. In NY, Chinese New Year falls on the coldest days of the year.

jmd161
10-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Hawaii, Southern California, and Florida-good gung-fu, and thongs. What more can you ask for? Besides, you can train outdoors all year round, and all your Chinese New Year shows and Lion dances are in warm weather. In NY, Chinese New Year falls on the coldest days of the year.

Agreed on Cali and FL!

Florida has a lot of sifu that you would never know they're there. Not big advertisers, but a lot of styles to choose from.

jeff:)

Fox
10-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Depends on how much you are willing to pay.

Cali for sure.
I have trained mostly overseas in Germany, as well as Mass and, Ok.

Dale Dugas
10-29-2007, 09:00 PM
Come to MA, as we got a some people that are worth studying with

Fox
10-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Come to MA, as we got a some people that are worth studying with

If I ever decide to move back east, I would be honored to train with you.

Kymus
10-31-2007, 06:58 AM
1) California (For CLF, Hung Gar, and Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming's new school that's being built)

2) Florida (Chan Poi)

3) Chicago (not familiar with the scene, but I'm sure there are plenty of top notch instructors there)

golden arhat
11-01-2007, 04:17 AM
nebraska

here ashida kim lives on a retreat out there

haha :p

HOKPAIWES
11-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Arkansas-Tibetan White Crane

Texas-Southern Praying Mantis(Henry Poo Yee)

hskwarrior
11-01-2007, 02:58 PM
IMO, California, especially the SF Bay Area. Truly, it is a martial arts mecca here. you can find almost any martial art here if you look.

as far as i know, its also the only place in the united states that houses all 3 branches of the choy lee fut system.

golden arhat
11-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Arkansas-Tibetan White Crane

Texas-Southern Praying Mantis(Henry Poo Yee)

hahaha he's called "poo" yee

i'm easily amused:D

phantom
12-20-2007, 09:33 AM
I would say certain areas of New Jersey, including Essex and Middlesex counties. There are many students of well-renowned masters teaching there.