PDA

View Full Version : The demise of the demise of TMA threads

BlueTravesty
10-15-2007, 07:27 PM
These threads seem to pop up from time to time, and I thought I'd chip in and open myself to flaming galore. My way of taking one for the team, so to speak.

Anywho, people keep expressing concern over the demise of Chinese Martial Arts, which I find strange. I actually think many of the opinions espoused by many on this board represent a sea change in TCMA- namely to bring back the "M." while keeping the "C", and then bringing back the "T." (Important, but not as important as the "M")

What I'm saying is that I've seen people on this board make 180 degree changes, going from "Dim Mak trumps groundfighting" to "Gee, maybe cross-training isn't so bad." It's pretty darn cool.

Yes, there are those who think Qi is a mystical power and not just good breathing coupled with proper body mechanics. Yes, there are those who still think they have a fair shot at Chuck Liddel with the eye-pokes they learn in their forms. These are the people who will kill CMA if they are given free reign.

But there are more who see that taking the combative nature from the arts actually takes away from the traditions. That failing to Acid-test the arts stagnates an otherwise rich and meaningful tradition. And more who realize that it is a rare person who can do both forms and fighting. More who will realize that it's time to be honest about what they're teaching. If this continues, CMA in general will become harder to find, but "real" TCMA, combative and rich and complex, will make up a higher percentage of what's taught out there. And hopefully, the "knee-jerk" reaction against ground-fighting and full-contact testing will continue to erode as it has for the past few years.

Just my two cents. Please take it well-salted. Sleepy time now.

SPJ
10-16-2007, 08:01 AM
I drove around the city nearby.

There are many TKD schools. one 24 h total fitness and one LA fitness/kick boxing. one Tai chi club. there was one Wushu Kung Fu school now moved away.

I would ask that for the kids living in this part of town. They would like to do some MA lessons. They probably go to a TKD school which is in the shopping area and closeby.

If they want some thing that is related to CMA, they would have to have parents drive them a bit further which is not so conveniet.

--

Yes. there is a no limits MMA school on the other side of the town. but mostly adults

--

believe it or not. the fitnee centers have more young and adult members. and TKD has more kid members.

--

we have to consider what people want??? when we talk about the popularity of a school.

we also have to consider the availability of the options for them???

:D;)