PDA

View Full Version : school curriculum

mkriii
10-16-2007, 12:07 PM
I have recently started teaching private lessons and hopfully going to open a school when I have enough students to do so. My question is about what my sash requirements should be. The curriculum that I am going to use is almost like what my sifu used with a few changes. I wanted to get your all's imput on what you think about it. Here is my tenative (sp?) curriculum that I was planning on using:

Yellow Sash

Front stance, horse stance (ma bu), drop stance
Reverse punch, palm strike, tiger claw, spear hand strike, back fist, thrust punch
Front instep kick, front ball kick, front thrust kick, side thrust kick, round
house kick
8 point blocks
Half moon walking (front stance training)
Three stance drill (horse, front, drop stances)
1 self defense against a single & double wrist grab, hair grab, lapel grab,
front choke
Punch defenses: 6, 7, 8, 9
Gung Li Chaun

Green Sash

Cat stance, crane stance
Ox hand strike, open tiger’s mouth, trigger finger, two finger poke, thumb strike, iron palm strike, crane beak, elbow strike
Hook kick, ax kick, spinning back kick, inside crescent kick, outside crescent kick, side blade kick
2 self defenses against: double wrist grab, lapel grab, hair grab, front choke, rear choke, side head lock
8 point blocks with strikes
Shaolin Power Drill
Punch defenses: 1, 4, 10, 12, 18, 19, 20, 21, 25, 26
Fu Jow Chaun (tiger fist form)
Staff Form for beginners

Blue Sash

T-stance, cross stance, sitting stance
Poison thumb strike, chicken wrist strike, immortal man strike, phoenix eye, crab bite,
lobster claw strike
Spinning hook kick, oblique kick, snake kick, scissors kick, jump front kick
3 self defenses against: double wrist grab, lapel grab, hair grab, front choke, rear choke, side head lock, rear bear hug, downward club
Punch defenses: 2, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 27, 30, 31, 32
Plum Flower Fist (crane form)
One (1) Chin Na technique
Wah Lum Broadsword

Red Sash

Lacerations, bear claw, leopard paw
3 self defenses against side club, arm lock from behind
4 defenses against double wrist grab, single wrist grab, front choke
Butterfly kick, leopard kick, jump inside crescent kick
Punch defenses: 5, 23, 24
Two (2) Chin Na techniques
She’ Chuan (snake fist form)

2nd Level Brown Sash*

4 self defenses against: side head lock, downward club, side club, rear choke
5 self defenses against: double wrist grab, single wrist grab, hair grab, lapel grab
Jump outside crescent kick, *butterfly twist
Punch defenses: 22, 33, 37
Four (4) Chin Na techniques
Short Staff
Leopard form

1st Level Brown Sash*

Dragon Fist Form
Wheel arm slap kick, rising heal kick, side stretch kick
Chin-Na 1 through 5
Wu Shu Warm-ups & basics
Punch defenses: 34, 35, 36, 38, 39, 40
Eight (8) Chin Na techniques
Beginning Grappling Skills

1st Level Black Sash

Review of ALL previous material and show proficiency in it.
Long Fist Form
Five animal form
Creative form (weapon at least 1 minute 30 sec. in length)
Snake Breathing Exercise
Punch Defenses: 37, 38, 39, 40
Ten (10) Chin Na techniques
Grappling Skills (takedowns and a few submissions)
Breaking one patio tile (to demonstrate focus, concentration, and striking skill)
10 hours teaching

2nd Level Black Sash

Review of ALL previous material
Monkey Fist Form or 7 Star Praying Mantis
Southern Fist Compulsary Form
Battle Ax
Two man set (sword vs. staff)
Twelve (12) Chin Na techniques
Grappling Skills (more takedowns and a lot more submissions)
Basic introduction to internal styles (Monkey Pa Qua & Tai Chi Chuan)
Break two patio tiles
10 hours teaching

LFJ
10-16-2007, 01:16 PM
whats wrong with keeping your sifu's way?

otherwise, what i do is skip the whole level deal, as it often breeds ego and is unnecessary, and just train everyone and teach them according to their own personal ability at any given time.

i feel your cirriculum is too systemized. its like slowly building robots that are all going to be the same. but the truth is, no one is ever going to be the same and you cant expect that from everyone- otherwise you'll end up forcing and impeding someone's advancement. each is an individual.

thats why i've never liked the level deal, where you learn this and this at this level and then this and that the next level.

besides, its not quite "chinese" by tradition. but if you want to make one up, then its your creation. do whatever you feel is good.

when i was training everyone was together but when it came to specific forms and techniques the teacher just taught each student what he thought they could do or what would work for them. so not all of us learned the same forms and techniques even though some may have been training the same amount of time.

mkriii
10-16-2007, 01:31 PM
The curriculum is almost the same but I have added a few things in the advanced sash level such as the praying mantis form, the five animal form and the grappling.
The two forms are forms that I learned from a work out buddy that I met in college. I liked the forms so I decided to add them to the curriculum. My sifu taught that you learn this at this sash and that at this sash up to black sash. Once you got to black sash thats when he would decide what the student should speacialize in such as monkey or snake style depending on the students ability. me for example am kind of stalky, strong, and fast (i wrestled in high school so I have a wrestle/football build) so I do a lot of tiger style. The grappling I added because I think that with the rise in popularity of the UFC that more people are learning to grapple so i think a person should know how to defend against it if a fight were to ever go to the ground. Like I said I wrestled for 4 years in high school and studied BJJ for a year. What I've done is combined the two so I really teach submission wrestling.

sean_stonehart
10-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Why are you teaching a Wah Lum set? Who'd you learn it from?

mkriii
10-16-2007, 01:48 PM
I learned it from Sifu Gary Dezarn at Four Seasons Kung Fu & Wu Shu Academy here in Lexington back in 1990 or sometime around then. I think Gary learned it from Grandmaster John Ng. Gary knows tons of different forms that he's picked up from people here and there.

ngokfei
10-16-2007, 03:13 PM
looks great the way you got it.

Since you are just starting out you only need the 1st rank.

After you've taught students for a while you'll definetly want to make changes (additions/deletions,etc)

Formulating a solid ranking curriculmn takes at least 5 years (or a student at each rank)

expect alot of revisions.

on a side note are you a branch of your teacher, if not then I'd suggest utilizing the more common belt color ranking as its more accepted in the public eye, especially in if you plan on doing tournaments.

good luck

mkriii
10-17-2007, 06:53 AM
What do you mean am I a branch of my teacher? I don't understand the question.

ngokfei
10-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Two terms are used to describe an individuals school/business.

A Branch is used when your teacher officially recognizes your school as a member of his organization. Generally you would be governed by them and as such would teach the same material that they do, continuity. Same Banner/Logo, Same Curriculumn, same testing/ranking, etc.

An Affiliate is a school that exists on its own but gives credit to a teacher/teachers where they obtained their education. With this you can teach whatever you like since you are not a Branch of an Organization.

mkriii
10-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Knowing that then, I would say that I am an affiliate. He recognizes my school and I have pretty much the same curriculum and I give him full credit for teaching me but we operate our own schools how we want. I still study under him BTW. He is Master John Dufresne and his teacher is Grandmaster Dr. John Wing Loc Ng. Master Dufresne lives in Boston area now and no longer in Lexington Kentucky but still see him every few months for training. He comes down to teach friends and old students. Subsequently, I was Master Dufresne's first black sash student (back in 1990).

:)

street_fighter
10-17-2007, 02:06 PM
whats up with the stances for each sash? you can easily learn all the stances in like 2 weeks...

MasterKiller
10-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Butterfly Twists for sash promotion?????

And you don't start grappling until Brown? That should be from day one.

Judge Pen
10-18-2007, 09:25 AM
whats up with the stances for each sash? you can easily learn all the stances in like 2 weeks...

Sure, but there could be a time componet for holding each stance for stability, form and endurance.

mkriii
10-19-2007, 07:22 AM
If you look at the butterfly twist you will see that there is an * next to it. I didn't put it in my post but what that means is that the twist is not required but would be nice if they could and they might get some "brownie points" for being able to do it. As for the grappling, I will probably start my students earlier in that. Seeing it's not really kung fu i was going to start teaching that later but I probably will start around blue sash. Like I said I'm just starting and this curriculum is not set in stone yet. For the stances I think it's a little hard for a beginer to remember 10 or more stances. Lets see, there is the horse stance, front stance, drop stance, t stance, 60/40 stance, sitting stance, cross stance, cat stance, fighting stance, non ready stance, etc... Besides the first form that they learn is Gung Li Chuan and it only consists of maybe horse stance (ma bu), front stance, and maybe one other. Its a basic form for beginers. What I've done is put the stances at a point in the curriculum when they are going to need to know the stances. No use in knowing a stance when they don't need to know it untill 2 sashes down the road. Why clutter thier mind and confuse them more. YOU might have a terrific memory but not all people do, especially someone new to m.a.'s.. For the test the student just needs to show that they know the stance. They don't have to hold it for any length of time. It's not until later ranks that I will make them hold ma bu for long periods of time and that would be on the endurance and phycological part of the test where I'm testing to see how badly they want that next sash.

xcakid
10-19-2007, 08:37 AM

Sure, but there could be a time componet for holding each stance for stability, form and endurance.

At our school we learn 7 basic stances in the beginner level. We hold the stances in testing, gradually increasing time to 1minute in each side of the stance by the time you test for BB.

Around the intermediate level, we ad intermediate stances. Again holding them gradaully increasing time to 1minute for your BB test.

However in classes we hold them far longer than that to train. So by the time you take you BB test, you should be able to hold them with your thighs parallel to the ground on your gong bu, mah bu and others.

sonny1595
10-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Typical commercial training.

Thank you for all your comments ....... If is safe to say that maybe 5% - 10% of the KungFu community might be getting some actual training with real Master.

mkriii
10-19-2007, 12:10 PM
sonny....so what are you saying? That I didn't learn from a qualified teacher? Do you own a school? Do you have a belt system of any kind? What makes my curriculum a "typical commercial school"? You don't even know who my teacher is. My teacher lived in China for almost 7 years. Speaks fluent Chinese. He does accupuncture. He does Tai Chi. He does Pa Qua. And he also does Hsing I Chuan. He has been nationaly ranked #1 in forms competition and fighting throughout the 80's on the NASKA circuit. Has been in Chinese martial arts for probably 30+ years. He is very well known in the martial arts community and knows many great masters. He's made self defense videos with Grandmaster Tsai back in the early 90's. He knows and associates with masters like Dennis Brown, Nick Scrima, Steve "nasty" Anderson, Anthony Price, Terry Creamer, Bill Wallace, Jeff Smith, and many many more. He has also worked out and trained with the Bejing Wu Shu Team (back in 1991 or 92). The curriculum that I have set is almost identicle to his with the exception of the grappling. I added that. Again, I ask you, how do you determine your curiculum if you don't have set material for each sash or belt?

ginosifu
10-20-2007, 06:55 AM
I am curious about your animal forms. What system did they come from? I am especially interested in Monkey forms. Who taught you the Monkey Form? What system is it from? Is it wushu or traditional? Any info would be appreciated.

BTW your curriculum look s good.

Ginosifu :p

Shaolin Wookie
10-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Oh, I thought the asterisk meant that if you came up with a combat application for a butterfly twist, you automatically earned a black belt.

Seriously, it isn't easy to accomplish that.;)

mkriii
10-22-2007, 06:48 AM
All of my forms were taught to me by my teacher John Dufresne who learned them from Grandmaster Wing Loc Ng. The monkey form is not a wu shu form, it is a traditional form.

MasterKiller
10-22-2007, 07:09 AM
Why do you think you need to break material up by rank in order for it to be taught effectively?

MasterKiller
10-22-2007, 07:32 AM
If you look at the butterfly twist you will see that there is an * next to it. I didn't put it in my post but what that means is that the twist is not required but would be nice if they could and they might get some "brownie points" for being able to do it. .

Can you do a buttefly twist?

mkriii
10-22-2007, 07:44 AM
The reason that I break the material up into "ranks" is because #1. If you have a set curriculum then your students will have something (a goal) to work towards #2A set curriculum makes it easy to judge and test to see if the student is ready for his/her next sash #3 A set curriculum makes it easier to attract prospective students. I don't know of any parents or students who want to go into a martial art school and there not be any type of curriculum and not know what he or she has to do for thier next belt rank. Most students want to know what is required of them to get a black belt/sash. I have taken classes in a school that didn't have a curriculum and it sucked. After about a year I knew as much as students that were of higher rank than me but because they had studied longer they had a higher belt rank. I was just as good as them if not better. To me it's just easier all around to have a set curriculum. I don't see anything wrong with this method. 99% of schools I've seen have a set curriculum. My teacher had one for his students.

mkriii
10-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Oh, I almost forgot to answer the question about the butterfly twist.......The answer is no, I can't do one now BUT i used to be able to. I know the mechanics of how to twist your body and I can teach someone how to do one. I can do a butterfly kick. I can still do aerials, kip ups, chinese & american splits, and just about any other wu shu "trick". Can you do a butterfly twist? Why do you ask if I can do one? Did you think that I would put something on my test that I couldn't do or at least at one time be able to do?

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-22-2007, 08:26 AM
My system is broken down in to various levels, each manged by the form for that level. I don't teach the form till the end though. Level 1 is the only odd ball.

Level 1 - All the basics, drills, stances and Qi Gongs like Kuang Yun Chuang and Ba Duan Jin. Wu Bu Chuan is the form. It is generally close to the last thing I teach. For self defense I teach the 18 common Shaolin techniques, only all the ones that are similar to Tai Tzu techniques, I substitute and do the Tai Tzu ones instead.

Drills include Kicking drills, falling and rolling drills, solo and two man foot work drills, etc.... The footwork drills are designed to lead to simple free sparring with an emphasis on working the foortwork to gain position in an alive manor.Punch, block and evade drills are taught too.

There is a conditioning system I have as well. That is built up on and expanded in later levels

This level is basically every basic exercise I have, that would be lay a good foundation for the rest of the system. I don't really have it all in writing, but the jist of it is in my head.

The student may not be taught all of it. I try to teach what they need the most. For example, someone with previous experience who is a good kicker may not really do all the marching kick drills. If they do, it may not be too often.

Level II is focused around the apps and twoman work using the techniques that make up the first form, plus some new drills for body mechanics and Taiji like push hands drills. Again, the foortwork drills from before, that became simple sparring in level I, become full sparring in this level.

Level III and up are all the same as level II, only all the techniques and apps come from the next form in the line. Occasionally I have a bit of added material to throw in as well, like common Shaolin Qi Gongs (CLF's 18 Louhan Hands, Sui Xue Jing etc...) Each level has additional stuff added to the conditioning system, which is ever evolving.

I have thought to write out certificates for each level, but I really don't have anyone who is ready. Each level takes about a year to complete.

Judge Pen
10-22-2007, 08:32 AM
Can you do a buttefly twist?

Are you talking about this?

http://www.martinvidic.com/martinvidic_en_2006/flash_mavi/wushu_butterfly_twist_-_XZZT.htm

MasterKiller
10-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Are you talking about this?

http://www.martinvidic.com/martinvidic_en_2006/flash_mavi/wushu_butterfly_twist_-_XZZT.htm

Yes. BTW, it's a wushu move. Not traditional.

mkriii
10-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Yes, thats what I'm talking about.

mkriii
10-22-2007, 09:02 AM
Yes I know it's not a traditional move but I also teach a few wu shu forms such as the long fist compulsary and I teach a southern fist wu shu form which is also a compulsary form. I teach these at a higher rank, black sash and 2 level black sash. I didn't say that I was all traditional. I teach these forms mainly for tournament competition. The 5 different animal forms I teach are traditional along with Gung Li Chuan, the staff form, and the broadsword form that I teach.